Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOTA, LoL, and HoN... Are these all the same game? which is better?

RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

Defense of the Ancients, League Of Legends, and Heroes of Newerth

Are these all the same game? Ive tried LoL and HoN and only looked up DOTA... and they all look the same besides visual style....Is this True? Which one is better? Your thoughts? So far I am enjoying LoL with Tundra Warwick ;p and finding it a bit more balanced than HoN..but i have NOT played HoN for long so that might change.. Whats your guys thoughts?

Comments

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I prefer LoL coz its easier, games are shorter and much more fun imo
  • schlixschlix Member Posts: 31

while i have tried HoN, havent played dota, and currently playing LoL, LoL is simply amazing! lots of fun especially with friends. But the community starting out is somewhat filled with smurfs with bad attitudes :(

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Calling these games "the same" is like calling Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield 3 the same... just because they're in the same genre does not mean they offer the same content. There are different levels of focus on microing, teamwork, building up characters before battles, and the competitive scene in each game. Also they all got different characters, abilities, map layouts and other quirks. DOTA is without a doubt the most hardcore MOBA right now but is arguably less accessible than LoL or HoN. Just pick one you like, the skills you gain in one game will likely carry over to the others.

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

why is it on both HoN and LoL the maps are the same? im guessing DOTA has same maps also?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Raijukin

why is it on both HoN and LoL the maps are the same? im guessing DOTA has same maps also?

LoL doesn't exactly have the same map as DOTA and HoN, there are some slight differences but the core is still similar to DOTA. The map was based on the original DOTA map from the Warcraft 3 mod.

LoL is more casual-friendly and newbie-friendly. Many major mechanics of DOTA were removed in LoL, making it far more accessible. On the other hand, LoL suffers from serious balancing issues, and Riot adds news heroes fairly often making balancing the game even harder.

HoN is practically a copy of DOTA. It features heroes that have the very same mechanics that DOTA has, but with slight tweaks on balance. HoN also has it's own heroes now. The mechanics are copy of DOTA as well. (When I say copy, the person who worked behind DOTA and DOTA 2 worked on HoN as well).

DOTA (2) is the most "hardcore" of the group. It has various mechanics such as denying allied creeps and heroes to control the amount of gold your opponent can make (denying a creep before it dies, thus "stealing" the kill preventing the enemy from acquiring gold. This mechanic does not exist in LoL), micro-management (certain heroes and items gives the users the ability to summon or convert mobs, some of these mobs have skills on their own which helps the player in various ways). DOTA is heavily focused on teamwork.  DOTA heroes also offer some of the most diverse gameplay of all 3 games.

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

Well so far I have had the WORST experience on HoN...the player base is extremely unfriendly..

• DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

Haven't tried HoN, but played plenty of DOTA and LoL and LoL is by far the better option. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

LoL is the most fun (probably why it's grown so quickly).  HoN and DotA have what's called "denying" where you try to last hit your own minions, towers and teammates in order to deny the enemy resources.

Some people think that it's a super skillful way of playing, though I find it fundamentally retarded and anti-competitive. Because if you are exceptional at denying, then you basically don't have to play against your opponents as they won't be able to keep up with you.  So it's less of a pvp based game and more of a whack-a-mole kill your own guys game.

However, if you've never played any DotA type game, then here's a rule of thumb.  If you play LoL first, you probably will never enjoy HoN or DotA (probably - like I said).  If you played HoN or DotA first, you may or may not prefer those to LoL if you are used to it.

No matter which you play, there are unfriendly players in all with LoL being the least offensive in that department. HoN and DotA players are pissed off at everything and everyone 99.9% of the time for whatever reason.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

LoL is more casual-friendly and newbie-friendly. Many major mechanics of DOTA were removed in LoL, making it far more accessible. On the other hand, LoL suffers from serious balancing issues, and Riot adds news heroes fairly often making balancing the game even harder.

How so?  Nearly all the champs are useful in competitive play and see usage (with some exceptions like Eve).  While some are certainly picked more often than others I think the balance is just fine.  Some champions aren't specifically balanced for tournament play but do well at lower ELOs.

Do you really think DOTA and HoN are more balanced than LOL?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

How so?  Nearly all the champs are useful in competitive play and see usage (with some exceptions like Eve).  While some are certainly picked more often than others I think the balance is just fine.  Some champions aren't specifically balanced for tournament play but do well at lower ELOs.

Do you really think DOTA and HoN are more balanced than LOL?

DOTA is more balanced than LoL, of that there is no doubt in my mind. HoN is beginning to have balance issues since they went F2P and add new heroes. LoL however...every new hero that is added is not only very powerful and imbalanced, but they also replace entirely older characters. Those olders characters are still useful, but they're not as good as the newer heroes. This has been a constant theme for quite a while. Beside, Guinsoo was never really great with Balancing.

DOTA on the other hand has been around for several years, and has been continously balanced for competitive plays. Of course some characters are very strong (Anti-Mage in late game for example) but there are various strategies to win battle against them. DOTA is a game where you can easily turn the tables around if played right, it's more about players skills and teamwork than it is about the hero. Unlike LoL where OP heroes can easily take the lead because there are no mechanics to prevent them from getting stronger and/or farmed. He just needs to wait a little longer...

• vojkan95vojkan95 Member Posts: 104

i played dota lol and hon .  dota outdated , lol suck ! Hon is better then this two games 100%

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I vote LoL cuz of Teemo.  Captain Teemo on duty! Hup Two Three Four~

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I enjoy LoL more then HoN and Dota, I used to play Dota during warcraft 3 and due to it's primitive system, it is not noob friendly. There is no builds, and the only way to learn is by yourself. Dota 2 is the same thing as there is no great guides for all the characters of the game, the community becomes a bad case of hemoroids, everyone game that I've played, we have 1 troll, 3 people who spoke in a different language or don't speak at all. Dota 2 don't got alot of good heroes and lack alot of balance that make multiple users use the same damn characters all the time. I also played HoN and stop playing after 2 days due to a bad community, as that is worser then the Dota 2 community as if you get a bad score, your kinda banned permananty from the game as everyone will kick you from all the servers due to your god awful score.

LoL is totally more fun due to many reasons:

-Mastery and Runes

-Useful Progressions and unlockables

-More Character to play as

-Useful builds for each and every character

-Somewhat friendly community, people actually speak in the game

-Noob Friendlyness with a pre-built guide to help your character

This is why League of Legends is getting popular by the day and the reason why many people like this game then a giant hellhole with overuse characters, assholes and trolls are 95% of the population, and other bullshit that HoN and DOTA 2, and that is the reason that both games are dying is due to their lack of friendlyness and unique features in the game.

• dramatikzdramatikz Member Posts: 51

The LoL community sucks but the game is the best of the three and way more fun.  My only issue with LoL is that you have to play a lot to unlock characters or pay tons of $. 

[EQ][DAoC][WoW][WAR][SWToR][GW2][TSW][WS}

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Dota2 ftw. LoL is for casual players, more of a QWER win! kind of game than actual tactics. I mean the fact that Dota2 has a smoke of deceit that cloaks your entire team is really.... thought provoking. But yeah. Carries actually carry in that game. Plus you cant spam abilities. Cast 2-3x and youre out of mana. In LoL you basically have infinite mana.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

They are all very similar, and to be honest...I would base my decision around the community.

I never played the original DOTA, but I played LoL and HoN.  And I can say definitely, that I had a MUCH worse experience with the HoN community.  I think every game there were at least two people raging about "tards."  It was ridiculous, couldn't get through a single game without someone ruining the fun.

In LoL...those people exist, but they seem much less frequent.  And usually, when one of them shows up, the other players will rally against them.  Also, I think almost every LoL game I've played has ended with a "GG" from both winners and losers, which is really saying something.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by darkedone02

This is why League of Legends is getting popular by the day and the reason why many people like this game then a giant hellhole with overuse characters, assholes and trolls are 95% of the population, and other bullshit that HoN and DOTA 2, and that is the reason that both games are dying is due to their lack of friendlyness and unique features in the game.

DOTA 2 hasn't been released yet, it's still in beta.

• RZetlinRZetlin Member UncommonPosts: 134

For fun, easy casual gameplay - League of Legends is at the top.

When DoTA 2 is officially released, it's going to be the hardcore gamers choice for MOBA.

Heroes of Newerth is slowly dying off:

- Why LoL Succeeded As An Esport Over HoN

- Heroes of Newerth: Lost in an eSports World

- More Evidence Heroes of Newerth Is Losing Steam; Fnatic's HoN Team Migrates To DotA 2

In a nutshell, DoTA 2 will probably end up replacing HoN as the hardcore gamer's choice, while LoL will stay alive because its aim at the mainstream audience.

Personally I prefer League of Legends because it is more fun - there are more modes compared to the other MOBAs (PvP, Coop vs. AI, Dominion).

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The Moba style is very similiar yes (seeing as they take after Dota) however League of Legends plays differently then the other two. I personally prefere LoL over those two since Dota I was never really big on. A game that promotes killing your own creeps... just seems to stupid to me and I just never got into it.

As far as HoN and Dota2, they are basically the same game. HoN pretty much just copy and pastes Dota2 exactly as is and just decided to splash in extra shades of black into the map. Dota2 is, well you guessed it, just like Dota with an added "2". As far as it looks, if anything will happen, Dota2 is likely to steal a LOT more players from HoN then from LoL since the games are virtually the same.  

Try out all three. You will either go for LoL or you will go for HoN/Dota2. If either of those fail (looking at HoN going in a downward spiral over Dota2, but you can't be certain) you will have the other to pick up with sure, different champions, but the gameplay and over-all characters will be the same. Your sure to find a hero that does exactly the same as the other game with gameplay or at least similiar.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

They are all the same game and for the most part are designed by the same fucking people. The community is also the single most overtly hostile and unwelcoming one in the entire gaming industry which has led to them being extremely niche. Hence why the games are all designed by the same people, played by the same people. You're basically playing different takes on WC3 DOTA maps.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• mashanmashan Member Posts: 16

I knew  a game ,called  three kingdoms ,which  is similiar to DOTA.

It can be estimate  that is DOTA 's  model. but  picture is very  fascinating.

health and happy every day

• BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44

LoL has the worst community ever I am 100% sure of that. Everything was good 'till they had a big blast at the E-sport scene. Now every game is filled  ( talking about normal games, don't even wanna mention ranked ) with "omg you n00b why don't you pick support" "pls report this idiot he picked X hero , he is not viable cause some "high ranked" player made a meta list which we all need to follow" And then of course we have the new hero every 2 weeks cycle. How can you balance a game like that ? New heroes outshine the old ones, there are barely some old tier heroes worth picking at all anymore. In the end I just gave away my account and now I can smile again

If you don't have 4 friends to play with you, then run away from LoL. This is coming from a player with over 4k games played

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

I have played 7 different MOBA games, from LoL for 2 years, hon for a bit, RoI for a few months, RoTT before it got shelved for a while, and a few other ones I don't recall. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of these games, they are all the same. You pick a team, you destroy the enemies structures and whatever they cal lthe "big" structure to win. All 7 MOBA games I have played were the same. I am currently playing DOTA2, and find it the most satisfying, but that is merely my opinion.

LoL is the "WoW" of the MOBA genre, it is dumbed down, sugar coated, easy, brightly colored. And Yes, it has an absolutely horrible community. I mastered it on several different accounts very quickly, between the ease of mastering it and the bad community, I cannot even remember the last time I played it..................DOTA2 FTW!

• oniasuraoniasura Member Posts: 4

I know I'm biased as I've not played DOTA2 or the original or HoN yet but I like LoL a lot and the community really isn't all that bad.

• getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

lol for newbies or people who never played WC3 DOTA 1.5 / ALLSTAR.