Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So i played the overhyped Tera....

PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Today i've managed to play tera after 20min of queue(high population is always good for an MMO).

So the character creation was good,simple, nothing new though...

The characters models are awsome.

Then i logged in, after a meaningless cutscene, the environment was pretty good and the music also.

But then i realised that there was a minimap showing all the area(that wasnt a good sign) but i decided to investigate it more.

I tryed to explore more the area and i realised that i can't fall of the cliff, cause TERA has a linear environment that you only follow a path.

I took a quest and i tryed the battle cause i've heard that this makes the game unique and worth buying... So i completed few quests that where totally copy paste from ALL the mmos out there, the other thing that was really bad was EVERY time i used a spell or an attack my character staying still, for example you can't run and use a spell, your char staying still every time you attack........

I couldn't play more than 1hour and after that i uninstalled it... this game has NOTHING AT ALL to offer to the MMO genre.

Linear questline like Aion - No exploration - overhyped combat system(looks like Dragon Nest a bit)= i give this about 3months of life till mass exodus...

I pity those who bought it really... i hope you will enjoy it but clearly if you've played many MMOs you know im right.

I dont want to offend ppl with this thread ..obviously if you are new to the MMO genre u will probably enjoy it

I just want to alarm those who are playing years MMOs not to expect anything for this.

[IM NOT PLAYING WOW(it died for me when TBC released) IM JUST WAITING FOR DARKFALL 2.0 & ARCHEAGE ]

good gaming to all :)

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

The combat is its only claim to fame.

Nothing new or interesting to see here. Of course that doesn't make it inherently bad.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Nobody anywhere has said anything positive about TERA's questing. And you're right. You can't fall off the cliff--the edge of the island--into oblivion.

Combat is where this game shines. The quests are the same old crap you'll find in every MMO since 2004 but the combat is very skill oriented.

Sadly, the skill the combat takes doesn't really begin to shine through til after the starting zone. The starting zone is...well, it's just horribly easy. Players are petitioning En Masse to realize that it's too easy, but like too many dev teams, they'll probably realize too little too late that first impressions are everything.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

The Darkfall comment shows you that if no ganking the game sucks.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Horusra

The Darkfall comment shows you that if no ganking the game sucks.

Of course not... I just find in DF the elements that i want for an MMO to have,thats all..... 

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

From the numbers that played DF I would say that the majority of players do not want DF elements, atleast of PVP, in games.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by PsyMike3d

[THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD]

Today i've managed to play tera after 20min of queue(high population is always good for an MMO).

Then i logged in, after a meaningless cutscene, the environment was pretty good and the music also.

But then i realised that there was a minimap showing all the area(that wasnt a good sign) but i decided to investigate it more.

I tryed to explore more the area and i realised that i can't fall of the cliff, cause TERA has a linear environment that you only follow a path.

I took a quest and i tryed the battle cause i've heard that this makes the game unique and worth buying... So i completed few quests that where totally copy paste from ALL the mmos out there, the other thing that was really bad was EVERY time i used a spell or an attack my character staying still, for example you can't run and use a spell, your char staying still every time you attack........

I couldn't play more than 1hour and after that i uninstalled it... this game has NOTHING AT ALL to offer to the MMO genre.

Linear questline like Aion - No exploration - overhyped combat system(looks like Dragon Nest a bit)= i give this about 3months of life till mass exodus...

I pity those who bought it really... i hope you will enjoy it but clearly if you've played many MMOs you know im right.

I dont want to offend ppl with this thread ..obviously if you are new to the MMO genre u will probably enjoy it

I just want to alarm those who are playing years MMOs not to expect anything for this.

[IM NOT PLAYING WOW(it died for me when TBC released) IM JUST WAITING FOR DARKFALL 2.0 ]

I hate those invisible walls too,no matter how good combat is but those invisible walls are too much for me(i hope those gets fixed,if not then i dont know)

but

combat is really great if you can think that its like combat in Mortal Kombat for example.You really need to time everything and think what happens next.

Let's internet

From the numbers that played DF I would say that the majority of players do not want DF elements, atleast of PVP, in games.

of course the majority don't want DF elements, i just find those elements more close to the idea of Role Playing gaming... that is what i want from a game.

And of course i disagree how the companies treat "the majority" like sheeps and you know something, they do it well, as it seems. If people will continue support games like TERA, companies will keep creating the same clones all over again. I bet we all want to see something new... Unless you just started your MMO experience

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Nobody anywhere has said anything positive about TERA's questing. And you're right. You can't fall off the cliff--the edge of the island--into oblivion.

Combat is where this game shines. The quests are the same old crap you'll find in every MMO since 2004 but the combat is very skill oriented.

Sadly, the skill the combat takes doesn't really begin to shine through til after the starting zone. The starting zone is...well, it's just horribly easy. Players are petitioning En Masse to realize that it's too easy, but like too many dev teams, they'll probably realize too little too late that first impressions are everything.

I really hope it gets more difficultt after the starting zone... I've tried a few different classes so far til level 4-5 and the starting zone isnt even funny how easy it is.

I've started to just initiate combat, stand still, hold left click and dont care about whatever the monster does since I can always kill it ALOT faster then it kills me without the need for dodging or anything.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

When u see comments like this...

"Sadly, the skill the combat takes doesn't really begin to shine through til after the starting zone "

You know the answer.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Originally posted by chaintm

"Sadly, the skill the combat takes doesn't really begin to shine through til after the starting zone "

You know the answer.

+1000

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

of course the majority don't want DF elements, i just find those elements more close to the idea of Role Playing gaming... that is what i want from a game.

And of course i disagree how the companies treat "the majority" like sheeps and you know something, they do it well, as it seems. If people will continue support games like TERA, companies will keep creating the same clones all over again. I bet we all want to see something new... Unless you just started your MMO experience

I'm not sure the majority really want something new. People keep buying the linear themepark games, so thats what they will keep making. Everyone knew what TOR was, and even most of the critics on the forums (who tried it and complained loudly about it), still bought it. Never going to change until players stop throwing there money at these types of games.

Originally posted by chaintm

You know the answer.

not sure what you mean, Great Giana Sisters,Wizard of Wor or Street Fighter or well 99% games in the world  follows that same pattern,even Tetris.

Let's internet

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

I'm sorry but I'm not sure why you bothered to make a thread about this if you only spent an hour playing the game. Any serious review should give a game at least 10 hours to try out before making a serious judgment. As for what this "adds" to the genre, Tera is supposed to have the best combat system ever seen in an MMO. Most of your review should be discussing it. I couldn't care less if the areas were enclosed.

Originally posted by Vryheid

I'm sorry but I'm not sure why you bothered to make a thread about this if you only spent an hour playing the game. Any serious review should give a game at least 10 hours to try out before making a serious judgment. As for what this "adds" to the genre, Tera is supposed to have the best combat system ever seen in an MMO. Most of your review should be discussing it. I couldn't care less if the areas were enclosed.

The best combat system ever seen in an MMO??? r u kidding me??? Of course i support the idea of aimming and not autotarget but TERA doesnt do it the right way. And of course you don't need 10hours to judge a clone... doesnt worth it

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by ForumPvP

[IM NOT PLAYING WOW(it died for me when TBC released) IM JUST WAITING FOR DARKFALL 2.0 ]

I hate those invisible walls too,no matter how good combat is but those invisible walls are too much for me(i hope those gets fixed,if not then i dont know)

but

combat is really great if you can think that its like combat in Mortal Kombat for example.You really need to time everything and think what happens next.

You hope it gets fixed? Does that even make sense at all? And before you respond just know that the game has been out in Korea for exactly a year. If it hasn't been fixed by now, it wont be getting fixed later.

Moving On, I played the Korean version of Tera and while some of the PvP mechanics have change most of the things have stayed the same. I can say that Tera is a fun game.....till after level 30ish. That's when I started to stop liking Tera; well enough to wanna invest money (sub) into the game.

I mean I have seen a lot of people use BAMs are the supposedly hard content of Tera and I found them a annoying. I mean at level 22 killing your first BAM (big fat guys, or kuma) was fun, but then when at level 37 you are killing the same Kuma (Level 22, 37, 42) with the same strategy except it has a different color AND more HP, then you know there is a problem. The same thing applies to the armor and armorless Centaur BAMs, first few times aweseome when you have to do it the exact same thing at (27, 37, 44 and 49 then it stops being fun) with nothing chaning other than hp and sometimes color, it becomes a problem. Don't get me wrong there are a few more complex BAMs initially, but since the game after a certain level had more BAMs per square mile that regular non elite mobs, their value kinda decreases since it meant you had to grind on those things to progress. But most dps classes (range or melee) can easily solo most of the BAMs and if you had a partner there are certain BAMs (kuma, or fat bois) that you could fight 2 of them at the same time.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Haha - "This is not a hate thread". That's like a salesman telling you to "trust him".

The last part is hilarious, because TBC is viewed by many as the highlight years of WoW. I personally loved TBC. Endgame dungeons in vanilla were my favs. But TBC in general was so baller.

As for the other comments -

Yeah, the game isn't perfect, but the graphics and combat are by far the best available to an MMO. As I spend all my time in an MMO looking at the graphics and as close to 100% as I can engaged in combat.... yeah. It's a good fit for me.

GVG PVP, BAMs, SBAMs, Politics. The rest of it doesn't matter to me.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Oh goodie.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by baritone3k

Haha - "This is not a hate thread". That's like a salesman telling you to "trust him".

The last part is hilarious, because TBC is viewed by many as the highlight years of WoW. I personally loved TBC. Endgame dungeons in vanilla were my favs. But TBC in general was so baller.

As for the other comments -

Yeah, the game isn't perfect, but the graphics and combat are by far the best available to an MMO. As I spend all my time in an MMO looking at the graphics and as close to 100% as I can engaged in combat.... yeah. It's a good fit for me.

GVG PVP, BAMs, SBAMs, Politics. The rest of it doesn't matter to me.

I dont want to convince anyone... i just want to alarm those gamers that had enough with clone games.

Now, if you find to TERA the game you've always wanted, then you are really lucky, cause im still looking for that MMO that i could at least say it, really good....

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Im not interested in TERA but OP after reading your gameplay review i don't believe a word your saying somehow i think your HIRED by some company to discredit TERA here on forums prolly other forums also.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Wow,...glad we all got to read your post which shows you spent no time in the game at all...you are so wrong on this one...the game is quite open...try leaving the nooby area and moving on in the game..nub.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by silvermember

Originally posted by ForumPvP

but

You hope it gets fixed? Does that even make sense at all? And before you respond just know that the game has been out in Korea for exactly a year. If it hasn't been fixed by now, it wont be getting fixed later.

Moving On, I played the Korean version of Tera and while some of the PvP mechanics have change most of the things have stayed the same. I can say that Tera is a fun game.....till after level 30ish. That's when I started to stop liking Tera; well enough to wanna invest money (sub) into the game.

I mean I have seen a lot of people use BAMs are the supposedly hard content of Tera and I found them a annoying. I mean at level 22 killing your first BAM (big fat guys, or kuma) was fun, but then when at level 37 you are killing the same Kuma (Level 22, 37, 42) with the same strategy except it has a different color AND more HP, then you know there is a problem. The same thing applies to the armor and armorless Centaur BAMs, first few times aweseome when you have to do it the exact same thing at (27, 37, 44 and 49 then it stops being fun) with nothing chaning other than hp and sometimes color, it becomes a problem. Don't get me wrong there are a few more complex BAMs initially, but since the game after a certain level had more BAMs per square mile that regular non elite mobs, their value kinda decreases since it meant you had to grind on those things to progress. But most dps classes (range or melee) can easily solo most of the BAMs and if you had a partner there are certain BAMs (kuma, or fat bois) that you could fight 2 of them at the same time.

why doesnt i t make sense,and yes i know its been released there.

this product is not any kind of must have for me,and they can fix things if they want to just like they made game easier for werstern peeps,which was a bad move i think .Not so sure what you say about BAMs since those are quite fun if you do those as a "lowbie"

Let's internet

Originally posted by forest-nl

Im not interested in TERA but OP after reading your gameplay review i don't believe a word your saying somehow i think your HIRED by some company to discredit TERA here on forums prolly other forums also.

then feel free to buy it :)

and no i dont work for a company to discredit TERA...

i don't think people in this forum are so easy to manipulate with just 1 thread... they've seen so many games failing and they dont need a "secret agent of a misterious company" to form an opinion.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Are you talking about kTera (Korean Tera), or TERA for US/EU? I ask because there's no scheduled Beta Test until next weekend? O_o

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Welcome to the forums OP.

I agree with your assessment that they made the starter island a bit too safe. I don't agree with your assessment on the combat. They managed to put the focus away from the UI and into the actual combat. The animations serve as your casting bar and they are your visual queue on when abilities can be fired. Instead of spamming keys like you do in other MMOs, you just need to pay attention to the combat and use the skills accordingly. Even healing follows the same pattern, and that is a feat by itself.

I hope you expect to find Darkfall's combat here. That game is terrible broken (only one "class" is viable) and if they followed the same rules, pretty much all melee builds would be useless.

The territories open up after the starter island. In fact, the whole world between the two continents is seamless, unlike Aion that you mentioned. Also, unlike Aion, there are no factions here.

I suppose you could play another hour and leave the starter island and see for yourself what I'm talking about.

As for the pity part, it shows that you're no true gamer, but a victim of a hype machine. If you were a true gamer, you'd respect people's opinion and choices on playing whatever they enjoy. I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and won't place you among the DF blind fanatics.

Oh, and one last thing. The title is misleading, to say the least (borderline trolling). Tera is hardly overhyped. If you want to see overhype, check the GW2 side of the forums. Tera is for the most part dismissed as a Korean grinder, even from you (which begs the question where you see the hype really).

• TezcatTezcat Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Are you talking about kTera (Korean Tera), or TERA for US/EU? I ask because there's no scheduled Beta Test until next weekend? O_o

Euro Tera CBT2 is this weekend, 3rd - 5th March. My missus is sitting next to me playing it image