Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Food for Thoughts

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Nadya3

Warhammer had public quests, dynamic events.   and so did Rift.   yet  none of those games seem to be doing the greatest now are they?

Rift is a financial success for Trion.

Warhammer had issues that were not solely game related. For example, a big portion of the population (me among them) abandoned the game due to the slaggish response of the EU publisher at the time, which effectively killed the game for EU. Public quests in warhammer were actually one of the most fun things you could do, but due to slow response and Mythic spreading the population to gazillion servers, it made it really hard to derive any fun from them.

GW2 is basically WARhammer 2 (or DAoC 3, depending on how you see it), if Mythic would have made the original a three faction affair. All the core components of WARhammer are present in GW2 and the game is (in its development stage) received rather favorably by people.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Nadya3

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Tera put development in to getting rid of tab target combat. Which is lot harder ot do than getting rid of linear quest.

No idea why you believe that. Action based combat systems have exsisted longer then Public quest / dynamic events. 

Warhammer had public quests, dynamic events.   and so did Rift.   yet  none of those games seem to be doing the greatest now are they?

Well GW2 supposly take it to a whole new lvl, i mean Tera took action combat to a whole new lvl so i give them the benfit of the doubt. But again all things goes sooner or later you going to see them all. There is only so many ways you can structure these events. Even if there are over 1500 you can probably boil them down to few dozen of different scenario with different mobs and some mix up order of things. but honestly after few invasion you seen all the invasion. But idk how its going to play out once you start playing so we will see.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

questing alone, dont make a MMO fun,  in fact  (Questing  it is usually a means to an end).    if you want to play a mmo for the quest i would suggest you to play Swtor,  great stories, great voice overs. 

i see tons of people phrasing GW2 and worshiping it as if was going to be the Holy Grail of the MMO genre.  im afraid they will be dissapointed

the fun part of Tera is that   the combat system blends in just fine with the fast pace, generic quest style.  

to each their own i guess.   i had  way more fun playing Tera closed beta,  than the entire time i've played the so called AAA western MMOS  .  and believe me i tried almost every single one of them.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Originally posted by Roin

Originally posted by azumax

I will just leave this here.

excellent first post. I could probably take an in game shot of tera from a video phone and it would look like that gw2 post too. Neither of those pictures represent what either game is like when you are actually in game.

You've never played Tera before I'm guessing or have a bad system.  Because speaking from personal experience, Yes Tera does look that good with everything maxed out.

AMD 1100t 6core, radeon hd 6970, 16gigs ddr3 ram, 50000:1 resolution monitor. Played CBT2. Didn't look like that. If that computer isn't good enough for TERA, then I just don't know. Game just looked really bright and blurry. Not sharp at all.

Don't know what to tell ya.  Like Xasapis I run Nvidia 580 setup (SLI @ 2560x1600). If I can put ME3 aside for a little bit. I do believe Tera has another CBT coming up on 9th?  I'll take some screenshots then, if I remember.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

AMD 1100t 6core, radeon hd 6970, 16gigs ddr3 ram, 50000:1 resolution monitor. Played CBT2. Didn't look like that. If that computer isn't good enough for TERA, then I just don't know. Game just looked really bright and blurry. Not sharp at all.

Try forcing AAx8 and setting lighting enrichment down to 1, made everything much sharper for me. Also, TERA really does look like that image imo.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Try forcing AAx8 and setting lighting enrichment down to 1, made everything much sharper for me. Also, TERA really does look like that image imo.

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend =) If it really does look that good, I'll be impressed.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend =) If it really does look that good, I'll be impressed.

I can not guarantee it will work, seriously its a mixed bag of results, people have to play with the settings a lot...

Its weird, some people say it gets sharper with lighting enrichment to 1 and others say it gets blurry, for me it got much sharper, who knows why this is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

So why would someone buy TERA over Guild Wars 2?

My guess is that TERA might appeal to players who are looking for more open world ffa pvp. I don't believe that is something that GW2 offers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

So why would someone buy TERA over Guild Wars 2?

My guess is that TERA might appeal to players who are looking for more open world ffa pvp. I don't believe that is something that GW2 offers.

Also the world without factions, the seamless world and the target-less combat and healing. At least those things can be derived from the CBs so far.

And to put a disclaimer here, none of the things mentioned are "better" or "worse" in either game. They are just different flavors that give each game an individual taste.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

LINEAR QUEST GRIND: TERA = YES   GW2 = NO  

SUBSCRIPTION FEE: TERA = YES   GW2= NO

OPTION BETWEEN TAB TARGET, OR FREE AIM:  TERA = NO    GW2 = YES

DYNAMIC WORLD EVENTS: TERA = NO   GW2 = YES    TERA will indeed have Dynamic world events...   ( Click here )

SCALING CONTENT:  TERA = NO   GW2 = YES   TERA has this in the works, so nothing goes to waste.   ( Click here )

SIDEKICK SYSTEM TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS:  TERA = NO   GW2 = YES

PERSISTENT WVW COMBAT AREA: TERA = NO   GW2 = YES   Is that not the same as the Server vs Server ? (4 - way  for TERA and 3-way for GW2) image

You're right, this game IS fun! I can play too.  

Alot of what people complain about not being in TERA or wish to see, is actually being planned / implemented. With what we see so far with EM, is really awesome "customer service"... A good example of this is the implementation of RP servers, even the linear feel of most quests is being looked at...EM is not dumb, they're fully aware of what complaints and feedback they have recieved.

Case and point, EM wants TERA to be a success and be enjoyed by all types of players world wide. EM is willing to add / subtract what the FANs (majority) of TERA really want to see and impove on. With a strong core (U3 engine) and foundation that TERA has, there are literally limitless possibilities to the progression and future of TERA. 

Made me chuckle  image

TERA and GW2 are two different types of fantasy MMOs.. It's just silly comparing these two like this...still funny tho

TERA will be fun and so will GW2! To each his / her own...

Originally posted by NexGenNSA26

Alot of what people compain about not being in TERA or wish to see is actually being planned / implemented. With what we see so far with EM, is really awesome "customer service"... A good example of this is the implementation of RP servers, even the linear feel of most quests is being looked at...EM is not dumb, they're fully aware of what complaints and feedback they have recieved.

Case and point, EM wants TERA to be a success and be enjoyed by all types of players world wide. EM is willing to add / subtract what the FANs (majority) of TERA really want to see and impove on. With a strong core (U3 engine) and foundation that TERA has, there are literally limitless possibilities to the progression and future of TERA. 

I have to agree there, thats what i feel too if BH want to add things they can coz their core is so good. I litteraly the things the game is missing are add on.

LINEAR QUEST GRIND: TERA = YES   GW2 = NO  

SUBSCRIPTION FEE: TERA = YES   GW2= NO

OPTION BETWEEN TAB TARGET, OR FREE AIM:  TERA = NO    GW2 = YES

DYNAMIC WORLD EVENTS: TERA = NO   GW2 = YES    TERA will indeed have Dynamic world events...   ( Click here )

SCALING CONTENT:  TERA = NO   GW2 = YES   TERA has this in the works, so nothing goes to waste.   ( Click here )

SIDEKICK SYSTEM TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS:  TERA = NO   GW2 = YES

PERSISTENT WVW COMBAT AREA: TERA = NO   GW2 = YES   Is that not the same as the Server vs Server ? (4 - way  for TERA and 3-way for GW2) image

You're right, this game IS fun! I can play too.  

Alot of what people compain about not being in TERA or wish to see is actually being planned / implemented. With what we see so far with EM, is really awesome "customer service"... A good example of this is the implementation of RP servers, even the linear feel of most quests is being looked at...EM is not dumb, they're fully aware of what complaints and feedback they have recieved.

Made me chuckle  image

TERA and GW2 are two different types of fantasy MMOs.. It's just silly comparing these two like this...still funny tho

TERA will be fun and so will GW2! To each his / her own...

Biggest difference being? GW2 actually has this stuff. TERA just wants it. I want a million dollars too, that doesn't mean TERA is going to drop their quest grind leveling system and all of the sudden become dynamic.

That word .... "has" ... is quite a bold statement for an unreleased game. Right now GW2 is press hype, nothing more. Once we, the players get our hands on the game, then we can see how much of this is true and how much was just ... hype.

Same holds true for Tera of course. Promising new features is not the same as implementing them and the game should be judged by what it offers at the time of the subscription.

Originally posted by Xasapis

That word .... "has" ... is quite a bold statement for an unreleased game. Right now GW2 is press hype, nothing more. Once we, the players get our hands on the game, then we can see how much of this is true and how much was just ... hype.

Same holds true for Tera of course. Promising new features is not the same as implementing them and the game should be judged by what it offers at the time of the subscription.

Except that in the press videos, you can see these features IN GW2 already.

After the recent SW:TOR press fiasco, I don't believe in anything but first hand experience. Things can be added and removed prior to launch (especially a launch so far away, it's still unannaounced) and features can work or can be broken by players, where the press is usually handheld by the developers and is not permitted to stray from the design.

Besides, it's more accurate to say that GW2 "will have" those features, than say "has" them. As I said, they may or may not be in the end game. SW:TOR still has no high quality textures and high quality texture screenshots and videos were all you were getting from any press media. Other games were even worse in that regard (AoC comes to mind).

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

After the recent SW:TOR press fiasco, I don't believe in anything but first hand experience. Things can be added and removed prior to launch (especially a launch so far away, it's still unannaounced) and features can work or can be broken by players, where the press is usually handheld by the developers and is not permitted to stray from the design.

Someone understands.

There have been lots of companies that showed lots of features that didn't quite make the patch they were intended for, or never showed up.

TERA's "Nexuses" (rifts) might show up around NA launch, or they might be six months off, or they might never show up. The same is true for GW2--just because you can watch the devs or a press/beta tester do it, doesn't mean it will ship that way.

If game/expansion/major patch launches haven't taught you all that lesson...I guess it's a lesson you're ignoring.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

I can not guarantee it will work, seriously its a mixed bag of results, people have to play with the settings a lot...

Its weird, some people say it gets sharper with lighting enrichment to 1 and others say it gets blurry, for me it got much sharper, who knows why this is.

As I understand, lighting enhancement ninjas-in some bad AA that tends to do more harm than good. Doesn't help with text readability either. Quite a few reports to that effect throughout the last two CB's. But yeah, I can at least vouch that the Tera screenie is definitely in-game material (albeit, at 19x12 or 25x16 resolution, I suspect).

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Biggest difference being? GW2 actually has this stuff. TERA just wants it. I want a million dollars too, that doesn't mean TERA is going to drop their quest grind leveling system and all of the sudden become dynamic.

Well who said entire system was going dynamic? Just adding in dynamic events along with the quests. Also patch notice is already out, patch already dl, just going live tomorrow so i'm pretty sure you can call that have. Server vs Server is said to be in next patch, which probably still come out before GW2 does so ya here a diffrence, a game thats already out and people have played and see progress of it growing and changing. And a game that almost no body have played beside the press.....

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Million of dollars ($ . $) would be nice, but I don't see why that is even remotely related to what I was saying... Maybe you got confused when I stated that, "EM is willing to add / subtract what the FANs (majority) of TERA really want to see and impove on." Meaning.. EM will no doubt continue to add content and update the game as they see fit... I never said, "TERA is going to drop their quest grind leveling system and all of sudden become dynamic." 

Just imagine if they did...

Well who said entire system was going dynamic? Just adding in dynamic events along with the quests. Also patch notice is already out, patch already dl, just going live tomorrow so i'm pretty sure you can call that have. Server vs Server is said to be in next patch, which probably still come out before GW2 does so ya here a diffrence, a game thats already out and people have played and see progress of it growing and changing. And a game that almost no body have played beside the press.....

Sooo..  image 

Million of dollars ($ . $) would be nice, but I don't see why that is even remotely related to what I was saying... Maybe you got confused when I stated that, "EM is willing to add / subtract what the FANs (majority) of TERA really want to see and impove on." Meaning.. EM will no doubt continue to add content and update the game as they see fit... I never said, "TERA is going to drop their quest grind leveling system and all of sudden become dynamic." 

Just imagine if they did...

Sooo..  image 

So like Warhammer Online? How'd that work out for them?

No idea what happen to warhammer online, little history be nice.

They tacked their dynamic events on to a quest grind system. It was an after thought. You can't just tack something like that on in an MMORPG, the world has to be built around it.

Also, it was prophecized to be the actual WoW killer. It might have 1 server left. It tanked hard because of the leveling process  - the same as TERAs. Even though Warhammers pvp was actually quite good.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Man I love how not one person has beta tested GW2 yet but it is amazing because the paid press has said so, I mean they are the same ones that gave SWTOR amazing reviews. Posting without experience about a game is priceless, at least those of us that are actually going to play this game have been in beta and played the game how many gw2 people can say that, just saying..................................

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Man I love how not one person has beta tested GW2 yet but it is amazing because the paid press has said so, I mean they are the same ones that gave SWTOR amazing reviews. Posting without experience about a game is priceless, at least those of us that are actually going to play this game have been in beta and played the game how many gw2 people can say that, just saying..................................

Yea I played TERA's Beta too. The only good part about the game, however, is the stuff we cannot play in Beta.

So far in the Beta I've killed 10 rats, moved to the next quest giver, and brought him 10 rat tails. Maybe next Beta, I'll be able to kill 10 more rats. Dragon's Nest combat system can only take TERA so far.

They tacked their dynamic events on to a quest grind system. It was an after thought. You can't just tack something like that on in an MMORPG, the world has to be built around it.

Also, it was prophecized to be the actual WoW killer. It might have 1 server left. It tanked hard because of the leveling process  - the same as TERAs. Even though Warhammers pvp was actually quite good.

idk how warhammer did it exactly but for Tera its like 1 event, like GM events in some of those F2P games. Its added on but doesn't really colliod with anything else. I think you mainly go for points to trade in for items rather than grinding. I need to look up on warhammer first. Also when everyone some one say warhammer i keep thinking 40k than i release there is a fantasy version XD