Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: GDC 2012 - Exclusive Interview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

During GDC 2012, we managed to not only get hands on time with Planetside 2, but we also got to sit down with the game's senior art director, Tramell Ray Isaac to talk about SOE's big plans for this sequel.

PlanetSide 2 made its public gameplay debut at this year's Games Developers Conference in San Francisco and we were on hand to check it out. Not too long after the demo, we sat down with Tramell Ray Isaac, senior art director on PlanetSide 2, to discuss the game and some of what we saw during the demonstration.

Read the rest of Mike Bitton's Planetside 2: GDC 2012 Exclusive Interview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

This really is an MMO dream come true if they can pull this off. I for one will be there day 1 ready to play and support them by spending some cash.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

nothing new but still good

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Whats the cash shop like?

Uhh... what?

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

camos and skins, they talk about it in the GDC videos

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

Good article, but I do not like Tramell's constant statement of "if you go up against X that is upgraded, you are GOING to lose."

To be fair, one would say the odds are not in your favor, but people have played plenty of games, outgeared by others, and came out on top.

Take Aces High II for example; there are a lot of better equiped latewar planes, but there are several pilots out there that know how to fly their perticular bird so well, and know the enemies birds so well, that they can make up the difference in skill.

I get that he's implying the "if you are both head to head" kind of scenario, but broad, absolute statements can be the undoing of clear communication

• Raymac26Raymac26 Member Posts: 24

The scale of this game is going to blow people away. The original Planetside was huge and epic. I can only imagine how much more epic it will be with even larger battles. Are you f-ing kidding me? I can't wait for this game.

• mightpyromightpyro Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Auzy

Whats the cash shop like?

Cash shop only items are for just cosmetic items and anything that provides a gameplay benefit can either be bought with in game credits or cash.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

We’re going to have thousands of people playing this game. It’s going to be up to the people to make the content; everybody makes their own experience. That was one of the great things about the original PlanetSide. I’ve come across people who have played before, everybody’s got a story, everybody’s got that one experience that they remember, and it’s not just some fleeting thing, they remember it ten years later. It’s gotta be something that’s impactful and I think we’ve got the same thing with PlanetSide 2.

Sounds v good. A Lot going for this one.

• VolarinVolarin Member Posts: 38

This is the most exciting thing to happen in PC gaming for a long time. It is probably THE most important thing to happen the MMO genre since ultima online.

This can potentially put an end to Wow and EQ clones like SWTOR , RIFT, etc.

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

if only it wasn't SOE...

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I don't want to give SOE any more chances as I feel like they've just screwed me over the years with various MMOs and changes they've made to them. However I loved Planetside and Planetside 2 is looking good so I'll give them this last chance and if the game sucks then that is it, they blew it.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    It doesn't bother that it is SOE... Smedley has changed his tune within (even) the last 5 years. He understood "what" the gamer drew from their games.

That is why they invested heavily into an open world engine (Forge Light?).

If you think Planetside2 looks awsome, can u imagine an "re_imagined" EQ using the same open world engine?

Any oldschooler will tell you eq next will be UO all over. "Phunbox"

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by Phelcher

It doesn't bother that it is SOE... Smedley has changed his tune within (even) the last 5 years. He understood "what" the gamer drew from their games.

That is why they invested heavily into an open world engine (Forge Light?).

If you think Planetside2 looks awsome, can u imagine an "re_imagined" EQ using the same open world engine?

Any oldschooler will tell you eq next will be UO all over. "Phunbox"

sorry but EQ NExt will be a casual f2p themepark model MMO.  They have already stated that it will have classes but not as many as EQ2 and game will be more of a reimaging of EQ1 not EQ2 and it will not be a sequel to either.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by William12  Sorry but EQ NExt will be a casual f2p themepark model MMO.  They have already stated that it will have classes but not as many as EQ2 and game will be more of a reimaging of EQ1 not EQ2 and it will not be a sequel to either.

You don't know that. Hardly any info has been released about the game, go ahead and do an internet search. There's little to no info released thus far. I have my doubts about SoE, so I shouldn't be defending the company. Love em or hate em though, SoE does have an experienced dev team. Lets just hope they've learned from the mistakes of the past. However, I will say.. judging from the recently released PS2 videos, and considering EQNext will be using the same engine, the game has the potential to look absolutely amazing.

Less classes than eq2, how is that a bad thing? Many would agree EQ2 had too many classes, each being a watered down version of what should've been one class. Why did we need two different bard classes? Why two different shaman classes, etc. etc. And a reimaging of EQ1 is a good thing as well. EQ1 had many virtues even if it was a hardcore grindfest. Considering the lack of info about solid future MMO releases, I wouldn't be so quick to knock this game. It's just too early to make any sort of prediction.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

"The Vanu Sovreignty, high rate of fire, energy weapons, we’re talking about no bullet drop, because it’s all laser, but it loses damage over time. The further it travels, the less damage it does, so it’s a tradeoff.

The Terran Republic, it’s all about high rate of fire, big weaponry, more conventional ammo, like bullets and stuff like that.

NC (New Conglomerate) is about hard-hitting, short range- kind of experimental, railguns and stuff like that."

So you can only use one type of guns from one faction? Sigh wouldn't this create potential huge balancing problems?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138

You can pick up weapons on the battlefield, enemy weapons, and use them yourself.

• ZeebAdamahZeebAdamah Member Posts: 3

@Xkingdomx

Just what Ebonheart said, you kill someone, take their weapon. One of the major ways to survive when you are solo or with another next to an enemy base. Me and my friend would hack basses and just go around and kill/hold the enemy off for hours using their weapons. 

I can not wait to hack/jack again. I know they said something about not being able to jack vehicles but that is a must imo. You see someone get out of the tank, go inside for a quick reload and have them come out to the enemy in their tank. Priceless.