Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"How I Helped Destroy Star Wars Galaxies"

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I am sure that is how he remembers it.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Very interesting. Altough I dont condone his actions it truly shows how sandbox games shine so much brighter than ThemeParks. The freedom and what a person, with devotion, can achieve in a sandbox is so much greater than in a simplistic ThemePark where you can be a Jedi at day one with no effort put in.

When did PC games become for lazy and low achievers? This was not always the case.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Great read - makes me think if he had placed that effort in to something outside of the game he may be a £ millionaire by now. 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Yamota

When did PC games become for lazy and low achievers? This was not always the case.

They became for lazy and low achievers when the corporations realized that there are at least ten lazy and low achieving people for each gaming enthusiastic.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

INB4 someone whines about having no time to play because of his 3 kids, wife and dead end job.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

What I got out of this guy's article:

"I expolited the living hell out of this game. Broke the TOS. Employed others to break the TOS. How dare they make changes and destroy this game I loved!?! It was making me rich!"

I guess it does show that not all gold farmers/sellers are from Asia.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

INB4 someone whines about having no time to play because of his 3 kids, wife and dead end job.

There should be no complex games available because of ME ME ME
  • gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

What I got out of this guy's article:

"I expolited the living hell out of this game. Broke the TOS. Employed others to break the TOS. How dare they make changes and destroy this game I loved!?! It was making me rich!"

I guess it does show that not all gold farmers/sellers are from Asia.

Kind of a bad messenger in some respects.

• Jamel-IriefJamel-Irief Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by RefMinor

These quotes are the truth. 

• Sith2112Sith2112 Member UncommonPosts: 43

An excellent article that not only talks about the exploiting and money making scheme.

There are some prime examples of how the MMORPG genre is evolving into todays "facilitating" game changes.

Most are of the old days when working to level and achieve things were time consuming and more gratifying. Now, there are complaints of graphics, engines, PVP, them park vs Sandbox and so on. The truth is, those of us who played EQ and UO and the more earlier games are a dying breed and the more (what I like to call) self entitlement players are dominating the market. 

As for the companies like "EA, BioWare, SOE" an others, it's all about making money and keeping shareholders happy. If a good portion of the players want features, they get implemented.

Oh well, enough of my rant.

Game On... hehe

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Jamel-Irief

I really don't think it's as simple as that...

While I enjoyed reading the article, it definitely made SWG look like a game I would never want to play.  I don't know about you guys, but I don't really picture the "Star Wars Experience" as a business simulator.

Don't get me wrong, I love complex games (Dominions 3 ftw), but I'm not really keen on playing an MMORPG where I either exploit people by wasting my life tracking market values and capturing key business assets, or I am exploited by those people.  While it may be complex, it just isn't fun for a lot of people.

I would seriously like to play a complex sandbox MMO that is about you know...adventuring and/or role playing...not about capturing markets.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

While I enjoyed reading the article, it definitely made SWG look like a game I would never want to play.  I don't know about you guys, but I don't really picture the "Star Wars Experience" as a business simulator.

Don't get me wrong, I love complex games (Dominions 3 ftw), but I'm not really keen on playing an MMORPG where I either exploit people by wasting my life tracking market values and capturing key business assets, or I am exploited by those people.  While it may be complex, it just isn't fun for a lot of people.

I would seriously like to play a complex sandbox MMO that is about you know...adventuring and/or role playing...not about capturing markets.

I would rather play a game that let me choose whether to be a businessman, crafter, adventurer, ranger, entertainer, combat medic, pet trainer, droid maker, bounty hunter etc. it's a sandbox, how you play is your choice, you don't have to craft, you can earn money with a gun and pay it to others to do that work.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

You all can't really believ this guy is telling the truth ?

You seriously believe that he did all this ?

SOE may have been asshats and allowed some exploiting and some of the gold farmers got out of hand at some points but they spotted trends long before they became as serious as this guy claims he did. Its patently ridiculous that he even claims to have employed other asian gold farmers and inspired loyalty ?

Sorry i am not calling any of the posters here liars but it really comes across as naive if you really believe that guys blog.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

You all can't really believ this guy is telling the truth ?

You seriously believe that he did all this ?

SOE may have been asshats and allowed some exploiting and some of the gold farmers got out of hand at some points but they spotted trends long before they became as serious as this guy claims he did. Its patently ridiculous that he even claims to have employed other asian gold farmers and inspired loyalty ?

Sorry i am not calling any of the posters here liars but it really comes across as naive if you really believe that guys blog.

Please note post number 2. Which indicates disbelief
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"Because it wasn’t the game I loved. That game died in 2005 with the NGE/CU. It died when developers turned their backs on the gamers who had spent the effort and instead listened to the lazy, whining voices who wanted it all given to them."

Actually, according to him it died the minute he could no longer make money off of it.

It's yet another good example of how "freedom" players destroy the games they love. 

Gankers kill PvP games.

Exploiters kill sandboxes.

The end.

Interesting article, though.  Thanks for posting, OP!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Just doesn't ring true to me. It seems more like an anti SWG piece meant to drum up support for SWTOR by showing the "flaws" in an open sandbox world. 

Good creative writing at least :)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Good luck with that seeing how it seems the majority of gamers, at least on this site, are too concerned with a companies shares and stocks and everything that ISN'T the game...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It was a bussiness simulator for him.For other's it was anything you wanted it to be, a true sandbox. Well atleast until NGE... say what you want about Jedi's, atleast back then it actually took some effort to become a Jedi instead of in SW:TOR where anyone can be one from their first character and everyone will have saved the Republic by the time they reached level 50.  

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

meh...he spends most of the piece telling us about how he got set up in the economy and started making real world money. Then he complains about NGE/CU. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it was an interesting read.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Slampig

Good luck with that seeing how it seems the majority of gamers, at least on this site, are too concerned with a companies shares and stocks and everything that ISN'T the game...

Well, what did you expect? When developing games became less about the games and more about how to maximize profits such as shorting content and development time so that you can release games faster and release day 1 DLC content to maximize profit it tends to push gamers into considering these kinds of things.

Save on development and lower the risk factor by copying others...............

Screw gamers, screw quality, screw content, show me the money! When this mentality took over gamers became interested in a companies financials, there stocks, etc.

Many here have become interested in seeing various companies fail and see others succeed.

We are the gaming community they have created.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Now ask the rest of the crafters on the servers he set up his Biz on how muhc fun THEY had playing THEIR choice when he had in his power to decimate them completley and left them living of the scraps he did not bother to pick up. Yes i know that is how it works in the real world, but this is a game... Electronic entertainment....

That is the eternal crux of a sandbox game, how litteraly ones death is the others bread.

And yeah... As i have said before it was a buggy mess of game... Wonderful in many ways but a buggy mess non the less and pretty much the sole reason i am not touching a sandbox game with a 10 ft pole before my retirement... They take up way way way to much time.

This have been a good conversation

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"Because it wasn’t the game I loved. That game died in 2005 with the NGE/CU. It died when developers turned their backs on the gamers who had spent the effort and instead listened to the lazy, whining voices who wanted it all given to them."

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

It was a bussiness simulator for him.For other's it was anything you wanted it to be, a true sandbox. Well atleast until NGE... say what you want about Jedi's, atleast back then it actually took some effort to become a Jedi instead of in SW:TOR where anyone can be one from their first character and everyone will have saved the Republic by the time they reached level 50.  

Yeah I get what you're saying, and I will say that I never played SWG past beta (couldn't get into it) so I don't have a great frame of reference on it.  But at the same time, simply being a sandbox doesn't mean you can do everything with equal ease.  Eve, for example, very much leans toward the business simulator type of gameplay...I mean guilds are called corporations even,  come on :).

UO was the sandbox that I fell in love with and, while you could run a business, I felt the game was much more about adventuring and community building than anything else.  The "sandboxness" of UO was in its housing system where players could build communities, and yes business, but it wasn't really as conducive to capturing markets and exploiting the little man as the author of the article makes SWG out to be.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't really say players are simpletons just because they don't like any given sandbox game.  Sandbox games are different just like any other.  Some will feature more adventuring and freedom, others will be more about building an economic empire.  Both playstyles are valid, but they aren't going to appeal to everyone.

Originally posted by Slampig

Funny thing is that I'm one of those gamers :).  I often post business related things because I'm interested in the real world business of the game industry.  But that interest doesn't really extend that far into my actual playing of games.

I do enjoy some economic stuff in games, but I'm not really keen on devoting weeks upon weeks of my time to build an in-game financial empire.

Yeah I get what you're saying, and I will say that I never played SWG past beta (couldn't get into it) so I don't have a great frame of reference on it.  But at the same time, simply being a sandbox doesn't mean you can do everything with equal ease.  Eve, for example, very much leans toward the business simulator type of gameplay...I mean guilds are called corporations even,  come on :).

UO was the sandbox that I fell in love with and, while you could run a business, I felt the game was much more about adventuring and community building than anything else.  The "sandboxness" of UO was in its housing system where players could build communities, and yes business, but it wasn't really as conducive to capturing markets and exploiting the little man as the author of the article makes SWG out to be.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't really say players are simpletons just because they don't like any given sandbox game.  Sandbox games are different just like any other.  Some will feature more adventuring and freedom, others will be more about building an economic empire.  Both playstyles are valid, but they aren't going to appeal to everyone.

You say EvE tends towards a business simulator, but only if you want it to, others see EVE as about exploration, others about fleet PvP, others about piracy. You can play EvE and only interact with the market as a customer. the point is each chooses their own path, you don't want business simulation then you haven't got it.