Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you think it'll be until we see clones?

robintussinrobintussin Member UncommonPosts: 9

You know, as with all big games, there are bound to be companies that will basically copy and paste its features into a dumbed down, less polished version of their own such as WoW and the MANY clones that followed after its success. How many months/years do you think it will be until guild wars 2 inevitably has its own clones with features such as WvWvW pvp (I know GW2 wasn't the first to do this, but if it is successful, when will games start including WvWvW in their games again?), underwater combat, dynamic events, and all of the other features that will make GW2 a big hit?

Comments

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

If in fact guild wars 2 is successful and brings in major revenue for Anet. Then i'm sure within a year or two we'll see similar games starting to appear.

• robintussinrobintussin Member UncommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by Khole

If in fact guild wars 2 is successful and brings in major revenue for Anet. Then i'm sure within a year or two we'll see similar games starting to appear.

This is true, though I hope that if GW2 is successful and companies do start to copy it, the industry won't be stuck on copying the success of GW2 like it did with WoW.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

There are already companies starting to copy their features and integrate them into their own games, including existing games which are adding them as new features... It will happen sooner than you think, but like most of the wow clones, most of their copies won't be up to their standards.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by robintussin

You know, as with all big games, there are bound to be companies that will basically copy and paste its features into a dumbed down, less polished version of their own such as WoW and the MANY clones that followed after its success. How many months/years do you think it will be until guild wars 2 inevitably has its own clones with features such as WvWvW pvp (I know GW2 wasn't the first to do this, but if it is successful, when will games start including WvWvW in their games again?), underwater combat, dynamic events, and all of the other features that will make GW2 a big hit?

But a large amount of its features are already cloned/aren't original to GW2...

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

There are already companies starting to copy their features and integrate them into their own games, including existing games which are adding them as new features... It will happen sooner than you think, but like most of the wow clones, most of their copies won't be up to their standards.

Oh really? Which games would these happen to be? I really need a game to play to keep my mind off GW2 haha

Originally posted by Garvon3

I know, but if GW2 is successful, then other companies might start to realize these features a lot more and add it to their own games.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

do you have any examples/names of games, doing this?

I've got the straight edge.

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

Titan isn't due out until like 2014 right?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

In this type of situation (something new), some "clones" might actually do it better. This is one thing that kinda sucks about being the pioneer. You do the hard part (imagine something new) while the rest use your foundation to work from.

Think EQ - WOW. While I am not a WOW fan and have never been one, there's no denying they did exactly what I just said.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Distopia

In this type of situation (something new), some "clones" might actually do it better. This is one thing that kinda sucks about being the pioneer. You do the hard part (imagine something new) while the rest use your foundation to work from.

Think EQ - WOW. While I am not a WOW fan and have never been one, there's no denying they did exactly what I just said.

You're right. And Guild Wars 2 did the same thing with Warhammer's public questing. They introduced the idea, but there were many flaws in it, and it just wasn't bold enough to take a foothold as a revolutionary content type. But when ArenaNet built the game around the dynamic event system and what it stands for, that's when they took it to the next level. And that's what people will likely try to emulate.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

The game isnt even out and you fanboys are already saying its  the best ever and every company will copy it ?   I hope this game works but if it flops some of you are in for a huge let down.   Can we just stop the hype for now and wait for the release ? Keep puting this game on a level it cant possibly meet and you will crash hard.

Originally posted by William12

The game isnt even out and you fanboys are already saying its  the best ever and every company will copy it ?   I hope this game works but if it flops some of you are in for a huge let down.   Can we just stop the hype for now and wait for the release ? Keep puting this game on a level it cant possibly meet and you will crash hard.

I don't recall anyone on this thread calling this game "The best ever" or saying "Every company will copy its possible success".

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by William12

Pretty much this. I know the game has good reviews so far, and people seem to love it, who have played it. But let's not count the chickens before they hatch. There could be massive, unforseen problems. I would think many developers would keep an eye out before trying ideas from GW2 to make sure, you know, they work.

I will have a lot more faith in the core concepts of this game when I see how it does under a massive beta that lets in non press, hardcore gamers who really kick the throttle down and test the DEs and WvWvW and some of the other things the game offers that while not necessarily original to GW2, are a rarity these days. I want to see how it does when they have to shoehorn players into the WvWvW games and how performance is then. 

All that said, I am excited as hell for this game, just more than a bit tempered with my optimism. I have been burned a lot lately by this genre.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwhich. Think about it lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Serelisk

Originally posted by Distopia

You're right. And Guild Wars 2 did the same thing with Warhammer's public questing. They introduced the idea, but there were many flaws in it, and it just wasn't bold enough to take a foothold as a revolutionary content type. But when ArenaNet built the game around the dynamic event system and what it stands for, that's when they took it to the next level. And that's what people will likely try to emulate.

Anet is playing it safe with Dynamic Events. I think they are pioneers in designing their entire world around it. But at the same time, it is a very controlled, linear approach.

Another dev will take DEs to the next level over the next few years, building on what Anet has done with GW2. Who knows, Anet may iterate on it when they make GW3 hehe

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

since Tera is ALREADY talking about GW2 style DEs.... the time has come already =P

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

This is true, though I hope that if GW2 is successful and companies do start to copy it, the industry won't be stuck on copying the success of GW2 like it did with WoW.

Why? This copying bring new ideas to the table and develope them to better ideas. This proccess apply for everything. The problem with current copying is that the ideas behind it are dull, boring, static. Especialy the dynamic content and the "more action oriented combat" should be the future and I'm sure that it can be add to it.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by mazut

Why? This copying bring new ideas to the table and develope them to better ideas. This proccess apply for everything. The problem with current copying is that the ideas behind it are dull, boring, static. Especialy the dynamic content and the "more action oriented combat" should be the future and I'm sure that it can be add to it.

yes but when they announce their intention on adding it RIGHT at the same time as a successful press beta.... It comes off as very desperate and a lot like trying to ride the coat tails of GW2. 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by mazut

yes but when they announce their intention on adding it RIGHT at the same time as a successful press beta.... It comes off as very desperate and a lot like trying to ride the coat tails of GW2. 

i may be ostrisized for this, but whatever,  in my eyes, gw2 is taking the good elements of the past 10 years or so, and combining them together to make a more complete game.   if and when other game developers realize the success gw2 will have, then sure they will try to implement the successful parts of the game into their game(s).  but in my estimation gw2 is not the beginning,  but rather the end of an era. will it be an awesome game?  all signs point to yes.  but, after a few years of games copying, experimenting on things they've done/improved on from previous games, something new will come out and blow them out of the water.  that's the beauty of progression.  gw2 will (supposidly) give us everything we've been waiting for.  but other developers and games have the right and hopefully the creativity to expand on the ideas futher.  it's not even out yet, but it doenst take a rocket scientist to realizse that this game has the potential to be a classic game when we all sit down and look back on the history of mmo's.

I've got the straight edge.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some ideas will come into other already existing games soon. Games like Wow, EQ2, LOTRO and the rest will surely take a thing or 2 from it, it is usual when a new game comes out.

But a GW2 clone wont come out for years.They wont start with it until after they decided GW2 is a success and even then it will take 4 years to make the game.

And it is possible it wont happen at all, the clone must be F2P or B2P to compete.

A Wow clone really had to be better than Wow to take Wows subs. noone really succeded because as good is not enough to get people to switch and newly released games that is as good also had a lot less content.

A GW2 clone that is P2P needs to be a lot better.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by ariboersma

since Tera is ALREADY talking about GW2 style DEs.... the time has come already =P

Well, Rift already had its rifts, and Star Trek Online and Champions Online, not to mention City of Heroes and Villains and DCUO have their own versions of public events. What nobody's doing, and I would be willing to bet TERA isn't, is having dynamic events be the sole form of PvE content delivery in the open world.

I'd be surprised if TERA is planning to rip out all of its quests and replace them with dynamic events, rather than do what everyone else has done and have them merely supplement their existing quest content. Because if it's the latter, they're not so much improving on GW2's vision, or copying it, as they are emulating Rift, or maybe DCUO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Serelisk

Frankly did I know about them in GW2 before I knew about them in WAR. There were plenty of talk about DEs for GW: Utopia long before WAR came out and I read the first official stuff about both WAR and GW2 in the same PC gamer, which had nothing about PQs. I frankly recognize very little about the WAR they described there and the WAR that actually released.

I am not saying it was ANET that invented the idea, I think it poppped up in several places at the same time, but slightly different. WAR, RIFT and GW2 have different ideas on how the stuff should work. GW2s really is more of a different way to start a quest when players are near.

Anet looked on quests and wanted new quest mechanics while WAR and Rift wanted to add some cooperative events that pops at times to vary questing a bit. At first looks they are all very similar but they are not meant to do the same things.

It is kinda the same as when you look on Egyptian and mezo-American pyramids. They look similar but they started out very different.Egyptian pyramids started out as a tomb with 2 steps while the American version is made to symbolize a mountain. That did not mean that Azteks ripped of Egyptians or that both copied Atlantian architecture, just that 2 different ideas lead to rather similar resaults.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Loke666

Some ideas will come into other already existing games soon. Games like Wow, EQ2, LOTRO and the rest will surely take a thing or 2 from it, it is usual when a new game comes out.

But a GW2 clone wont come out for years.They wont start with it until after they decided GW2 is a success and even then it will take 4 years to make the game.

And it is possible it wont happen at all, the clone must be F2P or B2P to compete.

A Wow clone really had to be better than Wow to take Wows subs. noone really succeded because as good is not enough to get people to switch and newly released games that is as good also had a lot less content.

A GW2 clone that is P2P needs to be a lot better.

I agree with this.

Some ideas will be borrowed, or will inspire new features based on GW2 design elements, fairly quickly. If the game is a huge success, then some companies may try to clone the entire formula. However, since no one ever really managed to successfully clone all the elements that made WoW work, it's hard to imagine that anyone will pull off a GW2 clone.

Everything in this game makes sense in the context of everything else in the game. Many of the features in isolation, or an improper mix of various elements by less skillful developers, may not amount to much.

I think the idea of Dynamic Events replacing most or all traditional MMO quests may be something that can and will work for other games. Maybe someone will even be able to expand on it by giving all NPC and Mob factions independant agendas that lead to some very complex and unpredictable organic environments.

What I'm really hoping will happen if the game is a success is that it will inspire developers and publishers to risk developing their own innovations in search of a unique, cohesive MMORPG design that isn't just a retread of some other game. Some other developers seem to have already taken that leap of faith on games that probably won't release for at least another year or two. Hopefully GW2 will set the bar fairly high so that these developers will be even more willing to push the bounderies of innovation and match the level of ambition Arenanet has shown.

GW2 may break the shackles that have stiffled creativity and innovation in MMOs for most of the last half decade or more. Some developers will still stand in place, not knowing at all what to do with greater creative freedom, but hopeful some few will blaze their own new trails for the genre.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Events are really not new, but Arenanet seems to be the first to realize group events alone are not enough, that other game mechanis need to support the idea of playing together effortlessly. DEs wouldn't work half as well if it wasn't for the combat design (no healers), loot design (individual loot tables), chaining and scaling.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Think I will wait and see how well Guild Wars 2 does before I start worrying about "clones"...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!