Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review

JackieRyderJackieRyder Member UncommonPosts: 145

Pirates of The Burning Sea

Before Free 2 Play

Pirates of the Burning Sea had become a dream come true for me, EVE online mixed with piracy mixed with kicking major ***.. The sound of this had practically blown my mind until it was no more. The game during beta has had many flaws and imbalances which made the game completely enjoyable since you would actually have to work harder to get stuff done and going to PVP areas actually made you **** your pants because a massive ship coming your way A.K.A a "Invincible" one of the biggest and meanest ships in the game, I'm talking 112 cannons of absolute iron fury and running the economy with one of those chasing you had been an absolute scary thing to do as you could lose your ship with even the slightest of mistakes. For those whom are not familiar with the game there is four main nationalities France, Spain, Pirate, and Britain.. You might be thinking to yourself  "How in god's name is pirate a nation" well hahaha my fine friend it is based of the Brethren of the Coast which was a loose democracy. Now to explain the careers there are three different careers for the nationalities and two for the pirates i will explain those below:

National Careers

Freetraders are independent traders, unaffiliated with the larger trading cartels. They specialize in trading and sailing. They have several buffs to reload which makes them a very formidable fighting Captain and they can grant group buffs that enhance their value to fleets.

Navy Officers are commissioned officers of their nation's navy. They are the heavy hitters of the seas, equipped with a wide range of combat abilities, and with access to powerful ships of the line.

Privateers are essentially pirates that are sanctioned by their nation. They tend to use faster ships that still pack a punch, capable of running down and boarding a cargo tub, but unable to withstand the overwhelming firepower of a ship of the line.

Pirate classes

Buccaneers are pirates more concerned about gold than glory. They have more economy oriented talents, and can scavenge at an earlier level, but lose the ability to take command of ships.

Cutthroats are ruthless plunderers of the seas. They have a variety of combat and maneuvering talents, but their highlight is their ability to take command of ships they have defeated.

While the nationalities had the strongest, biggest, and meanest ships, the pirates had the fastest, most annoying ships that could ever be placed in the game, the pirates were meant to be harrassers and rageboarders(Rageboarding: Boarding with no care of any damage caused to your ship, you do everything possible to board your opponent)

Fighting Styles, there are several different types of fighting styles that i will explain below

Fencing: Players use a rapier to sword fight with.

Dirty Fighting: Players use a cutlass to sword fight with.

Florentine: A 2-handed fighting technique that utilizes a small sword and a dagger.

Brawling: Punching and kicking, players use hand wraps to increase damage.

After going Free 2 Play

The removal of the invincible and the trinity(the two most powerful ships in the game). The balancing of the nations, the weakening of the pirates and carebear group strength added to prevent ganking(Ganking: attacking a single player with two or more players). The game has continued to improve its quality of the game and the playability of it along with options to choose, they have done well with the microtransactions mall to make it so it is not pay to win...

Conclusion

The game is definatly worth trying for all you pirate fans out there as well as all you EVE fans out there, the ship combat alongside the avatar combat has kept many people interested in the game for a while as well as the player driven economy and the massive map along with port conquering and port governing

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

hehehe, you just made me download it (iplayed it before and liked it, but left to be with some friends).

the OP is right on, it's a shame more people don't realize this is a very likeable game, especially for people who want something "eve-sih" but not quite as freeform as eve.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• JackieRyderJackieRyder Member UncommonPosts: 145

indeed the game is great for those whom wish to do avatar combat and do ship combat as well, the missions are balanced out between economy, avatar combat and ship combat

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

This game had it's chance.

It was and will continue to be plagued by a series of poor design decisions that the devs have neither the resources nor inclination to fix.

It would be very difficult for this game to escape its poor legacy and missteps by the devs, which are all well documented.

The fact that the game is now free, in no way mitigates the problems that have plagued this game from the beginning and kept it from becoming largely successful.

Those problems, which I need not go into now, are largely still there, the only thing that isn't is a sub fee, having been replaced by micro transactions.

In the end, making an average game free does not make it any better, only theoretically cheaper to play (and that may not even be so in practice).

Pass.

• Epierce41Epierce41 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Burntvet

This game had it's chance.

It was and will continue to be plagued by a series of poor design decisions that the devs have neither the resources nor inclination to fix.

It would be very difficult for this game to escape its poor legacy and missteps by the devs, which are all well documented.

The fact that the game is now free, in no way mitigates the problems that have plagued this game from the beginning and kept it from becoming largely successful.

Those problems, which I need not go into now, are largely still there, the only thing that isn't is a sub fee, having been replaced by micro transactions.

In the end, making an average game free does not make it any better, only theoretically cheaper to play (and that may not even be so in practice).

Pass.

I tried this game again after it went FTP.  First of all, I've never spent a dime in the item shop and am actively participating in PvP and RvR (endgame content).  Item shop is in no way required to be competitive.  The game does still have its flaws (most of the same ones), but it's not just cheaper to play, it's truly free in the real sense of the word which goes a long way towards helping me look past those flaws. 

Anyone who has ever subbed at one time gets all the perks of having a fully subbed account, now without the sub.  Brand new players will have to sub once and then cancel if they want to get the perks, or be content buying from the item shop which is again unnecessary for competitive play.  But if you've ever subbed before it really is completely free, no strings attached.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

ya, i reinstalled it revcently after this thread began.  having fun again.  I'll have to change my sig one of these days :)

see you in game!

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

What server are you on and your IGN? im on antigua and im Adam Allier

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

I'm checking it out again as well. Gotta find a soc... scratch that, gotta find my characters... where are those pesky guys.

Thanks for the post OP.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

just tell me what server/nationality you are :)

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

I'm on Antigua, Pirate. Not 50 yet, only 36, gotta get cracking I guess.

EDIT:

I switched Nations to Brit, Naval Officer. I wanted a change of scenery. 

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Any pirates need help on antigua... my name is Adam Allier and im lvl 50.... i can help whom ever needs it