Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Mordred.

ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

Think its possible????

I know FFA PvP servers are the VAST minority but i think theres a good 10,000+ people who would love to have a Rallos Zek / Mordred type server.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

No its not possible.

Arenanet will concentrate on one server type and one server type only.  If you want world PvP its available, go to the Mists for the huge WvWvW zones... Allways PvP allways challenge, and on top of that no more ganking players that are busy with PvE. The best of all worlds.

MMO history has tought us that a game works best on the server type it was intended to be played.

Want FFA, find an FFA type of MMO.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

Some people don't think that forced alliances and implied PvE safety is the "best of both worlds". FFA encourages player politics on a Guild / Individual level as opposed to assuming everyone to be on your side.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah, it "encourages" guilds/individuals to decide to gang up on players who are trying to enjoy the game and not assert their phallic dominance on everyone else.  There are plenty of games like that to choose from already.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

The OP is just bringing up options...meaning your opinions on not wanting to play that way is fine, but besides the actual point.  Some people would enjoy this, thus appealing to the fans that would on a server or two.  You still have your options of playing "pve" servers.  With that all said, I'd still play the traditional way but can see the benefits for some different playstyles.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Anything is possible on the lunatic fringe but I don't see how it would work out with all the emphasis on cooperation in dynamic events.  You could level to max in WvW if you really wanted but I imagine that it would get pretty boring after a while. 

Sorry bro, game might not be for you if you're really itching to gank some folks.  I too brought my maxed out darkfall archer/mage hybrid to newbie zones to ruin their day and make them quit before their trial time was over, but eventually it got dull so I bounced.  Man, those politics were exquisite, too.  I won't forget that eventful moment in Darkfall history when.. um.  Huh.  I forgot.

Personally, after holding halls in 1 with both incredible cheese and balancedway, and seeing what crazy measures even anet had to go to in order to keep balance (LOL SMITER'S BOON) I came to the conclusion that pvp in MMOs is extra lulzy, even in full loot gankfest scenarios.  When I want to beat people up, I fire up Dota 2 or some FPS.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Try EvE or wait for AA.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by ImixZinz

Think its possible????

I know FFA PvP servers are the VAST minority but i think theres a good 10,000+ people who would love to have a Rallos Zek / Mordred type server.

Nope it's NOT possible , becaue it will go against every thing GW and Gw2 had been designed around, it will go against each decission of how a gaming experience should be , that ArenaNet have shared with us. It's simply the wrong gmaing compagny to expect this from. Answer provided , thread can be closed.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Think its possible????

Possible, maybe, but I sure hope not. I would never play there, and all I do is PvP.

History has shown there arent enough of you to support a server.

• SarielleSarielle Member Posts: 91

Yeah, the dynamic event mechanic pretty much makes it impossible imo.

I have enjoyed FFA servers, but I think WvW will be a decent substitute (though not quite the same). I know everybody goes straight for the "FFAers only want to grief newbies!" line but I miss seeing people roll up... then either be relieved they're friends or have that "Oh sh..." moment when you see that enemy guild tag. I miss rivalries and playing king of the hill with townships and such.

But the siege mechanic will be amazing, and I can definitely live without FFA.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Adalwulff

History has shown there arent enough of you to support a server.

I dunno, the highest pop servers in AoC were the FFA ones. I dunno about once they broke everything with massive gear dependency and AA grind, but used to be tons of people playing on Cimmeria and Tyranny in particular.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Nope. This is objectively a bad idea.

And I can tell you why, of course I can.

Think abou it. In order to implement something like this so close to release, or even soon after release, they'd have to dedicate serious amounts of development resources to it. This would mean:

• If after release: Taking people off the development of the inevitable, upcoming campaign expansion.

• If before release: Taking people off the bug fixing, polishing, and balance checking.

This would either delay the release of the game, or delay the upcoming expansion pack. Either means less money for them. Now, is the delay and the resources and manpower they'd have to utilise worth it for them, monetarily? Absolutely not! This game has never been marketed at any hardcore audience, and it's been made fairly clear that unlike Guild Wars 1, PvP is a sideshow. This is because they realise that PvE is where the money is.

See, creating an FFA server would be as much of a folly as creating WoW-like end game. You're never going to pull those audiences away from WoW/TOR or EvE/Mortal Online. So financially speaking you'd have to be a right dumpkoff to even consider this, because it's detracting from your target demographic. Not only that, but you'd have to start marketing an FFA server - and this would confuse your target demographic, and you may even lose numbers of your target demographic which are greater than the numbers you'd gain.

Now here's the question: Everyone should know that, so why does this thread exist?

Answer: The wishful thinking of vultures.

I'm sorry, but it's true, and you know it as much as I do.

The reason that the OP of this thread and folks like that won't go and play EvE or WvWvW is because they know that they'll be up against skilled players. What they want is an FFA server which inevitably people will join to be with friends, so they'll have easy prey. There'll be these 'CURRBURRS' who they'll be able to take out. This will suit them because their skill is only marginally above that of the 'currburr,' who doesn't possess the PvP skillset at all.

Here's a fun realisation: I've never heard a good PvPer use 'carebear.' Think about that. And I like watching eSports, and when you're watching these matches, whether they're in MMOs designed for PvP, or PvP games in general, never do you hear someone mention 'currburr.'

This is because that word essentially means 'person who won't roll over and die for me.'

I'm sorry, but someone has to highlight the ugly truth of this.

And it IS ugly. Sorry.

Look, either learn to play and PvP with the pros in WvWvW, or do PvE like the rest of us dirty peons.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Arenanet will concentrate on one server type and one server type only.  If you want world PvP its available, go to the Mists for the huge WvWvW zones... Allways PvP allways challenge, and on top of that no more ganking players that are busy with PvE. The best of all worlds.

MMO history has tought us that a game works best on the server type it was intended to be played.

thank you for pointing the ganking thing out. Imagine my surprise being completely new to the mmo world at all in World of Warcraft, finally finishing my quests to leave the beginner zone and finding another player standing there with a red nameplate with a skull in it and suddenly i'm running back to my body. 

Never pleasant especially for first timers. It's ridiculous and sad that idiot losers are sitting around on games RIGHT now and think that it's fun or somehow cool to do this to people.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Think its possible????

NOPE because the Developers at Anet will not bastardize their game and vision just to pul lin a few more box sales.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Think its possible????

NOPE because the Developers at Anet will not bastardize their game and vision just to pul lin a few more box sales.

Really? Because they've already done that with instancing and instant teleportation.

How would an optional server "bastardize" the game? Almost every MMO has a FFA PVP server.

A lot of you "civlized" PvE folks are acting like total snobs. "No it's NOT possible because I don't like it!"

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Think abou it. In order to implement something like this so close to release, or even soon after release, they'd have to dedicate serious amounts of development resources to it.

How do you figure? It's just a PvP toggle. All they'd have to do is turn PvP on instead of off. Done.

This guy isn't asking for a totally different game, just a FFA PvP server.

Granted, FFA PvP servers, in my general experience, are terrible in level based MMOs like WOW and EQ, but a LOT of people like them. I prefer FFA PVP when the entire game is designed around it.

Originally posted by Garvon3

Think its possible????

Really? Because they've already done that with instancing and instant teleportation.

How would an optional server "bastardize" the game? Almost every MMO has a FFA PVP server.

Instant Teleportation and Instancing was a feature of GW1 so it is not inclusive to being some anti-MMO concept that only becaame a feature in GW2.

As for your 2nd question, how would it bastardize the game.......Simple google searches will show that the concept for GW2 and it is engrained in their foundational and genre re-defining manefesto at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3jqbDq5hA  Anet wants to build a game for the community, of the community and by the community whereby at no point whatsoever in the course of a gamers adventures will he/she despise to see another player.  I am sorry if you think otherwise but your inability to actually understand the core concepts of what will make GW2 truely innovative and "fun" for the majority is not my fault.  Besides as has been stated elsewhere, this might not be the game for you, check out some of the other FFA type MMO's that are already out and or are soon to be released.   

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Think abou it. In order to implement something like this so close to release, or even soon after release, they'd have to dedicate serious amounts of development resources to it.

How do you figure? It's just a PvP toggle. All they'd have to do is turn PvP on instead of off. Done.

Granted, FFA PvP servers, in my general experience, are terrible in level based MMOs like WOW and EQ, but a LOT of people like them. I prefer FFA PVP when the entire game is designed around it.

As soon as MO or Darkfall offers a PvE only server then maybe I might agree with your assessment.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, the game have some instanced dungeons, but I wouldn´t call that "bastardize". As the instant travel it is a feature from the first game, like it or not.

But the real problem is that just adding a different ruleset without making the game to fit it never becomes good. I am not at all against PvP servers but they should have had that in mind when they made the game, not patch it in like an afterthought.

I played many MMOs made for PvE on PvP servers but it is never really good. All games with good PvP have had that ruleset in mind when they started making the game, like DaoC.

Of course if the game becomes huge they can probably revamp it for PvP servers but it would actually be a lot of work to make it good. Just throwing it in because they can´t just wont happen, Anet don´t work that way.t

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah, it "encourages" guilds/individuals to decide to gang up on players who are trying to enjoy the game and not assert their phallic dominance on everyone else.  There are plenty of games like that to choose from already.

this

Think its possible????

Instant Teleportation and Instancing was a feature of GW1 so it is not inclusive to being some anti-MMO concept that only becaame a feature in GW2.

As for your 2nd question, how would it bastardize the game.......Simple google searches will show that the concept for GW2 and it is engrained in their foundational and genre re-defining manefesto at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3jqbDq5hA  Anet wants to build a game for the community, of the community and by the community whereby at no point whatsoever in the course of a gamers adventures will he/she despise to see another player.  I am sorry if you think otherwise but your inability to actually understand the core concepts of what will make GW2 truely innovative and "fun" for the majority is not my fault.  Besides as has been stated elsewhere, this might not be the game for you, check out some of the other FFA type MMO's that are already out and or are soon to be released.   

[mod edit]

And as for your first point, since GW1 wasn't an MMO, I'd say features like instancing and teleporation are inclusive in being anti-MMO. In fact, instancing is about as anti MMO as you can get.

As soon as MO or Darkfall offers a PvE only server then maybe I might agree with your assessment.

Darkfall is a game that's entirely built around PvP. Remove that, and it simply does not work.

However, GW2, absolutely nothing would "break" if a PvP toggle was turned on. Nothing broke in AC1, or EQ, or DAoC, or any of the other games that had FFA PvP servers. It's simply an option for those that like that type of gameplay. How is this hard for people to understand?

Originally posted by ariboersma

this

Uh.. pro tip. If you don't want to have people interrupt you from "trying to enjoy the game" then don't play on the PvP server? How all you people can get this worked up over a server that will have absolutely NO impact on you at all blows my mind and then reminds me why the MMO genre is doomed.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

My strong hunch is there would be a lot more 'architectural' issues with the technology than some games. Still wouldn't hurt trying it.....might be the new Darktide.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Darkfall is a game that's entirely built around PvP. Remove that, and it simply does not work.

However, GW2, absolutely nothing would "break" if a PvP toggle was turned on. Nothing broke in AC1, or EQ, or DAoC, or any of the other games that had FFA PvP servers. It's simply an option for those that like that type of gameplay. How is this hard for people to understand?

It would take less work to make a GW2 PvP server but it would still take plenty of work.

When you just add FFA PvP to a game not made for it you get AoC all over again. and I opersonally thought that EQ made a really crappy job with PvP. In DaoC it kinda messed up the endgame but it was still a lot better than EQ. never played AC.

Companies should still do it well or not at all.

Adding PvE to darkfall is actually not that different, you change the concept of the game to something it isn´t designed for and it is really hard to make that well.

Now, I don´t personally care if GW2 does it or not, but they should at least do it well in that case. far too many games just add in features without bothering to make it work as it should.

Originally posted by Loke666

It would take less work to make a GW2 PvP server but it would still take plenty of work.

When you just add FFA PvP to a game not made for it you get AoC all over again. and I opersonally thought that EQ made a really crappy job with PvP. In DaoC it kinda messed up the endgame but it was still a lot better than EQ. never played AC.

I agree, and I said as much in my original post. HOWEVER, other people seem to really like FFA PVP servers in those games, so there's really no reason NOT to do it.

It would not be possible to do FFA PVP well in GW2, but the people looking for a Mordred type server aren't looking for FFA PVP done well. They're looking for Guild Wars, plus PvP.

All the base game is still there, with some extra PvP.

With Darkfall, you're TAKING AWAY. And by taking something away, you break the game. Massive numbers of items become completely useless. The market becomes broken and oversaturated. There's no overarching end game. No point to any of it really.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by ariboersma

this

Uh.. pro tip. If you don't want to have people interrupt you from "trying to enjoy the game" then don't play on the PvP server? How all you people can get this worked up over a server that will have absolutely NO impact on you at all blows my mind and then reminds me why the MMO genre is doomed.

there IS NO SERVER CHOICES IN GW2 or did you miss that? World PVP is just a way for jerks to harass others. It has no business in ANY friendly game. There are no factions in GW2 because in a world being attacked by giant dragons you sorta have to work together... or die...

also many games do not offer a pvp or pve choice so you are stuck with being killed for no reason by someone 3 times your lvl. Its stupid, its not PVP, its not how ANY civilized person should act.