Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The Rise and the Fall

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In this week's One Jump Home, we examine the rise and fall of alliances and what causes the unrest in EVE Online. It's high on the political intrigue, and not for the feint of heart.

EVE Online is a place of continuous turmoil. For as long as I can remember, I have always heard about an Alliance in the south that is legendary for one thing, if nothing else - Persistence. Failcascade after failcascade, invasion after invasion they hold on, rebuild and eventually come back. That Alliance is Against ALL Authorities, or -A- as they're more commonly known. I don't pretend to be an expert on what happens in the South of EVE Online. For all of my time playing this game I believe I've spent a maybe a month there spread out over the years. From flying with Goonswarm in Curse during my infancy as a player, to comedic hustling Feythabolis Gas out from under the nose of Red Alliance for a few beautiful weeks in the winter - and finally to my short stay in Delve. This is the limit of my experience with the South and its inhabitants.

Read the rest of Ross McDermott's One Jump Home: The Rise and the Fall.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

EVE: The only game I like reading about more than actually playing.

Great read!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Well, Eve's metagame is a HUGE part of the game and the reason why people find it fun. Nice thread!

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Interesting account of EVE events. Keep it up! :)
  • StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134

Is there even a 1/4 of the depth of Eve in any other game out there? I don't think so.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Hmm a few things,

Against ALL Authorities did not rest during the Russian Civil War  between SOLAR and xXDeathXx.

-A- has been fighting a persistent war since 2010. In 2010, It started when -A-'s ally ATLAS Alliance fell to the combined forces of White Noise, Red Alliance, Legion of xDeathx, and Pandemic Legion. After securing a surrender from afrom ATLAS, those combined "Drone Regions Federation" forces decided it would also be a good idea to kill Against ALL Authorities, they also flip long time ally of -A- and ATLAS, The Initiative, to their cause. -A- put up a bit of a fight but when it became apparent that the combined DRF forces could not be defeated outright (they could field 100+ Super Capital ships with 600-800 regular ships) -A- withdrew to the NPC region of Stain (which cannot be conquered by players and free to dock for all players) to fight a guerilla war from there.

Claiming victory in the south DRF refocuses efforts to the north (with SOLAR Fleet as part of DRF) while The Initiative absorbs much of the former territory claimed by Against ALL Authorities. They install two "pet" alliances Circle-of-Two and Dead Terrorists in the peripheral regions of Feythabolis and Impass to buffer against incursions by -A- who are launching constant harassment attacks from the Stain Region.

Against ALL Authorities gathers its traditional southern allies, known as Stainwagon: Red.Overlord, Stain Empire, C0VEN, Romanian Legion, and other less notable alliances. They launch a counteroffensive against the vast new holdings of The Initiative, which before joining with the DRF forces was a middle power that controlled only 1 region, Immensea (Which was originally granted to them by -A- and ATLAS). They now find themselves spread across over 5 regions. -A- and Stainwagon concentrate their invasion first on the holdings of the relatively weak Circle-of-Two and Dead Terrorists, each of which were small but capable PvP alliances before INIT asked them to come and hold those regions. They put up a spirited fight but it becomes very apparent that they won't be able to hold; despite their relatively small size CO2 and DT could form a combined fleet of around 160 ships, -A- and Stainwagon formed combined fleets that numbered over 300 ships. The leadership of INIT grows increasing frustrated with CO2 and DT's inability to hold back the advance of -A- and Stainwagon while simultaneously refusing to send significant fleets to Fey and Impass to help them defend those regions.

There was a critical battle in a solar system called 68FT, CO2 and DT lost decisively and announced their intention to evacuate and withdraw from the southern war. -A- wastes no time, the war gets pushed up to the Catch region which is the traditional home of Against ALL Authorities. Initially The Initiative puts up a valiant defense of Catch, meeting -A- and Stainwagon on the field for all the sovereignty timers, INIT consistantly forms up fleets of 250 ships with some Super Capital support and manage to hold off -A- and Stainwagon for months. In January of 2011 however, the fleets of -A- Stainwagon began to number close to 500 and they began fielding around 50 Super Capital ships (INIT at best could field 20 at any given time). The Initiative called for aid from the DRF but they refused to join the conflict, partly because they were busy up north, partly because a particular DRF member, Red Alliance, was content to see all of INIT's holdings burn. Red Alliance after sensing weakness proceeds to set INIT neutral and attack INIT's traditional home of Immensea. With Against ALL Authorities burning thru Catch and Red Alliance burning thru Immensea, INIT leadership decided the jig was up and announced a retreat to the NPC region of Curse roughly between Catch and Immensea.

As the dust settles an uneasy peace emerged between Against ALL Authorities and the principle alliances of the DRF. Against ALL Authorities reconquers Catch and much of the south that used to belong to them before the war of 2010. But some southern regions remain in the control of White Noise and Red Alliance. As the DRF pushes to annihilate the Northern Coalition. -A- launches a sudden attack on the borders of White Noise and Red Alliance in the south. Claiming the newly acquired southern territories of White Noise and Red Alliance to be rightfully theirs (since much of that territory were formerly under the auspices of ATLAS or -A-) Against ALL Authorities declares a war of Reconquista. White Noise after fighting heavily in the beginning, chooses to withdraw to newly acquired and more lucrative space in the north (after the annihilation of the northern coalition). Leaving Red Alliance the principle defenders of DRF holdings in the south, with aid from Legion of xXDeathXx.

Without going into too much more detail, the DRF disbands, White Noise dies to an invasion by Goons, civil war breaks out between xXdeathXX and SOLAR while Red Alliance is still fighting -A-. Red Alliance steadily loses ground to -A- as it becomes apparent that the forces of -A- and Stainwagon are much more determined and have much higher morale than forces led by Red Alliance. SOLAR allies with -A- as a 'fuck you, NO YOU!' gesture to xXDeathXx and Red Alliance. -A- fights in both the drones regions and the south at the same time and did so surprisingly well.

Red Alliance sought to create a vast empire in order to fill with renters and profit. The alliances they recruited to help them wanted a place in that empire in order to built their own little corner of nullsec. Against ALL Authorities is quite the opposite, they fight for the sake of fighting, they don't seek to exploit resources or build industry, they seek to destroy. Unlike their adversaries who are part military and part industry, Against ALL Authorities is a purely PvP orientated alliance. Thats why most alliances simply die out after losing most of their territory while -A- simply gets angry and comes back. Its like that line about how marines don't die, they simply go to hell and regroup. This leads up to recent events:

http://www.evenews24.com/2012/03/05/red-resets-and-runs/

Faced with increasingly large  -A-, Stainwagon, and SOLAR fleets; even with the help of the superb mercenary forces of Pandemic Legion and Northern CoalitionDOT there was simply no way for Red Alliance to put up much resistence after a series of defeats in which they had to concede two entire regions to Against ALL Authorities. Their fleet numbers decreasing with each setback. Against ALL Authorities had made it perfectly clear that after repeated insults (having the gall to invade -A- in 2010, then again in 2011 after -A- had taken it back some of its space) that this has become a war of extermination, there will be no more "goodfights" -A- is out for blood and it is seeing RED. There was a time -A- would have been perfectly happy to co-exist with Red Alliance and exchange skirmishes but its continuing arrogance means it must be wiped from the map with extreme prejudice.

Calfis

Ex-ATLAS Resident (renter)

Ex-White Noise Renter

Ex-Member of The Initiative

Member of Against ALL Authorities

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Biased reporting? The World According To Goonswarm?
  • White_TreeWhite_Tree Member Posts: 13

I'm not in Goonswarm, so no. 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Kinda makes me want to go back to Eve. Then I remember how much of a pain it was to train your character. Basically means it will take years to catch up to the experienced pilots.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Yizle

Kinda makes me want to go back to Eve. Then I remember how much of a pain it was to train your character. Basically means it will take years to catch up to the experienced pilots.

To make a statement like that means you do not have much of an understanding of Eve training.  You can be very good in any one thing in a couple months, skill wise.  Using those skills is another story.  Of course if you want to fly something like a mothership or titan you are looking at years, but of course there is not much you can do with such ships unless you are doing large battles with large alliances.

Personally just getting your battlecruisers skills up makes you very competitive or going for t2 frigate skills is also something not hard to learn and competitive.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Fleet fitted battlecruiser in less than 60 days.  Just have or make a friend to get to the right goal, if you wander in darkness you miss the road, and the town, and the inn and thats where the party is in.

Also +1 for OP and +1,5 for -A- forum warrior.

EVE is not a game for those, who wan't something simplier to do than reality.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• ProtousProtous Member Posts: 1

Good read - I love fiction. Goon propaganda is everywhere!!

~~FLAME ON~~

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Ive actually recently come back to Eve after a 250day interim. And Im actually having fun. I found out how to stealth warp in lowsec, so now Im scanning sites down making 10mill runs through lowsec. Hoping to start wormholes soon.