Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera VS GuildWars 2

Comments

• dracopiedracopie Member Posts: 51

The dodgeing not working properly was a glitch in earlier demo's. It has been fixed since then.

It's very noticeable starting from 2 minutes in that there IS proper hit detection.

• fingerfightfingerfight Member Posts: 10

Man I see a lot of GW haters in this forum. Oddly enough they think GW2 is just GW1 with a revamp graphic engine. Sadly for them, it isn't.

If you would have been a bit of fans with GW1 you would've known that the developers wanted to make a 5th expansion, but couldn't because of the limitation of the first game. So they decided to make GW2. Of course it will have similarities, that's why it's called GuildWars 2(like... in... GuildWars the sequel to the original). Problem is, from what I've seen and from my 1k+ hours experience in GuildWars the combat is more dynamic and the world is more vivid.

Dunno why you guys say the graphics sucks, I find them really good actually( best game, graphic wise, I played was The Witcher 2).

I really hate it when people start hating but without even the game being released... for god's sake... did you even play the game to even hate it? It's like saying: "Fallout 3 will suck, cause look at Fallout 2 and it's outdated graphics and yuck I couldn't even get past the first quest cause of the damn graphics". 

There's more to a game than you can see in a video. Especially MMO's. MMO's are all about immersion, all about community, all about exploring and unraveling a beautiful world crafted especially for you, all about finding that one quest that makes you giggle, finding that one NPC that doesn't fit in the landscape and makes you wonder what quest it gives, or if it's there just for show... People like you that judge a game from a  video and not even a review(at least the reviewer has played the game for 10+ hours and can say if it's worth it or not, even if the review is biased anyway) should just quit games. Just watch movies. Games are not for you my friends.

Back to the GW2 vs Terra. Well... personally i think the pvp in Terra will be something like Lineage 2 and i loved the pvp in L2, really liked one-shooting people with my storm screamer(crit FTW) so if you like something like open world PVP, you should definetly try it. If you like realm pvp and group pvp, try GW2.

As far as immersion and PVE goes I give my vote to GW2.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locking thread due to necro.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• psysentionpsysention Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by Elloa

Hello Everyone,

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

Tera is the next step till guild wars 2

Never judge tera without playing it, tera even maybe better than GW 2.. i havent played gw2 yet but i played tera and only really good gamers can play Tera effectively.. it's not popular in KOrea cause it is not made for Korean gaming.. Koreans are not good with mouse control.. thats why no korean clans ever won any international FirstPersonShooter game tournaments.. Tera requires both Mouse control and Keyboard control, unfortunately even tho Korean players are best when it comes to keyboard control, they suck at mouse aiming..

I suggest everybody to play TERA at least once than compare to GW 2..

cause its total different games..

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

From what i´ve seen from both games, i think guildwars2 is a game that will get u involve in all aspects , and TERA will just be an good mmorpgs with enhanced graphics but i think the developers must realize we gamers want to be envolve we want to be a hero and build our history, so i think TERA will fail with all due respect but i have high hopes for secret world cause its an original story mmorpg..

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

They're both great games, I haven't played GW2 yet but I have played closed beta of TERA. From what I've already experienced, I actually enjoyed it alot. What TERA has is what we all love in a MMORPG but with a more skill based combat system with the ability to dodge.

If you're interested in both games, just try them both. It's not like you'll be paying monthly subscription for 2 games.

• kalakujakalakuja Member Posts: 24

No better pvp than bloodline champions :/

Why can't they just focus on skill based pvp and not some silly easy to play kiddie sellout crap.

• KosiguruKosiguru Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by kalakuja

No better pvp than bloodline champions :/

Why can't they just focus on skill based pvp and not some silly easy to play kiddie sellout crap.

7 buttons and at most 5v5?

Really?

Easy to play kiddie crap pretty much defines the MOBA genre in comparison with real RvR/PvP.

Try playing a real skill based pvp game like DAoC before thinking ANYTHING about bloodlines is remotely comparable.

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Kosiguru
    Try playing a real skill based pvp game like DAoC before thinking ANYTHING about bloodlines is remotely comparable.

Huh. DAoC having skillbased PvP is actually news to me. The more you know.

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

• KosiguruKosiguru Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by makkaal

Originally posted by Kosiguru

Huh. DAoC having skillbased PvP is actually news to me. The more you know.

Np, I'll be here all week.

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

Guildwars 2 owns all mmos atm

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by xenpt

Guildwars 2 owns all mmos atm

Nah, World of Darkness does that. The less actual first hand experience you have over an MMORPG, the more it owns. And when you eventually actually play it, it miraculously stops owning.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

I've been playing Tera for the last 2 beta weekend events and I like it pretty much. The best pasrt of the game for me was the combat system. Fighting BAM's is just so fun! :) I just hope there will be enough dungeon and raid content.

But Guild Wars 2 is still my number one game on the list. It will definitely be the next step in the MMORPG genre I think. Dynamic events, cross-professions combos, personal story, no sub fee,.... I'm really looking forward to this.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Uhhh I thought this old thread got locked. People keep necroing it..

Eat me!

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by MorbidCurio

Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

Well one of the areana net devs in one of the dunguen run videos says that dodge rolling makes you invunerable during the process of the roll from dmg (Except any dots you have on you before you rolled) Caqnt remember what video it was in, i think it was one about the necro preview that was posted here not to long ago.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Given everything we can possibly know about the two, it's GW2.  No contest.

Action based combat is interesting and fun, but I'd rather have traditional MMO combat in a more dynamic, event based world than action based combat using a quest system tacked onto a grinder after the fact.

As it stands, unless a game can use the traditional system with the story quality of LotRO's Epic quests or TOR's class quests(full VO not required), I'm probably not going to be able to stay interested.

And buy2play as opposed to buy+sub?  That's the final straw.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    It's in yogcast's dungeon video he says that
  • Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

i will play Both, since one is free and the other has a sub fee.  so it is perfectly viable for anyone to play both.

currently i'am playing Tera beta and so far i love the game.  having lots of fun. 

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

GW2 is more ambitious, and has many more innovative features, and more content.

TERA has sexy avatars.

I will play both.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by bill4747

GW2 is more ambitious, and has many more innovative features, and more content.

TERA has sexy avatars.

I will play both.

Me to, can't wait for both GW2 and Tera.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

In the long run, TERA will just be another grindfest mmo.

The real question is:  Archeage VS Guildwars 2

• vojkan95vojkan95 Member Posts: 104

Age of wulin vs Guild wars 2 ..... others are bad for me , maybe wildstar will be fun .

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by maxiime223

i hate to burst your bouble but you are highly missinformed.  Tera isen't grindy at all

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I'll go with the company I've actually heard of. So yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and pick Guild Wars 2. Tera and Archeage will be F2P with 18 months. That's my bold prediction. I just wasn't impressed with Tera for my experience in the beta and I really don't have a lot of faith in ArcheAge either (I think that's the name of the game, LOL). I rarely see mostly unheard of companies rise up and make a successful MMO in recent years (Trion is the exception to this rule).

I could be wrong but the safe momey is on GW2.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Nadya3

Originally posted by maxiime223

i hate to burst your bouble but you are highly missinformed.  Tera isen't grindy at all

I can't consider your argument valuable. Not with as many gammar mistakes.