Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Numerical Population Data

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

I've seen this before, the guy made a toon for both factions on each server and goes around to each planet or zone or whatever and takes a head count. It's accurate for the instant he does it in that zone but still leaves at LOT of room for speculation.

Without EA spilling the beans on subscriptions there's just no way to know anything for certain but the lack of any bragging from EA since that 1st month leaves a LOT of speculation going towards things are not going as planned, if they were they would be bragging.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Can someone sum this up? I am too lazy for so many charts.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Elikal

Yeah, it means that server merges are going to be incoming sooner rather than later.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Ryukan

Yeah, it means that server merges are going to be incoming sooner rather than later.

If they have half a brain, they will do what Rift does and allow one to move their own character. That way they avoid the stigma of "mergers" and let people do it themselves. However, Legacy names will add a tier of problems RIFT didnt have.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Thanks a lot for the link OP and /bow to the person who gathered the data.

Impressive, most impressive.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i love one thing ,wichever part of the world you are so far all region are accessable!(very big and good feature in my book!)

but what will they use this feature for?will it even be used ?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    But my server is heaving and none of my friends use x-fire and this isn't based on x-fire so it's all rubbish I tell you.
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

looks like they lowered the light standard threshold once again. LOL

is this going to be the 3rd of every month? Illusionary sliding panels....move along move along

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

These measurement were taken on the weekday (Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday) for one, which is incredibly laughable.

Also, the method of collection has no real ground to stand on. Peak hour for most servers is not 630 PM, so the servers measured at this time were likely 100-200+ people less than actual peak hour. I know on my server peak doesnt happen til about 1030-1100 PM. I think this is a reflection of the fact that the average player in this game is older (and more mature) than a game like WoW for example.

These numbers really show nothing, and for all we know the collector of data could be trying to match the numbers to fit with his agenda. You guys should really take a Stats or Political Science class. The accuracy of data like this is very commonly misconstrued.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

79 servers in US alone. Way too many and i hope they will start merging servers soon.

Hope he starts doing this with EU servers soon as i have more interest in the population there considering i'm a EU player

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

I seem to recall someome mentioning that concurrent is estimated to be roughly 1/5 of the total population so if that is anywhere near the truth it would give around 358.000 on US servers, it doesn't sound all that unrealistic.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Monorojo

These measurement were taken on the weekday (Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday) for one, which is incredibly laughable.

Also, the method of collection has no real ground to stand on. Peak hour for most servers is not 630 PM, so the servers measured at this time were likely 100-200+ people less than actual peak hour. I know on my server peak doesnt happen til about 1030-1100 PM. I think this is a reflection of the fact that the average player in this game is older (and more mature) than a game like WoW for example.

These numbers really show nothing, and for all we know the collector of data could be trying to match the numbers to fit with his agenda. You guys should really take a Stats or Political Science class. The accuracy of data like this is very commonly misconstrued.

I think you're the only one taking it literally.

The rest of us discerning adults will take it for what it's worth.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

there isn't a single metric that doesn't suggest one direction, a downward trend. Now the only factor is, how much.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Naral

Originally posted by Ryukan

If they have half a brain, they will do what Rift does and allow one to move their own character. That way they avoid the stigma of "mergers" and let people do it themselves. However, Legacy names will add a tier of problems RIFT didnt have.

I agree, free moving would be good.

I did expect this. And they even added more servers in Aussie/Oceania now...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I'm sure you would have also found reason to discredit the stats if they were done at a weekend at whichever time you deem to be peak hours.

Add another couple hundred players if you like, the numbers are still appalling.

Fact is, were numbers good, BW would be touting them.

It's already clear that they are trying to hide actual numbers when you see how they are manipulating server load stats each month. But that would also be conjecture on our part wouldn't it?

Out of interest, what figures would you believe in? Do they have to come from BW themselves?

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

yea i feel merges are on the horizon

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

My server has a lot of people on it, most come to it, rerolling on it because their servers are empty...

They need to merge fast, it`s no secret they lose a lot of subs but they said they only need 500k anyway and 500k they have i`m sure of it.

So they need to merge the servers and do it fast before they lose whatever other people they have on the low population ones...

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Fact is most the servers are ghost towns apart from the Fleet Stations (most stupid idea to even put them in) and there will have to be server merges or even more people will quit simply because there is no one to play with on their server.

I remember making All my characters over Three servers which were all FULL with massive cap times at release and just before I quit all Three of them were dead. I even remember peak times for the Republic side would only have 40 people on the Fleet which was crazy and I was the only person on Alderaan.

SWTOR will be another mmorpg that sells loads but has a quick drop off and will probably end up going F2P.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

This actually indicates there are more people playing then previously assumed. The count does not include flashpoints,operations,story phases, or warzones which is a bulk of the server population. Not to mention that it does not include PvP servers..which means the activity level around prime time is close to 150k judging by those numbers,which again, do not include the previously mentioned areas of the game. 150k players actively playing is pretty significant. (Since usually mmos have about 10-20% of people playing of the paying subs in prime time) 

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by jacklo

I'm sure you would have also found reason to discredit the stats if they were done at a weekend at whichever time you deem to be peak hours.

Add another couple hundred players if you like, the numbers are still appalling.

Fact is, were numbers good, BW would be touting them.

It's already clear that they are trying to hide actual numbers when you see how they are manipulating server load stats each month. But that would also be conjecture on our part wouldn't it?

Out of interest, what figures would you believe in? Do they have to come from BW themselves?

First off, Monorojo is more accurate in his statements than the OP is.  Education would be the discerning factor is my guess there.  Second, he never says anywhere's that the OP is actually wrong, only that his data, collected at the some of the worst days and times is, at best, suspect.  Oh I am sure they look good if YOU want them too, but any mathematician worth his salt would be laughing his butt off at these numbers.

Honestly, I do believe that server mergers are on the way.  Not due to these numbers though.  I believe they are on the way because almost every game released in the last 5 years has released with a lot more servers than they needed for the long term.  After all, if people can't play in the beginning, then the develepers get ragged on for that much more than if there are mergers later on.  It is therefore healthier for the game to have extra servers in the beginning and then cut back later on.

As for manipulating server numbers, all they have done so far is to adjust server loads so that MORE people can play on each server.  Something that makes the servers LOOK emptier when logging in, but actually allows for better play.  Unfortunately, for people that want to do anything they can to tear down a company/game, that can easily be spun to look bad instead of good.

Lastly, I am just glad this game wasn't made by SOE.  Otherwise we would see an entirely new game being released to totally destroy the current one in a month or two, and then it would never be working to fix bugs or add any real content.  Something BioWare is currently doing pretty well and with more experience I can only see them improving upon.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I can't think of a more popular topic than this that is so absolutely pointless.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Bardus

I've seen this before, the guy made a toon for both factions on each server and goes around to each planet or zone or whatever and takes a head count. It's accurate for the instant he does it in that zone but still leaves at LOT of room for speculation.

Without EA spilling the beans on subscriptions there's just no way to know anything for certain but the lack of any bragging from EA since that 1st month leaves a LOT of speculation going towards things are not going as planned, if they were they would be bragging.

They are bragging.   They're bragging about quiet forums and MMO players playing 4-to-6 hours a session.    Which, of course, MMOs like AoC and Warhammer can brag about, too.    Because while they may have less than 100K subs,those subs play 4-to-6 hours each...   And like BioWare, their forums, once hot beds of angry fans screaming at the devs to fix the game with equal amounts of fanboys screaming at the fans they're making too much noise and the game is fine and people aren't quitting are quiet.

I still look back on that late Janauary/early February memo...   The one talking about the 1.7 million subs on 12/31/2011...   And the 2.0 million sales at the end of January...      It was like the declaring "we won the game" after the first score when there are still 58 minutes left to play...

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I can't think of a more popular topic than this that is so absolutely pointless.

Oh, harmony then.  Because I just quoted a post that is absolutely pointless...

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

This game will be a ghost town if 1.2 is not the best patch ever created.

lol.  Liberal arts stats?   People who took that couldn't pass the quantative methods test (quant-exam( needed to matriculate from lower-division (freshman/sophmore) to upper-division (junior/senior) course work.  Sure, it counted as taking a stats course...   But the material was so dumbed down that those that used stats from a social-sciences field ended with a huge performance penalty on the quant-exam.

That's why people like me took statistics for engineers and math majors.   Far more rigorous and demanding.    And had you done so, you wouldn't have written the post you wrote.    We're dealing with large populations with scalable and predictible behaviors, and 6:30PM on MWF is as good a time as any AND as long as he's consistent with method, time and place of measurement his data will provide accurate trends.

No matter how much you want to live in denial and throw BS against the wall in the hopes some of it sticks.