Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Details Revealed about SWTOR Update 1.2 - Legacy

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I don't see Sith Pureblood Smugglers / Commandoes (unless it is exclusive to Jedi) being a decent role haha. Looks like I'll be able to play a Chiss on Republic side as well, who cares about story anyways? I can be a green Sith as well! Yoohoo!

Originally posted by Bama1267

"features like a mailbox and Galactic Trade Network access aboard your ship." Nice, once they impliment LFG finder, you can sit in your ship and have no other interaction with players in this MMO.

hahaha

Originally posted by Mechanism

New abilities? Does anyone actually have any room left on their bars or unused keybindings for for more abilities?

No, they need to add the option to have more bars.

Originally posted by Coolit

1.2 looks pretty good but most of the things showcased in the video should have been in at launch. The UI and basic perks through legacy definitely should have been.

And that is about it.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Elikal

Hm. Ok now it's early April. Wasn't it targetted March? Didn't they say they have all their people still employed and much prepared? How comes THIS took 4 months? And where is my Same Gender Romance Arcs they promised to add "very soon"?

Same gender Romance Arcs is like expansion material or later, probably much much later at this rate.

I am betting it is far below Paazak and other mini-games and social features, on the list. And to examine this list further, the thought of having Paazak being placed into the game down the road has been processed and has been stated as something that will make a "big splash" - when they eventually get around to it.

My sub is up the end of this month, looks like I'll be missing out on this poorly timed patch.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by eluldor

Originally posted by Elikal

Hm. Ok now it's early April. Wasn't it targetted March? Didn't they say they have all their people still employed and much prepared? How comes THIS took 4 months? And where is my Same Gender Romance Arcs they promised to add "very soon"?

Same gender Romance Arcs is like expansion material or later, probably much much later at this rate.

I am betting it is far below Paazak and other mini-games and social features, on the list. And to examine this list further, the thought of having Paazak being placed into the game down the road has been processed and has been stated as something that will make a "big splash" - when they eventually get around to it.

My sub is up the end of this month, looks like I'll be missing out on this poorly timed patch.

Given how boring romances and how simplistic companion backstories are, I don't really care anymore. But I know a lot of my guildmates do.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by eluldor

Same gender Romance Arcs is like expansion material

Sniggers
  • MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I thought Andronikos was already full-on gay.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Lol who comes up with these names.  Lost Island...Explosive Content....really?  Explosive Conent is the name of the new raid?  Eh not impressed, then again unless the core of the game was changed I probably wouldn't care.  This game is just so underwhelming.  All that money and time, and the game is just so lifeless. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Worstluck
    Lol who comes up with these names.  Lost Island...Explosive Content....really?  Explosive Conent is the name of the new raid?  Eh not impressed, then again unless the core of the game was changed I probably wouldn't care.  This game is just so underwhelming.  All that money and time, and the game is just so lifeless. 

Its called Explosive Conflict, calm yourself.

Anyway, its nice to see them adding new features. All of them are improvements imo. I dont get why people are mad they are adding so much stuff? Too little to late? Thats pretty funny. Too many ADD kids floundering around in a genre where games evolve and stick around for years.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by someforumguy

In what update are they going to improve the User Interface ? The current inflexible oversized UI is a gamebreaker for me.

After watching the video I see that the UI becomes customisable too. Apparently this is not major enough to mention in the article :/

• GreyedGreyed Member UncommonPosts: 137

Exactly.  What, we have a bunch of MMO neophytes around here.  "Oh noes, it took them a whole 4 months to add this feature when I wanted it 4 months ago!"

And?

There are MMOs out there with less features that have been out for 10 years.  Just because your pet feature isn't there this very instant doesn't make the game a failure.  Compare any MMO at launch to 6 months, 12 months, 2 years later and you'll see that none of them, NONE OF THEM, had everything from day 1.

If you're not in to play for several months to several years at a time, you're in the wrong gaming genre.  Go back to the console where the business model is "Pay $60 for 20 hours of gameplay and never insert the disc again."

Not just another pretty color.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Greyed

Exactly.  What, we have a bunch of MMO neophytes around here.  "Oh noes, it took them a whole 4 months to add this feature when I wanted it 4 months ago!"

And?

There are MMOs out there with less features that have been out for 10 years.  Just because your pet feature isn't there this very instant doesn't make the game a failure.  Compare any MMO at launch to 6 months, 12 months, 2 years later and you'll see that none of them, NONE OF THEM, had everything from day 1.

If you're not in to play for several months to several years at a time, you're in the wrong gaming genre.  Go back to the console where the business model is "Pay $60 for 20 hours of gameplay and never insert the disc again."

And if SWTOR was released 10 years ago, it would have been acceptable.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

And?

"

So according to your logic, companies should launch products with ten year old feature sets and expect customers to suck it up.

So much for the advancemement of the human race.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I think 1.2 is becoming a great patch. But I also think that some of these features (customisable UI for example) shouldve been in the game at release. They are part of the core of what is expected from a new MMO. I still miss a few things that shouldve been in from the beginning. Like better control over your companions, after all they are a major feature according to Bioware. Atm it is even less then basic.

But this just goes to show that EA is the winner here. They already have been collecting a few months of subs while the game is becoming nearly ready for release after patch 1.2 :p  They must be happy with all the apologists out there.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

And?

"

So according to your logic, companies should launch products with ten year old feature sets and expect customers to suck it up.

The reasoning behind the fanbois is just amazing

But you have to fight back with facts so lets go for Prime Time server facts

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

as of 10:34 PM we have 2 V Hvy, 9 hvy, and 14 light so 3 more light servers then V hvy and hvy combined, yup game is growing by leaps and bounds

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

And?

"

wtf is a feature set? just some random list of features that must be in at launch in order to meet your standards? spoiler alert: your favorite mmo coming out this year will not have as much content as WoW. Guess that makes them all autofail.

AoC is around 4 years old and they are completely ramaking their crafting system. Whether its 4 months or 4 years, when a game gets improved, its always a good thing.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I'll admit that I view this game in a negative light already, but there is something about the Legacy system that  seems off.  I do not quite know how to articulate this, but I think they have spent way too much time, money, and hype on a feature that appears untested and perhaps even short sided.  I think it raises some questions. 

What exactly does this feature add for those who do not want to roll alts?

If this entire system is dependent upon alts, where does that leave the player's main character, especially in regards to the ability mixing? 

How is the feature to take abilities from other classes going to be balanced and what type of disadvantage will this potentially create? 

Just seems like a lot of time and money spent on a feature that is limited yet also a potential thorn to manage. That is not to say no one will like this feature, but it just seems that there is so much else to focus on and fix at the moment.  I can see Bioware trying to carve out a unique feature for TOR  to call its own in the Legacy System, but may be more flawed than they think. 

Originally posted by Nixl
    I'll admit that I view this game in a negative light already, but there is something about the Legacy system that  seems off.  I do not quite know how to articulate this, but I think they have spent way too much time, money, and hype on a feature that appears untested and perhaps even short sided.  I think it raises some questions. 
    What exactly does this feature add for those who do not want to roll alts?

If this entire system is dependent upon alts, where does that leave the player's main character, especially in regards to the ability mixing? 

How is the feature to take abilities from other classes going to be balanced and what type of disadvantage will this potentially create? 

Just seems like a lot of time and money spent on a feature that is limited yet also a potential thorn to manage. That is not to say no one will like this feature, but it just seems that there is so much else to focus on and fix at the moment.  I can see Bioware trying to carve out a unique feature for TOR  to call its own in the Legacy System, but may be more flawed than they think. 

You gain legacy xp from doing quests and killing mobs. Maybe you get a bonus by doing it with alts, but it is not a requirement. I have 1 character I play and no alts. My legacy xp increases constantly.

Thank you for telling me that, but unless you create alts how does the Legacy system add anything to your gameplay for your main character?  You gain Legacy XP, but all that XP seems to do is unlock races and abilities mixes (Force choke on a Bounty Hunter, etc) on new characters.  

I will admit that I do not know everything about this feature, but it just appears so alt centric. 

Thank you for telling me that, but unless you create alts how does the Legacy system add anything to your gameplay?  You gain Legacy XP, but all that XP seems to do is unlock races and abilities mixes (Force choke on a Bounty Hunter, etc) for new characters.  

II will admit that I do not know everything about this feare, but it just appears so alt centric. 

You get titles, abilities, emotes, looked like some sort of training dummy on your ship, new customizations for your character's looks, gear, and possibly pets.

Its enough to keep me interested playing with just 1 character. The family tree stuff is a bonus for people who roll alts.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Thank you for telling me that, but unless you create alts how does the Legacy system add anything to your gameplay for your main character?  You gain Legacy XP, but all that XP seems to do is unlock races and abilities mixes (Force choke on a Bounty Hunter, etc) on new characters.  

I will admit that I do not know everything about this feature, but it just appears so alt centric. 

It's meant to be alt centric, and I don't blame Bioware at all for it considering the vast amount of voice acting and work put into the individual storylines of each class. If one chooses not to alt, it will not hamper competative gameplay at all. Its one of those things that i'd rather have in the game than not, similarily to space combat.

Make it so...

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Thank you for telling me that, but unless you create alts how does the Legacy system add anything to your gameplay?  You gain Legacy XP, but all that XP seems to do is unlock races and abilities mixes (Force choke on a Bounty Hunter, etc) for new characters.  

II will admit that I do not know everything about this feare, but it just appears so alt centric. 

You get titles, abilities, emotes, looked like some sort of training dummy on your ship, new customizations for your character's looks, gear, and possibly pets.

Its enough to keep me interested playing with just 1 character. The family tree stuff is a bonus for people who roll alts.

I will not deny that some shall enjoy the Legacy System, but I just feel like they have put too much time and effort into this one feature if that makes sense.  I know that statement is utterly subjective if not dependent on speculation, but I honestly believe Bioware wants  this feature to give TOR something unique compared to the competition. Yet, I think it is far too limited in scope to be as significant as they had hoped.  

Maybe I am wrong and Bioware is not using the Legacy System as a platform for TOR having features of its own, but I just think there is much else they could have done.   

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

It's meant to be alt centric, and I don't blame Bioware at all for it considering the vast amount of voice acting and work put into the individual storylines of each class. If one chooses not to alt, it will not hamper competative gameplay at all. Its one of those things that i'd rather have in the game than not, similarily to space combat.

While I see what you are saying, I still think this feature is potentuially too limited in scope to be as big as they had hoped.  From my perspective, Bioware wants the Legacy system to be a feature at the core of TOR that everyone will use. However, they tied such an important feature mostly to alts (with exceptions) and not everony wants to make a plethora of alts.  I guess my expectation is that features, especially those that create gameplay changes such as ability mixing be open for every player. That is purely opinion, but I just feel the feature is weaker rather than stronger because of this.

Also, I do think that in some PVP and maybe even PVE that certain combinations of class/borrowed abilities could give a signficanct advantage.  Again, it remains to be seen what abilities one can take, but I believe that Bioware is walking an almost impossible line to follow between overly strong class/borrowed abilites combinations or a insignificant feature players ignore due to only being able to import crappy abilities.  Either way I think Bioware loses if that makes sense. 

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Originally posted by Bama1267

"features like a mailbox and Galactic Trade Network access aboard your ship." Nice, once they impliment LFG finder, you can sit in your ship and have no other interaction with players in this MMO.

I see where you're going with this!   =)

I agree with you, to a point...

LFG SHOULD be added to the game.  I should be able to find other players to group with while i'm out questing, grinding, or even doing PvP!  I should not be forced to sit in a "hub" style place and spam general chat looking for that last member or two who fits the class or role we are looking for.

However, adding a Trade Network and Mailbox on your ship is just dumb.  Yeah it saves time, but it removes the need to ever visit the main areas!

If anything the legacy system should allow you to skip that stupid port zone area between your ship and the planet... No reason I should have to load OUT of my ship, then load to the planet, while having to run from airlock to airlock!

I really think this game should have released a random planet generation system...  "Daily" quests should be to explore randomly generated planets areas (Think, diablo 2 dungeon generator).  Sure, they would be the same "Go kill 10 of this, collect 15 of that, defend X for 10 minutes..." but at least it would be somewhat different each time!  One day you kill 10 ant things, and the next day you kill 10 droids... 

Same thing with the f*cking space missions.  If not random, at least put a few different possible "rails" in each mission so you don't memorize exactly what to do on each mission after the first or second attempt!

If diablo 2 (made forever ago) can have random dungeons, why can't a modern MMO have random planet/dungeon like things for daily quests?  Obv. the main story and other primary quest/planet/hubs/towns wouldn't be random but "instanced" group content can very easily be randomized and they've already got everything they need in place for it!

I will not deny that some shall enjoy the Legacy System, but I just feel like they have put too much time and effort into this one feature if that makes sense.  I know that statement is utterly subjective if not dependent on speculation, but I honestly believe Bioware wants  this feature to give TOR something unique compared to the competition. Yet, I think it is far too limited in scope to be as significant as they had hoped.  

Maybe I am wrong and Bioware is not using the Legacy System as a platform for TOR having features of its own, but I just think there is much else they could have done.   

They are making a robust system for rewarding people who make alts. It makes sense considering they made 8 classes with their own storyline fully voiced from 1-50. It encourages people to spend time on a part of the game they did really well. Cant fault them for that.

I am more interested in the 4 pages of crew skill changes they claim to have for 1.2

And I'm patiently waiting for the big space patch that is supposedly in the works.

But for now, this patch will implement a lot of much needed features like the UI customization and guild banks. As well as better textures, gear color matching, etc.

And you can't just sluff off a new warzone, flashpoint, and operation. That is a lot of content by itself.

All the stuff they are adding next month is pretty impressive. If they do something like this every 4 months, it will be tough to leave. Time will tell.

They are making a robust system for rewarding people who make alts. It makes sense considering they made 8 classes with their own storyline fully voiced from 1-50. It encourages people to spend time on a part of the game they did really well. Cant fault them for that.

I am more interested in the 4 pages of crew skill changes they claim to have for 1.2

And I'm patiently waiting for the big space patch that is supposedly in the works.

But for now, this patch will implement a lot of much needed features like the UI customization and guild banks. As well as better textures, gear color matching, etc.

And you can't just sluff off a new warzone, flashpoint, and operation. That is a lot of content by itself.

All the stuff they are adding next month is pretty impressive. If they do something like this every 4 months, it will be tough to leave. Time will tell.

You are right that I cannot fault them for adding new content, but I still have this impression that they have spent a large amount of time and resources on a feature that will not be universal. Again, I may be 100% wrong and it only took a handful of devs to make.  

If I had summarize my underlying thoughts it would be why spend so much time on a key feature that is not truly universal? For instance, let's take a feature like dungeon finder. It was a big feature that affected gamplay (for better or worse) and was universal, yet not entirely forced.  Now look at the Legacy System, the only way to utilize the larger aspects of the feature is to make alts. Furthermore, depending on how they handle the ability mixing it could potentially disadvantage those who do not have the time or the patience to create a legion of alts.   If Bioware wanted people to roll different classes and try news stories I think there are better methods. 

For some this may be just perfect, but I simply do not think this concept working as well on a larger scale.  That is where I think the Legacy system has issues. 

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

As long as rolling an alt means having to do 90% of the same crap you did the first time, rolling an alt isn't worth it even with the "legacy".

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

im not being all pro wow here but wow does reward a person who recruits a friend to play then subscribe to wow, what does SWTOR offer?????  And is there any update to the performace for the game?