Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resub to Rift?

ThaFinestThaFinest Member Posts: 21

Ok, since GW2 and TSW (The Secret World) are coming out shortly, I need to find something to keep me entertained. But here is the problem, I am already subbed to SW:TOR, DAoC, and play LoL regularly. I know I'm crazy, but I'm a MMORPG fantaic, this is what I do, and I love to do it. I recently thought of resubbing to Rift and wasting some time over there. Smart or Dumb idea?

DISCUSS! :D

Gaming Names -
Xboxlive - ThafinestX
PS3 - ThafinestX
LoL - DeeKno & ThaFinest
SW:TOR - DeeKno & ThaFinest
DAoC - Sebestian

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

DAoC still active? I left a few years ago and it was pretty dead then.

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

I believe you can play from level 1-20 without paying.  So, you might try that with a few classes.  if that doesn't work, maybe visit the F2P games listed on this site.

• ThaFinestThaFinest Member Posts: 21

Yeah, still has a loyal following and the PvP is still pretty intense during the weekends and nights (during the weekdays). You should come back ;-)

Gaming Names -
    Xboxlive - ThafinestX
    PS3 - ThafinestX
    LoL - DeeKno & ThaFinest
    DAoC - Sebestian

• VaygusVaygus Member Posts: 131

When I left RIFT a few months after launch I figured I would probably never go back. I didn't leave due to me not wanting to play, but hardware failure and then real-life relocation issues. After they were settled, I just didn't have the desire at all really for any MMO.

Recently I was in Best Buy and seen a few copies on sale and decided on the spot to pick it up, start from scratch, and give it another go. Very glad I did. Once I left RIFT, I didn't follow the updates too much. Very glad I didn't. I came back and was extremely impessed in the extra polish and content they added.

Not to mention the fact that every zone since level 1 on one of the lowest populated servers has had plenty of people in it. At first I thought it had to be RIFT Lite players, but every zone is packed, and the edition mounts everyone has says they are subscribers, or were at some point. 

Plenty of zone events and invasions going on, so the population is great. Just hit 40 again and haven't had an issue finding groups for anything; rifting, quests, or dungeons. Good time to return and try it out, especially with the Carnival going on. Plus, you can always return for free on an existing account or new account and level 1-20 for free.

Interesting. What server? As I said when me and my gf played we may not see people for like a week when I finaly gave up and quit, She continued on a CoOp server but DAoC was for pvp and CoOp seemed pointless.

See, I had a similar experience as you did, relocation and hardware failure, etc and this was one of the main reasons I left the game. If I remember correctly, I have a level 38 Paragon/Champion and didn't have any qualms about the game, I just didn't know if the general direction of the game was positive or negative. What's your in game name and what server are you on?

Gaming Names -
    Xboxlive - ThafinestX
    PS3 - ThafinestX
    LoL - DeeKno & ThaFinest
    DAoC - Sebestian

Originally posted by Yizle

Interesting. What server? As I said when me and my gf played we may not see people for like a week when I finaly gave up and quit, She continued on a CoOp server but DAoC was for pvp and CoOp seemed pointless.

All the servers are rolled into one now (There are Ywain1-10, which is for zone reasons like housing, etc, but it's one server)

Gaming Names -
    Xboxlive - ThafinestX
    PS3 - ThafinestX
    LoL - DeeKno & ThaFinest
    DAoC - Sebestian

Yeah if they do a free trial I may have to look at that to see what its like again. As for Rifts it is still fun. I xcled my account though at the end of this month. Got 2 capped and a few others in the 20s-30s. Most my guild has either quit or went to other servers. Still one of the better games I have played. Liked having the roles and classes and the ability to make a char useful for many things. I am biding my time I guess till D3 and GW2 I guess, Even considered going back to GW so I can complete my HoM.

Originally posted by ThaFinest

See, I had a similar experience as you did, relocation and hardware failure, etc and this was one of the main reasons I left the game. If I remember correctly, I have a level 38 Paragon/Champion and didn't have any qualms about the game, I just didn't know if the general direction of the game was positive or negative. What's your in game name and what server are you on?

Currently on Briarcliff, Guardian cleric named Slaiyne. Decided to roll the oppposite faction this time around.

I played during head-start and through the first paid month, so about two months and two weeks played total my first go. I was able to get a Rogue and Cleric to 50. Both of them were geared in at least complete T2 gear. I say at least because my Rogue had quite a bit of PVP gear, which was at the time around Tier 2 with my ranking, and my Cleric was semi raid geared. I quit right after River of Souls launched, had the chance to raid in there a bit.

The direction of the game is extremely positive. Loads of added content. And not just new content, but new types of content. And the new zone really does look incredible. I haven't had the chance to go there yet, because my new cleric is only 40, but the concept, the videos, and the testimonies from current players is great, so I'm extremely excited.

Between the various rift types (expert, raid, crafting), the new stuff (to me) like slivers and instant adventures, the new zones.. well, basically there's loads of unique, dynamic, and interesting content waiting. Not to forget every time they add a new event, they're adding new rifts, as well, which is always refreshening because I'm one of the ones who love closing rifts as I'm leveling.

A lot of PVP changes seem to be happening, as well, and more warrior love, so your Paragon/Champion should be sitting pretty nice soon.

Also, just to touch, the community is still pretty decent, as well. The level channels (1-29; 30-49) can be filled with the typical Barrens-esque type chat at times, but in general, the community is still stomachable. You ask for help, you typically get a decent response. The only thing that gets me and I can't understand is why guilds don't seem to be very long term like other games, but maybe that's just from my experience with the guilds looking to recruit level 40s on my server.

Even the server-wide LFG is more enjoyable than other games with the feature. I've had plenty of random groups that were talkative, helpful, and didn't mind if you were a new tank/heals and needed help around the instance. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

If you need to be subbed to that many MMOs at once and are looking for more, you might want to consider you're not getting enough satisfaction from the ones you're already paying for. But ya, that's not really my business, just something to consider. Here's my experience with Rift, take it or leave it:

I recently subbed for a month to give the game a shot after a while, I hadn't played it since beta and wasn't impressed. I stuck it out to the end because I had a friend to play with, and it was fun, until I got to the end. There's just nothing to do. None of the quests offer good rewards, there's planar attunement to continue giving you a reason to level, but none of what you gain from it is particularly good; resistances that mean nothing and one point to a stat. The latter is cumulative, but it'll be a good long time before you accumulate enough through PA for it to influence you overall dps. Ember Isle is interesting, but difficult unless you're well-geared and once I got the gear to explore it, I found no real reason to; quests offered little beside exp, and whenever there was an invasion (which is often) I pretty much got facerolled as I never found many people playing there (I was on Faeblight btw, a high pop server).

It's a progression game that unfortunately locks progression out for far too many people. It's all about gear, which you're not going to get unless you're lucky enough to find a guild filled with people willing to carry you. You could craft nice gear to prepare yourself for raids, but you get 1 master craft a week, all recipes cost at least 2, the ones worthwhile are 5+. Planar gear is nice, except it'll cost you thousands of ISS to get there. Plaques from expert dungeons get you gear only really relevant to those dungeons, and unless you're playing the healing/support role, it's not going to benefit anyone to bring you along to the raid in anything less than gear gotten from marks of ascension. Which are gotten from raids. You get 2 from bonus dungeon runs, which you get to do once a day, and the cheapest piece of gear is 50 marks...so 1 month for a pair of boots. Tons of marks in raids but once again, chances are by the time someone will bring you along, you don't need it anymore.

The irony is I was actually enjoying the game until I got to 50. Once I got there, I lost interest. That was week 3 of 4 into my sub. The activities at 50 I still had fun with (for instance, the addition of Chronicals and Instant Adventures were great, I loved them) weren't really getting me much closer to playing with the guild I was initially in. I eventually left to find a more casual guild that doesn't care as much about gear, and I did, but that's a double-edged sword...they don't care, so they only do it once a week. Maybe. Paying a sub to do something once a week just wan't worth it for me.

I understand some people really enjoy this raid/gear treadmill, but...eh...I don't think I'd mind the treadmill as much if there was a reasonable way to prepare yourself with gear without the help of others, so that you could participate with your guild in the actual end-game content. But that's just not likely. After 3 weeks of playing HARD (crafting raid runs, dungeoning every day, tons of instant adventures, nevermind getting to 50 in 1 week), I got...enough ISS for 1 planar essence, enough plaques for the lowest of the lowest plaque gear (which wasn't even as good as the stuff from the dungeons), and one Marks pair of gloves. Which I only got because "Ascend a Friend" gave me some marks to start with. Up to you if you think all of the above sounds like fun or not.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

If you need to be subbed to that many MMOs at once and are looking for more, you might want to consider you're not getting enough satisfaction from the ones you're already paying for. But ya, that's not really my business, just something to consider. Here's my experience with Rift, take it or leave it:

I recently subbed for a month to give the game a shot after a while, I hadn't played it since beta and wasn't impressed. I stuck it out to the end because I had a friend to play with, and it was fun, until I got to the end. There's just nothing to do. None of the quests offer good rewards, there's planar attunement to continue giving you a reason to level, but none of what you gain from it is particularly good; resistances that mean nothing and one point to a stat. The latter is cumulative, but it'll be a good long time before you accumulate enough through PA for it to influence you overall dps. Ember Isle is interesting, but difficult unless you're well-geared and once I got the gear to explore it, I found no real reason to; quests offered little beside exp, and whenever there was an invasion (which is often) I pretty much got facerolled as I never found many people playing there (I was on Faeblight btw, a high pop server).

It's a progression game that unfortunately locks progression out for far too many people. It's all about gear, which you're not going to get unless you're lucky enough to find a guild filled with people willing to carry you. You could craft nice gear to prepare yourself for raids, but you get 1 master craft a week, all recipes cost at least 2, the ones worthwhile are 5+. Planar gear is nice, except it'll cost you thousands of ISS to get there. Plaques from expert dungeons get you gear only really relevant to those dungeons, and unless you're playing the healing/support role, it's not going to benefit anyone to bring you along to the raid in anything less than gear gotten from marks of ascension. Which are gotten from raids. You get 2 from bonus dungeon runs, which you get to do once a day, and the cheapest piece of gear is 50 marks...so 1 month for a pair of boots. Tons of marks in raids but once again, chances are by the time someone will bring you along, you don't need it anymore.

The irony is I was actually enjoying the game until I got to 50. Once I got there, I lost interest. That was week 3 of 4 into my sub. The activities at 50 I still had fun with (for instance, the addition of Chronicals and Instant Adventures were great, I loved them) weren't really getting me much closer to playing with the guild I was initially in. I eventually left to find a more casual guild that doesn't care as much about gear, and I did, but that's a double-edged sword...they don't care, so they only do it once a week. Maybe. Paying a sub to do something once a week just wan't worth it for me.

I understand some people really enjoy this raid/gear treadmill, but...eh...I don't think I'd mind the treadmill as much if there was a reasonable way to prepare yourself with gear without the help of others, so that you could participate with your guild in the actual end-game content. But that's just not likely. After 3 weeks of playing HARD (crafting raid runs, dungeoning every day, tons of instant adventures, nevermind getting to 50 in 1 week), I got...enough ISS for 1 planar essence, enough plaques for the lowest of the lowest plaque gear (which wasn't even as good as the stuff from the dungeons), and one Marks pair of gloves. Which I only got because "Ascend a Friend" gave me some marks to start with. Up to you if you think all of the above sounds like fun or not.

With all due respect, your entire thread sums up virtually every MMO with end-game progression currently out. While yes, the gear requirements and whatnot are one of the features of RIFT for progression, we've known that since launch. But the way you make it seem is that the only content currently out at 50 is the end-game raids. This is not the case.

I still have my original account, and it's reactivated. The reason I'm not playing it is due to on my return to the game, I wanted to start from scratch, and am still in the process. However, it is relatively easy getting into content upon logging onto my Rogue or Cleric, which at this point are only semi-geared in today's standards.

I'll say the same thing most people say when this topic is brought up: find a decent guild or group of people to play with, who cares if you're carried through the content (tho, honestly, once you gear up in the structured fashion, it's not much of an issue), who cares? Explore the content, enjoy yourself and forget the number crunching. 

Any MMO at end-game loses all interest if you look at it from this perspective. Leveling up, nobody ever really cares how your performance in groups scale. At end-game, tho, it turns into the typical elitist mindset when in a group setting. Don't let that be the case and enjoy yourself, and the content.

RIFT has not changed it's course in terms of the direction it's headed, but it has expanded horizontially, which I can appreciate, and most current MMO'ers should be able to, as well. If you are one of the ones who just absolutely despise the gear-grinding mentality at 50 as a form of progression, you might be better of waiting for some later titles. However, if you can get past that, and enjoy the content, RIFT is a lot of fun.

And maybe I'm seeing all these people around for invasions and events due to timing (the Carnival, RIFT Lite, etc), but I've been able to literally buy all planar gear from each zone without ever intentionally trying to grind it out. I guess experiences may vary, tho, which is why we typically get that disclaimer for online games.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Yeah if they do a free trial I may have to look at that to see what its like again.

March 8th through the 16th, all previously subbed accounts are going to be reactivated for free. Enjoy.

Joined - July 2004

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    My main issue with Rift is I had just quit wow and was looking for a change of scenery, and it was just another end game treadmill grind. I couldn't get myself up for it anymore.

Also, for all the supposed diversity amongst classes, you will get pigeon holed into a cookie cutter spec and rotation.

It's also macro to win. There's very little skull involved. You chain macro your entire rotation into a couple buttons, and mash them in succession for hours on end.

I know I sound like a hater... I guess I just can't play those types of MMO's anymore. If you like that sort of thing though, the raids and dungeons are well designed.

Originally posted by remyburke

Yeah if they do a free trial I may have to look at that to see what its like again.

March 8th through the 16th, all previously subbed accounts are going to be reactivated for free. Enjoy.

If I can only remember my acct info from that long ago or which eml address it was to.

Originally posted by drakaena

My main issue with Rift is I had just quit wow and was looking for a change of scenery, and it was just another end game treadmill grind. I couldn't get myself up for it anymore.

Also, for all the supposed diversity amongst classes, you will get pigeon holed into a cookie cutter spec and rotation.

It's also macro to win. There's very little skull involved. You chain macro your entire rotation into a couple buttons, and mash them in succession for hours on end.

I know I sound like a hater... I guess I just can't play those types of MMO's anymore. If you like that sort of thing though, the raids and dungeons are well designed.

Completely BS. I have a priest in raid gear and r4 who was never once a MH. He was always dps or I went Justi/sham when solo. I got a mage who can MH and has. So your statement is complete BS. Classes can be many things.