Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think the end is near (poll)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm not talking about politics here but more on a personal level. Your family, community, everything.

I don't believe in superstition or the history channel dome's day stuff. But un-related to that life is getting bad and more people are out of work, unemployment is running out and things are just going up.

I'm starting to stockpile somewhat. I live in the country and I think it would come as soon as June or July. City people will get the first wave of looting and killing before it gets bad in the country.

I run this by others in work and they half hearted are not concerned, but you can tell they are. I think they are stockpiling anyway, just not saying anything.

What do you think ?

Please try and keep politics out of it.

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Yeah things are getting crazy, never hurts to be prepared for any situation :)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

The end of what...American Idol?  Could be, ratings have been going down ever since Simon Cowell left.  Keep stockpiling those episodes.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Human beings seem to always find a way to keep going, no matter how grim things might seem.

Ironically, the only thing that would cause a melt down of society, is if there is a lack of confidence in it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Besides, things were much worse during the great depression, and the world recovered just fine from it.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

I think I live in an age that allows me immediate access to a large amount of information that in many cases exceeds the national level.  I'm told all sorts of things about things and other things for various reasons in real time 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and luckily for me, I have enough book learnin' to be able to filter those things appropriately, unfortunately there are some people that don't have the same ability and the poor things get overwhelmed and swept away in the 24 hour news industry trying to squeeze 24 hours of news out of a mostly 9 to 5 world., unfortunatlyand swept a and trying to make it interesting enough

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

If nothing bad happens, if anything at all, I would guess world population would get us slowly.

7 Billion people....and 11 years ago we had 6 billion.

With out doing the hard equation because it's non- linear I would guess 8 Billion in 8 years, and 9 Billion in 6 years after that.....something bad would have to happen with this amount of people.

Maybe I do watch too much of the History channel !

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by delete5230

If nothing bad happens, if anything at all, I would guess world population would get us slowly.

With out doing the hard equation because it's non- linear I would guess 8 Billion in 8 years, and 9 Billion in 6 years after that.....something bad would have to happen with this amount of people.

And a guy wrote a novel called "Make room! Make room!" that was about over population and food and water shortages and he set earths population at 6 billion.  It was written in 1966 and was set in the year 1999...

We call this the "Where's my flying car?" syndrome. .

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I wouldnt mind if the world ended on july. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Nowhere near it buddy.

The world will change shortly, and not necessarily for the better, but the basic infrastructure of our respective societies remain untouched and unthreatened.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Could someone wake me up when the rioting starts? I need to replenish my Beanee Weanee stash.

What? It's not like I'm going to pay for that crap.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • FoxkounFoxkoun Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Castillle

I wouldnt mind if the world ended on july. 

I'd have to say a range of july to november. We're up against so many problems outside of supervolcano's, satelite(moon/planet) impacts, etc that those are the least of concerns while not disappearing from the radar. population, nuclear war, infighting, we're pretty much up against ourselves because of one reason or another.

Me? I've no particlar plan, just what skills I've learned. I'm just sorry that so many will suffer because of the decisions of a few.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I believe the world will end for some January 20th of next year. For many others it will be a new beginning :-D

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I am sure they will be more warms, more famine and definitely more droughts. Maybe billions or hundreds of millions will die. We will all be more uncomfortable. Will it end.. thats a pipe dream. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

If something happens, it will be *because* of shows like Doomsday Preppers stirring the pot.

The government/society is not going to crumble, but at some point there may be an army of crazies too dense to see that, and will start roaming around like Mad Max long before the actual need to.

I will thank the sensationalist assholes in hollywood when the end comes, because it will be caused by the very people expecting it, fueled by the kind of horseshit TV spews at them. The very shows in question could still be on the air while people start living in their bunkers.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by GTwander

If something happens, it will be *because* of shows like Doomsday Preppers stirring the pot.

The government/society is not going to crumble, but at some point there may be an army of crazies too dense to see that, and will start roaming around like Mad Max long before the actual need to.

I will thank the sensationalist assholes in hollywood when the end comes, because it will be caused by the very people expecting it, fueled by the kind of horseshit TV spews at them. The very shows in question could still be on the air while people start living in their bunkers.

This frenzy isn't anywhere near the personal nuclear bomb shelter run in the early sixties. Just more doom and gloom looking for a self fulfilling prophecy.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
  • ThaFinestThaFinest Member Posts: 21

I mean there are so many sources of information that something bad will happen at the end of this year, so I mean I could definitely see it happening, BUT I am a skeptic, and will have to see it for my own eyes. This reminds me of the Y2K bug. Remember that? Everyone thought we'd go back into the Stone Age, and absolutely nothing happened....

About that...

Gaming Names -
    Xboxlive - ThafinestX
    PS3 - ThafinestX
    LoL - DeeKno & ThaFinest
    SW:TOR - DeeKno & ThaFinest
    DAoC - Sebestian

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

If you do your research and know your own (or your society's) religion very well (Christianity), you will see both in history and in holy text that this is and always will happen.

In history, everyone has always felt the same things: the end is near, they are the last ones (the chosen ones!), etc. etc.

In holy text, although my memory is fuzzy, I do believe it states or at least clearly shows that people always think it's the end of time.

I know that my awareness of the world, both logical and spiritual, speak to me: "The end is not near. Every generation thinks things are getting worse. Every generation is conservative amongst their own time and are unaware of how things are getting better, so they only see the worst. Every generation believes the end is near, since the beginning."

So no, the end is not near. Not even. And if it is? I still had a better chance of being right by saying no, it is not, even if it is.

Originally posted by ThaFinest

I mean there are so many sources of information that something bad will happen at the end of this year, so I mean I could definitely see it happening, BUT I am a skeptic, and will have to see it for my own eyes. This reminds me of the Y2K bug. Remember that? Everyone thought we'd go back into the Stone Age, and absolutely nothing happened....

About that...

What sources of information exactly?

You state "there are so many sources of information that something bad will happen at the end of this year" so can you give us some of these sources, and explain why they are valid?

Originally posted by Hazelle

I think I live in an age that allows me immediate access to a large amount of information that in many cases exceeds the national level.  I'm told all sorts of things about things and other things for various reasons in real time 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and luckily for me, I have enough book learnin' to be able to filter those things appropriately, unfortunately there are some people that don't have the same ability and the poor things get overwhelmed and swept away in the 24 hour news industry trying to squeeze 24 hours of news out of a mostly 9 to 5 world., unfortunatlyand swept a and trying to make it interesting enough

Unfortunate, but it sounds true.

• hussy9hussy9 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by delete5230

(If nothing bad happens, if anything at all, I would guess world population would get us slowly.)

Impreesive....

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

A good friend of mine has become a "Doomsday Prepper".  He is stocking food, buying guns and all kinds of crap.  He believes something will happen this year.

Personally, I think he has lost it...LOL

So I looked up this site:

Survive.com?

LOL

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I figure Karma hates me more than anyone else in the universe. If 12/21 is the end of the world, then I won't buy Christmas presents for anyone.

Karma, and Murphy (of Murphy's Law), wanting me to look like a giant asshole, will then prolong the world's life at least five days longer, and perhaps many many more years, just to fulfill its desire to make me look like a jerk.

You're welcome.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

It 'will' happen, whether or not it happens in our lifetime is another story.

Having said that, I think there is a lot of superstitious nonsense out there and a lot of evidence/statistics.  In all honesty, I don't see why people always gravitate towards superstitions, when there is plenty of evidence to support that we are 'due' for a disaster.

• Florence41Florence41 Member Posts: 10

I think they are stockpiling anyway, just not saying anything.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Earth will be here for awhile even if humans manage to kill each other to the point of exctintion.  Then the Earth one day will be destroyed.  It's just a matter of time, and cycles within the cosmic cycle. =)