Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i dont think gw2 is going to be the the best game ever [Mod Edit]

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Khaeros

Originally posted by StoneRoses

graphs

Graphs?  Will a chart work instead?

You got it bro!

Nice chart, bro.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

As I have often written, and you can skip this posting if you read my postings about GW2 before, as I write nothing new - GW1 has bored me to death in 3 days. I fail to see how GW2 will be any different. I like some concepts of GW and its a solid game, no question, and B2P is great if it works - but I myself probably wont buy GW2 at all, ever.

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

i never understand why we keep having such discussions again and again. There is nothing called an IDEAL or BEST MMORPG. Heck there is no Best GAME ever Made. Not possible cant be done. Well to be honest nothing in this world is ever made with one size fits all. Games like any other thing in the world is made for target market. You dont like the game sorry you are not the target market, you like the game, yes cause it was made for you. There is no right or wrong in gaming. PERSONAL CHOICE rules ! 

You can argue about a game is its bugs, lag, unoptimized game etc etc, technicalities i can agree. A game can have a discussion on those lines. This game is too buggy not good agreed.  This MMORPG has too low an FPS not good agreed. But you cant argue with the concept of the developer. They make what they want to make and for an audience that wants to play their game. Its the Devs god damn game/ concept let him make it. its up to him if he wants to make some thing that has an audience of 1 million or 10k. Either of which doesnt make one a bad or a wrong game period.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I can understand constructive criticism like "i don't like the non traditional trinity system" or "why can't i have a traditional questing design" but seriously why make things up?!

"-semi action combat ; you still auto target and click buttons, enemies can just move out of the way now"

Uhm no, five seconds looking at any combat video will prove you wrong, that's not to say that mobs won't gain dodge eventually because of the stacking ability unlocks that occur when the mobs are part of an event. The second reason you are wrong about this is due to their skill abilities ALL being AOE, yep that's right swings actually matter now. No targeting needed. There are no single target only classes anymore. The target options are in there for more traditional players so they can do what they are used to doing instead of the game's default. 

" it seems like some events just keep repeating eg. those dragon encounters and the ghost ship." 

the videos showing how chained events were for show at the Cons to demonstrate the final scenes of chained events. due to the limited time the press has had to play in betas they really have only showed what you encounter at the beginning or middle of chained events. the entire chains were not completely there in the older videos and that's the reason why (as they explained in the videos containing dev commentary) that's why they repeated because it was a tiny fraction of the events available to show scale the epic encounters have, It wasn't anywhere near the final product.

Please please people if you are going to bash a game at the VERY least get your facts straight, especially when these arguements are 1: simply designed to bash a game that isn't out yet and of which we haven't seen in it's entirety and 2: any five year old browsing the internet can see is the claims are not true with one video viewing.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

So OP what do you concider 'the best game ever'?

Who cares if it's the 'best game ever' anyway? As long as its fun and reasonably fresh who cares. Good? Better? Best? I'll settle for good. Fresh would be a big bonus (lets not use the emotive inovative word either).

Not sure why I responded probablly valid points but I would guess an attempt to inflame (the mode edit would add weight to that thought).

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Gorilla

Who cares if it's the 'best game ever' anyway? As long as its fun and reasonably fresh who cares. Good? Better? Best? I'll settle for good. Fresh would be a big bonus (lets not use the emotive inovative word either).

Not sure why I responded probablly valid points but I would guess an attempt to inflame (the mode edit would add weight to that thought).

Best game ever is all subjective.  To some it may not be, but for me Ive been waiting for this game for 2 years now every since I watched the GDC conference in 2010 and from that moment forward I knew that GW2 would be "THE BEST GAME EVER" for me.  Which is all I ask for.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Best game ever, nah. It'll just be better than every MMO currently released.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

The best game ever is life.

A shame it's pay to win.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Has anyone other than the press actually been able to get there hands on GW2 and play it?? Right now I think the majority of positive / negative feedback and opinions, is based off speculation and the hope that the GW2 - MMO franchise will be what saves the ever-so-looming descent and fall of present day MMOs.

Though I for one am looking forward to the dynamic-event / quest system and story of GW2, but the best and only way I can trully make a definitive review of any game....Well is by actually playing the damn thing! 

So I'll patiently keep waiting till then...  image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by bishbosh

to be honest im starting to feel the gw2 doesnt offer that much over WOW clones

-semi action combat ; you still auto target and click buttons, enemies can just move out of the way now

-realm vs realm pvp; this is a decent pvp feature but it still doesnt exploit the potential a mmorpg has to offer. im referring to player  owned cities that can be taken over by other players.

-"dynamic" events/quests. dynamic/non dynamic isnt as black and white as it seems. there is degrees of dynamic and this depends completely on the size of the pool of events/quests that a game can choose from. it seems like some events just keep repeating eg. those dragon encounters and the ghost ship. how is this different to a dungeon? i dont think gw2 events will have real consequences just like RIFT. i cant see invasions having consequences unless they affect player owned settlements/cities/castles. in RIFT you dont really care when a quest hub is taken because it isnt your quest hub. its the communities quest hub and you dont really care about the community because such are modern mmorpgs.

GW2 don´t have to be the best game ever made, good is enough.

Player guilds can still own keeps and towers. Yeah, being able to build your own towns is really cool but this is still the RvR that sounds most fun since DaoC.

DEs are made to replace quests and to make the game less linear. No more questhubs and questchains you must complete.

GW2 is a themepark and does that very good, but you are looking for a sandbox. They are not really the same type of MMORPG, check out Archeage or WoDO instead. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

Has anyone other than the press actually been able to get there hands on GW2 and play it?? Right now I think the majority of positive / negative feedback and opinions, is based off speculation and the hope that the GW2 - MMO franchise will be what saves the ever-so-looming descent and fall of present day MMOs.

Though I for one am looking forward to the dynamic-event / quest system and story of GW2, but the best and only way I can trully make a definitive review of any game....Well is by actually playing the damn thing! 

There are plenty people here who played it 30 or 40 minutes at places like Gamescon and Comiccon.

But you are of course right, people wont truly know if the game is good or not until they actually tried it.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Played for 24 mins last year at PAX.....Thank You Very Much.  I stand by my assertion that subjectively GW2 will be the best game ever "for me".

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

A shame it's pay to win.

I 100% and respectfully disagree with you... "Life" is far from being a game, its in fact-reality and the only one that most, if not all - of us have. The choices you make in life, tend to stick with you for the duration of that life...Unfortuneately, life doesn't have a "reset button." Sad thing is alot of people can't distinguish the line between fiction and reality...

Work hard and make the right choices - You'll never have to pay for anything, but only for the things you want. In most cases you "Reap what you sow."

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

There's plenty of stuff to dislike about GW2. I personally don't like the setting/races, the way they highjack your character in cutscene dialogues, or the fact that you automatically "level down" when you go back to starting areas.

I'm going to try it out though, because it does a lot of interesting stuff as well :)

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Gorilla

Best game ever is all subjective.  To some it may not be, but for me Ive been waiting for this game for 2 years now every since I watched the GDC conference in 2010 and from that moment forward I knew that GW2 would be "THE BEST GAME EVER" for me.  Which is all I ask for.

Of course it is that is why I asked him. My point is really who cares if it is good, better or best? Well presumably the original poster does but as I said it seems that may just be flame bait.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Hey bro...

...someone forgot to tell you but talking down about Guild Wars 2 will not be tolerated :P

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by rojo6934

-semi action combat ; you still auto target and click buttons, enemies can just move out of the way now

true... last time i played i stared at my keyboard for 10 minutes.... after my warrior died i realised i have to click buttons for the game to actually work.

wow... the fact that devs have no moved beyond this style of gameplay is horrible. who likes clicking stuff anyway? and to think, i was actually semi-excited about this game until i learned this. i MUST write them an angry letter.

Originally posted by GrumpyJester

There's plenty of stuff to dislike about GW2. I personally don't like the setting/races, the way they highjack your character in cutscene dialogues, or the fact that you automatically "level down" when you go back to starting areas.

I'm going to try it out though, because it does a lot of interesting stuff as well :)

The scale-down of areas / zones / content is actually IMO a great idea. It really allows for things to never go to waste and allows players that missed certain quests, to try events / quests - without being OP / over leveled for that situation. Even when you decide to level an Alt...The path and combat will surely not be the same.

A shame it's pay to win.

I 100% and respectfully disagree with you... "Life" is far from being a game, its in fact-reality and the only one that most, if not all - of us have. The choices you make in life, tend to stick with you for the duration of that life...Unfortuneately, life doesn't have a "reset button." Sad thing is alot of people can't distinguish the line between fiction and reality...

Work hard and make the right choices - You'll never have to pay for anything, but only for the things you want. In most cases you "Reap what you sow."

Reality is subjective. we all live in our bodies, and it is our BODIES that share reality together. we all percieve things differently, and words are just a system of descriptions that we agree work for the sake of communication.

you think you know what is real? laughable.... you only know what you see, hear, touch, smell, and feel... do you really think all of existence is ruled by these 5 simple concepts?..... humans are amusing creatures indeed.....

Originally posted by Zairu

A shame it's pay to win.

Reality is subjective. we all live in our bodies, and it is our BODIES that share reality together. we all percieve things differently, and words are just a system of descriptions that we agree work for the sake of communication.

you think you know what is real? laughable.... you only know what you see, hear, touch, smell, and feel... do you really think all of existence is ruled by these 5 simple concepts..... humans are amusing creatures indeed.....

Well I'm pretty sure REAL in HUMAN terms is:

1. physically existing: having actual physical existence

2. verifiable: verifiable as actual fact, e.g. legally or scientifically

3. not imaginary: existing as fact, rather than as a product of dreams or the imagination

Other than things related to religion and Science, which has yet to be proven and probably will never be...

What planet are you from again?

I'd like to add: THIS IS WAY  image

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Really man you should take a look at ArcheAge and start lobbying your congressman for this game to find a western publisher...

I was always a sandbox proponent but GW2 made me sit up and take notice. Don't be so close-minded. Maybe a game can really surprise you, even if it's themepark. And maybe some themepark folks can get surprised by ArcheAge.

Imo this extremist themepark/sandbox divide is hurting this genre more than benefitting it. Both sides had their preconceptions set in stone in the UO/EQ days and won't budge a millimeter from them. No wonder the mmo scene is so slow to change and innovate.

We really should move away from "sandboxes and themeparks" and allow a third and a fourth and maybe even fifth option to appear.

Originally posted by Zairu

A shame it's pay to win.

you think you know what is real? laughable.... you only know what you see, hear, touch, smell, and feel... do you really think all of existence is ruled by these 5 simple concepts..... humans are amusing creatures indeed.....

Well I'm pretty sure REAL in HUMAN terms is:

1. physically existing: having actual physical existence

2. verifiable: verifiable as actual fact, e.g. legally or scientifically

3. not imaginary: existing as fact, rather than as a product of dreams or the imagination

Other than things related to religion and Science, which has yet to be proven and probably will never be...

What planet are you from again?

wow... how long has it been since you paid any attention to science?

or better yet, yourself?

i feel like i'm talking to a dinosaur....

edit: did you actually take this thread seriously at all? i know i didn't. just messing with it while this risk game fills up.

Nope, not at all...Lol. I'm just going to different MMOs and posting my thoughts as I read these threads. image

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i dont think that it will be the best game ever either

im not even sure it will be the  best game out  when its relesased

i do think though because its buy to play and the the hype about the game they will maintain a huge player base for a long time  (i guess they cant lose a subscription so they cant lose anyone )

and when people play a game it kinda generates its own success 

if  any of the other mmo's which have been released over the last 4-5 years was buy to play they probably would have been a huge success

but greed  and asking for a sub  has lost them players(most in the first month) and probably a lot of money in the long term

because when people see falling subscription numbers they instantly think a game is bad or dying

when guild wars 2 comes out any new mmo will have to justify there subscription or no one will play the game 

they have  to offer somthing which is worth the cost of the subscription and based on the past nothing  i have seen has ever been worth £10 a month

you might of had  the odd  update which for a single month  was worth£10, but month after month  no  game has given people value for money

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

to be honest im starting to feel the gw2 doesnt offer that much over WOW clones

-realm vs realm pvp; this is a decent pvp feature but it still doesnt exploit the potential a mmorpg has to offer. im referring to player  owned cities that can be taken over by other players.

-"dynamic" events/quests. dynamic/non dynamic isnt as black and white as it seems. there is degrees of dynamic and this depends completely on the size of the pool of events/quests that a game can choose from. it seems like some events just keep repeating eg. those dragon encounters and the ghost ship. how is this different to a dungeon? i dont think gw2 events will have real consequences just like RIFT. i cant see invasions having consequences unless they affect player owned settlements/cities/castles. in RIFT you dont really care when a quest hub is taken because it isnt your quest hub. its the communities quest hub and you dont really care about the community because such are modern mmorpgs.

I agree with the dynamic quests part. It was just a gimmick in Rift, because as you said, no-one really cares about the quest hubs being taken over. It is if no real consequence to most people.

Likewise in GW 2 I doubt the dynamic quests will have any impact. I think it will just be quests with dependency that goes around in circles (much like Public Quests stages). But the outcome will not have any serious consequences, if any.