Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to retire... to EVE

ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Been putting this off.  Played EQ2 again... ugh. Played Rift, not a bad game but certainly the easiest and most soloable WoW clone I've found.  Considered the original WQ but meh.  Considered LOTRO again but between f2p and the last expansion I have no hope for it anymore. Guess it is time to dust off my old accounts and retire to EVE.  At least I know it is fun, and challenging, and frustrating and dangerous and.. well a damn good MMO.  See ya in there.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Comments

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I consistantly hear nothing but praises for EVE. That carries a lot of weight in my book. but 2 things have scared me off.

(These are based on my limited understanding which I admit migh be lacking)

1. The way you advance in the game is based on the time you have had an active account so new players coming in will virtually never catch up to where the established baseline is That is, where the average player in eve is in their progress.

2. Non-Consentual se...Uhhh I mean PVP has always been a deal breaker for me.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

I consistantly hear nothing but praises for EVE. That carries a lot of weight in my book. but 2 things have scared me off.

1. The way you advance in the game is based on the time you have had an active account so new players coming in will virtually never catch up to where the established baseline is That is, where the average player in eve is in their progress.

yes, but have you ever tried it?  Try the free trial.  for 1 - there is a limited(not very) amount of skills.  There are corps to join to help you specialize. It is very sandbox... I like to mine that is a part of the over all skill base - I don't need to train up skills not needed for mining and refining. If i stick to mining I don't need to fly a Drake.  I can  join a corp where someone else flies thta Drake.  For 2 - there are ways to avoid PvP - first would be to belong to a NPC Corp.  Unless things have changed since last Summer they do not get War-dec'd.  Also do not attack any one for any reason and stay in hi-sec.  and lastly be aware of where you are and who just entered the belt of the system you are in. 

Is there danger in EVE> You betcha, but that is one of the best parts. I just played Rift and even killing mobs 4 levels higher than my toon I never felt endangered.  

EVE is not for everyone. It is like Scotch - an acquired taste. Try the trial - if you do not like it then you have only lost a few hours.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

If you think progression is level etc then you will be disapointed with EVE, skills train over time, but that doesn't mean you will not be able to do anything. A fleet of 40 people who have only played a week can kill most things other than a capital ship. To fly a titan you need a year or focused training or more, but you also need billions of isk and you would be pretty useless at a lot of things.

As for PVP, EVE is pvp either market, trading, manufactoring or good old blowing other people up.

Its actually fun and you just need to get over being scared of it. The unfortunate thing is when it comes on you when you are reading a book while mining, but then its just 'shrug' get new ship and be more careful next time.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

You cannot play the Eve trial and get anything out of it.  It's not a game you can jump in and out of, it's something you need to immerse yourself in for a good 6 months before you can even begin to scratch the surface on it's complexities.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Quesa

You cannot play the Eve trial and get anything out of it.  It's not a game you can jump in and out of, it's something you need to immerse yourself in for a good 6 months before you can even begin to scratch the surface on it's complexities.

Quoted for Truth 100%

Well then I am the exception to that rule. I disagree. You can play it and get things out of it.  As I stated before eVE is not for everyone. 

Originally posted by Dalmont

If you think progression is level etc then you will be disapointed with EVE, skills train over time, but that doesn't mean you will not be able to do anything. A fleet of 40 people who have only played a week can kill most things other than a capital ship. To fly a titan you need a year or focused training or more, but you also need billions of isk and you would be pretty useless at a lot of things.

As for PVP, EVE is pvp either market, trading, manufactoring or good old blowing other people up.

Its actually fun and you just need to get over being scared of it. The unfortunate thing is when it comes on you when you are reading a book while mining, but then its just 'shrug' get new ship and be more careful next time.

now this I agree with.

ok, off to play the free trial till I can rez my old account(s) tomorrow.  Bet I learn something new.

I did a free trial after my break it helped me remember :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

OK, regarding your two issues, here's my take on it.

1)  True to a point.  Understand that every activity in EVE has a skill cap, be it flying a certain ship, mining, mission running, exploring etc, all have a limit to each and therefore in a period of time anyone can maximize their skills so they equal anyone else.  For example, I played EVE for about 3.5 years using 3 accounts.  There is virutally no sub capital ship that one of my characters can't fly/fight well in.  The real issue is my own limitations, I cannot possibly fight the 50 or so ships that I'm maximized in, and probably am at best adequate in a handful of configs.  But I have no worries that someone who has had active accounts for 7 years is "better" than me.  Unless its flying captial ships, they aren't better than me, they just can do even more things (like perhaps industry, I never did like crafting, or mining for that matter)

2) First rule in EVE, never fly what you can't afford to lose and replace.  2nd rule, stay in empire space (.5 and above) and you will rarely get killed in PVP (outside of some suicide ganks which are avoidable if you fly smart).  Some folks go months if not years w/o ever losing a ship in empire space.  Me, I lost a couple, mostly because I did some afk cargo hauling and the suicide gankers got me.  No, seriously, I'm a carebear at heart, but always felt the level of risk in EVE was very manageable if a person played smart.

Really, your two big concerns really shouldn't keep you from giving EVE a try.  There's a lot of valid reasons why a person might not care for EVE, but not the two you listed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I was the biggest carebear theme-park MMO'er ever  (EQ, EQ2, WOW, Rift).. and I tried EVE because I was burned out of the same-old same-old and boy am I glad I did.

I did try AION at one point, a game which made me echo some of the OP's sentiments about non-consentual PVP, however EVE has me hooked, and I now wonder why I never bothered to try it sooner.

EVE PvP is fun, and draws you in quickly.

its not quite the same as the other games, where ganking someone didnt mean anything, here it does. if they gank you in highsec, they will be losing a ship too, and as others mentioned .. the fact that you know you arent really safe anywhere adds a level of uncertainty and thrill to the game. that combined with the fact there is no pre-set quest treadmill or advancement path .. you pretty much set your own goals makes the experience quite unique. If you are part of a corp, then he will likley have to face the wrath of your corp mates too .. and there are bounties etc.

As others mentioned at first glance, the skill system sounds unfair and hokey if you are thinking of it from the jaded lenses of a theme park mmo.

The flip side is , that I can spend literally 10 minutes a day managing my skill queues, and still progress in the game (not that you would want to, and actually I find myself having to pry myself away from the game for things like .. sleep) ;0)

I have had a freighter ship loaded with modules ganked on the way home from Jita, it taught me a lesson.

I also (only playing a few months now)  managed to pop some would be gankers, trying to flip my jetcans, it was awesome and now I have fun running around low sec and getting into fights.

The game is deep, makes you think and gets the adrenaline going like no other MMO I have played.

and as I have seen mentioned elsewhere too, the community is 10000x better than some *other* game communities. even though ganking is basically part of the game, there seem be less of the typicall leetspeak kiddies you find in other PvP situations.

Have actually had friendly exchanges with gankers, they blow you up but are polite about it :P

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Not true, you can really understand a lot of the game in just a few months... ive played ~3-4 months inactive partly and I understand much of it but Ive had to read a lot for that.

Also 3-4 months and im capable of killing year old players, even with a shitty ship and some luck you can manage. Another thing is that Ive never gotten killed during my time in highsec while not in a war, its almost impossible if you dont act reckless or try to piss someone off.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Dalmont

Quoted for Truth 100%

Seconded for 100% truth, I might even push that to a year.

Where's the any key?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Reminds me of another comment I heard about a game...

I think it was Final Fantasy? 'Have to play for a day first, but then you get to the fun parts!'

Yeah...something like that.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Toto020Toto020 Member Posts: 43

I did the "Theme Grind" for a while, EQ, WoW, LotO...  Heck I even bought into SWTOR for a minute; but to be honest I was always afraid of EvE. basically I assumed it was too risky.  You see I'm a carebear and it's nice to feel safe but to be honest it gets boring as just about every new WoW clone just makes it easier to be lazy as a gamer.  Nice soloable content...

But I always thought the concept of the EvE sandbox was unique.  So after I cancelled my SWTOR sub I finally decided to give it a 14 day trail.  I can only say that I feel as if I just got the joke everyone's been talking about. 

The gameplay and interface is so simple but how you use it is where the fun is.  There is literally so much you can do with so little that it's a great experience.  There is a learning curve but they provde 6 tutorial agentswith 10 missions each that explain and walk you through the basics of EvE fairly well. 

At the end of the tutorials you'll have your own menagerie of ships, skills, implants, materials and all this is done in High Sec which is reasonably safe and fully immersive.  Believe me, It's worth a try...

• santimiarsantimiar Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by sycofiend

and as I have seen mentioned elsewhere too, the community is 10000x better than some *other* game communities. even though ganking is basically part of the game, there seem be less of the typicall leetspeak kiddies you find in other PvP situations.

There is a reason for the good community and the low amount of typical leetspeak kiddies. The simple fact that if you smack talk some big corporation, you will find yourself hunted/wardec/killed till they get bored or some other idiot comes along.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Some people have already given good answers for 2, so I won't rehash that here.

However, for point 1:

If your goal is to be able to use absolutely everything in the game, then yes, you probably won't catch up to the veterans. So don't even consider that a goal. Specialize.

You gain skills by first installing a skillbook and then selecting it to train, and it slowly does over time. First off, that saves having to grind that skill a-la-crafting in many other MMOs (such as WoW); you just press the Start button and then go kill stuff, mine, turn off the computer and have lunch, have sex...you get the idea.

Every single skill in the game, EVERY ONE, has five levels, and five levels only. So once you get a particular skill to level 5, you are just as good at that skill as a veteran 10 years older than you. You've caught up, and barring advanced capital ship (and corresponding equipment) and corp management skills, once you unlock a skill (i.e. are allowed to install the skillbook) it can be maxed to level 5 within about a month.

Another key thing is to specialize. So what if an old veteran can fly everything up to and including the battleships of all four races with the maxed tech II equipment? At equal skill levels, ship class and equipment grades, if used and fit properly the standard combat ships of all four races are more or less on par with each other, with slight variations and tactics for each, and that's only really a concern if you're going 1 on 1. I've seen a several year old veteran in a battleship taken out by a squad of guys in nothing but rookie frigates. Take a browse through the various races and their ship designs, consider some relevant tactics, pick ONE of them, and focus on that one race. You don't even have to max out every ship class; pick a size you like and go for that, for example the battlecruisers. If you can max out the relevant skills and equipment for one good battlecruiser for the role you like to fly in, it's not going to matter if you go against a veteran that's 1 year or 10 years older than you, or if they can mine, or fly every frigate, cruiser and battleship, or fly capital ships, if they come at you in another battlecruiser; there isn't much more they can bring to the field that you can't, regardless of what race they use if the ship class is the same.

And the amount of time it would take you to max that battlecruiser is a mere fraction of the amount of time it took them to max out all that other stuff...which you don't need to even consider in that situation.

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Some people have already given good answers for 2, so I won't rehash that here.

However, for point 1:

If your goal is to be able to use absolutely everything in the game, then yes, you probably won't catch up to the veterans. So don't even consider that a goal. Specialize.

You gain skills by first installing a skillbook and then selecting it to train, and it slowly does over time. First off, that saves having to grind that skill a-la-crafting in many other MMOs (such as WoW); you just press the Start button and then go kill stuff, mine, turn off the computer and have lunch, have sex...you get the idea.

Every single skill in the game, EVERY ONE, has five levels, and five levels only. So once you get a particular skill to level 5, you are just as good at that skill as a veteran 10 years older than you. You've caught up, and barring advanced capital ship (and corresponding equipment) and corp management skills, once you unlock a skill (i.e. are allowed to install the skillbook) it can be maxed to level 5 within about a month.

Another key thing is to specialize. So what if an old veteran can fly everything up to and including the battleships of all four races with the maxed tech II equipment? At equal skill levels, ship class and equipment grades, if used and fit properly the standard combat ships of all four races are more or less on par with each other, with slight variations and tactics for each, and that's only really a concern if you're going 1 on 1. I've seen a several year old veteran in a battleship taken out by a squad of guys in nothing but rookie frigates. Take a browse through the various races and their ship designs, consider some relevant tactics, pick ONE of them, and focus on that one race. You don't even have to max out every ship class; pick a size you like and go for that, for example the battlecruisers. If you can max out the relevant skills and equipment for one good battlecruiser for the role you like to fly in, it's not going to matter if you go against a veteran that's 1 year or 10 years older than you, or if they can mine, or fly every frigate, cruiser and battleship, or fly capital ships, if they come at you in another battlecruiser; there isn't much more they can bring to the field that you can't, regardless of what race they use if the ship class is the same.

And the amount of time it would take you to max that battlecruiser is a mere fraction of the amount of time it took them to max out all that other stuff...which you don't need to even consider in that situation.

I would like to add that cheap, low level ships... when equipped right and flown by someone with some experience - not a whole lot but some can be just as dangerous as any other ship.  Sometimes speed is better than firepower cause if they cannot hit you it is hard to beat you.  And the other thing - if you lose a rifter - oh well... you lose a drake or something.. there can be wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Common rule - do not fly what you cannot afford to lose.

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

hi everyone,

i like sci-fiction mmos and i really wanted to play EVE looks interesting and fun that i have read about it, but there is a problem idownlaoded the trial and made a account.

i started the game and all seems ok but as i started to fly my first mission it got damn complex and prectically i got lost cant catch all off it stutorial, and for me who never had contact before with games like EVE its hard to catch up with it.

so im in doubt now should i trie and continue or leave it be, i would really like to play it but thats only thing turning me off if i need 6 months or more just to get the basics of the game.

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Originally posted by ElderRat

Been putting this off.  Played EQ2 again... ugh. Played Rift, not a bad game but certainly the easiest and most soloable WoW clone I've found.  Considered the original WQ but meh.  Considered LOTRO again but between f2p and the last expansion I have no hope for it anymore. Guess it is time to dust off my old accounts and retire to EVE.  At least I know it is fun, and challenging, and frustrating and dangerous and.. well a damn good MMO.  See ya in there.

It doesn't matter where ever I wander, or what every I do, I always end up back playing Eve.  It sticks to you like b****y super glue.

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77

played eve for 4 years.  the game is good. however not as good as ad videos shows. 

pve is rather dull, solo play is very boring after some time, pvp solo is mostly suicide. and for all fun things u usually need a lot of isk so usually lots of grinding, which eats lots of time, like kind of second work. however u can pvp on crap. 

everything else is good i think.  

i stoped playing now cause dont have enough time for it. but may be return one day

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by sycofiend

I was the biggest carebear theme-park MMO'er ever  (EQ, EQ2, WOW, Rift).. and I tried EVE because I was burned out of the same-old same-old and boy am I glad I did.

I did try AION at one point, a game which made me echo some of the OP's sentiments about non-consentual PVP, however EVE has me hooked, and I now wonder why I never bothered to try it sooner.

EVE PvP is fun, and draws you in quickly.

its not quite the same as the other games, where ganking someone didnt mean anything, here it does. if they gank you in highsec, they will be losing a ship too, and as others mentioned .. the fact that you know you arent really safe anywhere adds a level of uncertainty and thrill to the game. that combined with the fact there is no pre-set quest treadmill or advancement path .. you pretty much set your own goals makes the experience quite unique. If you are part of a corp, then he will likley have to face the wrath of your corp mates too .. and there are bounties etc.

As others mentioned at first glance, the skill system sounds unfair and hokey if you are thinking of it from the jaded lenses of a theme park mmo.

The flip side is , that I can spend literally 10 minutes a day managing my skill queues, and still progress in the game (not that you would want to, and actually I find myself having to pry myself away from the game for things like .. sleep) ;0)

I have had a freighter ship loaded with modules ganked on the way home from Jita, it taught me a lesson.

I also (only playing a few months now)  managed to pop some would be gankers, trying to flip my jetcans, it was awesome and now I have fun running around low sec and getting into fights.

The game is deep, makes you think and gets the adrenaline going like no other MMO I have played.

Have actually had friendly exchanges with gankers, they blow you up but are polite about it :P

In general Eve is like that, people will treat you the way you treat them.  I was a low sec pirate for most of my time in Eve.  After some kills people would ask for advice on the tactics or ship fits.  We would always help them out.  We even recruited some people who showed some spirit and willingness to fight.  After other kills we received hate mails or local smack.  Our corp treated them like a badge of honor, we had a whole forum section devoted to rage / whine mails and chat logs.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Crosswire

Originally posted by ElderRat

It doesn't matter where ever I wander, or what every I do, I always end up back playing Eve.  It sticks to you like b****y super glue.

yea know exactly how you feel.  Just reopened both my accounts  and did some mining/hauling.

Was surprised to find out that my corp was still part of the alliance and some of my old friends still there.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

There is no "established" base line for skill points or experience.

Eve has had a slow, but steady trickle of players new to the game since it started so there is a huge diversity in players young and old.

And since new players are starting all the time, just a few weeks after joininig there will already be a lot of players 'behind' you

The only question really is when you step in.

One thing is for sure, Eve, with Dust, is heading in the direction of a player boom... so there would be an advantage to getting in early

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

EVE always seems to be a constant. I have tried it several times, with little success (all my fault). It's the game I want to love, but never seem to get enough time to really learn it and meet people.  I'm jumping around between a few games at the moment. Not really settled  or satisfied totally with any of them. I expect i'll be back in EVE in the next several months, looking for a corp, and people to play with.

To the OP, very glad you have found a home, I hope it works out for you.

best of luck. 

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.