Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Number of active accounts-More than one required?

veego590veego590 Member Posts: 39

I've played EVE in the past for about 3 or 4 months. I genuinely enjoyed the game, but took a break. I'm coming back, but I've always wondered why so many people have so many accounts. I've heard of people having up to 20 accounts. Thats 20 active subscriptions. I get that with the more accounts you have, you can simultaniously train skills and therefore save time. However, it seems like almost everyone in EVE at least has 2 or 3 accounts, while I only have one. I'm just wondering as a casual/weekend warrior gamer, can I still have fun and compete in this game if I simply play with one account?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

20 seems a bit OTT, tbh, i can see the point of having 2 maybe,  cyno alt/hauler kind of thing, but probably only as a 'part time' kind of thing, i do know that quite a number of people do have multiple accounts, but mostly they only pay for a single account, with additional ones being paid for through in game plex's. i think personally that your better off with just one account, especially if you intend to pvp at all, hard enough concentrating on one game at a time without the distraction of trying to run several.image

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I have two and don't pay any money IRL for them. It's easier once you get going and stay active.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Ive never heard of anyone having 20 accounts before but most people in my corp and 2 or 3 accounts. The reason for having multiple accounts can vary. But most likely one account is primarily combat account. The second account is your minning/money making account. The third account is your crafting account.

Dont worry though, I have only one account and I make it by just fine! My account is strictly combat. When I need money I just do high lvl mission and make enough to buy a new battle cruiser when I get mine blown up. If you just focus on combat train your skill that best fit your race and starting off train your frigate skills and join a corp that does pvp. 

Ive been playing for about 5 months now and absolutely love them game. I joined a corp and have been doing some intense pvp and its just mind blowing. Im not a hardcore guy like most but i play mostly on weekends. I love that I can train all my skills throughout the week and play on the weekends! If you have a smart phone look up the eve app. You can link your account to it and keep track of your trainning que and all kinds of stuff. It is useful to know when you need to update your skill que!

If you train your skills right you can be piloting a battle ship with pretty damn good skill sets and weapons to be able to last a long time in low sec space wihtout getting blown up and make some good money too! It takes about 4-6 months to get to that lvl but is def worth the time! It is so fun once you get into the pvp aspect of the game!

GL on your travels through space!

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

The average of accounts per player is 1.4

You don't need several accounts, it'd be enough to co-operate with other players. If you're a solo tipe of players, 2 accounts would be convenient.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Not everyone uses 2 accounts. According to the last numbers i've seen, 80% of all subscriptions are one player per account, with the remaining 20% of subscriptions having more accounts per player. Some people do have 40 accounts or so but those are lunatics or botters ;p

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• zunstreezunstree Member UncommonPosts: 129

Second account can be useful, but you can operate just fine with a single one. i think alot of the people with two accounts use them a good portion of the time to assist with mining or hauling, though some people might be able to handle multi-tasking enough to maintain them for pirating or something similar.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

It's not required if you have only one main interest, lots of patience, and very little time to play the game.

Otherwise you'll be paying with plex for any extra accounts (and probably your main) so you'll be playing for free.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

I've been playing on and off since 2009, and never felt the need of geting another account. I find more fun to play with other people and cooperate to achieve your goals than running multiple accounts and do it by your own.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I always have two when I play.  One is pure pvp specced combat and some capital ships, and the other is almost pure mission/exploration/ratting.  But each account also has alts of varying skills.  In a pinch I can do both on one, just more effiecient to use the characters for what they were made for.  Once you can make decent isk, they are free, except for the time you put into making that isk.  I also have a third account that is a jump freighter account, not always active.  It's just nice to have these things, I am not necessarily a solo player though. 

I didn't open a second account unitl almost a year after I started.  It's not necessary, just opens up more options and allows you to specialize a character more. 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

I use 2. One mines and the other hauls the ore back - I can keep the hulk out there longer and any jetcans are only around for a minute or 2.

Currently bored with MMO's.

I do believe there are some who have a "spy" account so that they can join a corp and give info to pirates and such. Have seen it done, but don't know how common it is.

oh, in answer to the question - nope not required. I just got tired of risking jetcans to looters or mining  till my hold was full then docking/dumping and returning.  Just my preference and My haluer has an alt on the account that I can rat with if I want some combat.

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

I have 3 accounts

1 - for industry mining manufacturing research and the like

2 - PvP

3 - Trading and transporting

And no you can still have a great time on one account only but making isk is easier with multiple accounts

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I've always found it funny that despite not being able to train multiple characters on the same account at once, thereby forcing people to run multiple accounts, nobody has (rightfully) accused CCP of being greedy. Yet if it were say, EA who pulled something like this, there would be no end to the whining, complaining, etc. about 'how greedy these bastards are'. I guess CCP has successfully played the 'We're a poor little indie company!' card. Just a thought. And yes, I'm aware that many multiple account holders pay for their secondary/tertiary accounts with PLEX they bought with in-game money. The point still stands though, as PLEX certainly hasn't been around forever.

Anyway on topic, you don't need multiple accounts to succeed in EVE, it just makes certain activities easier, especially mining. Having the most trustworthy hauler in the galaxy (yourself) on hand to safely deposit your ore must be pretty damned nice. I've lost many a jetcan to a dirty ore thief. Most of them got blown into space dust afterward, but it's stil a huge inconvenience, especially when they're smart enough to run away.

Dammit, now I want to play EVE again...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I had two accounts.  The main account was my pirate, the second was my scout / hauler.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Yes you can. Having two accounts can make things nicer but it depends on what type of player you are. If you play allot, like say more than 20 hours a month you can esily pay with plex and never pay antying. Some people use that as an ok to get the other account. 

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

This is the main reason why I don't play anymore, I wanted PVP that requried skill but you just get multiple people with multiple accounts that will gank you and it isn't fun. The comabt system in EVE makes it possible to do this because it is very easy to controll multiple ships, the more ships = who wins unless they really suck. So now you need more than one account to be competitive and I just don't have the money for that, I wish they IP limited it to one on at a time. CCP knows that if they did that their subscription count would half because 50% of the subscriptions are ALT accounts.

It neevr used to be like this back in 2003 and 2004, you used to be able to solo PVP and it was so much fun. Now the game is a shell of it's former self where it just promotes zerging and is basically Capital Ships online which are no fun to pilot. 

The space game is a mess but CCP have been focusing too much on other things no one wants to care.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by tixylix

This is the main reason why I don't play anymore, I wanted PVP that requried skill but you just get multiple people with multiple accounts that will gank you and it isn't fun. The comabt system in EVE makes it possible to do this because it is very easy to controll multiple ships, the more ships = who wins unless they really suck. So now you need more than one account to be competitive and I just don't have the money for that, I wish they IP limited it to one on at a time. CCP knows that if they did that their subscription count would half because 50% of the subscriptions are ALT accounts.

It neevr used to be like this back in 2003 and 2004, you used to be able to solo PVP and it was so much fun. Now the game is a shell of it's former self where it just promotes zerging and is basically Capital Ships online which are no fun to pilot. 

The space game is a mess but CCP have been focusing too much on other things no one wants to care.

Most alt's are not direct combat alts. The ones that are, are scouts. You should join RvB. Red versues Blue. They created these corps just for the reasons you mention. They pvp day and night against each other in High sec and don't involve themselfs with the null sec corp drama. They have rules that try and keep the pvp as balanced as possible. 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

Most alt's are not direct combat alts. The ones that are, are scouts. You should join RvB. Red versues Blue. They created these corps just for the reasons you mention. They pvp day and night against each other in High sec and don't involve themselfs with the null sec corp drama. They have rules that try and keep the pvp as balanced as possible. 

In my experience this is true.  I knew a lot of people who had multiple accounts but only a very small handful dedicated them all to combat.  Multiple account benefit you most when you use them to diversify yourself.  You can't even count a scout as a combat character since most people use a covops so they can probe too.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Multiple people with multiple accounts isn't the main problem...given how intense a PvP fight can be, it would take someone almost superhuman to direct more than one ship in an EFFECTIVE manner during one, not to mention a very fast internet connection, despite what tixylix mentioned above. If multiple players come at you and you're alone, you're freaking boned even if they are all directing only one ship.

In terms of when you would ideally need multiple accounts, it really depends on your playstyle. If your available online time is rather limited (like mine) you would be hard-pressed to make enough money in-game to afford a second account with PLEX, and there wouldn't be much of a benefit to doing so. In this instance, having one single account works just fine. Make that one character a badass that can handle a lot of different situations and you'll be a valuable asset to your corp-mates.

If you have a LOT of time to play, i.e. are single with no kids, you could rather easily make enough in-game to afford a second account with PLEX, so you have various options there. The following are some of the more common reasons why some people get a second account that I know of, and some reasons why I myself, with a single account, don't need to do them:

-If you are a lowsec-dwelling Pirate, loving to gank players whenever you can and therefore your security status is absolute crap, if you set one foot into Hisec you'll be shot on sight by the NPC police and if you set one foot in corp-controlled Nullsec you'll be shot on sight by the members of that corp, since they know you love to gank players whenever you can. You're mainly stuck in Lowsec, and doing ANYTHING solo there is extremely dangerous. For those times when your corp-mates aren't online, there isn't much you can do; you don't have access to the decent income from safely soloing level 4 missions in Hisec, nor do you have belt rats at the level of quality that is found in Nullsec, so income can be a real problem. A Hisec alternate account can be a vital source of income to keep your pirate account going. I'm not a pirate, so I don't need to do this myself.

-If you are a miner, having to go back and forth from a belt to a base to drop off ore when your cargo hold gets full can really cut into your profit rate, especially before you get to the Exhumers. Having an alternate account to act as a hauler for you can keep your mining ship at the belt firing its lasers constantly, and increase your profit rate. For me, I found that I didn't mind the going back-and-forth too much since the Hulk has a pretty good cargo capacity, and even then those few times I do go mining these days is with corp-mates, and we make sure at least one of them is a hauler.

-If you are heavily into PvP in hisec through corp wars, information on your enemy is vital. Once a corp-to-corp war starts, there are various ways to find out every single member of the corp that you are at war with, track when they are online and even where they are, and the like (I know this because for a recent PvP corp I was in I was the main one doing this research). If you try to spy with one of your current corp members, the enemy will see that character the instant they come online, and the instant they arrive in a system to try and see what ships they are in. Having at least one alternate account which is completely neutral in the affair, and therefore hopefully they have no knowledge of, you can use that neutral character to do the spying and if you're not too obvious about it, the enemy will just think he/she is another player going through the system, possibly curious about the large collection of ships waiting on a gate, etc. For me, the corp I'm in has pretty good connections with others that are not allied with us in any way and therefore would not show up in a war notification, so they can do the spying for us.

Hope that helps.

Where's the any key?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Greenzor
    The average of accounts per player is 1.4

Source...?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Having a 2nd account can help out in a whole lot of ways.  But it is really a matter of what you want to do :)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    I've always found it funny that despite not being able to train multiple characters on the same account at once, thereby forcing people to run multiple accounts, nobody has (rightfully) accused CCP of being greedy.

In what game you can play all your characters at the same time?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Rednecksith

I've always found it funny that despite not being able to train multiple characters on the same account at once, thereby forcing people to run multiple accounts, nobody has (rightfully) accused CCP of being greedy.

In what game you can play all your characters at the same time?

Yeah what game can you play two at once unless you are using multiple accounts?

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

I recently had an argument with someone about attributes that related to this. See, to me the whole attribute system creates an artificial barrier which pigeonholes what you train if you want to get a decent amount of SP/HR. Its possible to max out skills on say one type of combat ship AND say get high trading or PI skills within your first year IF you were training both at close to the maximum possible SP/HR. However, because of the attribute system such a skill plan would require at one point having all five attributes pumped which is impossible with even the 2 remaps you start with. Now if you have an older character, or two accounts (which I have both of) the attribute system doesn't really affect you that much. However, if you are starting out and only want one account, this hamstrings you pretty badly in that first year or even two. Interestingly enough, when I made this argument, his response was to first insult me and then comment something like "Thats why I pay for 3 accounts" and basically the attitude anyone that wouldn't/couldn't do the same could go f**k themselves. Also, something about removing depth from them game. Personally I don't think the attribute system is engaging, I mean its just setting a plan in EVEMON and hitting optimal attribute map. I think the skill system in PO is much more sensible and the result of basically devs with fresh eyes copying and pasting the EVE system, looking at it, thinking "wtf is this crap" and fixing it, but thats just me.