Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland: First Look Preview

Comments

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by D_I_B

Damn that is some fusion cooking out there, add sharks riding ponies and shooting lazers out of their mouth...

I hate the design mashup, pirates vs ninjas? I'll stick to League of Legends if i want that!

I want an immersive world either fantasy/realistic/sci-fi but with setting that would rule my mind! This cocktail of styles is absolutely anti-immersive :/

Basically that's how the books are (disclaimer, only read the first one, still trying to get the other ones). Basically it takes place on an online VR world where some characters are playing in a fantasy setting, others in sci-fi, others in what could be described as second life on acid and so on, the plot having to do with political conspiracies (both in the real and virtual world) and a disease aparently caught online where people end up in a coma but still appear to be online and the otherland, a kind of paralel network where people is unable to disconnect, and if they die in the virtual world, they die in the real world as well (there are paralels to the Matrix, but the first book came out several years before)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

not enough WUBWUB...wont buy.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Toward the end of the video, it says "Create" and what is apparently an entire zone being created.

Does this mean players can actually create their own landmass/zone?

That might be worth checking out if nothing else.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• maskmurdamaskmurda Member UncommonPosts: 80

It looks good, but if I know any Korean developer, it's gonna be heavily cash shop depenant or have a huge grind. OR they could completely blow my mind and make the game as amazing as it seems.

• kathwynnkathwynn Member Posts: 3

Read the series.. A wild ride down a rabbit hole. Hope the game can match it..

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

If not a typical asian grindfest, worth a try. But if it's a grindfest, graphics and story can't change the endless boredom. I see challenge in missions, fighting, battles and not in getting my epic gear.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

I think it's unfair to compare a game to the books. They are two different mediums with vastly different requirements and levels of interaction. In a book, things happen the way the authors want them to happy. A game allows much more freedom. As great as the books are, they should be considered little more than a guideline to the game.

Part of this reminds me of Minecraft except with better graphics.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

So it's gonna be kinda like Second Life? Kinda looks like it. Not sure if that's a good thing.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

This....Is.... AWESOME! I wish there was more games that is similar to .hack, and i found someone SO fucking close to my fav "digital havok" setting.

• ookillerookiller Member UncommonPosts: 14

Please dont #%%^ it up like Star Wars did IMO

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

"Unfortunately the game Otherland is not available in your country" ...  damn it!!! not another one!!! Why gamigo whyyyy!!!! 

• zafouliszafoulis Member Posts: 13

It's funny that is used dubstep for the trailer soundtrack

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Exterminos

could be interesting but frankly if this thing is mature rated like second life i won't play i don't need to hang out with pedophiles

Pro logic here. So you'd pick a teen or pre-teen rated game so as not to find pedophiles?

Mature rated games are meant for, you know, adults. No kids should be playing them and if you come up to one, feel free to report them. If anything, I'd pick a mature rated game so as to be 99% that no kids are playing them, not the other way round.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Looks veryinteresting. i cant help but feel the game has a "second life" quality about it though. The combat looks pretty repetetive also.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

So many mmos on the market being released

This over-saturation will not end well

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

It's F2P, i'll have a look when it comes out if what i hear in the meantime sounds interesting.

• szgeriszgeri Member UncommonPosts: 1

Originally posted by Nightkin

If not a typical asian grindfest, worth a try. But if it's a grindfest, graphics and story can't change the endless boredom. I see challenge in missions, fighting, battles and not in getting my epic gear.

Yea, I agree with you, but you can enjoy them too if you play it with friends. (PS: NÉZD MÁR MEG A LEVELEIDET!!!)

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by tillamook

So it's gonna be kinda like Second Life? Kinda looks like it. Not sure if that's a good thing.

it shares very little in common with SL.  you can build on your own property, and thats about the extent of it.

this is a game first and foremost.  SL is a (largely) gameless, char progression free (as in, doesn't have it) sandbox.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by zafoulis

Lost me, why is it funny?

• lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Omg this came out of no-where and stunned the crap out of me! Amazing concept!
  • lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Omg this came out of no-where and stunned the crap out of me! Amazing concept!
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Toward the end of the video, it says "Create" and what is apparently an entire zone being created.

Does this mean players can actually create their own landmass/zone?

That might be worth checking out if nothing else.

Someone did not read the huge text below the video?

Yes. You collect bits of data in the "internet" (killing stuff, interacting etc) and acquiring enough data of certain types allow you to create stuff of that type in your "myland". 

In myland you do whatever you want, shape the place, explore it and expand. Its pretty much an owned planet. You build stuff, build up defenses and so on.

Also MyLand is pretty much the metaphor for your PC. EVERY MyLand has an IP Address that is needed to enter it, which means someone might decide to take over your IP , hence where the guild combat comes into play. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Originally posted by zafoulis

it's not dubstep...

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

well, create your own lands? so does this mean more or less like Xyson editable terrain? or we actually create the land from 0?

So What Now?