Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland: First Look Preview

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

check they publish loong (loong3d in asia)and as you can see the version of gamiga and the version in asia are far appart.would be like us playing cataclysm and china playing burning cruisade.maybe it will be different this time and we ll get latest not the 2 year old content!

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The only setting that lends itself to an MMO more naturally then Otherland is probably .hack. And i loved the Otherland books. The Osten Ard ones, too, but Otherland was something different for it's unique mix.

I only fear for it being unplayable on most computers. Unreal Engine 3 is not exactly high-perfomance, and with all that glitter and reflections and thousands of light sources that can take literally any form, so the shadows will be complex, too..well, maybe Epic managed to do something about it since i last played a Unreal Engine 3 game. But with Unreal Engine 4 on the horizon, i doubt they will do major changes. And Real U (dtp) is not exactly well known, so no idea if they have people that can work wonders.

Also, Q3? Like others i doubt that. If they are really gonna make it, and it's not total crap, their biggest success would not be the game, even if it would make more money then WoW, it would be being able to develop 5-10 years without any leak. Some intelligence services would surely interested in being able to keep a secret like that secret.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Sounds intriguing.  I'm down for giving it a shot once it is released.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Game looks good.

But it's made by Gamigo, so will most likely be dissapoiting and not interesting at all.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Any word on cyber hookers yet?

Seriously, it does look like it has potential.  Going to keep it on the radar.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Action combat??? I cant see it. They dont move, at all :D

• CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

Tad Williams is closely involved in this endeavor. Real U did a huge media event in 2008 when they first started development. I was there for PC.IGN and MMORPG.com was there, as was Ten Ton Hammer and a slew of other publications. Danged if I can find the article here on MMORPG.com though!

http://www.tadwilliams.com/forum/

Tad runs his own website and posts on his forums - and is still super excited about the MMO.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by mazut

Action combat??? I cant see it. They dont move, at all :D

yeah.  hopefully thats just bad player recording & trailer making.  same thing with the recent Grimlands trailer.  almost all "action" scenes involved a gunman just standing still and firing at things......could have come from any old dice rolling game.  even some of TSW's videos do that.

they claim they have a console action game background, and thats the type of combat they are going for, rather than the normal MMO combat.   we shall see.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Looks interesting.  Gamigo involvement makes things more questionable for me.  I've still yet to play a F2P title that launched as such and really gave me much enjoyment or longevity.  I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea though.  Here's hoping one's coming.

Steam: Neph

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Looking forward to this, high hopes! Something interesting and new! Hope they pull it off! Supposed to be out this very year!

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Looks amazing... but it looks like it might also be heavily instanced. We shall see... it has potential.. which as we all know is meaningless!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I've read the Otherland novels several years ago and really enjoyed them. It's a good setting for an MMORPG. They can basically create there anything and have it still fit into the setting. I've been curious about the game since I heard about it a year or so ago.

Will it be great? I'm not sure. The setting is good, but the fighting looks a bit generic. The "create anything" sounds good again. All in all though, all developers exaggerate about their games in development to the extreme. So we just have to wait.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• D_I_BD_I_B Member Posts: 43

Damn that is some fusion cooking out there, add sharks riding ponies and shooting lazers out of their mouth...

I hate the design mashup, pirates vs ninjas? I'll stick to League of Legends if i want that!

I want an immersive world either fantasy/realistic/sci-fi but with setting that would rule my mind! This cocktail of styles is absolutely anti-immersive :/

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

could be interesting but frankly if this thing is mature rated like second life i won't play i don't need to hang out with pedophiles

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

That video was edited amazingly well.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Requiem6

Game looks good.

But it's made by Gamigo, so will most likely be dissapoiting and not interesting at all.

Not made by but published by Gamigo and made/developed by Unreal U http://www.realu.com.sg/

Really really looked intresting and certainly something to keep my eye on. For the rest only time will tell.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

The books ware great and just the world in which this tetralogy is set is so immersive and interesting. I really hope that  Gamigo and Real U will succeed in repeating the same feeling in this upcoming mmo. 

• SaiGodJinSaiGodJin Member Posts: 22

if there will be free to play many wont plpay it :/

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

Mind blown,

Can't wait for this.

Haters gonna hate.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Not sure if it is something I want to play or not but I really liked that music in the trailer from about 1m on   :)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i'd have picked the shadowplay books for my tad williams books of choice to make into a game, either way i'm happy to see it.  he's a good author (in my top 4 or 5 fantasists) i do wish it were turbine or even NC or someone other than gamigo.

to me the made-for-f2p games all really still feel third-rate, i think the books deserve more.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by itchmon
    i'd have picked the shadowplay books for my tad williams books of choice to make into a game, either way i'm happy to see it.  he's a good author (in my top 4 or 5 fantasists) i do wish it were turbine or even NC or someone other than gamigo. to me the made-for-f2p games all really still feel third-rate, i think the books deserve more.

To me, that last is the real issue. I've never played a made-to-be free-to-play game that was any good at all.

However, being that it was announced in 2008, and it will be released in the third quarter of this year, it will have been in development for around four years. That's not as long as some AAA games, but it isn't like they threw it together in a drunk weekend like some free-to-play games look like they were.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

without sub!! yay, another item mall based game

but i agree, i love the art so much, it's such colorful and alive

for now, i love the art the most

i have to wait for a bit to see how the actual gameplay is like

but this one is definitely on my radar after GW2

So What Now?

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by pressedNutz

Mind blown,

Can't wait for this.

Haters gonna hate.

And how exactly did your mind get blown?

What exactly in this video made you go "Oh holy crap, what an amazing game!"?

I'm genuinely asking if game trailers that detail only visual effects & graphics completely sell you on a product before actually learning anything about the game, mechanics, style of advancement, exploration, crafting, or how PVE & if any PVP is handled?

There was nothing in this video that was impressive aside from their art-style. They detailed NOTHING other than their Art-Style. I'm wondering if all it takes is a pretty "First Reveal" trailer to get people to buy a product nowadays? It may explain the current state of the MMO market.

:(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• o2jplo2jpl Member Posts: 32

felt like i should have been rolling on extasy during that video

game looks like common mmo [Mod Edit]