Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played this.. worth trying?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I played DF.. liked it, but it was still a bit too daunting unless you had 20000 hours a day to play. Is this any better?

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

The difference between DF and MO is...

-DF has no skill cap at this point. So everyone creates a Fightercasterranger character.

-MO has no quests, so no more kill 2000 goblins.

-MO's resource and crafting system is more sandboxey, you can drink and gather water out of rivers for example and use it to cook.

-MO's 1st person is more immersive.

-MO is more realistic, you have to eat, sleep, horses cant walk up too steep inclines while you ride them. etc.

-DF for 1 more month has better PVE, this will most likely change when the next expansion hits MO around April.

I am guildless and solo tons in MO. I play for 2 hours a night. And I have loads of fun in doing so. I wouldnt recommend going guildless until after you get  'started' if you plan to do so. So join a guild for some help getting started. If there was no Mortal Online I would be playing DF as my  2nd choice.

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Yeah it is! =)

You progress quick, so you can be "up n running" without putting your 20k hrs of playing every day. Just max your char and go play. if you go for mage or crafter that would be some lionger time though.

Try the free trial and test it your self so you do not go on what all others will say here[mod edit] So check their site out and play the free trial to see for your self! The new  AI will lift the game conciderably at the release with the Awekening!

Fre Trial - https://account.mortalonline.com/

New AI vid - 

See you in game! 

P.S Choose Meduli to start in, thats a good starting location ;o) D.S

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    This is not the place to ask, there is a 14 day free trial
  • argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Its a matter of taste really. I tried DF's 14 day trial after getting myself around MO on and off for more than 2 years and even though i didnt liked it as a whole (DF i mean) it felt 10 times better and more complete than MO. Why dont you sign up for the trial and share with us your thoughts right after?

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by RefMinor

Words of wisdom.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Why not? Most people here would agree to try the trial because you can see the flaws firsthand.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by SHOE788

Why not? Most people here would agree to try the trial because you can see the flaws firsthand.

Pretty much that. Try and see for your self, at worst you waste bit of bandwidth.

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

I would wait untill after Awakening (their next patch which will adress UI and AI amongst other very very much needed things) before even trying the trial

• CroniteLoreCroniteLore Member Posts: 99

Agree with the OPs

Go try it youself, there is a free trial, also do start at Meduli, it's full of scum (a bit like the MO version of Mos Eisley) but there's fun to be had there.

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• TacanTacan Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by raystantz

I played DF.. liked it, but it was still a bit too daunting unless you had 20000 hours a day to play. Is this any better?

DF better .MO still beta test

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by xDayx

The difference between DF and MO is...

-DF has no skill cap at this point. So everyone creates a Fightercasterranger character.

True, whole guilds change build according to what SV break/overpower in each patch. Strangely, their CS rep here thought that was a plus for the game instead of being a prime example of terrible testing and buggy code.

-MO has no quests, so no more kill 2000 goblins.

MO has quests, they are just generally non-functional.

-MO's resource and crafting system is more sandboxey, you can drink and gather water out of rivers for example and use it to cook.

Complexity does not equate to "sandbox". It is also not very sandboxy if everyone uses exactly the same gear (see point one). The added "complexity" is of zero game value and largely unused.

-MO's 1st person is more immersive.

To you, a purely subjective opinion.

-MO is more realistic, you have to eat, sleep, horses cant walk up too steep inclines while you ride them. etc.

Actually, horses can't walk up most slopes and get stuck on tiny rocks heh. I am also not sure what is "realistic" about an entire population living on uncooked basic ingrediants as they are just as tasty as a cooked three course meal. The cooking system is  joke, and plenty of threads on the official forums show the players dislike of it.

-DF for 1 more month has better PVE, this will most likely change when the next expansion hits MO around April.

So you believe the hype from SV? Even after Henrik saying MO's mounts would revolutionise MMO gaming? I guess horses the size of houses is pretty revolutionary. SV has promised this AI patch for two years, 18 months ago they said it was all written and ready to go.

Awakening will be as bugged and broken as the rest of MO's patches. Within the first week most features will need to be turned off most likely, as happened with Dawn.

I am guildless and solo tons in MO. I play for 2 hours a night. And I have loads of fun in doing so.

It takes all kinds to make this world of ours, but you are in the roughly  <1% of people who have tried this game and are still playing it (figure from SV's financials and box sale receipts).

To the OP,  do the trial before giving SV any of your money. You can do multiple trials sequentially if you feel 14 days isn't enough time to appreciate just how bad this game can be :)

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by SHOE788

Except that a lot of people here go out of their way to prevent new players doing the trial...

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Do Research. I did. Youll see that the business for this game is shady/small. They dont fix bugs and banned a whole guild when it was thier own tools that were wrong. I would not play this game.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by Anubisan

Except that a lot of people here go out of their way to prevent new players doing the trial...

Utter Bullshit.

In this very thread I see people telling the OP to do the trial, do the trial and do the trial.

You say " that a lot of people here "? Show me ONE person who has ever told a new guy / returning player NOT to do the free trial before buying the game. Go ahead, show me ONE such post. If you ever come up with any such matter, it would only be a fanboy telling people to buy the game immediatly since the game is just super awesome that you dont need to try the game before giving SV your money. Fanboys here are just that bad so I wouldnt be surprised.

Dont be so defensive just because people who do the free trial mostly end up running the other way from anything resembling MO or Starvault. its mostly the ones who ended up paying these crooks firsthand come back to the forums to tell about how this company sucks ass.

@OP: I dont think this game is worth playing, but do do the trial. It might be gold to you or just a big pile of do-do, your tolerance threshold will sorely be put to the test.

• amadmanamadman Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Zaltark

.... banned a whole guild when it was thier own tools that were wrong. I would not play this game.

This is not exactly right. A few people where temp banned and a bunch of the guild basicly quit over that and other problems they had.  There was a mistake on sv side but they did acknowledge it and apologize.

The way I see it SV was trying to do the right thing and keep people honest. You can not really condem them for that. I would rather have them making mistakes trying to do the right thing instead of them not doing anything at all.

Its a matter of perspective I guess.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by raystantz

Yes, Mortal Online is MUCH better.  Just download the free trial, join a guild and check it out.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by amadman

This is not exactly right. A few people where temp banned and a bunch of the guild basicly quit over that and other problems they had.  There was a mistake on sv side but they did acknowledge it and apologize.

The way I see it SV was trying to do the right thing and keep people honest. You can not really condem them for that. I would rather have them making mistakes trying to do the right thing instead of them not doing anything at all.

Mistakes are alright, banning people because of broken mod abilities/tools? Not so much. That and then one of thier GM accounts were 'suspiciously' hacked and proceeded to delete several other peoples keeps/castles. Also saw that there were links showing videos of regular players having access to GM tools. I dont think "Honest" is the best word for this company.

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Originally posted by Zaltark

Originally posted by amadman

Mistakes are alright, banning people because of broken mod abilities/tools? Not so much. That and then one of thier GM accounts were 'suspiciously' hacked and proceeded to delete several other peoples keeps/castles. Also saw that there were links showing videos of regular players having access to GM tools. I dont think "Honest" is the best word for this company.

Ehh, well the mods did just read the tools they had at the moment, and right there and then, it looked like AQ was hacking. But it ended up showing that the tools they used missread, and they fixed it, unbanned the people, and apologized for it. Now that´s really dishonest right?

And then to think that someone from SV had anything to do with having Discords account hacked, and some idiot going nuts ingame, is just stupid. Is Discord being dishonest as well for having some moron hack his account? Think you need to know what honest means before you throw accusasions around.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by Norpan

Ehh, well the mods did just read the tools they had at the moment, and right there and then, it looked like AQ was hacking. But it ended up showing that the tools they used missread, and they fixed it, unbanned the people, and apologized for it. Now that´s really dishonest right?

And then to think that someone from SV had anything to do with having Discords account hacked, and some idiot going nuts ingame, is just stupid. Is Discord being dishonest as well for having some moron hack his account? Think you need to know what honest means before you throw accusasions around.

No it didn't look like we were hacking from the tools.  I posted the screenshot of their 'proof' and it was obviously not hacking to anyone who is not a complete idiot.

FYI, rumor I heard was that Discord's account was never hacked - rather he copy/pasted his credentials on irc accidentally.

In the Mortal community this is now known as 'pulling a discord'.

• amadmanamadman Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by psykobilly

No it didn't look like we were hacking from the tools.  I posted the screenshot of their 'proof' and it was obviously not hacking to anyone who is not a complete idiot.

FYI, rumor I heard was that Discord's account was never hacked - rather he copy/pasted his credentials on irc accidentally.

So why was it done if it wasnt because they thought people were cheating?

Its really irrelevent how they got the credentials. it was what the idiot did with it that was real messed up. But that is a whole other issue there..

I wild guess here, but I guess you didn´t use the tools they did to spot these things? Like it´s explained right here: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/72686-conclusion-gk-siege.html So it´s shows that they used a flawed tool, and based their decisions on that, and that ended up in 3 peeps I think it was, being wrongfully banned. And then unbanned and SV apologized for it. And having those 3 guys banned wouldn´t have changed the outcome of the fight. You maybe would have lasted 15 minutes longer. That´s it. 

I think SV acted as they should all the way here. The other way around would be alot worse. With letting potential cheaters go, and then if they WERE cheating, having the whole freaking community say that AQ is SVs buttbuddies etc. Wich many have tried to cliam. Sour losers as they are. You guys in AQ should man up, and not be the sour losers this time. Although some of you leaving the game, has opened up Nave to some interesting political gameplay.

I wild guess here, but I guess you didn´t use the tools they did to spot these things? Like it´s explained right here: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/72686-conclusion-gk-siege.html So it´s shows that they used a flawed tool, and based their decisions on that, and that ended up in 3 peeps I think it was, being wrongfully banned. And then unbanned and SV apologized for it. And having those 3 guys banned wouldn´t have changed the outcome of the fight. You maybe would have lasted 15 minutes longer. That´s it. 

I guess it's as simple as people not believing that Discord was actually hacked and didnt just mess up, same goes for the ban issue. The player several times tried to explain the situation to the GMs, the fact that some food is not worth hacking for, to which they just replied over and over they just rely on tools, which is wrong. Gms should be able to rely on common sense as well when judging.

In short, dont blame the tools, blame the humans not thinking when using them.

Originally posted by Toferio

I guess it's as simple as people not believing that Discord was actually hacked and didnt just mess up, same goes for the ban issue. The player several times tried to explain the situation to the GMs, the fact that some food is not worth hacking for, to which they just replied over and over they just rely on tools, which is wrong. Gms should be able to rely on common sense as well when judging.

The question here was if they were acting dishonest. Wich I still don´t think they did here. In the heat of the moment it ain´t that easy to know what´s right or not in situations like this. It´s easy for us to sit her on the sideline and say how they should have acted. But things ain´t that black and white when it comes down to it. Wrong tools in a stressed situation can ofc go wrong. Or ask the people that had the right tools but still fucked up at Chernobyl. Now what the guys at SV did is a fart in the wind compared to this, and shit happens. They acknowledge their misstake, but thought they acted right in the moment. Go ahead and blame them for being humans and doing what they thought was right. Or be smart enough to realise they didn´t do this on purpose. To think that they did that is very narrow minded...

The question here was if they were acting dishonest. Wich I still don´t think they did here. In the heat of the moment it ain´t that easy to know what´s right or not in situations like this. It´s easy for us to sit her on the sideline and say how they should have acted. But things ain´t that black and white when it comes down to it. Wrong tools in a stressed situation can ofc go wrong. Or ask the people that had the right tools but still fucked up at Chernobyl. Now what the guys at SV did is a fart in the wind compared to this, and shit happens. They acknowledge their misstake, but thought they acted right in the moment. Go ahead and blame them for being humans and doing what they thought was right. Or be smart enough to realise they didn´t do this on purpose. To think that they did that is very narrow minded...

Being human excuse only works that many times. I simply think they didn't act right and should have given AQ benifit of the doubt, speciallly when they later confronted the GMs in the irc but were ignored. ONLY when they mass unsubbed an invistigation took place. 

SV doesn't care about such incidents unless drastic actions such as going public or unsubbing are taken.

Being human excuse only works that many times. I simply think they didn't act right and should have given AQ benifit of the doubt, speciallly when they later confronted the GMs in the irc but were ignored. ONLY when they mass unsubbed an invistigation took place. 

SV doesn't care about such incidents unless drastic actions such as going public or unsubbing are taken.

Yeah, they just keeps on playing that "being human"-card over and over right? No... Get real.

And they had to make a investigation about it before going public. Someone crying on IRC ain´t proof. Believe or not. People cry there all the freaking time. Ofc they had to investigate and get all the facts straight before doing ANYTHING. And it ain´t as simple as you say. AQ did a huge QQ and quit long before SV had made their investigation. Things like that can´t happen over night. Or maybe you have perfect insight to how SVs 5 man crew can work? Since you seem to know everything that goes down behind closed doors at SV...