Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The only fun I had in this game was the Tatooine Balloon ride and I bet that gets taken out...

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Why they don't connect the two major cities on Tatooine and add PVP objectives I'll never know. The land between the cities exists in the world, yet it kills you if you go over it in anything but a Taxi that you seem to pilot yourself. They could make Tatooine into such a great open world PVP planet and social hub in each city instead of the horrible stations and yet they don't.

That said the only fun I had in this whole lvl 1 - 50 experience before I quit was at the Tatooine Balloon ride sight to get the Holocron. It is the only true world PVP objective as you're fighting over a goal and you can stop eachother getting it. It's much more fun than the stupid nodes on Ilum which I have no idea why they were put in over Keep style attack and defend like WAR or DAOC had. 

Amazing experience on the Balloon ride because it takes nearly an hour to get the thing and if you miss the short window to jump on the Balloon or fall off it then you have to wait again. So you have two options, to fight on the Sand Crawler where you jump on the Balloon or to wait on the Sandcrawler with the holocrons on and boot people off or even use them to jump up to and kill. Though there is a third option and it's very much in the style of EVE Online, where you pretend to be friends with the enemy in the name of getting the holocron and then booting them off once you're both on it and they cannot get back on :D.

It's great fun, the only world PVP that is worth it in the game and no you don't get Valor but why has this become such a big issue with MMOs these days? I hate Dailies, it's a cheap short term fix for not having proper objectives to fight over. I hate the whole Valor system because you cannot lose any, so it's more like a grind of time, rather than skill. If Valor went up or down depending on how well you were doing it would be worth it, instead it's just like grinding levels.

Lots of people are moaning about this Balloon ride because it takes too long and I bet Bioware make a change to it which ruins the whole PVP based around it and dumb it down for the masses.

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The bottom line is ths: SWTOR is a multiplayer co'op game.

This entire game is a linear ride. Tatooine was the first world I saw in the game that I thought was open. However, after running into constant "exhaustion zones" when venturing off the main path, I decided that this isn't the game for me.

I consider this game to be the biggest upset in MMO history. It's like taking a game like Quake III Arena and calling it a RTS.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

You liked it because it was one of the rare 'emergent gameplay' things.   Everything else was so either rigidly scripted to be 'almost challenging but not'  that it was dull; or, just plain poorly executed, such as social functions, economy, envioronment, crafting, PvP...

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Hmm.

You had more fun than me.

Most fun I had was uninstalling SWTOR from my computer

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ArchendrusXArchendrusX Member UncommonPosts: 46

You're absolutely right!  I was so pissed that, even though I rolled on a PvP server, I didn't see ANY world PvP until 30.  Tatooine balloon fights gave me hope and were a lot of fun. We even had some good fights between outposts in the dune sea.  Alderaan had a little world PvP going. And then.......nothing, all the way up to 50.  Personally, I think instanced mini-game PvP is lame and I'm pretty bummed that it's the main PvP content.  Ilum isn't PvP, it's a same faction speeder race to click on boxes.  I was hoping for some decent world PvP in the style of DaOC, Lineage 2, Eve, hell even Warhammer.  But it's all just instanced quick matches that mean nothing at all. I've played for a month and I'm basically done.  I have something stupid like 50 something days left on my game time card, but I don't even want to play at all.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Interesting that this balloon ride evolved into a fun PVP activity, and I can see why you enjoy it. I play on a PVE server and people rage over how stupid and boring the ride is so you are correct in fearing Bioware might pull it out eventually.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Kyleran

Interesting that this balloon ride evolved into a fun PVP activity, and I can see why you enjoy it. I play on a PVE server and people rage over how stupid and boring the ride is so you are correct in fearing Bioware might pull it out eventually.

I just sit out on the Sand Crawler and wait for the enemy to come and see if they attack me or not. Usually they're not interested in wasting time so we make friends and have a chat and get on the Balloon. Once we get close I'll boot them off and then go wait by the Holocron for them to run over and force leap or whatever on me and kill them lol.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

*ride

No there's nothing else to say here.  It seems we all know.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by futnatus

*ride

No there's nothing else to say here.  It seems we all know.

:D Didn't even notice that.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

Agreed! Balloon ride was the best world pvp objective in the game. I haven't raged as hard as I did when I got to the walker the first time only to be pulled downed to the ground by a BH! I spent the next hours just following him around making sure he wouldn't be able to complete a single quest! Haha. Now that's good engaging gameplay:P The rest of the game, though, not so much...

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

if they copy WoW correctly,Tatooine Balloon ride  will be removed from the game and it gets instanced.

Huttball with balloon ride . (megablast)

and those 2 other pvp instances gets their own balloon runs  too,wiihuuu will be super fun fun.

Let's internet

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    As far as Valor going up and down, it's not going to be needed after 1.2, at least in warzones. I realize this is only a small part of your post, and that it os more in reference to world PvP, but I don't think it is valuable enoug to motivate people towards world PvP.

I've always said that Valor was not as important as people make it out to be. It doesn't get you any gear or anything.

This is Bioware's philosophy too, it would seem. Gabe even said as much in that interview the other day. Valor is going to become a vanity thing very soon. They have always said that the current gear system was an interim system.

I believe this game is going to heavily focus on instanced PvP for a while. Valor is not going to be a source if rewards.

If they want to motivate people to do world PvP, then they need to provide a system that gives access to the same rewards. This system can't be limited to Ilum; it needs to apply everywhere.

The problem is that they haven't figures out a way to do this. At least not one that can't be exploited by kill/base trading.

As they move away from valor and proper rewards for world PvP, they are moving away from world PvP in itself.

As of next Tuesday, Ilum is goon to die on every server. (Ilum dailies/weeklies will be completavble in warzones and valor gains in warzones are being tripled). There will be no motivation to go to Ilum whatsoever. Anything that could be gained on Ilum will be gained much faster in warzones.

They may return their focus to world PvP sometime in the future, but if you had any doubts about the state of world PvP in TOR, you can lay them to rest as it is being abandoned quickly.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

[Mod Edit]