Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 just pulled a Dragon Age 2 on me its terrible

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I wouldn't say it's terrible, personally, but I am disappointed with it. The irony is I hate it, because how much I loved it. I loved the characters, loved the story, and thus with ME3 I find myself hating what Bioware decided to do with the fates of those characters, and the storyline.

I felt very betrayed. Even with SWTOR, I still had faith Bioware could pull it together for the send off of, arguably, their most popular series. It's like it didn't occur to them that their fans were emotionally invested in these characters; they skipped "tug on heart strings" and went right for masochism.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm done with Bioware. DA2 fell short of the mark, SWTOR missed it completely and ME3 took the mark, pissed all over it then shoved it down my throat. It didn't have to end with rainbows and glitter, but ugh...

Whatever the video game equivalent of blue balls is, that's how I feel.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I only read the first few pages of this thread and I found something funny. To the person who said that a 2.3 user score was ridiclulous but has yet to play it.... how do you know that's ridiculous? I mean, it's probably worthy of a much higher score but if you haven't played it... you really don't know, right?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by SterlingG

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by dimasok

And crap, what about people like you?

Holding a grudge against a "gaming" company (i.e. EA) just because somewhere along the line you felt disrespected for not delivering a "game" you wanted or (God forbid) doing what a company does to make money, or for whatever reason you may think this ambiguous company does.

There are a plethora of games and companies that made them that I didn't like but sh**, I'd never hold a hard on for 'em.

Get over it already...

Yeah, people like me who's had 15 years of witnessing EA open it's bloody gorge and devour developer after developer, after first stripping them of their IPs and talent, before throwing the carcass to the wolves.  People like me who's watched EA gut IPs and grind games into pablum for the saucer-eyed masses, too self-absorbed to pay any attention to what's happening around them if didn't directly impact their own private bliss.  People like me who's watched EA's tentacles spreading out through the industry for years, in a bid not only to redirect it, but to remake it into something in their own image.

Tell you what.  People like me will "get over it" once people like you open their eyes.

(mod edit)

Sorry but... Unlight is quite right to be upset. Sure, its just games. But you know what? It's our hobby. So for me, when a company as EA destroys one creative studio after the other and pushes  mainstream trash, I think it is right to be angry.

Sure, there are worse things. Climate change, war, world starvation, poverty. But since this is a game forum, allow us to express our feelings about games!

EA is the bane of games. Period.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I wouldn't say it's terrible, personally, but I am disappointed with it. The irony is I hate it, because how much I loved it. I loved the characters, loved the story, and thus with ME3 I find myself hating what Bioware decided to do with the fates of those characters, and the storyline.

I felt very betrayed. Even with SWTOR, I still had faith Bioware could pull it together for the send off of, arguably, their most popular series. It's like it didn't occur to them that their fans were emotionally invested in these characters; they skipped "tug on heart strings" and went right for masochism.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm done with Bioware. DA2 fell short of the mark, SWTOR missed it completely and ME3 took the mark, pissed all over it then shoved it down my throat. It didn't have to end with rainbows and glitter, but ugh...

Whatever the video game equivalent of blue balls is, that's how I feel.

Well said. I feel likewise, even tho I didn't play ME3, I agree with the rest, and from what I saw and read about the plot of ME3, I also agree on that. Well said. I guess we loved Bioware games so much and cared so it's just how they changed in the last few years that really just is wrong.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Elikal how dare you spew anti Bioware remarks they are the greatest company in the world, I mean DA2 was an amazing experience sorta like SWTOR was even better it is giving wow a run for it's money, oh wait both games sucked. Careful though don't say that around here because lurking behind every corner is a rabid........................................

Bioware has sold their soul to EA and now we have this

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Serves you right!

If you didn't learn the first and second time. Man you guys are so fucking gullible! No wonder developers continue to make money off you guys.

So if I have enjoyed this game so far and enjoyed all of the others, does it serve me right to like them?

Are you one of those grown men bitching and cry over a video game? Then no, move along!

Some folks can agrue Muse's Showbiz was by far their best album, but then they released Absolution that pretty much launched them forward into mainstream spotlight.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I have never been a huge "fan" of the ME games although I have played both 1 and 2. Never went for the DLC as I felt it was just an attempt milk the franchise. I have had very mixed feelings about buying this one considering the back handed merchandising that EA is attempting to force upon people. Perhaps forced is too strong but it sure seems that way to me. While I generally like Bioware, I am seeing more and more influence of EA marketing getting in the way of good game making. Not just with ME3 but several other recent EA releases through some of their other studios. EA just is not push quality. Instead, they want to push it out the door and start making money even if the product is shoddy. I hope that is not true with what Bioware is providing but from what I am seeing and hearing it seems so.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

(mod edit)

I will be gaming even when im 100+ while you can politely go and mind your own business.  At least I'll have fun before I die while you can go ahead and enjoy being a wage-slave

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Meerkat93

Originally posted by Elikal

Oh my. Thank goodness I passed this.

The entire objective/subjective discussion aside: how can it be ALL mags review it 9 or 10 of 10, and 600+ players get to an average of 2.3? I understand some gamers may be overly harsh in some cases, but sorry, for me the entire game mags have LONG ago lost all credibility. They are just paid puppets of the industry.

Elikal I thought you were smarter than this...

If 73 (or what ever the number is now) gave the game between 8 and 10, do you honestly think all of those 73+ People where large enough for A)EA to care about wheather or not they liked their game or B)Have large enough traffic to their site to justify paying them money for ADVERTISMENT.

What makes the reviews of 73+ people anyless valid then the reviews of 600+ most of which more then likely never touched the game and are simply butt hurt over the day one DLC?

I came to this sight to get away from places like /v/ and even Reddit, turns out this place may be just as bad.

If you actually bothered reading through the negative comments on metacritic, then you'll see that the vast majority of it is actually constructive and most not even talk about the DLC, but criticising the game itself!

FACT is, that ME1, ME2 and hell even SW:TOR got more positive scores from users, while with ME3 it's the complete opposite with the vast majority being negative!

Sure, some are pure haters, but you can't ignore the sudden shift and the very negative response from gamers overall.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by JeroKane

If you actually bothered reading through the negative comments on metacritic, then you'll see that the vast majority of it is actually constructive and most not even talk about the DLC, but criticising the game itself!

FACT is, that ME1, ME2 and hell even SW:TOR got more positive scores from users, while with ME3 it's the complete opposite with the vast majority being negative!

Sure, some are pure haters, but you can't ignore the sudden shift and the very negative response from gamers overall.

There's some pretty good reasons for ME3 getting low ratings. I was skeptical of the game. I really wanted to get this one, I loved mass effect, and even enjoyed me2, and wanted to finish off the series. However, with the controversy surrounding this one's release I decided to wait, and do some more digging (plus i'm on a PC, and I absolutely cannot stand Origin, so that alone gave me pause), and I found that there were fairly justifiable reasons for not liking the game.

It's decent, but it's not great, and it's buggy with a pretty half-assed story from what I can tell. I also think that once more gamers get to the actual ending for this game they will be even more annoyed with this title. The sad thing is, I don't think most of the reviewers are haters at all, I think most players really really wanted to like this one, but EA/Bioware made just too many inexcuseable decisions. I know that I, for one, was really conflicted about this title. I really wanted to get it, but there were just too many dealbreakers in the end, and I really hate EA/Bioware for putting gamers in this predicament.

(just to be clear I'm not arguing w/ you, I'm agreeing with you)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Just read about that "day one downloadable content" ... 10 extra bucks for content which was developed before the game itself launched ...

Must have been the same marketing guys who thought up SWTOR's VIP lounge and vendors ... awful. Apparently their strategy is now to always offer a premium experience for more profitssss at launch of their products.

I don't think we should be fooling ouselves by thinking that al DLC for other games has been developed after launch though, but it's very bad practice to ask people extra money for content that has no reason not to be in the game itself and they aren't even trying to hide it by releasing it in a month or so.

How stupid do they think we are?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by DarkPony

Just read about that "day one downloadable content" ... 10 extra bucks for content which was developed before the game itself launched ...

Must have been the same marketing guys who thought up SWTOR's VIP lounge and vendors ... awful. Apparently their strategy is now to always offer a premium experience for more profitssss at launch of their products.

I don't think we should be fooling ouselves by thinking that al DLC for other games has been developed after launch though, but it's very bad practice to ask people extra money for content that has no reason not to be in the game itself and they aren't even trying to hide it by releasing it in a month or so.

Well the thing is, if the game itself was big enough I would not care so much. But I heard that a lot of people are finishing it in around 20 hours of game play. That kind of shows that they put the minimum amount possible in the original game and are planning to release the rest as DLC. Effing BS if you ask me.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by DarkPony

Well the thing is, if the game itself was big enough I would not care so much. But I heard that a lot of people are finishing it in around 20 hours of game play. That kind of shows that they put the minimum amount possible in the original game and are planning to release the rest as DLC. Effing BS if you ask me.

That's what pisses me off too. I spend nearly 70 hours on ME2 on the main storyline and the necessary side missions alone to finish it.

It seems that ME3 doesn't even have half the content ME2 had on release! /facepalm

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

You can't say you all wasnt warned, they deliberately reduce content because they know fanbois will part with their cash for the DLC, and the game sold on the goodwill from the previous 2 games.  One day people will catch on and realise that publishers have no interest in their consumers as long as they have money to spend.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by nilden

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-3

That is a lot of negative user reviews.

wow the differnce between them and critics is scary

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

EA at its best again. lol

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Bye Bye ME3......

I´ll wait untill they sell it 75% Off on steam :P

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Well, if THAT many people are negative, there is some truth in it. And when you read the comments of people (I actually bothered reading them), a lot of them are well written posts! The main negative critique is bland and horrible story, lot less choices in dialogue, terrible ending and tremendous amounts of bugs with importing character data from ME2. And to top it off, the Day 1 DLC pack!

Exactly, look at the user reviews, see how nice worded, logically laid out their arguements are...

Then go to the critics reviews.

"Mass Effect 3 is the first contender for game of the year 2012. BioWare once again delivers a masterpiece."

This tell us nothing, and in fact is very generic, you could say its even recycled, I bet they said the samething about Dragon age 2 only replace it with 2011.  They are PAID to write reviews like this?  This is their job?  Really?

Here's PC gamers

"The end of the series is a mixed bag. Satisfying in some ways, nonsensical in others, and ultimately too simple. But the sheer scale of the adventure it's ending – and the music, which is gorgeous throughout – gives it an emotional impact that goes beyond its plot payload. "

Ok now after reading this I'm thinking oh what did they give it?   Like a 78?   83 maybe?   Nope.   A 93.   Yeah, THAT review is a 93?    wat?

This makes no sense.

Oh come on you two, anyone and their mother knows what a 2.3 means. By most reports the game is essentially ME2 with some enhanced features (this is coming from those PLAYING the game), and are you saying ME2 is worth a 2.3? Half the people who are voting it so low IMO likely didn't even purchase the game due to the DLC fiasco. IN reaction they are voting it low soley based on that. It's a side quest for gods sake. I hate to generalize but seriously what is your negativity all about as an example?

Yeah DLC sucks, so don't buy it, if you're not buying it, don't rate it, is this a hard concept to grasp? If you do rate it at least say I'm voting a 2 because the DLC..

A well written post doesn't mean squat btw Jero, they took the tidbits everyone knew the game had within and said they all suck, doesn't take much more than a kid in 6th grade (or lower) to accomplish that whether they played the game or not.

Icing on the cake:  You admit to stealing the game, and then attempt to excuse the crime. By that logic I should be able to walk into Best Buy and come home with a wall sized  Plasma at no charge I don't like the price so they should just let me take it for free...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Looks promising, the fact that the mmorpg.com community doesn't like it means that it's not "open world" and probably fun to most people, me included. Should arrive by mail today image

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Meerkat93 

I could understand the Dragon Age II rage but after playing TOR and hearing all of the complaints I started to wonder, Mass Effect 3 just proves me right.

What are you talking about? SWTOR is a mediocre game and only SW fans or MMO newbies could reasonably consider it worth a sub. Yet it received universally 90+ point reviews.

Originally posted by gotha

Originally posted by nilden

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-3

That is a lot of negative user reviews.

wow the differnce between them and critics is scary

Yeah I wonder where this disparity is coming from because you dont see it for games like Skyrim where the difference is like 8.4 and 9.5.

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Well, if THAT many people are negative, there is some truth in it. And when you read the comments of people (I actually bothered reading them), a lot of them are well written posts! The main negative critique is bland and horrible story, lot less choices in dialogue, terrible ending and tremendous amounts of bugs with importing character data from ME2. And to top it off, the Day 1 DLC pack!

Exactly, look at the user reviews, see how nice worded, logically laid out their arguements are...

Then go to the critics reviews.

"Mass Effect 3 is the first contender for game of the year 2012. BioWare once again delivers a masterpiece."

This tell us nothing, and in fact is very generic, you could say its even recycled, I bet they said the samething about Dragon age 2 only replace it with 2011.  They are PAID to write reviews like this?  This is their job?  Really?

Here's PC gamers

"The end of the series is a mixed bag. Satisfying in some ways, nonsensical in others, and ultimately too simple. But the sheer scale of the adventure it's ending – and the music, which is gorgeous throughout – gives it an emotional impact that goes beyond its plot payload. "

Ok now after reading this I'm thinking oh what did they give it?   Like a 78?   83 maybe?   Nope.   A 93.   Yeah, THAT review is a 93?    wat?

This makes no sense.

Oh come on you two, anyone and their mother knows what a 2.3 means. By most reports the game is essentially ME2 with some enhanced features (this is coming from those PLAYING the game), and are you saying ME2 is worth a 2.3? Half the people who are voting it so low IMO likely didn't even purchase the game due to the DLC fiasco. IN reaction they are voting it low soley based on that. It's a side quest for gods sake. I hate to generalize but seriously what is your negativity all about as an example?

Yeah DLC sucks, so don't buy it, if you're not buying it, don't rate it, is this a hard concept to grasp? If you do rate it at least say I'm voting a 2 because the DLC..

A well written post doesn't mean squat btw Jero, they took the tidbits everyone knew the game had within and said they all suck, doesn't take much more than a kid in 6th grade (or lower) to accomplish that whether they played the game or not.

Icing on the cake:  You admit to stealing the game, and then attempt to excuse the crime. By that logic I should be able to walk into Best Buy and come home with a wall sized  Plasma at no charge I don't like the price so they should just let me take it for free...

Except copyright infringement and theft is not the same thing, not even legally. In one case you are actually taking a tangible object and in other case you are making a copy of a piece of software, which violates the copyright. These two are vastly different.

And when I rate a game, I rate all aspects of it. If there is a really fun game that costs $1000 the overal rating of the game would go down because there is something called Value, in most reviews. For me Mass Effect 3 seems to have alot less content for the box price, compared to previous Bioware titles. And I am expected to pay more to get more content and this for me drastically lowers the overall rating.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Except copyright infringement and theft is not the same thing, not even legally. In one case you are actually taking a tangible object and in other case you are making a copy of a piece of software, which violates the copyright. These two are vastly different.

And when I rate a game, I rate all aspects of it. If there is a really fun game that costs $1000 the overal rating of the game would go down because there is something called Value, in most reviews. For me Mass Effect 3 seems to have alot less content for the box price, compared to previous Bioware titles. And I am expected to pay more to get more content and this for me drastically lowers the overall rating.

DId you just try and say illegally DLing a copyrighted product (pirating) is not theft? Really?

(yellow )You can only rate all aspects if you've played it, that was my entire point. IF you're not going to play it, why attempt to rate all parts?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

DId you just try and say illegally DLing a copyrighted product (pirating) is not theft? Really?

(yellow )You can only rate all aspects if you've played it, that was my entire point. IF you're not going to play it, why attempt to rate all parts? 

Actually I have not rated it, I just say that those that have rated it and taken the DLC into account are well justified to do so.

As for copyright infrignment and theft not being the same thing, you can debate about it on moral grounds but legally it is a fact that they are not considered the same. They are governed by completely different set of laws. Atleast in my country and I am pretty sure in US as well.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

So it really is RIP Bioware? It seemed pretty clear simply from the (EA) executives running the BW division but I guess it really is all over, sadly BW is long gone.