Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name one thing you miss from the "original" MMOs...

Comments

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The 'day in the life' feeling of old school mmorpgs. I miss that the most.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I missed EQ's epic quests that required guild effort to complete.  Nowadays it's... "oh, yay I got the 0.1% chance drop from the boss we kill every week" instead of the feeling of having to accomplish something that took months of time and teamwork.  Not just the epic weapons, but even keys/attunements and a few really awesome quests like the Coldain quest lines.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by DannyGlover

The 'day in the life' feeling of old school mmorpgs. I miss that the most.

YES!   For me, EVE Online is my fix of that type of gaming. Back then it was UO. LOgging in and travelling to my favorite hangout, hearing about what's happened while I was gone and maintianing/building my hoard of treasure were parts of my usual routine. It was as if my character is part of a truly persistent world andhalf the fun of logging in what to discover and bevome part of what transpired inmy absence.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• attila2099attila2099 Member Posts: 5

I miss the days of where everything in a mmorpg isn't made to be fair.

IE Racials were different.

Spells/Abillities/Buffs were different.

When BOP wasnt around...  

Exploration and the sake of doing something.. just for fun.. with a group of people.  One moment in lineage 2 people would train a Guardian Tree mob into the middle of town  everyone would stop and try to take down the mob. Not because it had fatty loots.. but just for the challenge.

Things like that.. im sure there is more.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Epic Quests from EQ1.  I could do without some of the insane camps that a lot of them involved (I played a magician, Quillmane was awful), but as a whole they really helped promote cooperation between guild members (and sometimes across guilds), by people helping eachother in return for help on their own quests.  Plus the difficulty and length of the quests made completing them actually provide a sense of accomplishment.

Lack of insancing.

Games actually having a rich second hand economy.

Support classes (EQ enchanter, bard).

True hybrid classes (not classes that can do one thing or another, classes that can actually do two things at the same time, like the EQ druid and shaman).

Being afraid of dying.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

1.  The community (forced grouping)

2.  Stricter death penalty

3.  The community

Did I mention community?  I miss the elements that brought people together rather than apart. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Voiidiin
    That sense of exploration and wonder, the OHHHHH Shit ! thats a huge boss and i am gonna die. I guess its the lack of a serious death penalty, without one you dont fear for your in game life and dying is trivial.

Or dieing is a mode of fast travel! lol

I miss openness of the old games. Many of today's games are so scripted.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Realm pride

These modern raid driven games are more about guilds on the same side competing for who can show off the most shinies
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

32 skill based professions that you could mix and match as you see fit

Sandbox elements

Non-combat professions

Player driven economies

meaningful PvP

Faction pride

Harsh death penalties

Deep crafting that required mathamatical calculations

Oh wait, that game was done about 9 years ahead of its time and still more complex with more feature rich elements than todays big budget mmo's.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I miss long travel times, distances that were long enough that certain classes could make a living offering lifts to other players. 

I also miss night time that was actually dark. I miss collision detection as well. And I miss not having factions. I long for the days a guild could be made up of any race in the game. 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by jmsgalla

1.  The community (forced grouping)

2.  Stricter death penalty

3.  The community

Did I mention community?  I miss the elements that brought people together rather than apart. 

Amen.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

group play

group play

group play

group play

group play

impossible to solo dungeons

impossible to solo dungeons

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Non-Shaet MMOs

Originality

MMO companies not screwing their customers over for a "couple bucks more"

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

The thing I miss the most is a player run economy with all items being crafted by the players.

• WearacupWearacup Member Posts: 161

Feeling a tangible emotion. You know: fear, excitement, anger, joy, wonderment, loss, sadness, expectation, hope.

Trammies need to stop polluting the MMORPG landscape. They already have enough games in which to emote hugs and sell garbage by the banks.

• JuicemanJuiceman Member Posts: 167

Roaming boss creatures.

• HuwtroskyHuwtrosky Member Posts: 9

Due to me being 16 I missed out on all thefantastic things such as UO and DAoC and from what I've seen and read I wish that non-instanced everything would be brought back and also the ability to not have to go and do some crappy questline to level up easier but the option to set out into a massive world where I could craft and explore to my hearts content.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Crafting being relevant, and integral to growth of other players relying on crafters.

But Wait, I have found that game!

It's FFXIV *hides*

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'd like to see the more systems where you have to choose a limited amount of skills/abilities before you headed into an encounter/adventure etc. like it was in Guild Wars. It created the same kind of fun element that is present in some card games such as Magic the Gathering where had to build your deck of 60 out of thousands of cards.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Okay, I'll bite.

The one thing I miss from "original" mmos is community. Where douch bags are relegated to iggy land and blacklisted from groups/raids.

Keeps the mmo in mmorpg since you have a core of folk who are civil to each other <3

• HuwtroskyHuwtrosky Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Quirhid

I'd like to see the more systems where you have to choose a limited amount of skills/abilities before you headed into an encounter/adventure etc. like it was in Guild Wars. It created the same kind of fun element that is present in some card games such as Magic the Gathering where had to build your deck of 60 out of thousands of cards.

Completely agree it adds that next level of preperation and tactics instead of just bringing millions of spells and skills *cough* WoW *cough* with you

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Just one thing? Soo hard since there are so many things I miss. I guess if forced to say just one thing, community.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

pride in what i have acheived with my char

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Interactivity being a necessity.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I was going to mention UO and the crafting... then I saw someone mention "community" and I think I'd go with that.

Back before name changes and easy leveling etc... or like my EQ server which had very few active healers (I was a cleric).   If you acted in a way that would be considered common now... you did not get resses and you did not get groups.   If you were in a group you might suddenly find yourself kicked because the cleric wouldn't join with you in the group.

Which is one side of it.

I can honestly say I really enjoyed wandering through the crowds early on in Ultima Online.   I would stop and talk to people randomly all the time.. in that big scray FFA pvp game.   I'm so anti social now I don't think anyone would believe how social I was in UO....