Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DaoC 2 is here! Sort of

DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

This is a blog I wrote that is a good read for anyone who enjoyed DaoC.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Darrgen/122011/22343_DaoC-2-is-here-Sort-of

Bump blog if you liked!

Comments

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Guild Wars 2 will also have RvRvR with captuable keeps

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Ehmm..this topic is about Prime... you clever GW2 fans; always find an excuse to shove your videos, pictures and 'best game evarr' in every topic. lol

I liked your blog OP, it was very nice read.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by onthestick

Ehmm..this topic is about Prime... you clever GW2 fans; always find an excuse to shove your videos, pictures and 'best game evarr' in every topic. lol

Whats the harm done, the OP mentioned that if you liked DAoC then check out Prime.  Then the following guy pointed out the same thing but instead try GW2....why are you so afraid of GW2 that you must bash it at every opportunity?

Yes GW2 is the spuritual successor in ways to DAoC, even more so then Prime IMO but thats based on on silly things like facts which some people cant stand.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Whats the harm done, the OP mentioned that if yu liked DAoC then check out Prime.  TRhge following guy pointed out the same thing but instead try GW2....why are you so afraid of GW2 that you must bash it at every opportunity?

Yes GW2 is the spuritual successor in ways to DAoC, even more so then Prime IMO but thats basedon on silly things liek facts which some people cant stand.

I call it hijacking the OP. 

I don't bash GW2..every oppertunity? feel free to check my post history. But then again i don't go around telling people that they live crappy existence because they don't like GW2. 

*rolls eyes*

Now lets get back to topic? remember it is about prime.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Does Dominus have a realm point system? Camelot herald style stat tracking?

• DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Whats the harm done, the OP mentioned that if you liked DAoC then check out Prime.  Then the following guy pointed out the same thing but instead try GW2....why are you so afraid of GW2 that you must bash it at every opportunity?

Yes GW2 is the spuritual successor in ways to DAoC, even more so then Prime IMO but thats based on on silly things like facts which some people cant stand.

While I will play GW2, it isn't anywhere close to a spiritual successor to DaoC.  It will play nothing like daoc, the only fronts you could compare them on is the fact that it will have a form of RvR and it's fantasy.  Game mechanics is what makes a game a successor and Dominus is virtually Copying DaoC in that department. AoE CC, Group speed, interrupts etc. GW2 plays more like an action rpg which I'm in no way bashing because I too will be playing the hell out of GW2. However I will also be playing Dominus for a true DaoC like experience, that of which I haven't had in a very long time.

And yes eventually Dominus will have a realm point system equivalent. They said it might not make launch of the game but it would be added.(DaoC also didn't launch with RR system)

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    daoc2=Prime, Gw2, secre world. About time ppl realize pvp doesnt work with only 2 factions.

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

GW2 and The Secret World won't be even close to what RvR was in Dark Age of Camelot though. Part of what made DAoC PvP so great was persistent enemies from very different factions in a persistent world, and GW2 and TSW both have part of the equation. Guild Wars 2 will have completely arbitrary factions that won't be persistent or different in any way, while The Secret World will have persistent and differing factions, but only instanced PvP. I predict that both PvP systems will pale in comparison to Dark Age of Camelot and Dominus.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Arcona

Oh how exciting - and when your server vs server pvp occurs it will be the same darn classes and races squaring off at each other.  You can move along to your cut and paste.  These are ex-DAoC developers here, and this thread is Daoc players - we know what real three faction RvR entails, and it sure isn't capture the flag type instanced sillyness with same same cut and paste classes who mirror each other.

Move along, or better yet, look at Dominus, and try to understand why I feel that GW2 spam is just spam. 

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

daoc2=Prime, Gw2, secre world. About time ppl realize pvp doesnt work with only 2 factions.

Secret World announced no faction to faction pvp. Everyone is pals. GW2 has no variation between factions - because it's just server v server v server (don't let that RvRvR post fool you).  They wil lhave the same class race combos fighting ala Age of Conan.

Dominus and Dark Age of Camelot = true three realm RvRvR.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

I'm not sure why people are comparing Secret World and GW2 with DAOC. 

DAOC was a persistent, non-instanced world.  The RVR was between three different realms.  There were some PVE safe areas, though many did levelling PVE (at least early on in the game's history) in RVR areas (Darkness Falls, old frontiers, etc).  RVR yielded Realm points, not gear.  Most players used a crafted equipment template rounding out a few high level PVE drops. 

That entire description applies also to Dominus.  It does not apply to SW or GW2.

Do some reading on the Dominus Forums, or watch the Producer videos.  Think of Dominus as a game made by producers who want to make DAOC2, but they just don't have the license for it.  Therefore they have made some cosmetic changes (different name, space instead of fantasy, etc) along with improvements (being careful to preserve the fundamental gameplay of the original). 

Dominus is the real spiritual successor to DAOC.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

DOMINUS has an expanded beta(not open) comming up this comming week. Hopefully I will get an invite (HINT, HINT, NUDGE ,NUDGE ).

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

DOMINUS has an expanded beta(not open) comming up this comming week. Hopefully I will get an invite (HINT, HINT, NUDGE ,NUDGE ).

delayed slightly

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Jostle

GW2 and The Secret World won't be even close to what RvR was in Dark Age of Camelot though. Part of what made DAoC PvP so great was persistent enemies from very different factions in a persistent world, and GW2 and TSW both have part of the equation. Guild Wars 2 will have completely arbitrary factions that won't be persistent or different in any way, while The Secret World will have persistent and differing factions, but only instanced PvP. I predict that both PvP systems will pale in comparison to Dark Age of Camelot and Dominus.

actually you are wrong regarding tsw

It has instanced mini games yes

it also has these things called warzones, which are persitent PVP areas of the world, and looking at the videos for them are very daoc (they even have a simmilar thing to the relic system).  Another couple of encouraging things, no "special" PVP gear and no raids at launch.

however.....

TSW is a very graphic intensive game, so there will be player caps in the warzones, so it wont have the epic very large scale battles you could get in DAOC, so Dominus is more of the spiritual successor to DAOC yes, as it looks like it will handle much larger scales of PVP than both GW2 and TSW.   With Dominous it looks like PVP is the primary focus of the game, with TSW and GW2 they both look 50/50 games a welcome change to the usual PVE fests like WOW, RIFT and SWTOR, but not fully PVP orientated games.

GW2 doesn't have true RVR in my opinion.  The fact that it isn't 3 sides but matched 3 servers, takes away the community thing of fighting the same people.  Its also a fortnightly tournament not truly persistent.  Finally ArenaNet keep calling the arena "competative PVP" and the mists "casual PVP" which I find off putting.

Personally I'm interested in all 3 (and Planetside2 and ArcheAge)  It's bloody great news we are finally getting some MMOs that aren't bloody wow clones.

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by Jostle

actually you are wrong regarding tsw

It has instanced mini games yes

it also has these things called warzones, which are persitent PVP areas of the world, and looking at the videos for them are very daoc (they even have a simmilar thing to the relic system).  Another couple of encouraging things, no "special" PVP gear and no raids at launch.

Ahh, I see. I didn't even notice that their "warzones" were different than their "battlefields." It seems as though they've added some instanced-style mechanics to open PvP zones, which I think is a fairly neat idea. It looks like there will be several of these open PvP zones with different mechanics involved in each, but the wiki only talks about one tug of war sounding system. That's a huge step forward for me, but I still think I'd rather stay away from TSW more for the whole ARG aspect than anything else.

I stand corrected, however. Thanks for pointing that out!

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

gw2 will be nice, it'll definitely be fun. I'll play multiple games, including d3 etc.. So tons of stuff will come out this year. I suspect the market will be splintered, i do think dominus is under rated and smaller but THAT'S OK! I  remember when 50k were on daoc at primetime and i thought that was a lot... lol

I am in stress test again, and i'll help them out the best i can, i just hope the perfomance issues are fixed as well as some control issues.. Like  pressing w and a together and the camera not moving... annoying

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Was in the stress test, hope to get more opportunities to test the game more extensively later on.

Dominus could be really cool. It's good to see developers with a clear focus - they're not trying to please everyone by just tacking on some limited PvP to a PvE themepark, they're building the whole game around PvP and they are building upon the great foundation that DAOC is.

Lots of people have been wanting a DAOC 2 and this is probably it.

The only issue I fear is that some crowds won't like the sci-fi style of the game, but on the other hand other crowds are tired of the fantasy stuff and actually want a different look.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Biskop

Was in the stress test, hope to get more opportunities to test the game more extensively later on.

Dominus could be really cool. It's good to see developers with a clear focus - they're not trying to please everyone by just tacking on some limited PvP to a PvE themepark, they're building the whole game around PvP and they are building upon the great foundation that DAOC is.

The only issue I fear is that some crowds won't like the sci-fi style of the game, but on the other hand other crowds are tired of the fantasy stuff and actually want a different look.

Your right, as a sci-fi setting i don't see it grabbing the crowd a fantasy type setting would grab.. Persons may say they they are tired of the fantasy setting, but those setting most of the time pull the big numbers..

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Originally posted by Biskop

Your right, as a sci-fi setting i don't see it grabbing the crowd a fantasy type setting would grab.. Persons may say they they are tired of the fantasy setting, but those setting most of the time pull the big numbers..

Yeah, and also: there are fantasy settings and there are fantasy settings.

I'm personally sick to death of the WoW-styled, cartoony look with flashing rainbow colours and over-sized weapons and armour. I'm sick of elves and dwarves and dragons.

Still I love the fantasy genre and would really like an MMO with a "dark and gritty", realistic style.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Comaf

Originally posted by Arcona

Oh how exciting - and when your server vs server pvp occurs it will be the same darn classes and races squaring off at each other.  You can move along to your cut and paste.  These are ex-DAoC developers here, and this thread is Daoc players - we know what real three faction RvR entails, and it sure isn't capture the flag type instanced sillyness with same same cut and paste classes who mirror each other.

Move along, or better yet, look at Dominus, and try to understand why I feel that GW2 spam is just spam. 

Hmmm, i am a huge DAoC player and i would go back to play DAoC if i knew there was a decent pop. but there isn't.

Honestly, i am craving Dominus and GW2, in fact because GW2 does not have a sub i will be buying and playing both, i might even get The Secret World. I have always thought that games that limit themselves to 2 factions are just lazy and shortsighted (looking at you Warhammer online).

I think it is also shortsighted to be shorting either of these games and i fully feel that Dominus has been ignored when it should be examined more. 

Regardless until i have sat down and played all three of these games i will withhold judgement on which one i will stick with.

Lolipops !

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

sadly TSW has scaled back the PVP in the last month.  Now its just 1 warzone, and you ahve to do 2/3rds of the pve before you can enter it (because they dont have faction locks)

so unfortunately anther 90% PVE game like all them wow clones

but... at least Dominus, GW2 & planetside 2 to look forwards to.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ok for any wondering!,do you remember a live stream about 6 month ago this is it! i never took it very seriously back then cause like eq2 they cannot even do one basic thing stream smoothly in 1080p!that was then i went to their site and wow site say media but when i clicked a 360p video greeted me!wow they evolved!they were building the game back then not sure how is the status of this project yet!but what i did see in their 3 part video and their intented goal looked very promising!but daoc 2?wow i wouldnt have took the chance cause daoc alone are very big shoe to fill be it a beginner corp or an exprienced.daoc is still roling and there is a reason for it !it is a good concept!

yea i think its going to be similiar to daoc but scifi and a bit diffreant

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Thats because WvWvW in GW2 is about the same as the RvR in DAoC....

And then its a SciFi game, my predictions after reading the blog is that GW2 will be much closer to DAoC's RvR. Just having PvP with 3 sides and adding some bases does not equall DAoC.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Thats because WvWvW in GW2 is about the same as the RvR in DAoC....

And then its a SciFi game, my predictions after reading the blog is that GW2 will be much closer to DAoC's RvR. Just having PvP with 3 sides and adding some bases does not equall DAoC.

im not so sure about that