Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YSMH?

TerminatrTerminatr Member Posts: 114

Like the title says, why so much hate. I tested for the first NA beta and made it to bout lvl 10 iirc. Second beta i couldnt even get successfully updated till 2 hours before it ended so lost out on that. I did manage to make it off the starter island. That is the extent of my experience thus far.

Ive done quite a bit of forum reading on multiple sites about this game. Ppl are being so critical of this game. You may pass judgement after playing for an hour, but when u pass this judgement to others id consider more trolling than anything. Anyone who "reviews" this game with an hour under their belt is just hilarious.

The Complaints:

• Its too easy. (Its beta, closed beta actually. Difficulty can easily be ramped up.)

• Invisible Walls. (I didnt experience any outside of starter zone, but this may be legit or it may just be starter zone hand holding)

• Quests same old style. (Everyone else doing it doesnt make it bad, TOR's questing is supposedly innovative, personally i absolutely hate it. So the need to change it up isnt always WIN.)

• Stuck during Combat Actions. (Although i do agree with this one, it is a necessary evil due to the style of combat and balance. That being said, it does add to combat requiring skill and forethought.)

• KTERA is BAD. (So is every other korean game. Im not korean. This is not a korean market. And, if anyone who has invested into this is smart, they know this.)

• Game sucks. (So you "tested" a game that isnt even fully feature complete and is level capped at half of max, yet youve somehow discovered everything it has to offer and made a decision. QFT.)

TERA has implemented features that any one MMO can boast, plus a few different things. To say these things are bad doesnt mean its success is being comprimised. While playing, I tried to pay attention to the fundamentals of the game. Look to the core of the game for flaws. The core mechanics will be the determining factor of its success.

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

The whole too easy thing is that people are pretty self centered, also they are complaining about 1-20. It seem no one understand what a learning curve now day is anymore. To anyone who play some mmorg or in my class a lot of mmorpg every single mmorpg first half of the game would be consider easy because we are so used to mmorpg mechanics in general. However there people who don't, and to them that first BAM was the hardesting thing they ever fought, in a mmorpg.

Invisable Walls lot of game have it, i don't consider it a bad thing since Tera isn't a freaken sandbox game.

Quest been like this for a while, its not great but its standard, idk when standard was bad. Only time i say standard is bad is the US education system.

Anyone who complain about stuck during combat never play an action combat game. Go play monster hunter, god eater burst, demon soul or dark soul before making this stupid comment again,

KTera is exactly the same as NA Tera side from the langue, pvp system, and some quest. Core of the game is pretty much the same. Lvling speed is pretty much the same so is the balance. Ktera doesn't even feel like a korean game aside from the art, it lvl like a western mmorpg and focus on end game contend like other western mmorpg. Claming KTera is bad because its a korean game just show those people are only trolls.

Anyone who say game sucks is a troll, by this i mean like single line post this game sucks. If you give valid reason why it sucks for you than thats perfectly ok. However even if it sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks in general.

I think someone said before the main reason is probably the release date is too close to SWTOR and GW2. If it was release at other time i think it would have been much better recieved but thats how things worked out. Honestly if those fanboy stay away i'm happy, not have to deal with them in game is always a plus.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

In my opinion the excess of hate comes from the trifecta of:

• Next big title to come out

• Themepark

• Korean

Once TSW and GW2 get closer you'll see the trolls skitter to the next pile of meat.  I have to give props to the TERA community thus far.  They've done a great job handling themselves and once the dust settles I think the community here will be solid. 

Just not worth my time anymore.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

• Themepark

• Korean

Once TSW and GW2 get closer you'll see the trolls skitter to the next pile of meat.  I have to give props to the TERA community thus far.  They've done a great job handling themselves and once the dust settles I think the community here will be solid. 

People have pointed out, including myself, extremely VALID points behind why "All the 'Hate'" regarding TERA.

It has nothing to do with "the next big title" to come out, and more to do with the overflow of threads claiming (as usual) that THIS game will be "The One". TERA has shown that it is no different from standard run of the mill MMOs with its game design other than its combat engine. Otherwise, the game is essentially on rails until end-game which is a poor design in its entirety.

Secondly, it being Korean has no bearing as to any hate whatsoever. The Art-Style is fairly "out there" in terms of Korean art styles, and is actually a breath of fresh air from what I felt & have read from other people who have played multiple-times past the starter isle.

However, I do feel that TSW AND GW2 have yet to prove themselves as anything more either until Open Betas, or LARGE Beta Tests, are shown. TSW has its own hurdles to cross considering the company behind it is the same company that did Anarchy Online & Age of Conan. Not the best track record in the world for games. They seem to love instances far far far too much post Anarchy Online, and that is a bad thing for "Massive" Multiplayer Online Games.

Again, you're throwing the word "Hate" and "Trolling" around far too much for extremely valid criticism that has been pointed out across the board constantly. Albeit, I'll grant you that there ARE trolls simply making posts such as "Game sucks.." without giving a reason. I also understand the frustration that arrives from people constantly bashing something you like. However, ignoring post after post with valid criticism can make one appear to also be a troll.

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

The only "hate" I have of TERA so far is the questing. I'm thinking the combat / dungeons / pvp will make up for it though. I really hate quest grinding, btw.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

• Themepark

• Korean

People have pointed out, including myself, extremely VALID points behind why "All the 'Hate'" regarding TERA.

It has nothing to do with "the next big title" to come out, and more to do with the overflow of threads claiming (as usual) that THIS game will be "The One". TERA has shown that it is no different from standard run of the mill MMOs with its game design other than its combat engine. Otherwise, the game is essentially on rails until end-game which is a poor design in its entirety.

Pretty sure your talking about GW2 here, so far Tera offer something new. Which is does, GW2 is the one people throwing around as "The One"

Secondly, it being Korean has no bearing as to any hate whatsoever. The Art-Style is fairly "out there" in terms of Korean art styles, and is actually a breath of fresh air from what I felt & have read from other people who have played multiple-times past the starter isle.

Yet its something everyone who bash Tera brings up.

However, I do feel that TSW AND GW2 have yet to prove themselves as anything more either until Open Betas, or LARGE Beta Tests, are shown. TSW has its own hurdles to cross considering the company behind it is the same company that did Anarchy Online & Age of Conan. Not the best track record in the world for games. They seem to love instances far far far too much post Anarchy Online, and that is a bad thing for "Massive" Multiplayer Online Games.

Agreeed there

Again, you're throwing the word "Hate" and "Trolling" around far too much for extremely valid criticism that has been pointed out across the board constantly. Albeit, I'll grant you that there ARE trolls simply making posts such as "Game sucks.." without giving a reason. I also understand the frustration that arrives from people constantly bashing something you like. However, ignoring post after post with valid criticism can make one appear to also be a troll.

Criticism is ok, but they need to be constructive. Its ok to say ok the quest system is dull and pretty much same old same old. Its other thing to say questing sucks and this game offer nothing new just other WoW clone. Both criticism but one is lot less hostile than the other. And ofc the people that makes one sentence trolls just make the whole thing more complicated.

-Faded

The fact is though Tera is receiving a lot of lashing from people compare to lot of other games. You don't see this kind of stuff on TSW, GW2, or Archages but its constantly seem on Tera.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I have been in 2 betas myself and can say the things I like are the combat and the game play what I dont like and thats just one thing the questing I dont care for quest grind and I also dont care for gear driven games much ethier because thats what most mmo's do is have it be about end game gear grind to get better gear to do A) Raiding or B) PvP and to me thats boring I played many games well almost every game there is out or has come out. From here tho I think the games good not great infact no game has been truely been great yet they all have been good or bad and thats it a bad game would be bad I mean not playable at all not just buggy or bad set up but all together bad and to me theres been 3 or 4 tops sense launch not even the failure games that people call failures like Tabla Rasa or Matrix online where bad they just didn't make it is all. Tera brings alot of new style but does not change from the norm enough in my opinion to make it worth it maybe in a year or 2 but not right now. If they had more open world play where the whole world from the begining was open to travel and not gated by lvl.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    I would like to point out that one person's "valid concerns" might not be another's. Claiming someone is wrong or are themselves a troll because they don't agree with what you have to complain about is putting too much authority to your opinion. That said I think differring opinions is great as it pertains to actual issues supported by actual substance. A "troll" isn't always as simple as saying "your game sucks".

I've seen instances of all three bullets I listed. I'm not surprised by it I was simply giving my opinion to the OP's question.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by rexzshadow

The whole too easy thing is that people are pretty self centered, also they are complaining about 1-20. It seem no one understand what a learning curve now day is anymore. To anyone who play some mmorg or in my class a lot of mmorpg every single mmorpg first half of the game would be consider easy because we are so used to mmorpg mechanics in general. However there people who don't, and to them that first BAM was the hardesting thing they ever fought, in a mmorpg.

No no.. there's a difference between easy (WoW, RIFT) and this... This is too easy. There's no chance that you can die and so not much is being taught. Here's the choice TERA presents: KIll lowbie things quickly, or WASD around like a ******* and not kill things any quicker.

People, like me, asking for the game to be harder, aren't asking for it to be hard, but asking that the game is shown at early levels to be the skill-based gameplay that certain gamers have been asking for.

Invisable Walls lot of game have it, i don't consider it a bad thing since Tera isn't a freaken sandbox game.

Agreed. A lot of games do much worse with invisible wall. Run along flat ground into a wall makes no sense. I've only run into invisible walls on steel inclines, but I'm not really an explorer type.

Quest been like this for a while, its not great but its standard, idk when standard was bad. Only time i say standard is bad is the US education system.

Standard is bad because people are burnt out on it. I'm not hating on TERA's questing. Lots of people do hate on TERA's questing, and other MMO's questing, but nobody has a good idea for how to change questing. In-depth quests are fun, or wild quests like the Cataclysm one where you're a katamari damacy type ball, but they're fun because they're 1 in 1,000. They'd get boring, and frustrating, if the game was filled with them.

The thing about TERA is there doesn't seem to be ANY stand-out quests. I'm okay with this. Some people aren't. The difference in combat creates all the difference in questing I really need.

Anyone who say game sucks is a troll, by this i mean like single line post this game sucks. If you give valid reason why it sucks for you than thats perfectly ok. However even if it sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks in general.

I think someone said before the main reason is probably the release date is too close to SWTOR and GW2. If it was release at other time i think it would have been much better recieved but thats how things worked out. Honestly if those fanboy stay away i'm happy, not have to deal with them in game is always a plus.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

• Themepark

• Korean

Your right of course, we see it alot here on mmorpg and not only tera ~srugs~. 

I'm courious to see how it goes for TSW & Gw2 in regards to hate mail.  My guess TSW will get its fair share of it, but GW2 will get kisses blown at it by the mmorpg community  Lol.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I find it hilarious when people say "this game is too easy"  maybe the questing and killing mobs are but this game is meant to level up faster than your normal Korean MMO. Also all these people who say it is too easy obviously have not fought the BAMs that can one shot you.  Here is an excerpt for all these people who claim it is too easy. This is from the official forum:

• In Oblivion Woods, players encountered their first big-ass monster, or BAM, a basilisk. The basilisk accounted for nearly two-thirds of all deaths during the course of the beta test, and is certainly telling of the unique challenge BAMs present to players, as well as the challenges presented by TERA's unique skill-based combat system. 

This is just the first beta test and the game was capped at level 22. BAMS will be harder and stronger. So for all of you people saying it is easy  you obviously didn't make it to the level 22 cap and even encounter a basilisk. The more you level the harder they will get.

You can never please people. If it is too hard there is tons of QQ about it and then they bring up how Korean mmos are just a grind fest. Well hate to say it but that is a STEREOTYPE! This game is way easier to level than other Korean mmos.

Sure the questing is the same as every other game. Pick up a quest and accept it and then kill X monters for Y parts. TERA never said they were changing the way MMO's work with world. Their claim to fame is the COMBAT SYSTEM. Which I think they did a damn good job with and I love it. I won't lie I played SWTOR and that questing was just stupid. Boring voice overs I had to listen to or spam click through to get the quest I wanted. I like being able to get grab and go here. I thought I would miss it but I do not.

Most of the people who hate on this game barely played it or did very little research. Why not actually take the time to explore a game and what it offers. How are you going to know 5 levels in that the game sucks? That is just ignorant. Yet we see this during the betas. This will be a great game for those of us who appriciate it. Especially for pvp with how the combat system works.

One thing I would like to see for release is a hardcore pvp server. Less safe havens and you some items from your inventory and maybe some gold. That would be awesome.

• TerminatrTerminatr Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Beacker

I find it hilarious when people say "this game is too easy"  maybe the questing and killing mobs are but this game is meant to level up faster than your normal Korean MMO. Also all these people who say it is too easy obviously have not fought the BAMs that can one shot you.  Here is an excerpt for all these people who claim it is too easy. This is from the official forum:

• In Oblivion Woods, players encountered their first big-ass monster, or BAM, a basilisk. The basilisk accounted for nearly two-thirds of all deaths during the course of the beta test, and is certainly telling of the unique challenge BAMs present to players, as well as the challenges presented by TERA's unique skill-based combat system. 

This is just the first beta test and the game was capped at level 22. BAMS will be harder and stronger. So for all of you people saying it is easy  you obviously didn't make it to the level 22 cap and even encounter a basilisk. The more you level the harder they will get.

You can never please people. If it is too hard there is tons of QQ about it and then they bring up how Korean mmos are just a grind fest. Well hate to say it but that is a STEREOTYPE! This game is way easier to level than other Korean mmos.

Sure the questing is the same as every other game. Pick up a quest and accept it and then kill X monters for Y parts. TERA never said they were changing the way MMO's work with world. Their claim to fame is the COMBAT SYSTEM. Which I think they did a damn good job with and I love it. I won't lie I played SWTOR and that questing was just stupid. Boring voice overs I had to listen to or spam click through to get the quest I wanted. I like being able to get grab and go here. I thought I would miss it but I do not.

Most of the people who hate on this game barely played it or did very little research. Why not actually take the time to explore a game and what it offers. How are you going to know 5 levels in that the game sucks? That is just ignorant. Yet we see this during the betas. This will be a great game for those of us who appriciate it. Especially for pvp with how the combat system works.

One thing I would like to see for release is a hardcore pvp server. Less safe havens and you some items from your inventory and maybe some gold. That would be awesome.

+1

~This would so make my day, unfortunately this would also scare people away. Just 1 dedicated server please... lol

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i have a theory that most of the "TERA, is the ONE" threads have been created by trolls to sit back and eat popcorn while they watch the fight.  the "TERA is CRAP" threads far outnumber the threads proclaiming the game to be super epic.  If someone starts a thread about how they like tera they are quickly ridiculed for having an opinion.  why cant someone enjoy a game because they find it fun.  a game doesnt have to be "the 2nd coming" for it to be fun for some people.

I've got the straight edge.