Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can i accept if i going back?

Comments

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

You can expect a WORK IN PROGRESS, that's charged as AAA mmo, with very shady/questionable company running it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by username509

Originally posted by Betel

Mortal online has improved dramatically since beta.

In what ways, specifically?

Sync issues have been ironed out.  

Then why is it still top of the players "fix this now" list?

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/72569-will-prediction-navmesh-fixed-awakening.html

Little annoying bugs have been fixed.  

Such as? There are bugs from beta in there, and severe (as in player or server crashing) bugs that have been around for months.

The population now is higher than it was a year ago.  

Completely untrue and you know it. SV's financial results and even the absurd metric the supporters of MO use (transaction numbers) all show a low population that is only getting lower.

You can always try the free trial if your not sure.  

Should try a free trial even if you think you are sure, the trial retention rate is so low for a reason.

[mod edit]

Mortal is really the best sandbox out there.  

It is a terrible game that will enhance the sandbox genre ony by closing. There are many, many sandbox games out there that are far better than the dross that is MO.

Betel

You have no idea what the trial rention rate is for Mortal Online.  It has never been released.  The only clues we have are the stated increase in licenses and subscription starvault released a few weeks ago.  

[mod edit]

SV financial statements report on how much or how little profit they made. If you want a more accurate picture of how many players are in Nave you should read this newer statement made by SV.

New Player SURGE!

Because they don't post the retention rate it can safely be inferred that the value is low, and something they are not proud of, that's all most folks really need to know.

Statements from SV themselves have to be viewed in the light of the marketing spin they always are.

The solution is quiite simple, SV publishes the actual figures and no more debate.

But they won't be doing that any time soon I'm guessing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Yes, it's going to be a slideshow when you play with a pentium 4 and 2 gigs of ram.  For the majority of us we can play Mortal Online just fine.  

This guy just doesnt jump to conclusions based on no factual information whatsoever, but he leaps and bounds into pitfalls wearing rose tinted goggles for that extra bit of protection. Its just madness I tell you, its just MedulliMadness.

Good thing you are doing the trial, OP. Its compulsory to start with the trial if your post contains the words "new player" / "returning player" along with  "Mortal Online" in the same post.

Originally posted by argirop

On a serious note to moderators: what do you expect for taking some action against trolls?

Far as I have seen, a couple of mods here slap bans and delete posts (both of fanboy and anti-fanboy kind) from a NPOV stance. But there is one mod who goes ban-happy against posters with a critical view of MO. This post might get moderated as well but I CBF if someone moderates here with a vested interest, moderators are also human and prone to make mistakes after all.

ginally posted by mehoron

Why has this thread also DERAILED into another unsubstatiated rumor mill. Who the hell is actually MOD on this forum?

Hello, welcome to mmorpg.com forumspace for the game Mortal Online. Here you might find active discussions on various topics that branch out from the header the OP puts in his first post. But dont let those threads bring you mental anguish due to the fact that topics that go into discussion about active population that might support / hamper the new or returning player's experience does infact matter to the person who is interested in playing a "Massive"-MORPG. I do wonder if you would have had the same 'problem' if some poster started putting down claims of MO having 20k+ subs/players while painting an exaggerated picture of MMO goodness about Mortal Online, ie churning the rumour mill frrom the other direction. 

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Yes, it's going to be a slideshow when you play with a pentium 4 and 2 gigs of ram.  For the majority of us we can play Mortal Online just fine.  

It's a fact that MO is very badly optimized. I am having troubles with it on an alienware desktop, constant graphical artifacts and memory leaks.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by Toferio

It's a fact that MO is very badly optimized. I am having troubles with it on an alienware desktop, constant graphical artifacts and memory leaks.

i agree, it is a fact that MO is badly optimised, its as badly optimised as darkfall is. maybe worse. Reality is trying to play MO with just 2gig of ram is not going to happen you need at least 4 since mo uses a rather constant 2gig on its own. I would recommend 6gig ram for MO and a quad core processor.

The game is certainly demanding, overly so in some areas and has issues with intel 6600 processors. But ram optimisations are coming with awakening and the game is supposly going to run smoother and on lower end machines after the expansion but we will see.

An I5 processor or above, 6gig ram and a modern graphics card and MO will run fine even in large battles.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    for official game specs

https://account.mortalonline.com/content.php?name=information

Scroll to the bottom and it's just above the bit where star vault say fuck you.

Edit: The fuck you text beneath the system specs has now been removed
  • Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by RefMinor

LOL!!! I saw that.

O my goodness...im laughing my ass out in real life at the moment.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by RefMinor

My bet is that security breach was from inside from someone who got all sort of details, passwords accounts, administrator acess in forums and who knows what else. Probably an unhappy employee or a no longer employee and my next bet is that he made more of those little surprises we are about to find out one by one in the future.

P.S. did you quoted yourself?

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

You have no idea what the trial rention rate is for Mortal Online.  It has never been released.  The only clues we have are the stated increase in licenses and subscription starvault released a few weeks ago.

We know for a fact that every quarter the population of MO falls lower (SV's own figures). We know from the official forum and this one that people are doing the trial accounts, so why are those people not still in game? Ergo the trial retention rate is very low.

The statement from SV a few weeks ago is meaningless and provided no real figures. If they sold 2 copies of the game in November, then selling 3 copies of the game in December is a 50% increase. It also takes no account of subs that were ended in that period - they may have lost 20 accounts in that time. The actual figures have shown a steady decline in population since the game launched and you have provided no evidence of a population rise despite your repeated claims over many months that it is rising.

Your last post as well as every other post you make about Mortal Online is derogatory and misleading.

Reported your post for attacking a forum member with zero evidence of your allegations.

SV financial statements report on how much or how little profit they made. If you want a more accurate picture of how many players are in Nave you should read this newer statement made by SV.

Wrong, SV's financial figures always mention the sale of copies of the game as well as subscriber trends. Those reports put both on a constant downward trend.

New Player SURGE!

You call 3 new subscribers while 90+ accounts are closed a surge? LOL

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please remain on topic and not veering off into separate discussions about retention, subs, financials, moderation, etc, as there are already other threads for most of those discussions. Please don't drag them  here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Just found this video personally even though its been out several months. It shows alot of what mortal 'looks' like now. Pretty well done video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4FSjX-F60 

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by xDayx

Just found this video personally even though its been out several months. It shows alot of what mortal 'looks' like now. Pretty well done video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4FSjX-F60 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LD9PUvKTk&feature=related

i think the above is a more accurate representation, since its of recent gameplay, of combat with a similar number of people that is commonplace.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• TacanTacan Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by gotcha89

Hello mmo players,

Right now i'm downloading the client of Mortal Online. I'm searching for a great sandbox game. I tried darkfall online already but the world of darkfall seems so dead. Maybe i'm wrong but that is just how i feel. 

I already played the beta of mortal online but yeah what a bugs, what a bugs. So what can i accept now if i'm start playing? How is the world? How are the features? how are the people?

When i first start playing Mortal Online it was a hard way to find out what to do. how to craft? how to cathingering etc? Is it now easier to understand how the game needs to be played?

As you can see a lot of questions so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm really sorry for my bad english, so i hope you guys can understand.

Gotcha

DF US  server better.

in MO

40-50% use cheats or exploits. all MO one  big exploit,   buged prediction, textures ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LD9PUvKTk&feature=related

all video have high speed...why?? bcz  video at normal speed MO PVP  baldly.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Talonsin

Originally posted by realnaste

Firstly You can expect a lot of bugs. You will get stuck and will be forced to wait for a GM to respond to your call for help, mobs will do impossible things, like going through walls,  engaging turbo boost too hit you from behind in a split second, or just plainly going invisible(but still dealing damage).

You will also be killed, or griefed by many and in many ways.

You will fight a clunky GUI trying to figure out what's what, and how to do even the most basic of things.

From time to time You will be annoyed at the prediction if you pvp.

That and many more are the problems of MO.

Now. MO is far from a finished and polished product, but it does have a forum. If you want advice from people that actually know anything about the game, go there and ask.

This place is just full of trolls that usually bash the game basing on their experience from the beta or shortly after and irrelevant BS like the CEOs past.

Cheers

Disclaimer- I play MO and with all it's problems consider it the only fantasy mmorpg game on the market remotely worth paying for. I know I posted a lot that could be interpreted as proof that MO is not worth trying, but because those issues are now on a level far from gamebreaking, I do believe the complete opposite.

This game (with all it's shortcommings) offers a diversified experience like no other modern game of this genre making it the closest thing to a polished fantasy sandbox you'll get.

PS. yay...i can't believe I actually made an account on this forum... :/

Riddle me this batman...  What is far from polished but also polished? 

P.S. I'm so glad that you came to this forum and gave us the benefit of your superior intellect. 

His statements are not contradictary.  A game can still be unfinished/unpolished but because of the state of other like games available..still be the CLOSEST THING to a polished version.

Game runs pretty smooth on my PC. (3.4ghz Quad sandybridge..not remembering the actual model number...8 gigs ram windows 7 64 bit and  Gtx580.1680x1050 res) Settings maxed except i occasionally have to turn off DX10 because it  causes crash to desktop before log-in. I also leave AA off b/c it cause shiny red colors in the shadows. I just force aa from the Nvidia control panel and it works fine. At times it looks really nice..esp landscapes...but some models look terrible. Everyone looks dirty to me..lol...but thats the art direction it seems. It fits the world which can be very seedy and brutal.. I have some skips/lag very rarely...runs pretty well other than that and the aforemention bugs. Most of which are graphical that I've noticed. Horses riding a few feet off the ground..or sunk into the ground. Stuff like that.

• BitshiftBitshift Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by realnaste

I know I posted a lot that could be interpreted as proof that MO is not worth trying, but because those issues are now on a level far from gamebreaking, I do believe the complete opposite.

Riddle me this batman...  What is far from polished but also polished? 

P.S. I'm so glad that you came to this forum and gave us the benefit of your superior intellect. 

His statements are not contradictary.  A game can still be unfinished/unpolished but because of the state of other like games available..still be the CLOSEST THING to a polished version.

That's just all not true. MO is NOT playable if you don't want to play in a guild and don't play it core-style (Melee Combat). Because none of the non-core features is working (AI, Pathfinding, Collision detection and and and), it really IS just a MMO with Melee Combat. There is no RPG in it, because everyting you do is centered around Melee PvP.

And if there is no guild that supports you, it is just stupid grind of the most boring mining and chopping implementation I've ever seen, just to make you able to SURVIVE a fight. And because of all that grievers you will constantly die and redo that shit all the time. In the current state it would be much more fun to implement this game on a World of Tanks style of game: Log in, enjoy the Melee Combat, have fun. But this implementation of an MMORPG is just plain bad.

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Bitshift

That's just all not true. MO is NOT playable if you don't want to play in a guild and don't play it core-style (Melee Combat). Because none of the non-core features is working (AI, Pathfinding, Collision detection and and and), it really IS just a MMO with Melee Combat. There is no RPG in it, because everyting you do is centered around Melee PvP.

And if there is no guild that supports you, it is just stupid grind of the most boring mining and chopping implementation I've ever seen, just to make you able to SURVIVE a fight. And because of all that grievers you will constantly die and redo that shit all the time. In the current state it would be much more fun to implement this game on a World of Tanks style of game: Log in, enjoy the Melee Combat, have fun. But this implementation of an MMORPG is just plain bad.

Even if you are right, and MO is a guild-only game, what does that have to do with anything you quoted?

Anyway, to answer your post- I am a soloer, and I NEVER mine nor do I chop wood. I don't like it, so I use different ways to gain what I need.

The only thing I can say is MO can be fun for those that actually learned to play and reslly frustrating for those who didn't. That is why so many people want a better experience for newbs (one of the areas where MO is seriously lacking, having no real tutorial and all).

I also have a question to end my little post. Is magic and archery a part of melee combat in your opinion?

Even if you are right, and MO is a guild-only game, what does that have to do with anything you quoted?

I have answered to this statement:
    "[...] but because those issues are now on a level far from gamebreaking, I do believe the complete opposite."

Anyway, to answer your post- I am a soloer, and I NEVER mine nor do I chop wood. I don't like it, so I use different ways to gain what I need.

So that's an interesting point here.
    It seems that all the veterans are playing this game in a complete other way than the newbies.
    I have heard about that butchering thingy to make lots of money and so on, but this is just another unsatisfing grind in my opinion (If you mean that approach). The AI is nearly non-existent, and that whole mess with bringing your horse to the next butcher table is ridiculous. You die by griefers, your horse gets stucked, you get stucked or whatever.
    It is simply NOT POSSIBLE to make an educated guess if you will be successfull with that procedure, and that's not because I'm such a bad player or a WoW N00b, it's because the game is just bugged up to the core and 90% of the players are playing it PvP Arena style.

If the "different ways" you mentioned consists of beeing a red PK, well, than we don't need to discuss further, cause that's exactly what I'm talking about.

The alternative some people are using is the 'muliple accounts approach', but you can't mean that, cause this is really not a pro-MO argument, it shows that something is not working correctly with the game's concept.

And to make money with trading for example you need to grind, or are you selling air?

To get to your first question:
    A guilded player have access to much more ressources than a loner, which seems to be okay at first, but since this game forces you to constantly re-gear your equipment, you do nothing else than grind. At least as an unexperienced loner.

The only thing I can say is MO can be fun for those that actually learned to play and reslly frustrating for those who didn't.

'That actually learned to play' AND like to PvP only, IMO.
    Well, the "l2p" argument is widely used. If people only can be successfull by two or three obscure gameplay styles that needs to be 'revealed' first, than this is just a gameplay fail.
    That means that I'm not able at all to participate if I'm unaware of that secrets from outer space. Which means that perhaps 70% of potential players will quit after a month or their trial, because they were not able to accomplish anything. Which is bad for MO.

That is why so many people want a better experience for newbs (one of the areas where MO is seriously lacking, having no real tutorial and all).

Correct. But obviously the game itself is the problem for the most, not only a missing tutorial. SV had made those Tutorial sections and videos, but it all didn't help that much. As you say, you have to know that few tricks which enables you to 'enjoy' MO, I was not able to figure them out. And I don't think I will try again until they have fixed all the common bugs that I, personally, found very gamebreaking.

I also have a question to end my little post. Is magic and archery a part of melee combat in your opinion?

Yes. I should have made that clearer.

I solo and am guildless also. I have 2 accounts and do just about everything. I fish, cook, mine, woodchop,butcher, make armor, make swords, explore, hunt, and a little pvp also (to be honest most of the time I sprint away fast on my horse, especially if its 2vs 1 or worse) And I butcher with my horse near the table. The range between horse and you is alot better than it used to be (you used to have to almost stand inside the horse).  After all if you want to you can just butcher carcasses out in the world using your skinning knife with butchering at skill level 1 if you want to.  Looking forward to real pve with awakening also and armor dyeing.  So no, the game is not only about cutting and mining.

I wasnt always guildless, when I first started my guild helped me get on my feet. Its no trick. Just obtain all the skills as you possibly can and subtract the ones you dont want and add to the ones you do.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I solo and am guildless also. I have 2 accounts and do just about everything. I fish, cook, mine, woodchop,butcher, make armor, make swords, explore, hunt, and a little pvp also (to be honest most of the time I sprint away fast on my horse, especially if its 2vs 1 or worse) And I butcher with my horse near the table. The range between horse and you is alot better than it used to be (you used to have to almost stand inside the horse).  After all if you want to you can just butcher carcasses out in the world using your skinning knife with butchering at skill level 1 if you want to.  Looking forward to real pve with awakening also and armor dyeing.  So no, the game is not only about cutting and mining.

I wasnt always guildless, when I first started my guild helped me get on my feet. Its no trick. Just obtain all the skills as you possibly can and subtract the ones you dont want and add to the ones you do.

I think the point is that only a minority of players enjoy a game where the only non-PvP activities are repetitive and boring chores (like watching a mining/woodcutting animation, or staring at a butchery table while a timer ticks away, or click an ugly crafting interface) that only serve to fuel PvP.

Only a minority of players enjoy doing all that in a harsh FFA environment full of griefers and RPKs who'll go out of their way to make you miserable 24/7, even in the so-called "safe" areas.

No, only a minority of players think it's fun to grind away at boring chores and at the same time risk getting killed for no reason, all in a game so full of bugs and placeholders that hardly no feature is working 100% - in fact it's so broken that the actual "game" consists in knowing the best exploits and bug workarounds.

You'd have to be a masochist to put up with it for any length of time. And that's why MO will never keep any signifant amount of players. Lots of people have been drawn to it because it promises real freedom and openness, but that freedom and openness just comes off as really shallow once you have played for a while; you either PvP, or grind. You either grief or get griefed.

Not many people enjoy that kind of "freedom".

I agree with you Biskop. It isnt for everyone. It is hard to be a soloer in MO. Im glad someone finally ackowledges my plight. lol. For me it all pays off when I finally solo that shore prower or my house got finished, etc.  

I have a friend who hates FFA Loot. And I personally cant understand why you would want to play a game where you dont loose your gear. Its like your playing an arcade game with an unlimited number of lives.

I dont get mad when someone kills me or takes my stuff. Because usually its my own fault. I wasnt careful enough or I had my horse on defensive and my horse got killed. etc.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Game runs pretty smooth on my PC. (3.4ghz Quad sandybridge..not remembering the actual model number...8 gigs ram windows 7 64 bit and  Gtx580.1680x1050 res) Settings maxed except i occasionally have to turn off DX10 because it  causes crash to desktop before log-in. I also leave AA off b/c it cause shiny red colors in the shadows. I just force aa from the Nvidia control panel and it works fine. At times it looks really nice..esp landscapes...but some models look terrible. Everyone looks dirty to me..lol...but thats the art direction it seems. It fits the world which can be very seedy and brutal.. I have some skips/lag very rarely...runs pretty well other than that and the aforemention bugs. Most of which are graphical that I've noticed. Horses riding a few feet off the ground..or sunk into the ground. Stuff like that.

So another way to phrase it would be that MO is a turd of a game but compared to other turds it has the most shiny surface?

Seriously, both Eve and UO are more polished than MO and both are sandboxes with full loot PVP so I dont know how you can say that MO is the most polished in this genre.  I understand you may not like them as much but that does not mean they are not in the same category as MO. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

So another way to phrase it would be that MO is a turd of a game but compared to other turds it has the most shiny surface?

Seriously, both Eve and UO are more polished than MO and both are sandboxes with full loot PVP so I dont know how you can say that MO is the most polished in this genre.  I understand you may not like them as much but that does not mean they are not in the same category as MO. 

I would assume you like a game based on how much you enjoy it and how you feel its features compare to what you look for in a game. In this case...the poster feels this is the closest match to what he looks for and seems more polished and complete than most others in the same league. I've met plenty of people myself in MO that are from UO and look to it as a replacement and others that also play EVE. More complete may be a better term to fit the post as it seems  most see polish as merely how smooth and pretty things run..while I see it to encompass many things.

As far as smooth and pretty...EVE and UO (not talking just graphics here) should surpass most as they have been out a crap-ton longer than games like Darkfall and MO.  I actually would like a game as large and smooth as Darkfall with the art design and features of Mortal Online (some better avatar models would be nice though..everyone looks grumpy..lol). I was really impressed by Darkfalls smooth scaling...I could walk from "A" to "B" with no pop that I remember...everything scaled perfectly as I closed in on various things..trees..buildings...players..etc. Pretty nice for an indie game.

They are all good sandbox games MO, EVE, and DF. Although I have trouble immersing myself in playing a spaceship. They all also have alot that could be done with them to make them more sandboxey and better playing. If I have to play a MMO at this point it would be either MO or DF. As a matter of fact I play one when I get fed up with the other.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I duno if I would call MO for a sandbox, rather a FFA PvP game. DF is already on the very edge of definiton for me and it got more features than MO. A sandbox needs to have tools for creation, tools allowing creative and smart use of them. Only because a game drops factions and allows people to loot each other does not make it sandbox, how low standards do you people have :/

I am not arguing if MO is a better or worse game. But a sandbox? Im not so sure Id call it that, it lacks tools.

Originally posted by Biskop

I think the point is that only a minority of players enjoy a game where the only non-PvP activities are repetitive and boring chores (like watching a mining/woodcutting animation, or staring at a butchery table while a timer ticks away, or click an ugly crafting interface) that only serve to fuel PvP.

Only a minority of players enjoy doing all that in a harsh FFA environment full of griefers and RPKs who'll go out of their way to make you miserable 24/7, even in the so-called "safe" areas.

No, only a minority of players think it's fun to grind away at boring chores and at the same time risk getting killed for no reason, all in a game so full of bugs and placeholders that hardly no feature is working 100% - in fact it's so broken that the actual "game" consists in knowing the best exploits and bug workarounds.

You'd have to be a masochist to put up with it for any length of time. And that's why MO will never keep any signifant amount of players. Lots of people have been drawn to it because it promises real freedom and openness, but that freedom and openness just comes off as really shallow once you have played for a while; you either PvP, or grind. You either grief or get griefed.

Not many people enjoy that kind of "freedom".

Exactly what I think. It's not only about the bugs, it's the concept at all - It just isn't a sandbox where you can "choose your own destiny", because there is no choice. There isn't even sand. Sadly.

This discussion has been closed.