Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The animations in this game are seriously awful.

clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

The actual game itself is awsome, and I love the way the soul system is set up. That being said, the animations are almost as bad as Runescapes. This doesn't make any sense to me because the textures and graphics are very good. Nothing is more anti-climatic as riding on a Vaiyuu mount.

Why?

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtj_MiIb1pU

Comments

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484
    Compared to what games... seems on par with other AAA mmo's.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by clbembry

The actual game itself is awsome, and I love the way the soul system is set up. That being said, the animations are almost as bad as Runescapes. This doesn't make any sense to me because the textures and graphics are very good. Nothing is more anti-climatic as riding on a Vaiyuu mount.

Why?

if i could answer that, i might be rolreplaying a char in some mmo, but shit happens, as we say in danish, you cant blow and have shit in your mouth. (mel)

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

im sorry for my short answer im a bit drunjk ;)

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

Why?

agreed... the animations are really bad. might be the worst aspect of the Rift  gaming experience for me. the character and weapon models are decent but then they animate and i go "ummm ewwww". my friends, who had tried the trial before me, mentioned how bad they were but i kinda disregarded them cuz i wanted to have an openmind when i started... but ya, they were right - surprisingly bad

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

I dont really have an issue with the animations, though I wish spell effects had much more flash. It has no effect on my enjoyment of the game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Animations in mmo's can be a tricky thing to make work. For instance look at swtor has some decent animations but many(especially melee) don't even look like you are hitting the enemy at all unless you stand directly infront of the enemy and trade blows. Same problem with tera some nice flashy animations but they aren't connected really to the enemy just a straight path the animation follows.  Most games go more basic so it's easier to make the combat flow better. For me Rift's animation while bland are better than average and serve their purpose just fine... I'm looking forward to blade & soul since it's one of the only upcomming MMO game I have seen that really allows you to "connect" with npc's and do combos and such for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtA1jSreK84.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65

the animations didnt seem to bad to me minus the no sheathe one...why not is that hard? BUt i do have a problem with there character models not like completly ugly or anything they just seem soo..flat like the armor on mathosian is their skin and giant shoulders that dwarf the rest of their armor IMO but other wise solid game and its not bad enough for me not to play just saying.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

disable direct cache and direct memory access should help you(intel)not sure if amd is affected but intel is i got a 2500k and those need to be disabled or other part of computer dont function well ,they WILL function but you wont like it!op also the fact you didnt supply a counter to your original post (compared to what game )means this is just a personal feling)yes there are better animation in other game but most often the issue with various game isnt graphic but aesthetic!and game maker are just  beginning to take very small baby crawl toward aesthetic quality.till then we re stuck with what we have now

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177

Why?

Ikr, that was that main reason i never went for that game, i even entered the Cb n stuff but got disapointed by the combat animation n others in general

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Deathenger

I dont really have an issue with the animations, though I wish spell effects had much more flash. It has no effect on my enjoyment of the game.

because u probably never played melee classes? i tried every class and i did find out that the spell class animations were actually ok

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Puremallace

So is this a go play WoW or GW2 thread?

The guy is upset because his female charactres can not wiggle her butt like a stripper in Tera.

lol, probably.  I left because it was too easy and solable... I liked it but it wasn't very challenging.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by ElderRat

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Puremallace

So is this a go play WoW or GW2 thread?

The guy is upset because his female charactres can not wiggle her butt like a stripper in Tera.

lol, probably.  I left because it was too easy and solable... I liked it but it wasn't very challenging.

so you like boys 2 men instead ?

bit curious.

Let's internet

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

They probably had to dumb down the animations due to FPS lag in public raids. In big raids, it gets pretty bad.

My set up is not awesome, but I expected better than what I see. I am running an HD6850 and 4GB RAM and enven on Medium video settings,  I am lucky to see double digit frame rates in a zone event boss fight.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

I dont like the game as its so heavily raid orientated

but...  I think the graphics are pretty good for a MMO, OP is being somewhat unfair.  Can't think of many released games that look better, AOC, possibly AION, maybe WAR on a par.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

I find Rift an exercise in tediousness and boredom but I do like the graphics, and haven't noticed anything wrong or bad with the animations.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Reehay

Why?

agreed... the animations are really bad. might be the worst aspect of the Rift  gaming experience for me. the character and weapon models are decent but then they animate and i go "ummm ewwww". my friends, who had tried the trial before me, mentioned how bad they were but i kinda disregarded them cuz i wanted to have an openmind when i started... but ya, they were right - surprisingly bad

Yea this was the main reason I only lasted 3 months in Rift, well that and a lack of total support for their Dynamic events.  Basically the game tryed to be WoW and wasnt good enough to be.  If Rift would of concentrated on some of their open world stuff I would of stuck around longer but I was seriously bored of running 5 man dungeons and Raiding as it was and that was the only meaningful progression they delivered on.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Why?

I think the animations are as good if not better than most MMOs.  What is riding a Vaiyuu mount a climatic experience anyway?  

It's a really tall mount that moves slow so it's going to be somewhat awkward looking.

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Speaking strictly animations it is very subpar when compared to other AAA mmo's.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I found the animations to add further to the disconnect I found with my chars, it was a soulless game, I played for 2 months and was seriously bored at 4 weeks byt kept trying for another month, it completly left me unengaged and not caring about my avatars.

that said I have friends still playing so "horses for courses" I found it a very flat game but others dont, so this post is a my opinion piece.

Speaking strictly animations it is very subpar when compared to other AAA mmo's.

examples please? EQ2 animations were horrid, so were LOTRO, AoC has one of the worst jumping animations I have ever seen in a game.. although the combat ones in AoC are decent. Vanguards are pretty bad... what game that are you refering to? I mean I guess you could say COH or DCUO but those are differn't type of games.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

examples please? EQ2 animations were horrid, so were LOTRO, AoC has one of the worst jumping animations I have ever seen in a game.. although the combat ones in AoC are decent. Vanguards are pretty bad... what game that are you refering to? I mean I guess you could say COH or DCUO but those are differn't type of games.

EverQuest 2 was released in 2004. This is 7 years later, although WoW's animations do trump Rifts. Even if I can't rattle off 15 differen't MMO's that have better animations, it mean Rifts animations aren't awful for a game released a year ago.

EverQuest 2 was released in 2004. This is 7 years later, although WoW's animations do trump Rifts. Even if I can't rattle off 15 differen't MMO's that have better animations, it mean Rifts animations aren't awful for a game released a year ago.

I would settle for just 2 or 3.. and wow's really? wow's are as basic as they get as well. Rift's aren't anything special but are no worse than any other AAA game

Having played both games, the animations in WoW are far superior to Rifts.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

<>

I like AoC's animations as they are motion capped so they're as close to real life as technically possible. But I think the problem with what you said is when you are able to jump while running (vid). That right there looks bad. If I'm running and I make a jump (it becomes a leap?) it doesn't look like that haha.

Having played both games, the animations in WoW are far superior to Rifts.

I played both games for a pretty good length of time and many of the animations are pretty much the exact same. I mean it doesn't say much for Rift since wow is so old now but to say wows is better is silly to me.. some games with better would be like Aion and some of the f2p asian games.. but not wows