Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Food for Thoughts

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Sector13

GW2s system seems better IMO.

Too bad the graphics make it look like shit imo.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Jimmydean

So why should we play TERA, pay a Box and Sub fee, because they didn't have the development money to put in a good quest system?

TERA has a lot of competition coming into the market at the time it's going to, especially with GW2. GW2 doesn't charge a sub fee, and put in the development money to get rid of the linear quest grind.

So why would someone buy TERA over Guild Wars 2?

Because tera will be better than GW2.

OWPVP:  Tera = yes    GW2 = no

GUILD v GUILD:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

SERVER v SERVER: Tera = 4 way   GW2 = 3 way

SERVER INVASON:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

LAND CONTROL:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

COMBAT MECHANICS:  Tera = free aim   GW2 =  modified tab targeting

COLLISION DETECTION:  Tera = yes    GW2 = no.

UI COSTOMIZATION:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

DYE SYSTEM:  Tera > GW2

CASH SHOP:  Tera = no   GW2= yes

CITY DESIGN:  GW2 > Tera

PAYMENT METHOD:  GW2 > Tera

Could you show Tera's dye system? I have a hard time believing it is anything close to Guild Wars 2's, especially since this is the first time I have ever seen that it has one.

TERA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puGQFOL-qic

GW2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SU4dBn_RM

GW2s system seems better IMO.

I agree. Comparing the 2 of them, GW2's has a larger color variety and better ease of use.

• yoshimutuyoshimutu Member Posts: 10

So we have a TERA fanboy saying TERA's better and then talking shit about about people who like GW2? play both. But imo GW2 only just got out of Alpha and it's looking better then TERA.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by yoshimutu

So we have a TERA fanboy saying TERA's better and then talking shit about about people who like GW2? play both. But imo GW2 only just got out of Alpha and it's looking better then TERA.

And we also have GW2 fanboys on the Tera forum section talking shit because 98% of these trolls have not even played Gw2 and still they think its the best thing sense slice bread.   It's the same old crap we have seen over and over with games.   Community gets over hyped for a game that they have not even played only to be disappointed in the end.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Hmm I don't know. I really want to buy TERA. The subscription fee really kills it for me though. Why put myself through the horrible quest leveling, a means to an end as you call it, to get to the end game that no one knows what it is like? All the while, paying 15/month to do something I don't enjoy (leveling with quests).

I too like the combat system, but is it enough? I don't know yet.

well different preference. I prefer to lvl asap for end game, for me the joy is in lvling up not the process itself. Just like studying sucks but i do it because when i get good grade its good. Not great example since this is entertiment your paying for but i guess what i'm trying to get it is i don't mind the dull moment for those moment of excitment.

Originally posted by jacklo

I tend to agree that quests are simply a means to an end.

A game doesn't really start properly until end-game in an mmo, particularly if you enjoy PvP.

Yea this is how it has been in the past. But is it a good system? Is it really worth it to spend the time and the money, NOT having fun playing a game?

When GW2 promises fun the entire way, and also at end game? For less money?

It promise but no one know how it will go. For me i feel the total lack of a solid end game. Because if your lvl 1 or 80 when you go in they will scale you to the point. The scaling kill progressino and thats key for some while not ot other. I like the lvling/grind process and in the end i'm awarded with lvl and good gear. GW2 takes away that progression, i mean some like it personally i feel it might be a problem for me but i haven't play the game so i won't know.

Originally posted by fony

and another knife in the heart to Tera fanatics, GW2 does not require or rely on tab targeting. i didn't target anything, ever when i played it because at the time they had that stupid glow around everyting. 

further more, mike b compares the two games and comcludes that neither are tab target based but gw2 feels better since you can move and attack at the same time.

make less excuses, pick a softer target.

It doesn't have tab target but sure do have an auto target. Also moving while in combat just show more how much it relay on auto targetting. In the video the theif is not even facing the enemy yet all the shot just magically hom to the enemy that the person faced once. The free aiming only seem to be used for AOE or just showing off skilled, if face an enemy your auto targeting.

GW2 combat

Also guys i just read through like 2 pages of random trolling -.- please don't do that. Just because one side goes to troll doesn't mean the other should do the same.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Yet again a comparison between X game and GW2. You know, GW2 is really becoming WoW 2 in mainstream appeal (or repulse, depending on how you see it) and the game is not out.

First thing first. GW2 won't come out along with both TSW and Tera launching, unless they are utter fools. Reason one, the game is hardly ready, considering that they couldn't show the full thing even on the press. And we all know how reliable press is right? All we have to do is look SW:TOR's way. And reason two, what is is really happening, is that NCsoft trying to mess with Tera as much as possible, starting with that dead end lawsuit and continuing with this GW2 campaign, when they know fully well that the game won't be coming out before the end of summer.

Believe me, you'll be bored of Tera and lose some of your enthusiasm over TSW before GW2 comes out. Besides, what makes more sense, launching your game when two other MMOs are launching at the same period, or wait two months for the enthusiasm over those two to die down?

One last thing, both games have features in development, none of us have seen. Yet for those of you who lost your objectivity, it seems that what one developer promises is law, while the other is to be considered with lots of skeptisism. Which is funny really, because unless you actually see the whole product, all you're playing in your head is an idealised version of what you wish you were playing. And please, don't mention press, we know how well that worked for revealing all the shortcomings of SW:TOR.

Bottom line, if you're remotely interested in Tera, there is no reason not to try it. GW2 won't be launching any time soon.

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

Xasapis I know that makes sense what you're saying but the GW2 fanboi's wont listen. They still think their game is due in may. LOL a had this discussion earlier with a real life friend, and used the same reasoning you did for why GW2 wont be released until Q3 or Q4. From a business perspective why would they compete when after 3 months of waiting the market will be fresh and ready for its next BIG THING.

• azumaxazumax Member Posts: 1

I will just leave this here.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by azumax

excellent first post. I could probably take an in game shot of tera from a video phone and it would look like that gw2 post too. Neither of those pictures represent what either game is like when you are actually in game.

• santimiarsantimiar Member Posts: 129

I don't know too much about GW2 since i'm not really following it, but does GW2 have quests? If so, what makes the quests different from other MMO's quest?

Originally posted by santimiar

I don't know too much about GW2 since i'm not really following it, but does GW2 have quests? If so, what makes the quests different from other MMO's quest?

It doesn't have quests. It has dynamic events. Kind of like auto quests but for a purpose. Many ending in killing huge bosses and other things of the nature. Groups auto form for these events.

• santimiarsantimiar Member Posts: 129

so similar to Rift's rift where groups can autoform if you are fighting at the same rift?

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by rexzshadow

So the main complain about Tera is quest pretty much because well its pretty linear and standard. Valid crtitism and issue they need to address. But I feel like people should understand that in Tera is the way it is not because they want it that way but more to the line its the few choice they have.

I hope everyone realise how expansive making a mmorpg is, speically one as massive as Tera. These game aren't cheap, and for a starting Dev company like Blue Hole getting that money probably wasn't easy. So they are working with a very limited resource, and most of it is spent on polishing the combat. Its no easy task and even GW2 couldn't do the collison box detection Tera has.

Originally posted by NBlitz

Yes. GW2 was going for full collision detection much like TERA but they had to back down.

What they did do was make it that you have collision detection with the mob you have targeted and are fighting.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

http://vampiresbane.blogspot.com/2011/09/pax-guild-wars-2-overview-part-3-gw-2.html

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

So ya i mean quest is not as good as other current games but i mean there are reasons and hey they revamping 1-40 so at least they know their weakeness and is fixing it.

If you have issue with the combat i'll say this now, its not the game for you. There is no issue with the combat at all. Just the combat is not your taste and its perfectly fine. I mean this game is definally not for everyone, but i do hope people realise that they didn't skim on the quest coz they want to they kinda had to.

O this excuse doesn't work for SWTOR, they spend way too much money to release a game with that many issue -.-

I think a more Important question should be "DO THEY NEED TO BE". I take a grind any day and skipp all quests. I mean you level through it anyways? WHO in their RIGHT MINDS would play an MMORPG for the QUEASTS?

I think you should not be playing games in this genre If the Questing is why you play them. Questing was something that developers put into these games to make the levling less repetativ. It was so the WEAK and Feeble also could play them without breaking... into Tears because they wernt hardcore enough.

I stayed away from SWTOR becuase of the QUESTS and the lame STORY aspect on RAILS shity game that it is.

I would much rather BLUE HOLE put all their efforts into making more Sanbobox and communtity TOOLS instead of wasting development on something that I will only BLOW throguh anyways. I never read Quests I just click click and away with it.

There are many old Hardcore players like me who would jump right into TERA if it started focusing on PVP and Community tools...

Let the weak willed Carebears stay and play their PvE games like WoW and SWTOR. Make TERA like DARK SOULS, really hard and difficult and give us more GvsG and community tools and meaningfull CRAFTING at endgame... and shit will sort itself out.

THE QUEAST SYSTEM IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE GRIND!!!!

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by Zlayer77

So the main complain about Tera is quest pretty much because well its pretty linear and standard. Valid crtitism and issue they need to address. But I feel like people should understand that in Tera is the way it is not because they want it that way but more to the line its the few choice they have.

I hope everyone realise how expansive making a mmorpg is, speically one as massive as Tera. These game aren't cheap, and for a starting Dev company like Blue Hole getting that money probably wasn't easy. So they are working with a very limited resource, and most of it is spent on polishing the combat. Its no easy task and even GW2 couldn't do the collison box detection Tera has.

Yes. GW2 was going for full collision detection much like TERA but they had to back down.

What they did do was make it that you have collision detection with the mob you have targeted and are fighting.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

http://vampiresbane.blogspot.com/2011/09/pax-guild-wars-2-overview-part-3-gw-2.html

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

So ya i mean quest is not as good as other current games but i mean there are reasons and hey they revamping 1-40 so at least they know their weakeness and is fixing it.

If you have issue with the combat i'll say this now, its not the game for you. There is no issue with the combat at all. Just the combat is not your taste and its perfectly fine. I mean this game is definally not for everyone, but i do hope people realise that they didn't skim on the quest coz they want to they kinda had to.

O this excuse doesn't work for SWTOR, they spend way too much money to release a game with that many issue -.-

I think a more Important question should be "DO THEY NEED TO BE". I take a grind any day and skipp all quests. I mean you level through it anyways? WHO in their RIGHT MINDS would play an MMORPG for the QUEASTS?

I think you should not be playing games in this genre If the Questing is why you play them. Questing was something that developers put into these games to make the levling less repetativ. It was so the WEAK and Feeble also could play them without breaking... into Tears because they wernt hardcore enough.

I stayed away from SWTOR becuase of the QUESTS and the lame STORY aspect on RAILS shity game that it is.

I would much rather BLUE HOLE put all their efforts into making more Sanbobox and communtity TOOLS instead of wasting development on something that I will only BLOW throguh anyways. I never read Quests I just click click and away with it.

There are many old Hardcore players like me who would jump right into TERA if it started focusing on PVP and Community tools...

Let the weak willed Carebears stay and play their PvE games like WoW and SWTOR. Make TERA like DARK SOULS, really hard and difficult and give us more GvsG and community tools and meaningfull CRAFTING at endgame... and shit will sort itself out.

Well I feel like the quests can still be fun though if you get a good story line going. The part of an MMO"RPG" is making your own virtual character and progressing it through the game whether its quests, raiding, or just strictly PVPing. IMO, quests are a fun part of any MMO. I don't care for the classic, go here and kill 10 dragons, then go to the NPC and click Accept. I feel they need to start shying away from this progression. I enjoy games that have puzzles that you solve and it takes a little bit of thinking.

Originally posted by BethelsBoy

Well I feel like the quests can still be fun though if you get a good story line going. The part of an MMO"RPG" is making your own virtual character and progressing it through the game whether its quests, raiding, or just strictly PVPing. IMO, quests are a fun part of any MMO. I don't care for the classic, go here and kill 10 dragons, then go to the NPC and click Accept. I feel they need to start shying away from this progression. I enjoy games that have puzzles that you solve and it takes a little bit of thinking.

I prefer to make my own story. That doesn't require "sandbox" elements. It requires the necessity for a community to form. Group quests, Grouping, and Intricate Questing (Read: EQ/EQ2 epic quests), and Dynamic Events are making a swing back around. Unless developers want to continue spending money for 100k subscribers.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

how does "make my own story" works in GW 2?

if i complete some quests, will npc start talking about me when i walk around the city? will i be able to see NPCs talking about other players when they finished something? will entire city start talking about random players achieved xxx like in skyrim? 

Originally posted by jackwu10

if i complete some quests, will npc start talking about me when i walk around the city? will i be able to see NPCs talking about other players when they finished something? will entire city start talking about random players achieved xxx like in skyrim? 

I don't believe I said anything about Guild Wars 2? And it's an MMORPG. The "NPCs talking about random players" are supposed to be players talkin about other players. That's the point. People don't even know what MMORPGs mean anymore.

i personally would play both, play TERA in daily basis, cos since u paid for monthly sub, i need to play it everyday to make the money worth it! and GW2 i can just play during weekend since there's no monthly sub pressure :)

one thing about chose monthly sub TERA over GW2 is there will be a constant update of content, for free (well, u paid for monthyl sub)! for GW 2 is probably another 20 expansions down the line or 50 DLC for $10 each :S

I don't believe I said anything about Guild Wars 2? And it's an MMORPG. The "NPCs talking about random players" are supposed to be players talkin about other players. That's the point. People don't even know what MMORPGs mean anymore.

i am not bashing u or something :P chill~

i am just curious cos everyone's talking about  creating their own story in GW2!

but i agree with u, it suppose to be players talking about other players in mmo, problem is mmo world is so big, ppl dont really care about others except their own gears..

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

You basically have your own story line based on your race i think. No way would they do something like what you said because thats not just reasonable with the amount of player you have. By make your own story it means make your own story with the pre-made background or something.

I honlesty don't mind grinding if its resonable. I mean 3% a hr isn't exactly resonable. anything 10%+ i can live with. But for most its going to have to be somewhere around 50% ahr XD

I say focus more on the community yes, well i mean EME is doing a great job at putting stuff we requested. I mean NA already have Pve/PvE/RP server which Ktera doesn't. Our guild war was also changed from 4hr to 24hrs, and open world pvp mechanic was also changed. But they are trying to cater to both side of PvE and PvP although with PvE and PvP server that kinda solves a lot of conflic between PvP and PvE. As for sandbox wish its always good to have those elements but i don't how i feel about pure sandbox game. But certain sandbox elements is a must like player/guild housing and other fun stuff.

i am not bashing u or something :P chill~

i am just curious cos everyone's talking about  creating their own story in GW2!

but i agree with u, it suppose to be players talking about other players in mmo, problem is mmo world is so big, ppl dont really care about others except their own gears..

Yea it's kind of sad. In Everquest, my entire guild spent many hours helping our Clerics get their epic weapon. This doesn't happen anymore. The only way WoW was able to get legendary weapons to work, was to make the items for the legendaries drop off bosses you were going to kill anyways. No one cares about each other anymore, because you don't have to. Human nature I guess.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

excellent first post. I could probably take an in game shot of tera from a video phone and it would look like that gw2 post too. Neither of those pictures represent what either game is like when you are actually in game.

You've never played Tera before I'm guessing or have a bad system.  Because speaking from personal experience, Yes Tera does look that good with everything maxed out.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin

You've never played Tera before I'm guessing or have a bad system.  Because speaking from personal experience, Yes Tera does look that good with everything maxed out.

AMD 1100t 6core, radeon hd 6970, 16gigs ddr3 ram, 50000:1 resolution monitor. Played CBT2. Didn't look like that. If that computer isn't good enough for TERA, then I just don't know. Game just looked really bright and blurry. Not sharp at all.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Maybe it's an AMD issue? Because Tera indeed looks that good in my nvidia 580 and is ultra smooth too (that Elin model is the uncencored Korean one btw). I can't make a comparison to GW2, I am not in a beta to that game.

You also need to compare things that are not present in a screenshot, and that's how smooth the animation is, how the characters blend into the world and so on. Some games make for great screenshots, but they don't look that good when actually played. And you can of course have total scams, like SW:TOR and screenshots of high textures that are not available in game.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Tera put development in to getting rid of tab target combat. Which is lot harder ot do than getting rid of linear quest.

No idea why you believe that. Action based combat systems have exsisted longer then Public quest / dynamic events. 

Warhammer had public quests, dynamic events.   and so did Rift.   yet  none of those games seem to be doing the greatest now are they?