Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Line of Defense: New Trailer Debuts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

3000AD has sent out the first trailer from its upcoming MMO, Line of Defense. The trailer shows off some of the wicked combat that players can expect from the game that's set to hit the airwaves later in 2012.

Check out the trailer that debuted on the PC Gamer channel:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Terrible animations. Have they not learned 2 factions is one of the WORST idea?

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Will wait and see what its like wouldn't mind beta testing it. But haven't seen a sighn up for it yet. Looks like PS kinda so will see.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Wow, those were some of the worst animations I've ever seen in my life. I thought the whole point of a trailer was to make people want to play the game, not run to the washroom and throw up?

Also, 'One Planet: Two Sides' is the best tagline you could come up with? Seriously? Did somebody's kid come up with that or what?

No thank you. Amateurish at best, is what this reeks of.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

This game looks so...20 years ago.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

those buggys @0:37 are stolen rite from halo LOL

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Looks like the same game code, art assets and general gameplay they have been renaming and recycling as new games for the last 10 years.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

In before Derek Smart comments!'

Derek, I like your battlecruiser series since there are not that many space sims floating around, but if this is going against PS, you might as well hang up the towel. 

BOOYAKA!

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I know this community doesn't like Mr. Smart (for whatever reasons), but I think that if this game can really produce the "epic" scale that it somewhat promises, then it will be one to keep an eye on..

All I see anywhere from anyone about new MMO's are comments about the graphics.. We blame the developers for the industry failing, but we as a community have become so shallow that we will eat anything that "looks" good..

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73

For some reason this trailer reminds me of Reboot.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

interesting, oh well Planetside 2 will probably be better.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

this game going against planetside 2? Good luck you'll need it.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Originally posted by Vyeth

I know this community doesn't like Mr. Smart (for whatever reasons), but I think that if this game can really produce the "epic" scale that it somewhat promises, then it will be one to keep an eye on..

All I see anywhere from anyone about new MMO's are comments about the graphics.. We blame the developers for the industry failing, but we as a community have become so shallow that we will eat anything that "looks" good..

Because there is a certain degree of problem with it. Animations more so that graphics.

For example lets take Dark Age of Camelot.  Still considered to have some of the best multifaction warfare in MMOs. But there are problems with the way the game plays for many people, including myself, that keeps us from returning to that game.

Especially so with the animations for me. It makes the game feel clunky, slow, and unresponsive at times, even if it isn't. Add to that the matter of how fast an animation cycle is or if it's interruptible and you have the new consideration about how actions in the game mesh together.

Kingdom of Amalur got nitpicked for this reason too in it's combat. Things certainly flow well, but ainimations just taking that little bit longer to finish and not being interruptible made it so players couldn't avoid being hit during attack chains at all, making fighting against groups more about dragging enemies far enough away from one another that you could attack each one without constantly being hit yourself.

It is little things like this with animations in games that go a long way towards affecting both our perceptions of it as well as the actual gameplay. If it looks clunky, it will probably play clunky. And a clunky game is not a very fun game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Two Sides?

Game has already failed as a contender for anything let alone Planetside 2.

Rule #1 when making a faction based PVP MMO: "3 sides, or bust."

:o

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Animations are horrid, but if the gameplay is ok I can let that slide. Looks like they are at least trying a different MMO formula!

Joined - July 2004

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    3 things:

1) Looks a LOT like PS2 (which I like)
    2) Looks very aggressive in terms of scope so not sure about a 2012 release but hoping so
    3) Agree on the 2 faction comment above
  • KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    Wow, it amazes me how many people care more about animations and graphics than actual gameplay. Priorities people!
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Animations from early 2000?

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

This an mmofps? Looks like someones high-school project...

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Kaez

Wow, it amazes me how many people care more about animations and graphics than actual gameplay. Priorities people!

I think that in that in this type of game, animations are important.  Just my opinion of course, but in my FPS type games, I really like nice graphics and animations nowadays.  I have a hard time playing a FPS type game with bad graphics and animations, makes me feel like it's 1996 again or something.  Now, I play a lot of games with 'bad' graphics or poor animations (Realm of the Mad God, Haven and Hearth, etc, etc), but those types of have graphics that fit them. 

This game is in beta, so I wont comment too much on the animations, but they are pretty poor, could definintely use some work.  Gameplay looks pretty cool, but tbh, I am done with two faction MMO's.  Unless everything is instanced and you can control the balance or they have some innovative mechanism to balance the factions, it will just be who has the biggest zerg who wins.  Multiple faction games, as long as the factions are somewhat equal, will balance themselves.  But every developer knows this right?

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Kaez

There wasn't anything else displayed in that video.  It was animations ... that's it.  There was hardly any other information given, you could decern that they have a few different classes and 2 factions. 

Thats

it

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

2 factions sucks.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I don't know wether to laugh or cry.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

No crafting....two factions.Two strikes against it already IMO.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Looks like they got the guys from Robot Chicken to help make the video, lol.

Archlinux ftw

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Soo....

This is going to compete with Planetside 2?

I loled.