Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland: First Look Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We recently had the opportunity to attend a press day for all of the Gamigo line up of games. One of Gamigo's most compelling titles is Otherland, a forthcoming MMO based on the best-selling series by Tad Williams. See what we discovered and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

The Otherland series by Tad Williams is almost tailor-made to convert into an online game. Connecting to an interactive Internet-like source called "the net" people can travel to any realm of imagination, becoming who they wish to be and doing whatever they want to do: Does this sound anything like an MMO-lover's need to immerse themselves into the role of dwarf for a weekend?

Read more of Adam Tingle's Otherland: First Look Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

Great books but not sure gamingo can deliver.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i agree with previous post!they get insanelly good title!loong is a great AAA title but gees on loong3d site they are at edition 4.02 and gamiga is no where near there!so if this is any indicaction i highly have big doubt about other title!

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

In my opinion this game has great potential. The problem I see with it, is that many players are used to of mmo-rpgs being more "on rails" these days. Without prods and guides to lead them down a certain path , the game might not be as successful as it could be. A game world like this is more akin to the older online rpgs, MUDS.

Can you imagine the player chat channels in a game world like this? I can and it isn't pretty, not that most general chat channels in most mmo-rpgs are a sight for sore eyes regardless. Anyhow I know I am hyped up to try it out when it is released. It does look like it will be a game that is about the immersion and journey versus the currrent mmo-rpg mind set, which is all about the destination.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It sounds good, but they still need to deliver it, we will see.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Sounds very interesting.. ill keep an eye on this for sure :)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Looks nice, will have to track this one.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Graphics and art style look amazing, BUT.....Gamigo?  Reeeeally?  tsk tsk

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by just1opinion

Graphics and art style look amazing, BUT.....Gamigo?  Reeeeally?  tsk tsk

+1

• WebzeroWebzero Member UncommonPosts: 33

a shiny turd :(

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

Graphics are very sharp and amazing lots of content but how about the rest ???

• OpinicusOpinicus Member UncommonPosts: 34

Looks interesting. I went to the official site (http://www.otherland-game.com/) to get more infos a few minutes ago but its down, cause of an illegal intrusion :/

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

These books were amazing. I am not sure anyone could pull it off to my satisfaction, and I am very skeptical gamingo can, not to mention that F2P rarely works out well, but they do seem ambitious.

I guess I can keep my fingers crossed, eh?

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I would point it that the game is published by Gamigo rather than developed: thats in the hands of Real U

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Well, at least some devs are trying something different. I'll keep an eye on this game

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Gamigo's servers were recently hacked, and account/billing information has been compromised.

Not too encouraging.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by shakermaker0

I would point it that the game is published by Gamigo rather than developed: thats in the hands of Real U

Which is why I am not worried about that aspect. Gamigo doesn't impress me, but as long as they are just publishing it I can ignore them. :)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Great style, but I'd prefer to see what this mmo looks like in venn diagrams.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Quarter 3 of 2012? Not seeing that happening unless things are much farther along than we've seen so far. 

The launch themes also need to be solid and should include a Sci-Fi and a traditional Fantasy area to capture both initial demographics. The premise sounds awesome, with incredible scope for DLC. New areas, new zones for sale. 

Exciting! But I'm so hesitant to get my hopes up with new IPs . I fear disappointment.

How many people remember Hero's Journey. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?gameId=174&setView=features&loadFeature=133&fp=1024,768,2309419062,20050615084328

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Looks impressive... waiting for the real thing, it might just be something.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The game looks pretty. However, most new games do.

I'm not going to bother looking deep into this until they blatantly tell us the following:

#1. Will PvP be nothing more than another version of "Battlegrounds" or Instanced PvP?

#2. How big are the worlds? Are they Vanguard-like, where one can actually explore, or will they be SWTOR-like, where the "illusion" of a large world is nothing more than a painted backdrop with constant "exhaustion zones" and invisibile walls.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I have read all of Tad Williams books starting with The Dragonbone Chair of the series Memory,Sorrow and Thorn.What better setting than the land of Osten Ard and an abundace of great races and fantastic lore in a world with minor magic to turn into an epic MMO.

IMO they beat the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin and James Oliver Rigney, Jr. aka Robert Jordon's Wheel Of  Time series all day long.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Sure looks interesting, but coming from a company famous for its "Asian Grinders"... I'm not sure.

Will have to wait and see what this turns out to be... a gem of a game, or polished turd!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by shakermaker0

I didn't notice that they were the publishers.  Well, that makes me feel better knowing they're not the developers.  Guess time will tell though, as with every game.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120
    Where is Wicked Tribe?
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Maybe the sandbox developers should seek out the asian companies to get them published.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"