Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

interesting question..

IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

seeing as i started playing haven and hearth after checking out salem, its kinda dawned on me no one as of yet has made any comment about the ingame economy.. 

im going with the assumption that its going to use the HnH player made one.. which kinda worries me, as the HnH econ really cripples new players to the point that they just wont play, once they hit the brick wall in crafting items and need X item for something with 0 means to get it.

so has there been much statement towards how salem will combat the economy issues they hit in HnH should salem use a similar system for ingame econ??

while i do understand both games do not limit you in creating all items in the game, i also know without some form of trade or mass multi-accounts dedicated to 1 aspect of the game for mats/crafting you pretty much hit a wall.. im sure many might not see a problem with a player run econ... but i frankly do not wish to have to dedicate 12 months or 2 yrs of heavy game play (8hrs per day /7 /365)  just to get skills high enough level that i can trade with players.. much like you run in to in HnH

once the game is online for 3 months or more and you wind up with a heavy dedicated group of players.. any new player is pretty much out of luck for trading.. as older players will not buy an item of lower quality items (which makes sense but it cripples the new player who did not have access to the early trading of low quality.)

on top of that, most trades which are made by older players could wind up being soo far out of a newer player's reach that its impossible for a newer player to attain the items they badly need to advance.. 

~~~generalized example~~~

(day 1 of launch, lowest bacon sells for 2 gold)

(day 120 of launch, lowst bacon sells for 900000gold)

(day 1 of launch lowest raw bacon trades for 1g)

(day 120 of launch, lowest raw bacon trades for 0g)

at day 1 a new player only has access to raw bacon for trades.. = new player can not generate income via trade to advance... player ends up quiting do to no way to compete with players who started at launch.

^ that is the sort of stuff you run in to playing haven and hearth, people trade only high quality items (stuff that requires atleast a 100 skill point to get/make) for pearls which are a super rare item, and neither are attainable to a new player until they have played atleast a year or more (provided they are not randomly killed/raided and have to start all over again)

soo pretty much i am just wondering how salem will handle the economy ingame..

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I don't think they have released any detailed info about this. I could be similar to H&H but you never know... Now they're supposedly aiming at a (slightly) larger audience so perhaps there will be better trading tools in Salem.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i sure hope so.. in HnH im prettty much crippled trade wise as i can not find mass quanities of mussels (pearls) to barter for my needed items. 

so im kinda of worried salem will suffer that same invisible wall.  mind you from what i understand the current world 6 of hnh has been running for quite some time so alot of people are basicly "end game" where all the current trade prices are coming from.. 

be interesting to see how the plan to build salam to allow for "reply" ability and how they will setup trading.. 

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Well HnH has really gone downhill since world 5, but back in 3/4 pretty much everyone was viable to trade. There was a good network of new players who traded amongst each other, and of vets who had atleast semi-fair prices on their goods. It was a really good system. No one ever really had a monopoly on high Q stuff, except maybe ore. And I'll admit it was hard to get into trading ore. But the real fun from HnH, imo, is getting together with a group of friends and starting your own village, trading between each other for the higher Q stuff. The last village I was in was 6 people, each with their own specialty who knew where to find the higher Q resources or how to craft higher Q items. We really didn't need outside help to sustain our own little economy. I just don't think Salem or HnH is centered around mass trading, unless you have the 100s of hours to grind.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.