Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A quick assessment

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Today i put some research intoo the game to find out whats all this fuzz about

-Graphics top of the line, scenery reminded me of Vanguard, but what kind of system is needed to show all of it in Mass combat?

-Annimations are okay, some mobs move awkward, character annimations look typical Korean, acceptabel by most.

-Class system, allows all possible freedom, i wish more games went this route. Just wondering if there will be some kind of AA system in place?

-Combat looked typical MMO, which i enjoyed over the last 14 years, nothing wrong there, or did i miss something, is this combat different from the target and click skills type we have known so long now?

-Siege warfare, looks awesome espescially the 50vs 50 combat. Tough when the siege engines started moving, they killed my immersion, they moved less fluent then Mario did in the orriginal donkey kong game. I hope you're not forced intoo moving the camera position way back to be competitive in PvP

-PvP all over the place... are all servers FFA?

-An open world, finally a game thats trying to recreate the Ultima online feeling with top notch graphics.

- Housing and building and crafting are not my things, i hope that people like me can still have fun without them. I am a nomad traveling around the world with no real place to stay, lets hope the game does not force people to build houses to get some bennefits that otherwise would not be attainable.  Just wondering how they plan to keep certain areas from overcrowding.

-Player ecconomy, i could not find much about this, i could play a merchent, lets hope for this game that the ecconomy is totally player based and that every single item in the game has its uses.

-PvE, seems somewhat underwhelmed, because all attention goes to the PvP, its hard to see how PvE will feel, but then with the new standards soon to be set by GW2, any PvE might feel underwhelmed. But then just traveling through the world and fighting what gets on your way might be fun enough if there are higher goals set then the bloody WoW simpleton quest system.

-If i understoof correctly, the starting zone is a jail, but the only thing fun inthere is that huge football you can kick. I dont want to hunt rats in a Jail, i want to be a heroe.

Please if i forget anything, add it to this post.

To bad i cant read Korean, because i think there is so much more information availlable in that language. This brings me to my biggest gripe with this game. So far not a single game developed by Korean game developers (GW is developed by Americans) made a grand appearance on the EU/US market. They al performed sub par and none of them made enough subs in the western world to be called a succes outside the initial box sales. So while all these video's from Korean games looked great and on paper the gamesystems sounded awesome, it could not capture a sizable western playerbase.

With this game currently being created for the Korean market only, i am really wondering how and when this game might reach the US/EU markets. What plans do the Koreans have to addapt the game to the English speaking world? Because it doesn't matter how good the game looks, it takes much much more to make the roght impression on the EU market.

If they manage to pull this off on the Western market, it could be the perfect game to play for me in combination with GW2. But for now i remain highly doubtfull.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

afaik they are making the game with westerns in mind not koreans, thats at least what Jake said.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

The game is still being worked on hard but the features already in the game outweigh any of the MMO's in the last 6-7 years even if it was released in its current state.

They're still working on the combat system I don't know what they will do to it as I can't read Korean. The graphics are certainly top of the line even in this early build, the draw distance is huge and the mountains in the background look so real. My rig handles the game fine but options are limited in the build, I also play on lower resolutions than most people.

ATI 4890

8GB ram

4.5ghz 2500k

Also going through the client there is evidence translation into English is being done.

Things I think people are going to moan about:

Kill x amount quests, there's plenty of them but if the focus of this game is open world content who cares

Tab targeting combat, people playing TERA and GW2 will complain about this I reckon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Kuro1n

afaik they are making the game with westerns in mind not koreans, thats at least what Jake said.

If that were truly the case wouldn't they then have wanted their closed betas to take place in the west?

If you test a game with Koreans... obviously your feedback is going to slant to their preferences (for good or for bad)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

If that were truly the case wouldn't they then have wanted their closed betas to take place in the west?

If you test a game with Koreans... obviously your feedback is going to slant to their preferences (for good or for bad)

Easier for a korean company to make the game first in their own language and then port it i believe.

• kumdankalekumdankale Member Posts: 16

you talk as if they don't give beta keys to English fansite admins and mods.

they also gave beta keys to press people from a lot of language you can see youtube videos.

and the CEO always mentioned they are creating the game the west in mind in his interviews.

oh noooooes we have no publisherz!!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Very informative post OP: Top dog. Tbh, the features list is very good for AA (not alcoholics a...) but still waiting for a FULL BLOWN preview to get a real idea. Same can be said of TSW, too.

It's good to see games such as above, that I'm not following, still potentially bringing good features to the mmorpg table. 2012 might turn out to be a ... /? image

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

If only ArcheAge used the CryEngine to look like this

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/02/bless-kr-new-images-galore.html

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

My rig handles the game fine but options are limited in the build, I also play on lower resolutions than most people.

You are in beta? 

Me jelly. :(

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I am too lazy to look for interview especially that he may mentioned this i multiple ones ,etc

but I think he said he made game ALSO with westerners in mind and not that he gives westerners priority over korans / chinese. Which is still good and logical.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

The game is still being worked on hard but the features already in the game outweigh any of the MMO's in the last 6-7 years even if it was released in its current state.

They're still working on the combat system I don't know what they will do to it as I can't read Korean. The graphics are certainly top of the line even in this early build, the draw distance is huge and the mountains in the background look so real. My rig handles the game fine but options are limited in the build, I also play on lower resolutions than most people.

ATI 4890

You really need a new graphics card.

8GB ram

4.5ghz 2500k

How does Cry engine handle extra memmory and multiple CPU cores?

Also going through the client there is evidence translation into English is being done.

Things I think people are going to moan about:

Kill x amount quests, there's plenty of them but if the focus of this game is open world content who cares

Tab targeting combat, people playing TERA and GW2 will complain about this I reckon

Nothing wrong with tab targetting if the game is build around tactical choices and not so much about buttonmashing.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Tend to agree here. The history of porting eastern games to the west is not exactly great. Sure there have always been some changes, but they' never seem to get past the basic differences between eastern/western players mentality:

RNG

- This is one of the prime exit door openers. Whilst eastern players may love the gamble feel, it's just a frustrating game abandoning feature over here.

Storyless Grind

- Once the newness wears off this is the slow population killer, as players lose the desire to log on just to re-run the "kill 100 of xxx for a medal" - oh and by the way you need 500 medals for a weapon enhancement which may be wiped the first time you try to equip it.

No PVE servers

- Didn't work for Aion, just resulted in pve players getting ganked all the time. By the time NC messed around with the rifting, they had managed to lose a large number of both player types.

If there are no pve servers then the game will attract less people over here. PVP players may not mind that, but ultimately a smaller playerbase over here will lead to less western development, and less support for the players.

Western GM's

- get the support right, not a couple of guys who's job is just to forward messages to a dead letter drop in the east.

One of these days an eastern game will sort the above issues out - then we'll see something with long term player retention.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by alyosha17

We don't even know anything about that game yet.  And, a lot of those screenshots look altered.

Doesn't take long for someone to find an issue with something.  AA has the best graphics in any MMO to date, and it's not good enough. 

• kumdankalekumdankale Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by DAS1337

We don't even know anything about that game yet.  And, a lot of those screenshots look altered.

Doesn't take long for someone to find an issue with something.  AA has the best graphics in any MMO to date, and it's not good enough. 

Archeage has no instances.. one big seamless world. That game looks really nice but i am guessing it will be heavily instanced because you cant have an acceptable performance with top graphics in open world mmo

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Tend to agree here. The history of porting eastern games to the west is not exactly great. Sure there have always been some changes, but they' never seem to get past the basic differences between eastern/western players mentality:

RNG

- This is one of the prime exit door openers. Whilst eastern players may love the gamble feel, it's just a frustrating game abandoning feature over here.

Random Number generators have a function in RPG's, in general if you dont like them there are other genres and games that suit you better, like FPS games.

Storyless Grind

- Once the newness wears off this is the slow population killer, as players lose the desire to log on just to re-run the "kill 100 of xxx for a medal" - oh and by the way you need 500 medals for a weapon enhancement which may be wiped the first time you try to equip it.

Quests have grown old.... you need to give people other reasons to go out in the wilds and kill stuff.

No PVE servers

- Didn't work for Aion, just resulted in pve players getting ganked all the time. By the time NC messed around with the rifting, they had managed to lose a large number of both player types.

If there are no pve servers then the game will attract less people over here. PVP players may not mind that, but ultimately a smaller playerbase over here will lead to less western development, and less support for the players.

One dedicated server type to attract the players that love these games, in this case the game is here to PvP, PvP and PvP some more during the PvE

Western GM's

- get the support right, not a couple of guys who's job is just to forward messages to a dead letter drop in the east.

Since i left EQ i havent played any other game that had decent GM's, i never need them and use them anyway.

One of these days an eastern game will sort the above issues out - then we'll see something with long term player retention.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Very informative post OP: Top dog. Tbh, the features list is very good for AA (not alcoholics a...) but still waiting for a FULL BLOWN preview to get a real idea. Same can be said of TSW, too.

It's good to see games such as above, that I'm not following, still potentially bringing good features to the mmorpg table. 2012 might turn out to be a ... /? image

http://archeagesource.com/topic/636-archeage-cbt4-review-and-extensive-game-info/

About a month old, but quite extensive.

There have been rather major changes to the repair/upgrade system recently, still in flux it seems.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Nothing in their cinematic tralier looked as good as those screenshots...they look like renders to me. If the game actually looks like that when live, i will be exstatic...but I smell some Maya and Photoshop action here. First time ever that in-game screens trump pre-rendered cinematics...

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature