Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The simple and obvious genius of scaling players to zones

124»

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Levels won't make that much of a difference in the game. In other games a player 5+ levels higher than the mobs can just destroy all the mobs in an area. With the scaling down it will remain somewhat challenging even if you'll be stronger than when you were lower level.

The genius of this system is that it will keep zones interesting, even when you outleveled the mobs in it. In other MMO you wouldn't even bother stopping if you were attacked simply because the mobs can't really hurt you and you wouldn't get any xp for kiling them anyway. With the old system you'd just pass through a zone at a certain level, only to never return there with that character. With the scaling there is no reason not to return to an area when there's a DE going on.

The problem with the old way of doing things is players burning through content only to reach a boring grind end-game. With the scaling system the whole game is end-game, keeping it a lot more interesting for players. It might lead to a player not feeling like they're not advancing all that much, but the question is if that's a bad thing. What's so great about being able to afk while being pounded on by lower level mobs? If anything it's a big immersion breaker.

imageimage
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I did not like the scaling system in City of Heroes.  They simply took away your powers you earned after a certain level, and crafted enhancement bonuses disappeared if they were too high of a level too.  While I understand the reasons for the design of their system, I disagree with the logic.  I put the effort into making my character powerful in a fairly complex character development system and I don't want it all simply taken away.  Scaling it back would have made a lot more sense than removing my powers and bonuses completely.

I hope Guild Wars 2 does not follow the same path.

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Originally posted by Master10K
    What's annoying about current MMORPGs is that their's no incentive to go back and help a friend or guildmate on, let's say, an Elite mob for a quest. Because oneshotting a mob, that was once challenging, isn't fun and getting no rewards for doing something makes it a waste of time. So bring on the sidekicking, or dynamic auto-leveling mechanic, whatever it's called. It's much better than the current system of grey mobs, which turn once popular mid-level zones, into wastel 

Quoted for Truth

I enjoy Everquest 2's Mentoring and Chrono'ing system for this. I wish it was giving as an option not only when grouping, but when zoning as well. Reducing my toon's level to appropriate for the zone revitalizes a lot of old zones for me. Mentoring guildies allows me to spend time with more of my guild members and constructively help them.

I think that EQ2's mentoring system is well done in that it scales everything back. My toon doesn't lose skills, just a percentage of all values. My toon is still overpowered for the level, but that is kinda fun too.

I would like to see this in more MMOs.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by syntax42

Scaling it back would have made a lot more sense than removing my powers and bonuses completely.

Thats exactly what they are doing :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D