Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lead PvP designer discuss PvP in SWTOR

Comments

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by mbrodie

First off yes it does - it said at level 30 i unlock my legacy system.. i hit level 30 and it says legacy system coming soon, thats something that should have shipped with the game and been core featureset... it's in there it's just incomplete.

and swtor didnt innovate anything, outdated and non properly functioning UI from 2000 even SWG had a better UI in it, what didnt function do you ask, raid frames were broken, UI didnt translate global cooldown properly (and i'm not just talking about people not being able to comprehend the visual), no onscreen popups for "procced" abilities, the game is a action bar watcher and they made no attempt to try and innovate the UI to begin with - if you're going to make something uncustomizable for example the UI make it functional, i'm going to use this as an example because it's a good example of a non customizable to most degree UI and thats GW2 - it might not be highly if at all customizable but it's functional and doesnt require you to watch your action bar, thats a big thing i actually have situational awareness i like things to be on my screen for me to react not  have to watch my actionbar just incase.

you can disagree all you want, but at the end of the day all the things people are still complaining about now were also getting complained about during beta with no attempt to remedy the situation including the bugs they have just been fixing getting reporpted upto 8 months before launch.. but apparently ignored to spend time hyping the game and not releasing a release quality product.

go on and say that it's "the most polished game at launch ever" not even close - broken UI, broken combat and relaying of global cooldown from client to server which was acknowledged before launch with a fix in the works, broken quests, broken companions, half assed crafting, no legacy system, content pulled from beta before launch... 

People dont have a weird vision or narrowmindedness, it's 2012 not 2004 we have a bigger expecatiation of how something should function at launch, compared to what we keep getting spoonfed at launch. 

This is going way too far off the OP topic or even my own initial posts, which were about people conveniently ignoring DAoC when it didn't fit their black/white viewpoint of things. But for the sake of the argument, I'll answer shortly even if this has little to do with my own posts: legacy system, you may not like it, but you get your family name to use and they alrdy said they intended to do more with it. Don't like it, sure, but this has nothing to do with the innovation discussion we were talking about. Moving on. I already gave my view on why some people complain, I think I hit it pretty much on the spot. Not going to repeat my same argument there, and yes, I know that you'll always have people that'll complain no matter what. As for the rest, aaw man, I'm not even gonna bother, it's just another rant of someone who can't stick to the topic discussed and just derails to vent their frustration or hate/dislikes of a game. Same old stuff, tiresome.

Since with every post our discussion goes farther and farther away from the OP topic or even what I was discussing initially, I'm not going to indulge such complain ranting any further and leave it at this. My first post was merely meant to correct what someone else was stating, after that it seems people come up with arguments in their replies that have less and less to do with the OP topic or even my own posts, so it's time to go back to OP topic.

Originally posted by headphones

Originally posted by Teala

Is it any wonder that the PvP in this game is in such bad shape? Watch this video and listen to the guy in charge.

PvP Lead Design Interview <<< clicky

At 5:07 in the video he discusses kill trading. Sad.

i think this is a fake. i mean, there's no way swtor even HAS a pvp design team.

bahahahaha win!

I think this says it all. People not really wanting to discuss things, but going for the cheap and easy bashing/trashtalking route again of a game they hate/dislike. Same old, same old -_-

actually, it's valid. i'm a big lover of pvp. give me an mmo and you'll find me running in the pvp ring as soon as it unlocks. my wife and i are more into the pvp side of a game than anything else. i don't care how bad a game's "story" is. don't care how bad its graphics are. don't care if there's hie-res or not. i don't care if the raids are good (i don't do them). i care only that the pvp is fun.

and pvp in swtor?

what pvp?

it's an awful system. many games have added pvp as a kind of flippant gesture to their customers, but this was without doubt the most flippant and the worst gesture i've ever witnessed. in fact, it could only be made worse if they had made your pvp experience on rails like their space experience.

though, now i think about it, it might've been more fun.

there is no way - NO WAY - there was a pvp design team. no way. if there was, they should all be fired for spending too much time drinking and no time designing. the only valid solution i can think of is they gave the pvp design job to a secretary or the 60-yr old janitor.

but i doubt that, too, because i reckon the janitor would've done a better job.

and if you can seriously counter that criticism, then i'll be forced to question your fashion sense.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by headphones

<  
    actually, it's valid. i'm a big lover of pvp. give me an mmo and you'll find me running in the pvp ring as soon as it unlocks. my wife and i are more into the pvp side of a game than anything else. i don't care how bad a game's "story" is. don't care how bad its graphics are. don't care if there's hie-res or not. i don't care if the raids are good (i don't do them). i care only that the pvp is fun.
    and pvp in swtor?
    what pvp?
    it's an awful system. many games have added pvp as a kind of flippant gesture to their customers, but this was without doubt the most flippant and the worst gesture i've ever witnessed. in fact, it could only be made worse if they had made your pvp experience on rails like their space experience.
    though, now i think about it, it might've been more fun.
    there is no way - NO WAY - there was a pvp design team. no way. if there was, they should all be fired for spending too much time drinking and no time designing. the only valid solution i can think of is they gave the pvp design job to a secretary or the 60-yr old janitor.
    but i doubt that, too, because i reckon the janitor would've done a better job.
    and if you can seriously counter that criticism, then i'll be forced to question your fashion sense.

Let's try logic and reason here, shall we, and not hyperbole exaggeration as some people seem to like the hell off on these forums.

The fact that there's PvP implemented ingame means there was a PvP design team that developed and coded those features. Ilum, instanced PvP that allow you to fight teams of your own faction in a sports arena like setting, FFA PvP, together they show more PvP than some other AAA MMO's around.

You're making the classic mistake that if YOU aren't enjoying PvP in TOR, apparently no one else should or is allowed to enjoy it. I get that you don't like it, or are disappointed with it. But let's keep it more objective.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

I think this says it all. People not really wanting to discuss things, but going for the cheap and easy bashing/trashtalking route again of a game they hate/dislike. Same old, same old -_-

Anyway, I'm not bored enough to continue this kinda thread derailment any further, so back to OP topic for me.

umm.. yeah, i gave valid and legitmiate points of things that were wrong with the game to discuss and it wasnt worth your time.. so no not everyone is just trying to make cheap little remarks.. although apparently you're above what i actually said stating things that were wrong with the game at launch that were acknowledged by the devs and were actually facts.

but you tell me i'm hating and bashing and venting frustration.. no not at all, i enjoyed this game somewhat till i got to level 50, then the cracks really started to show.. not to mention all of this has todo with the initial topic becomes it comes down to an incompetent development team really...

Let's try logic and reason here, shall we, and not hyperbole exaggeration as some people seem to like the hell off on these forums.

The fact that there's PvP implemented ingame means there was a PvP design team that developed and coded those features. Ilum, instanced PvP that allow you to fight teams of your own faction in a sports arena like setting, FFA PvP, together they show more PvP than some other AAA MMO's around.

You're making the classic mistake that if YOU aren't enjoying PvP in TOR, apparently no one else should or is allowed to enjoy it. I get that you don't like it, or are disappointed with it. But let's keep it more objective.

umm with my points i was very objective and some of the things i listed i didnt even experience myself ingame read about them in patch notes and the forums... but my points are invalid because they are inconvienient and factual rather then being personal and biased

Anyway, I'm not bored enough to continue this kinda thread derailment any further, so back to OP topic for me.

umm.. yeah, i gave valid and legitmiate points of things that were wrong with the game to discuss and it wasnt worth your time.. so no not everyone is just trying to make cheap little remarks.. although apparently you're above what i actually said stating things that were wrong with the game at launch that were acknowledged by the devs and were actually facts.

but you tell me i'm hating and bashing and venting frustration.. no not at all, i enjoyed this game somewhat till i got to level 50, then the cracks really started to show.. not to mention all of this has todo with the initial topic becomes it comes down to an incompetent development team really...

We, or at least I was talking about how the clamor for innovation in MMO games is often hypocritical and flawed in that people at the same time want features to stay the same, you turned that discussion into another rant about everything that's wrong with TOR in order for you to vent your frustration/dislike with TOR. That had absolutely zero to do with what I was discussing, so I'm gonna stop you right there. If you want to derail from what I posted and talked about, feel free to vent whatever you like since you don't care to stick to the topic anyway. Leave my post out of it next time though in your vent rants.

umm with my points i was very objective and some of the things i listed i didnt even experience myself ingame read about them in patch notes and the forums... but my points are invalid because they are inconvienient and factual rather then being personal and biased

It seems to me you have a problem with reading/interpretation, as shown in your first reply on my posts and here. I was replying on Headphones' post, how you could interpret this as being a reply or commentary on your posts is beyond me.

We, or at least I was talking about how the clamor for innovation in MMO games is often hypocritical and flawed in that people at the same time want features to stay the same, you turned that discussion into another rant about everything that's wrong with TOR in order for you to vent your frustration/dislike with TOR. That had absolutely zero to do with what I was discussing, so I'm gonna stop you right there. If you want to derail from what I posted and talked about, feel free to vent whatever you like since you don't care to stick to the topic anyway. Leave my post out of it next time though in your vent rants.

Let's try logic and reason here, shall we, and not hyperbole exaggeration as some people seem to like the hell off on these forums. - if you're going to address one person, dont include the term "some people" it's an open ended comment and thus gives me more then enough reason to reply to your post, because for all i know you were indirectly talking about me personally and considering you just keep trying to push my comments aside as ranting / venting, why shouldnt i reply to begin with.

It seems to me you have a problem with reading/interpretation, as shown in your first reply on my posts and here. I was replying on Headphones' post, how you could interpret this as being a reply or commentary on your posts is beyond me.

look i'm sorry if i could see the flaws in the most profound gaming experience you must have found within swtor... nothing todo with ranting or venting. regardless of wether of not you saw it as relevant it tied in with what was said prior and in previous posts regardless of how you feel.

Edit - not to mention it wasnt a rant it was plain and simply about peoples expectations of certain game elements that stand apart from the games core mechanics and storyline

look i'm sorry if i could see the flaws in the most profound gaming experience you must have found within swtor... nothing todo with ranting or venting. regardless of wether of not you saw it as relevant it tied in with what was said prior and in previous posts regardless of how you feel.

Tiresome, and unneeded. Even if apparently you feel addressed to, I didn't have you in mind at all when I wrote that. As soon as I encounter any posts of yours that resort to hyperbole exaggerations, I'll let you know. My issue with your posts in this thread was your topic derailments in your reply to my post, and with your offtopic and offbase assumptions here: this wasn't about whether I found TOR the most profound gaming experience, which I don't, but you derailing the discussion in your personal bash venting of TOR that had little to do with my posts that you were replying on.

Since you had no intention of discussing what I was posting about in the first place, let's stick to the OP topic, shall we?
  • XenratheXenrathe Member Posts: 24

Chuckle.  You can tell from that interview that the guy has no mastery of his subject (PvP MMO design, though I'm beginning to feel that's something of an oxymoron).  Almost nothing specific whatsoever was even mentioned.  No insight about the shortcomings or strengths of their system.  A flippant dismissal of the cheaters because "they are a small subset."  What he fails to grasp is that, even as a small subset, the PERCEPTION of their numbers is huge.  If someone gets rocked in PvP, it won't be because the other players were more skilled.  Which is probably the case.  Oh no, it'll be because their opponents are exploiters.  The rub is that there's no way to know for certain.  The competitive fairness of their PvP is corrupted.

Tiresome, and unneeded. Even if apparently you feel addressed to, I didn't have you in mind at all when I wrote that. As soon as I encounter any posts of yours that resort to hyperbole exaggerations, I'll let you know. My issue with your posts in this thread was your topic derailments in your reply to my post, and with your offtopic and offbase assumptions here: this wasn't about whether I found TOR the most profound gaming experience, which I don't, but you derailing the discussion in your personal bash venting of TOR that had little to do with my posts that you were replying on.

Since you had no intention of discussing what I was posting about in the first place, let's stick to the OP topic, shall we?

stop referring to my posts as vandetta bashing and maybe.. like i said 

all of my posts were factual

all of my posts were unbiased and again based off fact

there is a WHOLE list of things i could complain about swtor, but i left my own personal problems with the game out of what i stated and kept to what was released at launch - what has been fixed since launch - and of those things what was reported in beta and SHOULD have been fixed for launch.

at no point did i say.. swtor is the worst game ever and go on a massive rant about why i hate the game so much, which again i dont.. it could have been a lot more then it was i hope they get it under control in the future i would like to see what they can make of it now...

all of these points still come under the development team, regardless of PvP or not.. the PvP team is clearly incompetent at what they do, they had an interesting idea with huttball which was fun for a while, but too much was wrong with PvP for it to have long term sustainability. getting to battlemaster before ilum was completely exploitable annoys me.. but did i rant about how bad it is because i actually worked for mine and other people kill traded for it no not at all.. because i dont rant or vent, i produce fact. as soon as you can acknowledge that and stop trying to sound like your on some pedestal. the better off we will be

@mbrodie: produce facts or your opinion of things all you like that have little to zero to do with what I was posting about, namely how innovation is regarded and the double standards and flawed idea when people clamor for innovation yet in reality also want a lot to stay the same. That was what I was discussing, and this wasn't even my initial comments in this thread. Your so called facts and arguments have little to do with that topic, they're a derailment on their own of it, so as I already said I'm done with you.

Rant/vent your so called facts all you like, since they had little to do with my posts at all I see no need to continue this discussion -_-

/done
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Teala

Is it any wonder that the PvP in this game is in such bad shape?  Watch this video and listen  to the guy in charge.

PvP Lead  Design Interview  <<< clicky

At 5:07 in the video he discusses kill trading.  Sad.

Posted by Teala Friday November 18 2011 at 4:00PM

Login or Register to rate this blog post!

This will be the 2nd and last entry I ever make on this game.

The Obssesion continues.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

When will companies learn that PVP gear and PVP stats are just dumb?  It's nothing but a carrot, but one that actually hurts the overall enjoyment of the game for most.

I give Trion credit for realizing this rather quickly.  They saw how unbalanced it was having fresh 50's go up against full valor rank 40's and decided to normalize valor across the board.  While it did upset those at the top at first, such as myself, it was better for the overall of the game.  Matches became more balanced and more frequent.  No one likes entering a match and within 1 min, knowing they have no chance.

How BW not only did not see this coming, but now just ignores it, blows my mind.  Couple that with having no penalty for leaving WZ's and we have crappy PVP.  I mean, how can there be no penalty?! 

Bottom line is, making PVP about the gear is about the worst way you can go about it.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

they aren't banning anyone because soon Valor ranks will be the things of the PAST.

Valor Ranks will be nothing other than extra titles. They will be relying on the ranked Warzones to determine what gears you get to wear now. Thats why he said, they will not be banning anyone.

Whats frustrating is that they never discussed about banning Hackers, now thats something that can not be avoided or fixed in ranked Warzones. They have to implement a fail safe to avoid hackers and cheaters to achieve ranks in warzones.

Otherwise it will be another disaster.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Man...so much of this game's design just makes to sense to me.

On one hand, they shard and instance zones off to the point where you don't interact with other players when questing all that much, they don't even bother putting in a well designed social hub for people to hang out at, they make it so crafting is largely useless in terms of player trade, and they design quests so that it's much easier to do a large portion of them solo. 

Then on the other hand, they have a huge issue with allowing players to select which warzones to play because you know...they might have to match you up with players from other servers and that would destroy the sense of community that they have put in no effort to establish.

I mean...just realize what your game is BW and stick to it.  It's basically a coop RPG.  There is no real feeling of "server community" because there's no reason for there to be one.  If you think that having a cross-server PvP queue is somehow going to destroy the server community that doesn't even exist...then I just don't know what to say.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• games72games72 Member Posts: 31

I think Creslin nailed it... I was hoping for some good news that might get me to re-sub at the end of my current time but not seeing it.

Many things frustrating about pvp in this game but three things that could help:

1) Penalty for leaving early.  I can now spot who is a "ragequitter" on my server and sure enough if my team gets down at the start those people leave the ops group immediately, leaving my group short handed.

2) Get some brackets... or something to seperate the new from vet.  Yeah that's great the stats are leveled and all but the fact is an entry level character doesn't know how to play their class as well as a higher level.  I got tired of low levels that had no idea how to play their class as a team - only knew how to spam their 3 or 4 abilities running around out in the open or on balconies, trying  to top the charts for dps while our team lost. 

3) "WZ will cancel if no more join" and then a few people join shortly into the game so it doesn't cancel - but by then your team is already down 1-0 or lost 2 nodes, etc and has to fight the uphill battle.  How can this happen when the waiting times are either instant or less than a few minutes???

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Aside from bashing the op and arguing amongst each other does any one have anything or know anything that'll counter this? Pissed one of my friends off but I told him there might be a good reason for this.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Worstluck

Originally posted by MosesZD

I wonder if any of these BioWare employees ever played an MMO that PvP...   

Yes.  Warhammer Online.  That worked out great!

Warhammer had much better PvP than most games. THe PvP in this game was run by Bioware, not Mythic.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I'm not a great fan of PvP even if I had my share in others MMO but seriously Gabe is either clueless about PvP in MMO or has serious misscommunication issues.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Well after watching that video I now know why the PvP system, valor farming, no choice WZ's, and that amazing (cough, cough) planet called Ilum utterly failed, these guys are clueless about PvP. I am not even going to get into the banning of people because as you can see they actually could give two shits about the kill farming. I mean if they did you think they might have stopped it you know maybe after 2 weeks instead of 2 months.

I mean I guess copying and pasting another MMO is a bit harder then they imagined it would be.

Such a fail PvP system with fail devs, just saying..............

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405
    SWTOR is probably the WOW clone with worst PVP ever.

World PVP is dead thanks to Bioware (different levels for the same planets kills any kind of OWPVP, bad game design)

Outlaws Den is a pointless joke, and it's also dead.

Terribad BG's, huttball.... LOOOL

Illium..... roflmao, big big fail.

Hell... even LOTRO had better PVP, which is just sad because LOTRO's PVP sucked big time.

Crafting also ended up being a complete joke.... this game is made for quest grinders, everything else is terribad / average at best.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by spaceport

SWTOR is probably the WOW clone with worst PVP ever.

World PVP is dead thanks to Bioware (different levels for the same planets kills any kind of OWPVP, bad game design)

Outlaws Den is a pointless joke, and it's also dead.

Terribad BG's, huttball.... LOOOL

Illium..... roflmao, big big fail.

Hell... even LOTRO had better PVP, which is just sad because LOTRO's PVP sucked big time.

Crafting also ended up being a complete joke.... this game is made for quest grinders, everything else is terribad / average at best.

agreed with all above.

for pvp fans, swtor is a huge disappointment.

ilum is a failure as we know.

3 boring bland simplistic warzones

DEAD WORLD PVP

Love all the crap talk by bioware on how they love pvp and having a dedicated team developing pvp content.

swtor pvp is absolute garbage

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

I think the dedicated team is dedicated on making themselves look like morons and it had worked just fine :P

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

how can pvp not the focus of starwars is beyond me.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I'm absolutely aghast after watching that. I mean don't get me wrong, I think the cinematic and quest making teams did an excellent job. But the actual guys working on the MM F*CKING O part of the game!? Five f*cking years. F I V E ! ! ! What the f*ck were they doing that entire time!? Did Bioware just leave those guys hanging around until the last minute to fill in the R E S T of the game like a stoned freshmen trying to overnight a term paper!? The mind f*cking boggles.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ArgoZex77ArgoZex77 Member Posts: 40

WHAT PVP? Thank you Bioware for ruining my favorite Franchise. Stick to Single Player games thats what got you to the dance. MMOs YOU FUCKING SUCK AT