Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Exploring the Ascalon Catacombs Dungeon

2»

Comments

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by thekid1

Someone explain mode to me please.

Story mode, explorable mode??

Story mode = Easy mode.

Explorable mode = Rage Quit mode.

Story mode = It's not that easy, but it's the easiest you can get xD. Also has a storyline shared by all story modes of all the Dungeons you can find.

Explorable mode = After you complete the Story mode you unlock this mode. You have up to 3 choices in each dungeon when you are in this mode, each choice will tell a story of it's own and have a completelly different challenge, but all of them are Rage Quit mode indeed xD.

• DrakonusDrakonus Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Doesn't seem all that special to me, sounds just like any other dungeon in WoW, SWTOR, DDO, LOTRO, etc. Not saying it won't be fun, but it really doesn't scream 'INNOVATION' at me like most seem to believe it does.

Where is the requirement that all new games should only have innovation?

Here!!! Here!!!  Well said.

• Cyraxx31Cyraxx31 Member UncommonPosts: 18

First of all I wanted to point out that the only mmo I have played extensively is world of warcraft. It was my first major mmo to play, and I started playin in 2005 or so. I never played in any hardcore fashion, I was merely a casual gamer who had aspirations of being able to call myself a hardcore WoW player. The reason for this desire was because 2 of my best friends were hardcore players. They didn't make it all the way to the end raid content of vanilla WoW, but they came close. When TBC came out they hit the ground running and really pushed themselves. During vanilla and TBC I had other priorities in life, thus I couldn't dedicate myself to the game. By this I mean, the time that needed to be dedicated, and the will to dedicate one's mind. I did raid endgame in TBC and made it quite far, but I knew my 2 friends were better.  I would watch them raid at times because I love to spectate, see how people play, adapt, etc... I admired them. I understand that gear played a factor in how good they were, but also their minds had grown with the game. Their knowledge was sound, and I believe this is what made them top echelon players. I took the stance of that is how gaming should be. They did things I couldn't because of dedication. I didn't whine about the content being too hard, so it needed to be toned down or anything like that. The content was fine, I was the one who was lacking. I think this is a major problem in today's mmo field. Why must content be made easier for the masses? It shouldn't. I love basketball with an undying passion. I was an excellent player that excelled in many ways. The reason I am not an NBA player is because those men put that much more effort than I did. All I can do is respect that. The same way I respected my 2 friends. I hope ArenaNet makes things difficult/hard on the player. You learn more from failures than anything. You grow from failure. I would rather fail, and possibly not be the caliber of player I want to be because of my own lack of ability or what not, then have things handed to me. I would not want to sit at my computer beating the "hardest" content in a game, knowing it was nerfed, and believe that I am as good as the guy next to me. Cause it is possible that guy next to me is far better. It is possible that we are on the same level of skill, or maybe I am better. If that player is better than me though, I would never want to believe that my skill is equivalent to his/hers. That is fake, unreal, and not how life is outside the computer. People have certain jobs because they do that particular job better than anyone at that current point and time for the most part. I want to know when I achieve I did it the right way, the hard way, and pushed myself to be better. Not that I got a bunch of other whiny players to get the developers to make things easier for us. Video games are one of the few things in life that you can say, if one person has done it, that means that you can do it. And it is up to me to do so, to put that dedication in whatever fashion that may be. Thank you ArenaNet for making a game that will cause us to fail, adapt, and succeed. Cause I will admire those players who complete those steps cause they deserve it. Hopefully with GW2 I am one of those players. Just my two cents, thanks all. =)

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by thekid1

Someone explain mode to me please.

Story mode, explorable mode??

Story Mode is essentially what the name implies. It follows along the story of the fractured Edge of Destiny group (if memory serves and nothing has changed). Essentially viewing what the group is up to now. You also have to finish a dungeon's Story Mode to play Explorable Mode.

Explorable Mode is (again if memory serves) you the players dealing with the aftermath left by the Story Mode clearing. It offers branching choices and its own set of random unique events that occur throughout the area, which will affect your path through the place as well as the bosses you fight. It's meant to be the hard or "true" dungeon experience.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Cyraxx31

First of all I wanted to point out that the only mmo I have played extensively is world of warcraft. It was my first major mmo to play, and I started playin in 2005 or so. I never played in any hardcore fashion, I was merely a casual gamer who had aspirations of being able to call myself a hardcore WoW player. The reason for this desire was because 2 of my best friends were hardcore players. They didn't make it all the way to the end raid content of vanilla WoW, but they came close. When TBC came out they hit the ground running and really pushed themselves. During vanilla and TBC I had other priorities in life, thus I couldn't dedicate myself to the game. By this I mean, the time that needed to be dedicated, and the will to dedicate one's mind. I did raid endgame in TBC and made it quite far, but I knew my 2 friends were better.  I would watch them raid at times because I love to spectate, see how people play, adapt, etc... I admired them. I understand that gear played a factor in how good they were, but also their minds had grown with the game. Their knowledge was sound, and I believe this is what made them top echelon players. I took the stance of that is how gaming should be. They did things I couldn't because of dedication. I didn't whine about the content being too hard, so it needed to be toned down or anything like that. The content was fine, I was the one who was lacking. I think this is a major problem in today's mmo field. Why must content be made easier for the masses? It shouldn't. I love basketball with an undying passion. I was an excellent player that excelled in many ways. The reason I am not an NBA player is because those men put that much more effort than I did. All I can do is respect that. The same way I respected my 2 friends. I hope ArenaNet makes things difficult/hard on the player. You learn more from failures than anything. You grow from failure. I would rather fail, and possibly not be the caliber of player I want to be because of my own lack of ability or what not, then have things handed to me. I would not want to sit at my computer beating the "hardest" content in a game, knowing it was nerfed, and believe that I am as good as the guy next to me. Cause it is possible that guy next to me is far better. It is possible that we are on the same level of skill, or maybe I am better. If that player is better than me though, I would never want to believe that my skill is equivalent to his/hers. That is fake, unreal, and not how life is outside the computer. People have certain jobs because they do that particular job better than anyone at that current point and time for the most part. I want to know when I achieve I did it the right way, the hard way, and pushed myself to be better. Not that I got a bunch of other whiny players to get the developers to make things easier for us. Video games are one of the few things in life that you can say, if one person has done it, that means that you can do it. And it is up to me to do so, to put that dedication in whatever fashion that may be. Thank you ArenaNet for making a game that will cause us to fail, adapt, and succeed. Cause I will admire those players who complete those steps cause they deserve it. Hopefully with GW2 I am one of those players. Just my two cents, thanks all. =)

Enter key broken?

• Cyraxx31Cyraxx31 Member UncommonPosts: 18

no, just didn't feel like pressing it lol

• wmsky33wmsky33 Member Posts: 2

I'll start this comment by saying that I appreciate a challenge. I don't always want to finish a challenge the first time, or even the Xth time. But I *do* want to finish it. I often play GW1 with fewer than a full party just to make it more difficult. But if the difficulty is such that, with my playing skill and the time I can dedicate to the game, I will *never* be able to finish it, I consider that a failure on the part of the game designer, not me. If that's what A-Net has done, then for that part of the game I consider them failures. Most, if not all, single-player games I've played have several levels of difficulty, so I can adjust it to make it difficult without being impossible. If something is instanced there is *no reason* why the difficulty can't be adjustable. I'm currently playing Lord of the Rings Online and it's skirmish system *is* adjustable. And it works. And it's fun. A-Net has said already said that it adjusts the difficulty of the events in the persistent world for the number of players that join in. Why can't they allow you to adjust the difficulty of explorable instances.

And for those elitists who whine that "If anybody can do it, then it loses all meaning. We can't then prance around showing how much better we are than you for having done this dungeon.", don't give out the same awards/titles to those who don't do it on the hardest difficulty. I don't care about awards/titles. I just want to be able to play all of the game I payed for at a difficulty I am happy with.

• wmsky33wmsky33 Member Posts: 2