Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum, it has robots.

Dogmadude360Dogmadude360 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Perpetuum is an Eve-Style game, It's something some people have probably heard of in passing. Their advertisement campaign is pretty low budget, if even really existing at all. Playing the game currently and seeing from when it started the improvements that have been made,  it just lacks players. There are even more Islands and more space to come rather soon, so now seems like an opportune time to try to actually promote this game and scare up a few new players.

A short run down of the game is of course that it is similar to Eve in many ways.

The skill system is time based, but unlike eve you do not need to put training skills in a qeueu, you are assigned a skill point for every minute your account is active whether you are online or offline. Skill points are assigned to skills, a small array of skills are available at first but only because higher ranking one's have specific requirements.

There are three types of combatant robots/mech known as the Thelodica (Long Range Lasers, increased resistance) , Nuimqol (Fast, heavy damage Electromagnetic Railguns), and the Pelistal (Faster energy recharge with lengthy ranged missiles).  There are also industrial robots ranging from Miners, to Harvesters (Plants), and haulers, all of which have multiple uses better explained in the actual game.

Once again, combat is much like Eve, relying on targeting systems, cycle timers and mathematics.

If you would like to know more, here are links to Perpetuum's website, about the game, robopedia, and forums.

Comments

• SiamhSiamh Member Posts: 2

Y'know what, I'm gonna try it... I wasn't aware they had a 14-day trial now. I had actually subscribed at some point last fall in 2011, but my computers CPU/Processor was quite lacking. I'm downloading the trial now. I would subscribe possibly again but I'm broke now haha, I just spent my last $20 on a star-wars: the old republic sub. and realized that the game is going downhill and is dying only after I renewed my subscription.

So now since I'm without any MMO now, since I quit RIFT and SWTOR out of boredom and lackluster endgame content, I will try Perpetuum, I hear it's quite like EVE and that the progression is not as fast or simple as other MMO's, that sounds interesting to say the least. Thanks for bringing this game to my attention once again .

• SiamhSiamh Member Posts: 2

[mod edit]

On Topic; how bad can perpetuum be compared to any abysmal mmo your probably playing... 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

its actually fairly polished, just needs more people :(

• Dogmadude360Dogmadude360 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Ya, it definitely does need more people, but it's still good as is.  Also, to Siamh, i'm glad you'll be trying the game again, see you around in there.

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146

I played right when Perpetuum was released. It was alright, lots of people were looking for an Eve alternative there.. but then it just got kinda boring, everyone I met was leaving the game, it was 10 bucks a month, so I ended up leaving too. :

• xenonick30xenonick30 Member UncommonPosts: 14

I recently tried it again. The gameplay is pretty promising, but technical difficulties ruin it for me. Sorry to use these words, but the game looks like shit and runs like crap. How bad can an engine be?

I bet this is driving a lot of players away from the game, which otherwise could be rather succesful IMO.

My rig is not super hardcore, but pretty good. i7 @ 3.4ghz, 6GB DDR3, GTX570. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but since I'm not having any problems with other games I assume it's Perpetuum.

• Dogmadude360Dogmadude360 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by xenonick30.

My rig is not super hardcore, but pretty good. i7 @ 3.4ghz, 6GB DDR3, GTX570. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but since I'm not having any problems with other games I assume it's Perpetuum.

I'm running a Nvidia 260 GTX graphics card, and an otherwise similar rig to yours, I can run three of the clients simultaneously quite well. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, the game is a bit resource heavy, but I don't see it causing issues to where it would play badly on a system like yours. This could be an isolated instance, or a bad intals perhaps, or you could just be right and the game runs like shit. As for looking like shit, that is your opinion, you're entitled to it. The graphics aren't AAA quality but it is a good, solid game and graphics don't kill a game for me. After all, I don't need a pretty dress to enjoy myself at the party.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

when i tried Perpetuum i thought that it was just ok, nothing more. the graphics did leave quite a bit to be desired but mostly i didn't like the environments. i found them to be too boring and bland. combat instantly brought me back to EvE except that it was even easier because of the fact that you are on the ground.

at least in EvE there is transversal velocity.....in Perpetuum there is only distance and line of sight. sadly i already find Eve's combat to be too boring and static for my taste.

i dunno, i just found it way to easy and bland. i also disliked how robots can't fall off steep clifs or drops and you have to use that gawd awful gridded map to see what you can and can't walk over.

• gibogibo Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

when i tried Perpetuum i thought that it was just ok, nothing more. the graphics did leave quite a bit to be desired but mostly i didn't like the environments. i found them to be too boring and bland. combat instantly brought me back to EvE except that it was even easier because of the fact that you are on the ground.

at least in EvE there is transversal velocity.....in Perpetuum there is only distance and line of sight. sadly i already find Eve's combat to be too boring and static for my taste.

i dunno, i just found it way to easy and bland. i also disliked how robots can't fall off steep clifs or drops and you have to use that gawd awful gridded map to see what you can and can't walk over.

You just needed to press L key and you can see on the terrian , the impassable terrian. Also eve has no line of sight and AoE damage, beats transversal velocity hands down. Inteference was added too, where to many mechs grouped together will effect their targeting speed and range, this was done as an anti blob mechanic.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Yeah actually, ive never heard of such a complaint compating the game to eve.  Perpetuum is full of eve players, most play both.  Those that enjoy both games stay in perpetuum for the more complex combat and better mining and resource system thats much more engaging and entertaining.

Obviously if you didnt like the eve style combat your not going to like eve style combat with terrain/LOS/aoe deaths ect.

But yeah theres no jumping or driving your robot off a cliff...they have unpassible terrain detection systems preventing such things from occuring (made that up)

Really if your an eve fan and sick of that game, or if you were interested in eve but didnt like the space ship theme, blob mechanics, or the fact that your hopping into a time based progression game years behind everyone else...this is your go to game.

Only complain i hear from the people who play both is that this game is desperately missing a large and lively community.  That is really the only thing stopping this game from really taking off.  A game like this needs a big active and thriving community.  Theres a decent sized community but they are in wait mode.  Following the game, still subbed, but waiting for people to flock to the game..a self defeating act imo.

I never got into eve, the theme didnt appeal and well..the community was snobby and had a huge chip on their shoulder.  I tried this game when it launched.  It had all the complexity i was looking for and wasnt a game wher pvp was based on finger dexterity and use of 3rd party macro programs.  It was fun, had action, and wasnt me mashing my keyboard untill i got arthritis.

Only problem is that once you get passed the nooby stages, you start to wish the game had a vibrant economy and tons of people.  It seems the later stages of the games are packed with people who just long on to check on things.

Game is improving and they are developing it, its just missing the vibrant community that eve is thriving off of.  Put in the community and this game is hands down a better game mechanically.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Yeah actually, ive never heard of such a complaint compating the game to eve.  Perpetuum is full of eve players, most play both.  Those that enjoy both games stay in perpetuum for the more complex combat and better mining and resource system thats much more engaging and entertaining.

Obviously if you didnt like the eve style combat your not going to like eve style combat with terrain/LOS/aoe deaths ect.

But yeah theres no jumping or driving your robot off a cliff...they have unpassible terrain detection systems preventing such things from occuring (made that up)

Really if your an eve fan and sick of that game, or if you were interested in eve but didnt like the space ship theme, blob mechanics, or the fact that your hopping into a time based progression game years behind everyone else...this is your go to game.

Only complain i hear from the people who play both is that this game is desperately missing a large and lively community.  That is really the only thing stopping this game from really taking off.  A game like this needs a big active and thriving community.  Theres a decent sized community but they are in wait mode.  Following the game, still subbed, but waiting for people to flock to the game..a self defeating act imo.

I never got into eve, the theme didnt appeal and well..the community was snobby and had a huge chip on their shoulder.  I tried this game when it launched.  It had all the complexity i was looking for and wasnt a game wher pvp was based on finger dexterity and use of 3rd party macro programs.  It was fun, had action, and wasnt me mashing my keyboard untill i got arthritis.

Only problem is that once you get passed the nooby stages, you start to wish the game had a vibrant economy and tons of people.  It seems the later stages of the games are packed with people who just long on to check on things.

Game is improving and they are developing it, its just missing the vibrant community that eve is thriving off of.  Put in the community and this game is hands down a better game mechanically.

Specializing in EVE takes less time than specializing in Perpetuum. Also, while Perpetuum is about the bigger the better in EVE each class of ship has its own utility and with the right fit, you can even outclass biggest ones i.e industrial ship killing a battleship (can't find the video), rookie ship killing a battleship or even win a 20 vs 3 engagement (check eveiseasy).

Other than that, I'll concede you the rest of your bashing/propaganda even if I respectfully disagree.