Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Food for Thoughts

rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

So the main complain about Tera is quest pretty much because well its pretty linear and standard. Valid crtitism and issue they need to address. But I feel like people should understand that in Tera is the way it is not because they want it that way but more to the line its the few choice they have.

I hope everyone realise how expansive making a mmorpg is, speically one as massive as Tera. These game aren't cheap, and for a starting Dev company like Blue Hole getting that money probably wasn't easy. So they are working with a very limited resource, and most of it is spent on polishing the combat. Its no easy task and even GW2 couldn't do the collison box detection Tera has.

Originally posted by NBlitz

Yes. GW2 was going for full collision detection much like TERA but they had to back down.

What they did do was make it that you have collision detection with the mob you have targeted and are fighting.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

http://vampiresbane.blogspot.com/2011/09/pax-guild-wars-2-overview-part-3-gw-2.html

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

So ya i mean quest is not as good as other current games but i mean there are reasons and hey they revamping 1-40 so at least they know their weakeness and is fixing it.

If you have issue with the combat i'll say this now, its not the game for you. There is no issue with the combat at all. Just the combat is not your taste and its perfectly fine. I mean this game is definally not for everyone, but i do hope people realise that they didn't skim on the quest coz they want to they kinda had to.

O this excuse doesn't work for SWTOR, they spend way too much money to release a game with that many issue -.-

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

So why should we play TERA, pay a Box and Sub fee, because they didn't have the development money to put in a good quest system?

TERA has a lot of competition coming into the market at the time it's going to, especially with GW2. GW2 doesn't charge a sub fee, and put in the development money to get rid of the linear quest grind.

So why would someone buy TERA over Guild Wars 2?

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Jimmydean

This is the problem with having an overblown market.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

So why should we play TERA, pay a Box and Sub fee, because they didn't have the development money to put in a good quest system?

TERA has a lot of competition coming into the market at the time it's going to, especially with GW2. GW2 doesn't charge a sub fee, and put in the development money to get rid of the linear quest grind.

Its personal taste really. I find the combat worth it, other people as well and there people who don't find it worth it, To me quest barely matter, its a means to a end for me so i don't give  damn if quest is standard or fancy with voice over or dynamic event.

Tera has lot of competition so does other games as well. GW2 put money in to development ot get rid of linear quest, Tera put development in to getting rid of tab target combat. Which is lot harder ot do than getting rid of linear quest.

Different people had different taste, some find Tera worht it some not.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Tera put development in to getting rid of tab target combat. Which is lot harder ot do than getting rid of linear quest.

No idea why you believe that. Action based combat systems have exsisted longer then Public quest / dynamic events. 

Its personal taste really. I find the combat worth it, other people as well and there people who don't find it worth it, To me quest barely matter, its a means to a end for me so i don't give  damn if quest is standard or fancy with voice over or dynamic event.

Tera has lot of competition so does other games as well. GW2 put money in to development ot get rid of linear quest, Tera put development in to getting rid of tab target combat. Which is lot harder ot do than getting rid of linear quest.

Different people had different taste, some find Tera worht it some not.

Hmm I don't know. I really want to buy TERA. The subscription fee really kills it for me though. Why put myself through the horrible quest leveling, a means to an end as you call it, to get to the end game that no one knows what it is like? All the while, paying 15/month to do something I don't enjoy (leveling with quests).

I too like the combat system, but is it enough? I don't know yet.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I tend to agree that quests are simply a means to an end.

A game doesn't really start properly until end-game in an mmo, particularly if you enjoy PvP.

Originally posted by jacklo

A game doesn't really start properly until end-game in an mmo, particularly if you enjoy PvP.

Yea this is how it has been in the past. But is it a good system? Is it really worth it to spend the time and the money, NOT having fun playing a game?

When GW2 promises fun the entire way, and also at end game? For less money?

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

So the main complain about Tera is quest pretty much because well its pretty linear and standard. Valid crtitism and issue they need to address. But I feel like people should understand that in Tera is the way it is not because they want it that way but more to the line its the few choice they have.

I hope everyone realise how expansive making a mmorpg is, speically one as massive as Tera. These game aren't cheap, and for a starting Dev company like Blue Hole getting that money probably wasn't easy. So they are working with a very limited resource, and most of it is spent on polishing the combat. Its no easy task and even GW2 couldn't do the collison box detection Tera has.

Originally posted by NBlitz

Yes. GW2 was going for full collision detection much like TERA but they had to back down.

What they did do was make it that you have collision detection with the mob you have targeted and are fighting.

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

http://vampiresbane.blogspot.com/2011/09/pax-guild-wars-2-overview-part-3-gw-2.html

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

So ya i mean quest is not as good as other current games but i mean there are reasons and hey they revamping 1-40 so at least they know their weakeness and is fixing it.

If you have issue with the combat i'll say this now, its not the game for you. There is no issue with the combat at all. Just the combat is not your taste and its perfectly fine. I mean this game is definally not for everyone, but i do hope people realise that they didn't skim on the quest coz they want to they kinda had to.

O this excuse doesn't work for SWTOR, they spend way too much money to release a game with that many issue -.-

poor spin job. they added it to targeted foes after further testing, because you could dogde right through an enemy in pvp.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Yea this is how it has been in the past. But is it a good system? Is it really worth it to spend the time and the money, NOT having fun playing a game?

GW2 looks fun at first but it has nothing to stride for and you can start the fun from level one, once I get to 80 itll just feel like I beat the game and ill just slowly get bored and stop playing.

and another knife in the heart to Tera fanatics, GW2 does not require or rely on tab targeting. i didn't target anything, ever when i played it because at the time they had that stupid glow around everyting. 

further more, mike b compares the two games and comcludes that neither are tab target based but gw2 feels better since you can move and attack at the same time.

make less excuses, pick a softer target.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

GW2 looks fun at first but it has nothing to stride for and you can start the fun from level one, once I get to 80 itll just feel like I beat the game and ill just slowly get bored and stop playing.

as opposed to getting bored of tera before you even hit level cap, like millions have done already.

It depends on how long it takes to level up really.

In a new game, questing/levelling up introduces you to the nuances of the game. It teaches you the new skills that you aquire, the fundamentals of character control, gives you an introduction to crafting and so on.

I don't enjoy a massive grind, expecially when all I want to do is PvP, but I do appreciate a little hand-holding at the start to familiarise myself with a new game.

In a new game, questing/levelling up introduces you to the nuances of the game. It teaches you the new skills that you aquire, the fundamentals of character control, gives you an introduction to crafting and so on.

I don't enjoy a massive grind, expecially when all I want to do is PvP, but I do appreciate a little hand-holding at the start to familiarise myself with a new game.

Do you even know how many levels there are in TERA? Much more than an introduction to skills.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Because tera will be better than GW2.

OWPVP:  Tera = yes    GW2 = no

GUILD v GUILD:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

SERVER v SERVER: Tera = 4 way   GW2 = 3 way

SERVER INVASON:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

LAND CONTROL:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

COMBAT MECHANICS:  Tera = free aim   GW2 =  modified tab targeting

COLLISION DETECTION:  Tera = yes    GW2 = no.

UI COSTOMIZATION:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no

DYE SYSTEM:  Tera > GW2

CASH SHOP:  Tera = no   GW2= yes

CITY DESIGN:  GW2 > Tera

PAYMENT METHOD:  GW2 > Tera

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

LINEAR QUEST GRIND: TERA = YES   GW2 = NO

SUBSCRIPTION FEE: TERA = YES   GW2= NO

OPTION BETWEEN TAB TARGET, OR FREE AIM:  TERA = NO    GW2 = YES

DYNAMIC WORLD EVENTS: TERA = NO   GW2 = YES

SCALING CONTENT:  TERA = NO   GW2 = YES

SIDEKICK SYSTEM TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS:  TERA = NO   GW2 = YES

PERSISTENT WVW COMBAT AREA: TERA = NO   GW2 = YES

You're right, this game IS fun! I can play too.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

You are about to bring down the wrath of the 5 million GW2 fanboi's, but it is refreshing to see someone point out that GW2 is not the perfect MMO every fanboi is hyping it to be.

EDIT: Fanboi attacked before I could even finish my post. 

Originally posted by Clocksimus

You are about to bring down the wrath of the 5 million GW2 fanboi's, but it is refreshing to see someone point out that GW2 is not the perfect MMO every fanboi is hyping it to be.

Haha I'm far from a fanboi. I'm trying to decide which, or both, game I should buy. I still haven't heard a good reason to pay a subscription fee for TERA vs buying GW2.

What do i care, they are nothing but sheep in my eye's.

WORLD DESIGN:  Tera = persistent  GW2 =  instance w/ loading screens

OPTIMATION:  Tera > GW2

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

SERVER v SERVER: Tera = 4 way   GW2 = 3 way - TERAs is not impletmented yet.

SERVER INVASON:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no - Not implemented yet.

COMBAT MECHANICS:  Tera = free aim   GW2 =  modified tab targeting - been noted by people who got to play it that it's not just modified tab targeting

COLLISION DETECTION:  Tera = yes    GW2 = no. - only to mobs you are in combat with.

UI COSTOMIZATION:  Tera = yes   GW2 = no - Evidence that GW2 doesnt have it?

DYE SYSTEM:  Tera > GW2 - opinion based answer

CASH SHOP:  Tera = no   GW2= yes  - You forget that they are adding chronoscrolls.

CITY DESIGN:  GW2 > Tera - Also opinion based

PAYMENT METHOD:  GW2 > Tera - can't argue with no sub

Not to mention it took TERA over a year to add 2 of the features mentioned here and some of the others not even implemented yet in Korea.

Do you even know how many levels there are in TERA? Much more than an introduction to skills.

I know very little about TERA apart from what I've seen in the last couple days beta.

If it turns out to be anything like AION was to level up, it's not the game for me. My post was in reply to another specific post and headed by the sentence "It depends how long it takes to level up".

In retrospect, the most enjoyable levelling experience I ever had was in Warhammer Online, almost exclusively in PvP.

Yeah, talk about outright bullcrap. Try again.

Originally posted by Sector13

Yeah, talk about outright bullcrap. Try again.

Nah Stayontarget is pretty good at predicting how good games are going to be. I remember him talking up Darkfall Online before that released. Whew, that game took the world by storm.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Could you show Tera's dye system? I have a hard time believing it is anything close to Guild Wars 2's, especially since this is the first time I have ever seen that it has one.

Originally posted by romanator0

Could you show Tera's dye system? I have a hard time believing it is anything close to Guild Wars 2's, especially since this is the first time I have ever seen that it has one.

TERA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puGQFOL-qic

GW2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SU4dBn_RM

GW2s system seems better IMO.

Originally posted by romanator0

Standard dye's video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1AGNvMqMo4  There are also dye's that have color sliders so you can scale through every color specturm.

Dressing room fuction:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q87sdChsanw&feature=related