Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Scroll of Resurrection Campaign Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard and the World of Warcraft team have a new program to entice former players to check back into the game. Current players are gifted a "Scroll of Resurrection" to cast on a former player. The caster can choose either a Spectral Griffon or Wind Rider as a reward and the resurrected player gets a nice package to entice them back into World of Warcraft.

• One character is instantly leveled to 80

• Account is automatically upgraded to Cataclysm

• A free character move to the friend's realm and faction

• Seven days of free game time

Check out all of the details on the World of Warcraft site.

Thanks to Nadasane for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Any Aussies around here want to hook me up?

Since I recently quit SWTOR, I could see my self getting a free 80 out of this deal!

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Instant level 80...

...am I the only one that think this seems pointless?

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Wow, they are really pulling out all the stops.. But I want a free companion too, so sorry will have to pass :D

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• TwinGuardTwinGuard Member Posts: 9

To little, to late, Blizzard your game, your companies mentality towards its player up to the point of realizing that your days are number just flat out sucks. Your community, hands down the worst in MMO history. Playing WoW felt like a mix between a job and dealing with rumor mills in high school. Successful you where, now scury off to a little field and die.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

So is this Blizzard's answer to Aion's Rally the Troops?

-I am here to perform logic

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by TwinGuard

To little, to late, Blizzard your game, your companies mentality towards its player up to the point of realizing that your days are number just flat out sucks. Your community, hands down the worst in MMO history. Playing WoW felt like a mix between a job and dealing with rumor mills in high school. Successful you where, now scury off to a little field and die.

It's funny because you think WoW is dying.

Inb4 "LOL THEY'RE DOWN TO 10 MIL SUBS"

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Meh - this does not adress what is really the peoblem with WoW.

This game while still huge ,is beyond saving. Paying population will bleed whatever they do. Heck even if they would go f2p this would result only in huge amount of freeloaders initially and would not save game in long-term.

People are just bored of WoW + irreversable core design decisions made years ago made this game into a place with no going back.

Still with 10 millions of subs , 'sinking' will take long years - so Acti-Blizz will still continue to earn loads of cash from WoW.

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

And other game communities aren't crappy? Hell,  the only reason smaller games tend to have so called "mature" communities is becauase they're less in number which allows the community to more easily shun others. Get off your high horse, because as far as "being a job" goes, WoW is one of the least like that, or maybe you just don't play other MMO's and like to bitch. If WoW is a job, then I want to know what AA grinding is in Everquest, or what those litte lotro perks where you have to do one thing over and over and over is? Or pretty much any Korean MMO, the entire go from 1 to cap is one giant slog. 

Stop hating WoW for the sake of hating WoW. It has it's faults, but don't point out the ones that are shared by the entire freakin' genre. Point something out like, how their latest raid is abunch of copy-paste crap that people cleared in a heart beat. Or how they laid off their most popular customer rep recently just after promoting him. Or how this system spits in the face of those players who -have- stayed.

But do not point out "it's a job" and "crappy community" when those are universal.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

WoW looks very unattractive for a new player, you have to buy original for 15 euro wotlk for 20 (both of these are virtually wasted money in terms of the content you get out of them) and then cata for 30, an 8 year old game that costs more then the vast majority of new games. They should fix that instead old players are unlikely to come back I think, altough they probably rake in pretty good cash from getting all those gold farmers repeatedly having to buy new accounts..

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Poor Blizzard. It seems no matter what they do, haters gon' hate. I agree that a lot of old school players may never come back, but what some fail to realize is that new players are still discovering the game for the first time. I was a noob when Cataclysm released, and love it or hate it, I'm sure Mists of Pandaria will attract new players alike. If its dying, it is and will be a very slow death.

Nobody "hates WoW for the sake of hating WoW".

People who hate WoW hate it because it sucks to them.

You like it, thats your opinion, other people feel differently, get over it.

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

You're seeing it to black and white. I know people hate WoW for good reasons. No doubt there.

But there are those who hate it because it's "the cool thing to do"

Like the person I quoted. They were placing universal wrongs of the MMO genre on WoW like it was a WoW only thing, rather than things that would be specific to WoW (like those things that I posted).

Hell, I myself would have quit months ago (and likewise be getting a free 80 today) if it wasn't for the community on my server which I've grown fond of.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Simple desperation attempt to regain subs by a one great developer whose game is now haemoragging subscribers.

Originally posted by Dark_Skurai

You're seeing it to black and white. I know people hate WoW for good reasons. No doubt there.

Like the person I quoted. They were placing universal wrongs of the MMO genre on WoW like it was a WoW only thing, rather than things that would be specific to WoW (like those things that I posted).

Hell, I myself would have quit months ago (and likewise be getting a free 80 today) if it wasn't for the community on my server which I've grown fond of.

Nobody thinks its "cool" to hate WoW. If you really believe that you're just deluding yourself because you obviously like the game so much. Reminds me of those kids who think people hate them just because other kids are jealous, when really its because they lick their own snot, or they spit when they talk, or whatever else may be wrong with them that their parents ignore to spare their feelings.

Not every game has a terrible community. I've played a lot of MMOs and WoW's community is by far the worst I've seen. I wholeheartedly agree with the community issue.

Far as the game being "like a job", if thats how he feels about it, thats how he feels about it. I personally wish my job were as easy as playing WoW, but then I don't particularly like easy when it comes to MMOs.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

eeeeww-although this is a loud cry for help.

but one cant hate an innovator, wow had its momments. hell i still have my  X-51 Nether Rocket mount on my yet to be thawed out  toon!..someday, someday.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Activision has gotten Blizzard to do so many things they never would have in the old days.  They'll do anyhing to maintain those subscription numbers.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Activision has gotten Blizzard to do so many things they never would have in the old days.  They'll do anyhing to maintain those subscription numbers.

Its true. I was never a huge fan of WoW, but I always had respect for Blizzard as a developer...then that damn Activision had to come along :(

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

I have 10 scrolls on EU region, PM if you are interested.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by dlld

WoW looks very unattractive for a new player, you have to buy original for 15 euro wotlk for 20 (both of these are virtually wasted money in terms of the content you get out of them) and then cata for 30, an 8 year old game that costs more then the vast majority of new games. They should fix that instead old players are unlikely to come back I think, altough they probably rake in pretty good cash from getting all those gold farmers repeatedly having to buy new accounts..

Yea. Blizz should have bundled all expacs into one except newest one.  So there should be WoW basic (inluding vanilla, bc and wotlk) and then cata. 2 things to buy max.  Then when MoP get released , cata should be added to WoW basic package - without raising it's cost. ,etc 

Does not matter now ,cause that is not a problem in WoW's.  

Game is old , have bad reputation , Blizzard keep adding mico-macro transactions + bledding paying players heavily.

I fail to see it being 'heavy magnet' anymore like it was for years.  

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

dear Blizz:

we do not want your old and tired WoW.

bring out Titan already!

tks bye.

Considering most people who leave WoW complain that they did so because the game was too easy and/or they've reached max level and have run out of things to do, I wonder what makes Blizz think instant level 80 is incentive to get them to come back.

I think it's just an example of how out-of-touch they've become with a lot of their fans.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

What a joke a free level 80.

I've levelled 8x level 85's (and 4x 80s) and as someone who believes firmly that you need to earn what you have this is just a total joke.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Even giving my friends a free mount would not bring me back.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Dark_Skurai

Nobody thinks its "cool" to hate WoW. If you really believe that you're just deluding yourself because you obviously like the game so much. Reminds me of those kids who think people hate them just because other kids are jealous, when really its because they lick their own snot, or they spit when they talk, or whatever else may be wrong with them that their parents ignore to spare their feelings.

Not every game has a terrible community. I've played a lot of MMOs and WoW's community is by far the worst I've seen. I wholeheartedly agree with the community issue.

Far as the game being "like a job", if thats how he feels about it, thats how he feels about it. I personally wish my job were as easy as playing WoW, but then I don't particularly like easy when it comes to MMOs.

This.

+ the fact that I want scary, not Kung Foo Panda 3.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Somsbal

It's funny because you think WoW is dying.

Inb4 "LOL THEY'RE DOWN TO 10 MIL SUBS"

Everything is really dying, it is just that in wows case it will be really slow. Wow will still earn in loads of money for the next few years as well. The point where another MMO actually is larger is closer, but it might still be years away.

Still, it seems somewhat desperate so to me it sounds like Activision is whining on Blizzard to earn more money.