Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am surprised how outdated the game looks ?!

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

[Mod Edit]

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by korent1991

Aion was one of the rare MMOs i didnt play in beta nor bought on launch (i guess my disillusion with MMOs started back than)

So I was happy to try it now that is F2P

Now as far as I remember the game was hyped for its beautyful graphic , but i log in - crank everything to maximum and the game looks AWFUL.

Either there is some huge problem with my PC and this specific game , or i dont know what.

But I just could not play it , it really hurts my eyes

I think you didn't set your graphic settings right... I think it looks good...

link1

link2

link3

edit: I don't have maxed out settings...

Yes, it looks exactly as these screenshots you posted.

I am playing TERA beta - link for comparison

My PC has no problem running the game at max settings and it looks like that.

And Aion is not that old game, it should really not look that bad.

Comparing Aion to Tera is like saying apples and oranges are the same fruit... And I said it's not max settings so it should look a lot better on max settings but I'm too lazy to open up the game now and play with settings just to get a screenshot and see how it looks like :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Are we really comparing a 2 year old game to a game that isnt even out yet and complaining about graphic comparisons? How is this not trolling? Im no big fan of Aion. As far as im concerned the dev's have been steadily at work since the game launched, ruining what was once a promising game. I played for 1.5 years from launch and would cringe at just about every update patch day. The apearance of P2W items in the Cash Shop while the game was still a sub game was what finally convinced me to leave. So yeah Aion can rot in hell for all i care. But to claim the graphics are outdated is just rediculous. Especially when your only frame of reference is a game that hasnt even hit retail launch yet (at least in the US). Why pick on Aion about this?

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Aion's graphics are amazing. Your computer sucks, or you need to adjust the graphics settings. That's all there is to it.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by solarine

Aion was one of the rare MMOs i didnt play in beta nor bought on launch (i guess my disillusion with MMOs started back than)

Now as far as I remember the game was hyped for its beautyful graphic , but i log in - crank everything to maximum and the game looks AWFUL.

Either there is some huge problem with my PC and this specific game , or i dont know what.

link1

link2

link3

Honestly, those don't look good at all. Just look at the ground/environment textures and the foliage. 

The strength of Aion's visuals always lied in its beautiful character models and art design. Also the masonry looks quite good (so the capitals look good), but when it comes to nature... It just looked old to me even back when the game launched... Now it looks worse.

TERA surely looks *a lot* better, and even in that game, the ground surfaces without meaningful foliage looks a bit like the world has been fitted with a wall-to-wall carpet or something. 

It's not awesome and jawdropping but since it was 1st launched in 2008. I don't see a reason why do you attack the games graphics so much... :D I logged in once or twice since it started f2p and I don't play it, so I don't care much about it. But graphics are not that bad, the problem is that, it has weird textures on ground somewhere, and few low textures somewhere but in the end, it's ok... It can't be compared to newly released games since it's not a new game, but loose a little... If someone can call WOW cartoonish shitty graphics "it's good, it has the best graphics evaaaaaaahz!one!11!", I don't see why someone can't actually like this graphics.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , I might not like NCSoft or Aion , but please , Aion graphics surpasses well beyond 75% of all current MMO's released to date.  If your looking to bitch on a MMO , at least bitch with actual facts.

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

no offense to any mmo, but i agree with the op Aion looks mostly like any other random mmo around, especially at begin.

im not looking that game  must have awesome graphics or something else, most important for me is gameplay of a mmo, but i have to be honest the game is medium, nothing special even if you turn highest resolution and effecrs, i tried it all out, just to see how it would look like. starting area is same like other you start doing few questst,and you have to search on map to find it no directions or some help for beginners, i dont know how it is at higher lvls cant say something i didint tried yet out, but at starting and  a bit further its really dissapointing, i expected much more from it.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Heh , I might not like NCSoft or Aion , but please , Aion graphics surpasses well beyond 75% of all current MMO's released to date.  If your looking to bitch on a MMO , at least bitch with actual facts.

Agreed, Although Aion is not really my cup of tea its graphics and sound are top notch and I have just an average computer

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree with the OP. When I turned on High Quality Graphics Engine and restarted the game to see that the groundtextures and foliage were still hideous, I first assumed that I had to download some special high res texture pack. But after some research I learned that this was max.

But I understand how some players are fooled by how a game looks. Beautifull sky or beautifull reflections in water and they immediately think that the game is graphically brilliant. Even if many textures in the same game still look like crap.

Anyway, to me this is not a reason to not play a game. But I can't say that the OP isn't right. I always expected better graphics after all the hype about this game's looks.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Characters look amazing.. World looks bloody awful:)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I think it looks pretty good. Not AMAZING like people always made it out to be, but in general it looks good.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

World textures are about as bad as EQ... This game was way out of date when it was released. I would have let the graphics slide if the gameplay was good..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

link1

link2

link3

Yes, it looks exactly as these screenshots you posted.

I am playing TERA beta - link for comparison

My PC has no problem running the game at max settings and it looks like that.

And Aion is not that old game, it should really not look that bad.

" am playing TERA beta - link for comparison"

this sentence this

this sentence here tells you all you need to know why the OP is trolling the Aion forums. 

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Aion really needs a high res texture pack.   

The artstyle was pretty good at the beginning, but when you get to the swampy area (level 35-45 zone) it really feels like they got lazy.   Anyways, with the new settings and shaders, the game looks okay at most places as long as the really low res textures aren't too apparent.   These were taken a while back when the build in AA wasn't working, so there were some jaggies at 1920x1200.   AA seems to be working now though, and I think they updated the shaders a bit.    

For a 3 year old MMO it looks pretty decent.   It was built on a heavily modified CryEngine (not the Crysis one) so this is probably as good as you'll get for such an old engine.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

It looked good for its time, but it was never anything spectacular.

Indeed, assuming you could even run it, AoC had the best graphics for it's time hands down.

Aion still has some of the best graphics among the F2P crowd. The best thing about Aion, however, isn't the visual quality itself, but the fact that it is very efficient. Most machines can run it with little effort, even on high settings. 

It should look outdated, because the engine is actually quite a bit older than the game....

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Originally posted by //\//\oo

It looked good for its time, but it was never anything spectacular.

Indeed, assuming you could even run it, AoC had the best graphics for it's time hands down.

Aion still has some of the best graphics among the F2P crowd. The best thing about Aion, however, isn't the visual quality itself, but the fact that it is very efficient. Most machines can run it with little effort, even on high settings. 

It should look outdated, because the engine is actually quite a bit older than the game....

Hey MOO, long taim no see, anyways, yes, when Aion first came out, it was a visual mind fuck, and relectanly when my brother got me a free trail to play swtor, (even with an old ass rig from 2009) it was still playable on max settings, and you could immidiately tell the shawdoing and lighting was superior to aion.  I still have my aion account and am waiting for 3.0 to come out, but in the meantime, I'll be on star wars, the pvp reminds me  of WAR, but the clean crisp lines and the vertical immersion to heights feels amazing.  The wolrd also has a very huge feeling.  Aion still looks good, but when folks dropped 200 million dollars on a game (that was developed many years in the making) it still feels ahead of its time.

The only thing aion wins against swtor is the character custimization and detail. It is truely second to none.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by m0lly

no op is right, i did the same but i also played closed beta back in the days when it was on that stage, bought collectors edition back then and played alltogether 7 months so it says on my master account.

well now i transfer my account to free to play yeah very nice and logged in and wham same feeling does aion really looked like this ? i felt like it looked better then and somehow for some reason it didnt look like that now.

so whoever says its looking amazing dont really have experience amazing looking games out there then sorry to disappoint.

Aion didn't have its new engine back when the game first released.

The new graphic engine has to be manually turned on in the settings, and then you have to restart the client. If you don't find the models beautiful with that, you're blind. Mind you parts of the environment still leave something to be desired (specifically terrain, towns look beautiful) but that was a decision they supposedly made to keep system requirements relatively low.

Unfortunately my screenshot folder was deleted along with the install as, pretty or not, it's still boring as hell.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

'hurts my eyes'... lol Lobo.. really?:P

If it is an art style taste thing, then I get it, but your really saying this game looks bad enough on a technical level to make you stop playing?

I honestly have no response to that.

I suspect you wern't really that interested in it in the first place and was really just a new game tourist taking a look because it was free. I suspect you was never going to be impressed by anything the game had to offerand that it's just not your thing, which is fine. Making silly statements like the one quoted though does damage your credibility.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I can't complain about Aion's graphics.  Still one of the most gorgeous MMO's on the planet.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

link1

link2

link3

Yeah those links bring back memories...the game was ugly.

In fact i remember how sparse and barren the pvp area, think it was called the abyss, was.  Just a bunch of barren rocks floating about space.

I think the game has aged a bit faster than we may have thought was possible.

Oh and i played on max setting back when it launched, and those screen shots actually make the game look worse than i remember since they are shots of the pve areas that i had rememberd looking nice.

Typically i dont agree with lobo and his F2P fetishes, but i think he got this one right.  Those screenshots highlight the games uglyness.  How about posting some shots of the abyss?  Really show everyone the games ugly side?

*edit* the guy above me posted some screenies that actually did the game justice, now i remember.  The textures and polygons on this game were aweful, the lighting was fantastic. However it needed blur pretty bad to cover the poor polygons and low res textures.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Bad talking about aion's graphics, its bs, cause after AoConan its the best graphics out to play as a mmorpg.
    Bad stuff its the awful RNG on manastones, enchants, craft and godstones, that's the worst xit on this game

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

The graphics a game has on release, were how top of the line the graphics software was at the beginning of development, which can be from 5 - 10 years.

Thats why developers rush a game out before they become to outdated.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The graphics are nothing compared to somthing like Age of Conan but compared to most other MMORPGs they are still better.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by SoulSurfer

Hey MOO, long taim no see, anyways, yes, when Aion first came out, it was a visual mind fuck, and relectanly when my brother got me a free trail to play swtor, (even with an old ass rig from 2009) it was still playable on max settings, and you could immidiately tell the shawdoing and lighting was superior to aion.  I still have my aion account and am waiting for 3.0 to come out, but in the meantime, I'll be on star wars, the pvp reminds me  of WAR, but the clean crisp lines and the vertical immersion to heights feels amazing.  The wolrd also has a very huge feeling.  Aion still looks good, but when folks dropped 200 million dollars on a game (that was developed many years in the making) it still feels ahead of its time.

The only thing aion wins against swtor is the character custimization and detail. It is truely second to none.

Sup?

For visual character customization, you're right, but in terms of actual skill customization, SWToR is better, of course you already knew that and I was just playing on the ambiguity of the term.

Amazingly, SWToR is quite a performer as well in terms of graphics (on lower end machines), of course I can't stand the gameplay (ESPECIALLY THE COMBAT) to any appreciable degree to stick with it... and sure as hell not for a subscription fee, so until then I'm back on Aion.

What really irks me about SWToR is that they couldn't invest at least 20 of those 200 million on the actual design of the combat. Nothing pisses more in my cereal than being forced to spam something when everything else is on cooldown. There's a reason why auto-attacks are auto and that's because nobody wants to relentlessly spam a button at every second mindlessly.

If SWToR had gotten combat right, I'd be playing it, but .. they didn't and it angers me.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Huh outdated?

Aion still looks great, better than Rift and many other mmos, probably the best visual F2P out there.