Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am surprised how outdated the game looks ?!

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Aion was one of the rare MMOs i didnt play in beta nor bought on launch (i guess my disillusion with MMOs started back than)

So I was happy to try it now that is F2P

Now as far as I remember the game was hyped for its beautyful graphic , but i log in - crank everything to maximum and the game looks AWFUL.

Either there is some huge problem with my PC and this specific game , or i dont know what.

But I just could not play it , it really hurts my eyes

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Now as far as I remember the game was hyped for its beautyful graphic , but i log in - crank everything to maximum and the game looks AWFUL.

Either there is some huge problem with my PC and this specific game , or i dont know what.

If it was that bad then it was your computer.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LasciviaeLasciviae Member UncommonPosts: 18

What utter nonsense...

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Confirm your PC need to change

RIP Orc Choppa

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Graphically the game looks amazing. You must be either...

1) Trolling

2) Playing on a terrible comp

3) Confusing aesthetic style for "bad" graphics

4) Expecting the impossible

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

no op is right, i did the same but i also played closed beta back in the days when it was on that stage, bought collectors edition back then and played alltogether 7 months so it says on my master account.

well now i transfer my account to free to play yeah very nice and logged in and wham same feeling does aion really looked like this ? i felt like it looked better then and somehow for some reason it didnt look like that now.

so whoever says its looking amazing dont really have experience amazing looking games out there then sorry to disappoint.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Aion is one of the best looking games imo - theres the odd low res texture here and there but other than that look amazing mostly due to good art, i love the otherworldly feel of the game..

A few tweaks i always recommend :-

Forget about the Advanced Renderer - this just seems to wash out the graphics to me, dynamic shadows and sun rays are nice but i think overall it detracts from the look of the game and for me affects performance too much.  Leave it on the standard renderer and put all to high, bloom effect to 3 and 8x AA if you can handle it.. (a re launch of the game is needed if you change the renderer).

Reduce brightness - the default brightness is way too high - i usually drop it to around 30% and the difference it makes to the look of the game is amazing.

Drop some screenshots - we'll see if there's something wrong...

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Aion was one of the rare MMOs i didnt play in beta nor bought on launch (i guess my disillusion with MMOs started back than)

I think you didn't set your graphic settings right... I think it looks good...

link1

link2

link3

edit: I don't have maxed out settings...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• LasciviaeLasciviae Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by m0lly

no op is right, i did the same but i also played closed beta back in the days when it was on that stage, bought collectors edition back then and played alltogether 7 months so it says on my master account.

well now i transfer my account to free to play yeah very nice and logged in and wham same feeling does aion really looked like this ? i felt like it looked better then and somehow for some reason it didnt look like that now.

so whoever says its looking amazing dont really have experience amazing looking games out there then sorry to disappoint.

I am interested to know what amazing looking games you are talking about... Kindly shed some light on which games you are talking about please.

Thanks,

• NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

Kind of agree,

This game at launch was quite impressive graphic-wise at least, and thats roughlly 2 and half years ago. When logged back to test my f2p account i had that feeling of old game too. Either:

Some textures are missing, or genere advances very fast, mayb got more burned than i thougt, cant rlly tell.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Lasciviae

I am interested to know what amazing looking games you are talking about... Kindly shed some light on which games you are talking about please.

Thanks,

[Mod Edit]

I bought aion when it launched and I remember how the graphics looked like and I know how it looks like now... Now > before , by far. Tho I don't actually play the game, I just logged to check out my old chars...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by korent1991

link1

link2

link3

Yes, it looks exactly as these screenshots you posted.

I am playing TERA beta - link for comparison

My PC has no problem running the game at max settings and it looks like that.

And Aion is not that old game, it should really not look that bad.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Your comparison to Tera is not fair tbh. If anything, Tera should be compared to Blade & Soul.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I agree. Either that or you are for some reason really subjectively against the art style because technically the game is still pretty good. Almost on par with AoC.

But the art style is quite different so...

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

link1

link2

link3

Odd, looked much better than that for me when I tried the game last December.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I agree. Either that or you are for some reason really subjectively against the art style because technically the game is still pretty good. Almost on par with AoC.

But the art style is quite different so...

Yeah tech wise this game is in the top 5 as far as graphics go. You can argue artstyles and everybodies mile may very. The person who said eq 2 looks better then Aion is on drugs or clickedon Lineage 2 from the ncsoft launcher and thought they were playing Aion.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Lol you just finished playing TERA beta of course Aion is going to look bad, no MMO out right now competes with TERA...especially TERAs zones that just got released, its crazy what those Koreans can do.

Archeage or Blade and Soul could come close but they are still over a year from release probably.

Aion graphics are still pretty nice though.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As others have said, Aion graphics are good for its time. Comparing it to TERA is a bit silly, its like comparing Everquest 1 to Everquest 2. Theres no comparison.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

link1

link2

link3

Honestly, those don't look good at all. Just look at the ground/environment textures and the foliage. 

The strength of Aion's visuals always lied in its beautiful character models and art design. Also the masonry looks quite good (so the capitals look good), but when it comes to nature... It just looked old to me even back when the game launched... Now it looks worse.

TERA surely looks *a lot* better, and even in that game, the ground surfaces without meaningful foliage looks a bit like the world has been fitted with a wall-to-wall carpet or something. 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

yeah, a month or so ago people were comparing tera graphics to aion, so i checked aion out, and it was shit.  WoW has better graphics than aion, imo.   kinda proof that people only compare the two because they are both korean, they are totally differnt games.

I've got the straight edge.

• ValkuroValkuro Member Posts: 1

Reading this opinion confuses me - to be honest. I mean, for sure, Aion is no longer that stunning if you start your adventure in Atreia because meanwhile everyone of us might have played games like RIFT or TERA that outbid Aions graphics. However, it didn't look outdated back in 2009, nor does it today. Please regard the fact that Aion celebrated its launch in Korea back in 2008. More than three years have passed since those times and there is still no need for Aion to hide.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Valkuro

Reading this opinion confuses me - to be honest. I mean, for sure, Aion is no longer that stunning if you start your adventure in Atreia because meanwhile everyone of us might have played games like RIFT or TERA that outbid Aions graphics. However, it didn't look outdated back in 2009, nor does it today. Please regard the fact that Aion celebrated its launch in Korea back in 2008. More than three years have passed since those times and there is still no need for Aion to hide.

Good post.

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Valkuro

mate your logic and tolerance doesnt work around here :P these folks dont look kindly apon it.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

I never thought aion looked that good either, the ground textures are horrible and things in the background look like they are painted in and not really there.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Aion's environment textures have always been kind of suspect.  I still feel the character graphics are great and the overall look and feel are much better than many MMOs.  I still won't play it because of how much work in involved in getting something done.  

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

[Mod Edit]

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre