Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE players: large scale PvP more tolerable?

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

You can lose yourself in a large scale PvP and nobody will notice if you screw up. Nobody will tell you that you suck, but then again, nobody is there to pat you on the back either. Take League of Legends for example, you are one of just ten players in the field. In a sense one player represents one fifth of the teams power. You must carry your own weight for your team to succeed and if you don't you are sure to hear about it. People will notice your failures in E-sport PvP.

Then look at Eve and see if anyone gives shit about one Drake among 400 who might have shot other than the primary target. You can play, suck, enjoy the atmosphere of a large fight and still feel like you contributed when in reality your contribution was next to nothing. There's so many players involved that one player's triumphs or failures are rarely recognisable. It's easy.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by tixylix

I don't understand why people cannot like PVP other than they find it too hard to fight against anything other than dumb A.I. Just make a group with friends, turn off local chat, turn on mics and have a blast with mates killing other players which is much harder, challenging and more rewarding than any A.I I've played against in any game.

I don't understand why people like to PvP other than they can't fight in real life, thus they need to be in a  virtual world where they can "kill" other people's pixels without getting their ass physically handed to them.

Just sayin'.

Signed, a PvE'er.

I dont understand why people like to PVE progress other than in real life they perhaps have sucky or no job and probably no girlfriend, but the chance to acheive at following a script from some webpage with 39 other people lets them stand around showing off their shinnies to give them that sense of acheivment.

see what I did there mr amateur psycholgist.

People like PvP for the same reason they might play a pick-up game of basketball or touch football. Its a desire too compete.

PvE (football) = tackle dummy      PvP (football) = touch football game

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

I'm mostly a PvE player, but yes, large scale PvP is definitely more of a draw than Battlegrounds and especially Arenas, mainly because there is a lot more freedom too it... Arenas (in WoWs case at least) are just killing the other team, and in most cases the outcome it decided by gear / classes before the match even begins, and Battlegrounds while fun for a while get increadable repedative, and in most cases the fastest way to win is to avoid PvP... both of these types of PvP are also generally about Points Per Hour, which to me is not fun.

My next MMO is definitely going to be GW2, and one of things I'm most looking forward to is World v World; I doubt I'll even set foot in the Arenas / Battlegrounds.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

I don't understand why people cannot like PVP other than they find it too hard to fight against anything other than dumb A.I. Just make a group with friends, turn off local chat, turn on mics and have a blast with mates killing other players which is much harder, challenging and more rewarding than any A.I I've played against in any game.

I don't understand why people like to PvP other than they can't fight in real life, thus they need to be in a  virtual world where they can "kill" other people's pixels without getting their ass physically handed to them.

Just sayin'.

Signed, a PvE'er.

I dont understand why people like to PVE progress other than in real life they perhaps have sucky or no job and probably no girlfriend, but the chance to acheive at following a script from some webpage with 39 other people lets them stand around showing off their shinnies to give them that sense of acheivment.

see what I did there mr amateur psycholgist.

No. The answer is that while home from work,my girlfriend can blow me while I PvE without causing too many ingame problems. And when the neighbor talks shit because he's sees us though the window while he's passing by and gets jealous, I can walk outside to him and physically PvP with real consequences unlike pixel PvP'ers who have no girlfriends outside of their cousin Tilly ( who's not slow, just "underdeveloped" ) and couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack if you cut a hole in the bottom of it for them first.

See what I did thar?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

im a PVP player

I find large scale PVP most tolerable

I have no love for e"sport" type pvp in mmos, its pointless and substandard compared to the small scale PVP experience in FPS, RTS or MOBAs.  I really really dont get why pvpers pay a subscription fee to sit in a tuperware box all day grinding for PVP sets when they could be playing a FPS or RTS for free and have inheriently more of this "balance" thing that seems so important to this kind of PVPer.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't entirely understand the constant balance talks when they could just go play a console game and have it be 100% balanced. 

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Mardukk

im a PVP player

I have no love for e"sport" type pvp in mmos, its pointless and substandard compared to the small scale PVP experience in FPS, RTS or MOBAs.  I really really dont get why pvpers pay a subscription fee to sit in a tuperware box all day grinding for PVP sets when they could be playing a FPS or RTS for free and have inheriently more of this "balance" thing that seems so important to this kind of PVPer.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't entirely understand the constant balance talks when they could just go play a console game and have it be 100% balanced. 

THIS ^

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Cuathon

Another n00b that doesn't understand that RPGs are about character skill.

I couldve sworn that I wouldve flat out died if I didnt learn the tricks of some bosses in RPGs.  Like how youre supposed to use a phoenix down on the boss to kill it in FF7.  Or how you have to kill the thin guy first in Wild ARMS.

The only time it becomes strictly character skill is when you overlevel everything and can just pwn everything with a few regular attacks o.O OR if the characters move and control themselves while you just watch

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

im a PVP player

THIS.

While I am kinda mixed player (do both PvE and PvP - though more PvE I think) I agree with above.

For me e-sport arenas / BG  in mmorpg's gets boring fast.

I am not playing PvP in mmorpg to have 'e-sporty skill competition'. That just not the reason. Actually I dislike this in mmorpg's. I go to my old Warcraft 3 to get that kind of fix.

PvP in mmorpg for me ideallly should be as representation of conflict in virtual world , battling for resources ,etc + just for fun. 

Isolated arenas / battlegrouds actually are counterproductive to that.

I also don't care that much about balance - actually endless buff & nerfs and cries for balance do hurt mmorpg's more than help imo.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Battlegrounds and arenas are about stroking your epeen, open world is about you and your sides place in the world, instanced circle jerking has no interest for me.

Originally posted by fenistil

I also don't care that much about balance - actually endless buff & nerfs and cries for balance do hurt mmorpg's more than help imo.

Constant nerfs and buffs, even if they don't solve anything permanently, keep the game's metagame fresh atleast. I would get bored really fast if the game's balance would be locked in place. With perfect balance it would work, but in practice, perfect balance in impossible to achieve. It is a good goal to strive for though. What it certainly doesn't do is hurt the game.

The better the balance the better the game. Bad balance is sure to ruin the game.

Originally posted by Quirhid

Constant nerfs and buffs, even if they don't solve anything permanently, keep the game's metagame fresh atleast. I would get bored really fast if the game's balance would be locked in place. With perfect balance it would work, but in practice, perfect balance in impossible to achieve. It is a good goal to strive for though. What it certainly doesn't do is hurt the game.

The better the balance the better the game. Bad balance is sure to ruin the game.

You understand this as 1-0 game and I did not meant it like that.

I should be hmm more specific as well.

I guess it all depends WHAT KIND of mmorpg we are talking about.

If it is mmorpg that is focusing alot on e-sport / BG / Arenas then you're propably right.

I am not fan of that mmorpg's - I may make exception to GW2 though but well it is cause this game won't be gear dependant and secondly devs clearly state that they aim for e-sport PvP game.

So to the point then. 

In other mmorpg's - I enjoy group / large scale PvP - so for me balancing 1 v 1 is pointless and lead to homogenizing classes and down the line to dps / cc race. 

While SOME balacing is needed obviously - Imo some games went with bit too big focus on that and what's even worse they balanced 1v1 instead of balancing group vs group. 

That kind of balance should incorporate mechanics that allow smaller group to beat bigger one (to an extent of course - noone expect 10 person to beat 40 ppl , but 10 person beating 15-18 should be possible with good tactic / strategy) and for class vs class balance should be more of rock , paper , scissors type - instead of trying to achieve perfect 1v1 balance between all classes - which imo as I mentioned lead to homogenization ,dps / cc race and boredom and require MORE devs time and more frequent buffs & nerfs.

So while I understand that my opinion will not be shared / liked by people that enjoy first and foremost Battleground - 'even balanced teams' type of PvP.

Well .... sometimes it is just not possible to achieve compromise as certain things exclude themself.

Hope my stance is more understandable now.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I am a bout 60% PVE and 40% PvP.  

I like being able to be purprised by an enemy in a world at any time.

I hate when they are a crazy high level and can one shot people (why level / zone based games woth Free for all don't work as well)

I would order my preferences as:

1 - world PvP with a goal

2 - Larger battlegrounds with goals 

3 - Smaller Battle Grounds

1 - Areana PvP (although fun once in awhile it just seems so repetative)

I want to have a purpose and overall goal in mind and have the battle last long enough to use large scale tactics over twitchy play (I am sooo old though)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

You would get bored?  Don't you like to know where you stand with the character you're building?  Small tweaks are tolerable but game companies love to make sweeping changes.  Then there's the law of unintended consequences, one thing gets fixed and two other things get accidently broken so another patch is needed, ad infinitum.

The best litmus test I've noticed to see whether classes are reasonably balanced is watch the forums and see if players are arguing over who is the best and worst.  If everyone is in agreement then the balance is screwed up.  If there are 3-4 different opinions then you got something.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by RefMinor

Battlegrounds and arenas are about stroking your epeen, open world is about you and your sides place in the world, instanced circle jerking has no interest for me.

Me either.  The sad part is most games that offer open world PvP also have BG's and arenas.  In thier infinite wisdom, the game devs give rewards for the BG's and arenas and make open world PvP worthless.  Where do they think players are going to go?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The only problem with large scale PVP is you can end up having what WAR had was two zergs of ranged and healers in one massive group and if any melee stepped outside of that group they'd be kill in an instant. So melee was basically useless because you always had the no mans land in the middle where people got instantly killed.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

PvP e-sports are here to stay. The 2-faction open world PvP (a la WAR for example) needs to die. And even if the game provides PvP a la DAoC or the forthcoming GW2, a PvE player for the most part will focus on his/her PvE and once in a awhile run a PvP game.

Large scale PvP is fun when you have enough players on your side and on the other side of the fence. If it doesn't happen that way, players go back to their battlegrounds or PvE dungeons/raids, etc.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I rarely do PvP in MMOs, since it is mostly about harrasment and rage, which is not why I play games. Maybe if I was a 20 year old childgod in a guild with teamspeak and too much unused testosteron, I´d like to slice through random groups.

Currently playing Trackmania 2 online, it is a wonderful racing game. Endless tracks, good music, everyone driving the same car and most important: noone can harras you, because it is all about beating the opponents´ best time in X minutes, then all moving to the next track - with 50 people at once.

If it is mmorpg that is focusing alot on e-sport / BG / Arenas then you're propably right.

I am not fan of that mmorpg's - I may make exception to GW2 though but well it is cause this game won't be gear dependant and secondly devs clearly state that they aim for e-sport PvP game.

So to the point then. 

In other mmorpg's - I enjoy group / large scale PvP - so for me balancing 1 v 1 is pointless and lead to homogenizing classes and down the line to dps / cc race. 

While SOME balacing is needed obviously - Imo some games went with bit too big focus on that and what's even worse they balanced 1v1 instead of balancing group vs group. 

That kind of balance should incorporate mechanics that allow smaller group to beat bigger one (to an extent of course - noone expect 10 person to beat 40 ppl , but 10 person beating 15-18 should be possible with good tactic / strategy) and for class vs class balance should be more of rock , paper , scissors type - instead of trying to achieve perfect 1v1 balance between all classes - which imo as I mentioned lead to homogenization ,dps / cc race and boredom and require MORE devs time and more frequent buffs & nerfs.

So while I understand that my opinion will not be shared / liked by people that enjoy first and foremost Battleground - 'even balanced teams' type of PvP.

Well .... sometimes it is just not possible to achieve compromise as certain things exclude themself.

I didn't mean any specific type of balance. I'm all for rock, paper, scissors -balance. I actually prefer it. But as you can implement 1on1 balance badly, similarly you can implement RPS balance badly. At worst, one class is the same as one of the items in RPS and the game is filled with "hard counters". I'm sure I don't need to go into detail why that is bad.

You are just against bad balancing. I don't know anyone who would be against balancing the way I see it.

I do have an opinion on how the balancing should be done tho. Whatever the issue is, the rebalancing should be done more frequently than is the norm. Either finely tuning or with drastic changes depending on the severity - two maybe even three times a month.

Even if balance was one of the major focus points of the game, the hard thing about balance is that the developer should be the expert on it in their own game. And that is a shamefully rare thing. I know two companies that are particularly good in this: Arenanet and Riot Games. Both developers have had success in the E-sport front and that is no surprise. Arenanet created one of the most balanced games I've seen in the genre with Guild Wars 1. And I'm hoping they'll continue with that in GW2.

Riot has done a decent job with League of Legends although one must admit that the ability to ban champions before matches is sort of a cop-out balance-wise and they constantly and quite shamefully make their new champions deliberatelly overpowered to boost their sales and only bring them back in-line with the other champions after the novelty has faded. They obviously know what they're doing tho. Unlike companies like Mythic, CCP, Funcom and too many others. Either they knowingly neglect balance or they simply don't know what they're doing.

PvE doesn't suffer much from bad balance and there's always something else to blame in open world PvP (gank, zerg etc.) but it is absolutely crippling for competitive PvP. You may not pay much attention to balance, but I do because it affects me more.

I could write pages and pages on balance but this is getting off-topic. I hope you understand me better now. image

Originally posted by dave6660

You would get bored?  Don't you like to know where you stand with the character you're building?  Small tweaks are tolerable but game companies love to make sweeping changes.  Then there's the law of unintended consequences, one thing gets fixed and two other things get accidently broken so another patch is needed, ad infinitum.

The best litmus test I've noticed to see whether classes are reasonably balanced is watch the forums and see if players are arguing over who is the best and worst.  If everyone is in agreement then the balance is screwed up.  If there are 3-4 different opinions then you got something.

One thing I've learned is that customer is not always right. Infact I'd say the customer is more often wrong than right. It takes skill to understand not what they are saying but why they are saying it.

So to the point then. 

I didn't mean any specific type of balance. I'm all for rock, paper, scissors -balance. I actually prefer it. But as you can implement 1on1 balance badly, similarly you can implement RPS balance badly. At worst, one class is the same as one of the items in RPS and the game is filled with "hard counters". I'm sure I don't need to go into detail why that is bad.

You are just against bad balancing. I don't know anyone who would be against balancing the way I see it.

I do have an opinion on how the balancing should be done tho. Whatever the issue is, the rebalancing should be done more frequently than is the norm. Either finely tuning or with drastic changes depending on the severity - two maybe even three times a month.

Even if balance was one of the major focus points of the game, the hard thing about balance is that the developer should be the expert on it in their own game. And that is a shamefully rare thing. I know two companies that are particularly good in this: Arenanet and Riot Games. Both developers have had success in the E-sport front and that is no surprise. Arenanet created one of the most balanced games I've seen in the genre with Guild Wars 1. And I'm hoping they'll continue with that in GW2.

Riot has done a decent job with League of Legends although one must admit that the ability to ban champions before matches is sort of a cop-out balance-wise and they constantly and quite shamefully make their new champions deliberatelly overpowered to boost their sales and only bring them back in-line with the other champions after the novelty has faded. They obviously know what they're doing tho. Unlike companies like Mythic, CCP, Funcom and too many others. Either they knowingly neglect balance or they simply don't know what they're doing.

PvE doesn't suffer much from bad balance and there's always something else to blame in open world PvP (gank, zerg etc.) but it is absolutely crippling for competitive PvP. You may not pay much attention to balance, but I do because it affects me more.

I could write pages and pages on balance but this is getting off-topic. I hope you understand me better now. image

Well for me 2-3 times rebalancing per month is horrid ,but well then I don't care about e-sport in mmorpg's at all.

I actually think it is mistake to try to fit large scale pvp and e-sport in one game. 

Well at least if one of those is not more than total side-game ,like it seems WvWvW will be in GW2. (does not mean that it won't be fun & played often - but defintely won't be balanced )

Imo there is no possiblity to have meaningful e-sport and meaningful open group vs group balance in one game. 

Riot Games and LoL - well I understand but I don't care about that game at all and for me this game has no more connection to mmorpg's than car racing game.

Of course you like e-sport and cause you look for that thing in mmorpg's and that is in form of arenas / BG then I can see how LoL and other MOBA's can be related to it.

-------------------

WoW and some similar mmorppg's try or tried to merge open pvp ,large scale PvP , e-sport PvP and progress gear-type PvE - all in one game. And imo that backfires. 

Of course publishers want most diverse audience possible that's why they do that ,but imo that stopped working.

But I will stop here - I could like you write pages upon pages on that topic and still this topic would be only barely scratched.

Besides that would be derailing :)

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

The only problem with large scale PVP is you can end up having what WAR had was two zergs of ranged and healers in one massive group and if any melee stepped outside of that group they'd be kill in an instant. So melee was basically useless because you always had the no mans land in the middle where people got instantly killed.

Long range vs. melee balance is always very important. I remember times in DAoC when melees could become nearly CC immune due to realm abilities. And since DAoC used a ruptable cast system you simply couldnt do anything to get them off your arse. You just tried to run away which was impossible and watched yourself die over and over again ;).

In the beginning of DAoC it was the same as for WAR. Casters were just overpowered and it was impossible to reach them.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Not sure if it's been touched upon yet because I only read the first page of comments, but while I can't speak for everyone, as a PvE'er myself, its the attitudes of PvP'ers that turn me off to it.

People get way more competitive and emotional over PvP than I really care for.They get angry when they lose, insult their own teams over the simplest of mistakes, act like d-bags when they win, and half the time run from a fair fight.

Basically, esport PvP (at least as far as I've experienced) lacks any kind of sportsmanship at all.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

im a PVP player

THIS.

While I am kinda mixed player (do both PvE and PvP - though more PvE I think) I agree with above.

For me e-sport arenas / BG  in mmorpg's gets boring fast.

I am not playing PvP in mmorpg to have 'e-sporty skill competition'. That just not the reason. Actually I dislike this in mmorpg's. I go to my old Warcraft 3 to get that kind of fix.

PvP in mmorpg for me ideallly should be as representation of conflict in virtual world , battling for resources ,etc + just for fun. 

Isolated arenas / battlegrouds actually are counterproductive to that.

This is pretty much how I feel.   If I want to play a sporting event I will go play one.  To me, MMORPGs and E-Sports are a paradox.   MMORPGs are about character development.  E-Sports are supposed to be about balance and fair teams.  Unless both teams have access to the same characters then the balance is an illusion.  If there were one game I could create a sequel to it would be DAoC.   In my opinion they just got the PvP right.  I actually LOVED the fact that the realms were not mirrors of each other.  A new DAoC with a robust network engine and upgraded graphics would be my ultimate dream.

Behind that (closely) would be a shadowbane with similarly upgraded backbone/coding and graphics.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

As a PvE player almost exclusively I was wondering what other PvE players find to be the more tolerable form of PvP.  I definitely feel that PvP with a larger purpose would appeal more to the PvE player rather than arenas and e sport PvP.

If what I suspect is true, why do developers continue to focus so much on E Sport/Arena style PvP when they could possible grab a more significant piece of the pie with more focus on large scale PvP?

I could even so myself subing to a Shadowbane type game if there was a large common goal to work towards rather than killing each other over and over for nothing.  Do you think GW2 would fill this Shawdowbane type void?

I am guessing because since WoW..most of the playerbase is from console gaming where stat boards and PvP competition is high and players want to be #1.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Goatgod76

As a PvE player almost exclusively I was wondering what other PvE players find to be the more tolerable form of PvP.  I definitely feel that PvP with a larger purpose would appeal more to the PvE player rather than arenas and e sport PvP.

If what I suspect is true, why do developers continue to focus so much on E Sport/Arena style PvP when they could possible grab a more significant piece of the pie with more focus on large scale PvP?

I could even so myself subing to a Shadowbane type game if there was a large common goal to work towards rather than killing each other over and over for nothing.  Do you think GW2 would fill this Shawdowbane type void?

I am guessing because since WoW..most of the playerbase is from console gaming where stat boards and PvP competition is high and players want to be #1.

It has nothing to do with console gamers. Its the FPS crowd you're thinking of. FPS' exist, and are widely popular on both PC and consoles.

I dont know where this whole consoles vs PC argument came from.