Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally giving this game a go

ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

What can I expect? How noob friendly is LoL?

Comments

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

The game itself is really, really, really noob friendly and easy to play.

The tutorial does suck.  Especially the old one with Ashe. But you get the basic. After that there's game vs bots to pratice at start if you want.

The community on the other side.... is horrible and far to be noob friendly.

You actually might get banned for just beeing bad at the game.

Make sure to have a thick skin and be ready to mute 20 different peoples a day, maybe more,  if you want to enjoy the game.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

This genre is not for noobs, plain and simple. If you have bad game sense and don't pick things up quickly or accept advice from people with bad attitudes you won't last very long...

League of Legends is the easiest entry into the genre in terms of required skill, but even then the community is awful and extremely 'tryhard'.

If you intend on playing this game, HoN, or Dota 2 at all and don't want to end up being a liability to your team, practice a lot, do your research, read about heroes, builds, items, ect long before you start trolling ranked games.

As a veteran of the franchise since DOTA 1, nothing is more frustrating than playing an experienced team with someone totally clueless on your team, it's not your fault, but it truly ruins the game for every one else who has to sit there for 45+ minutes with you.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

if you stick to playing against computer AI then yes, the game is very noob friendly. you can team up with other beginners and learn to play as a team and try out characters, experiment. its actually fun and relaxing. playing against the AI can be quite rewarding because they can be pretty smart at times, especially with the new ai improvement patch, and use a variety of smart team tactics to try to win. However, once you start playing against real players then you will start to see people rage, trash talk, curse, and get completely stressed out- which is not unusual of any team-based competetive game/sport. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

find some people to play with and teach you the game, its noob friendly if you find noob friendly people to play with.

A lot of competative games are harsh on new players.

A lot of competative sports are harsh on new players...

Competative things = hard for new comers to get into.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by Arawulf

What can I expect? How noob friendly is LoL?

When you join the normal queue you get to play against people of the same level unless you join friends that are higher.

This means you end up fighitng against people with roughly the same amount of mastery points which can make a big difference when combined with the rune pages at level 30.

However some people that are level X are not as skilled as others while some level X may be very skilled, it pretty much depends on the player and their know how of the game.

If you can judge well when to attack, retreat, push, when to use your summonder spells, when to use your ultimate skill etc. then half your work is done already,.

A tip; save your IP for when you at least hit lvl 20 cos you'll need a lot of it to buy a whole rune page full of the highest runes. Do not buy the earlier ones as they're pretty much a waste for when you hit 20 +.

• htiger23htiger23 Member Posts: 113

Depending upon your budget, the best way to actually spend money on this game, in my opinion, is as follows:

Spend no IP at all on champions.

Buy Tier 1 runes for champions that you play a lot (They are very very cheap).

Use all of your IP on Tier 3 runes.

Use all of your money on champions.

As you play the game more, this will change a bit.  I haven't paid any cash for champions in months since I've been playing for about a year.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Requiem6

ill agree that the community can be very terrible at times. I must point out that you CANT be banned for bad game play, you may get rage reports from players but those reports will never make it past tribunal to be considered for player banning.

Also DO NOT spend money to buy champions as htiger23 suggests. IP is easy to get and can be used to buy any champion. Runes are very important and will be replaced quickly as you level up.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

The tutorial does suck.  Especially the old one with Ashe. But you get the basic. After that there's game vs bots to pratice at start if you want.

Make sure to have a thick skin and be ready to mute 20 different peoples a day, maybe more,  if you want to enjoy the game.

I've been playing LoL for 2 days now, I'm a complete noob and play like one, haven't been flamed or trolled once...let alone banned.

The only remark I got in about 7 games was "be careful" because I got killed early once. That's all.

I'm not playing ranked games ofc. There it's surely a different atmosphere.

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Charas

Nonsense. I've been playing LoL for 2 days now, I'm a complete noob and play like one, haven't been flamed or trolled once...let alone banned.

The only remark I got in about 7 games was "be careful" because I got killed early once. That's all.

But then again I play on EU west, that might have something to do with it.

No that has absoultely nothing to do with it as I play on EU west also.

If what you're saying is the truth, then you have been exceptionally lucky and I wish you have that luck further ahead but I already know its only a matter of time.

If somehow lower levels were less flammatory then I've forgotten that, either way once you get a higher level you can expect flaming and rudeness in 9 out of 10 games whether it be towards you or amongst others in your team, if I was counting the opposite team as a factor then its more like 9.9 out of 10 games.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by narakuu

Nonsense. I've been playing LoL for 2 days now, I'm a complete noob and play like one, haven't been flamed or trolled once...let alone banned.

If what you're saying is the truth, then you have been exceptionally lucky and I wish you have that luck further ahead but I already know its only a matter of time.

If somehow lower levels were less flammatory then I've forgotten that, either way once you get a higher level you can expect flaming and rudeness in 9 out of 10 games whether it be towards you or amongst others in your team, if I was counting the opposite team as a factor then its more like 9.9 out of 10 games.

Yeah that was a stupid remark, I removed it.

I play very late at night though... That surely has more to do with it.

• AxeshunAxeshun Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by Tsuru

ill agree that the community can be very terrible at times. I must point out that you CANT be banned for bad game play, you may get rage reports from players but those reports will never make it past tribunal to be considered for player banning.

Also DO NOT spend money to buy champions as htiger23 suggests. IP is easy to get and can be used to buy any champion. Runes are very important and will be replaced quickly as you level up.

I think spending IP on T1 runes and T3 runes is the way to go but many champs are like 6300 IP, that IP is better saved for runes.  I think its just fine to spend some cash on champs. But I definitely suggest trying them out during their free week before being bought.  

To the OP, the game isnt to noob friendy.  It has a giant learning curve and an ill tempered community.  Bot games are the way to go to learn mechanics and such.  Fortunately, once you have a grasp of the game, it is incredibly rewarding PvP experience.  Just master the understanding of the game prior to solo quein regs.  

Yeah that was a stupid remark, I removed it.

I play very late at night though... That surely has more to do with it.

I play dominion for the vast majority of time and I dont notice much difference there regardless of the time. I've had very few times where it felt like everyone was an adult on my team and if there was any chatting going on it was simply humorus or a helpful tip without the usual snarkyness or sarcasm.

But yes maybe if you play the regular game mode theres a noticeable difference there in regard to the behaviour of people playing depending on what time it is since I would guess most kids have no choice but to go to sleep before midnight or around that time.

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

Good luck OP. Hope you have lots of fun.  It is a really great game.

I played LOL for quite awhile, but the community is BRUTAL. Brutal almost beyond imagination if you play enough. I finally just gave up playing it... took too much energy just trying to deal with these... um... sure, "people". I found myself getting tense while waiting for the game to load... figured it was time to leave and find something that others play to have fun.

Also, have fun against the bots, but dont play against them too much - there is almost zero comparison to a live match, and if you stay there too long, you can develop bad habits.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

The game is very noob friendly and insane amounts of fun. Its one of those games that is easy to pick up for a couple of hours here and there. Now.....the community is HORRIBLE and every time a new champion comes along be ready for a week of getting pwnd unless you play the new champion. Riot can never get new champions right, it always takes them a patch or two before they balance new champs.

Originally posted by Kuppa

The game is very noob friendly and insane amounts of fun. Its one of those games that is easy to pick up for a couple of hours here and there. Now.....the community is HORRIBLE and every time a new champion comes along be ready for a week of getting pwnd unless you play the new champion. Riot can never get new champions right, it always takes them a patch or two before they balance new champs.

I've always just thought that its intentionally done so that theres a bigger pull for people to buy the new champions.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Kuppa

I've always just thought that its intentionally done so that theres a bigger pull for people to buy the new champions.

That might be a possibilitty, its pretty irritating image

• ZoterixZoterix Member Posts: 20

From lvl 1 - 30 the game realy is noob friendly, there isnt much strategy goin on, also people insta-lock champion they want to play and dont care about the team compositon, its just about kills, kills and kills, but I think its a MUST experience. Ranked games are completly diferent, check out some tournament streams or high elo games.

Well community is 50/50 for me, there are lot off good people lot off bad also. Leavers, afkers, flamers.. This is a VERY competitive game, when you winning you smile and shine, when you loose you will rage like hell >.>

This is the first game ever where I used insane combination of ugly words on chat, but it not helps, if someone is doing bad dont insult him or ti will be even more horrible, dont get low when you get insulted, dont worry to report someone it will not ban him instantly, but if people will report him in many games then he got a big chance to get banned.

Play with buddies and cool people you find in game, there are also chat rooms and clans you should check out. Playing this game solo can be very frustrating, also its team dependant, somethimes you can be rrealy  the one who carries the team and singlehandedly destroying everyone on map, but that can happen only in solo queve in inbalanced team compostion. Also feeding...if a champion get early kills and keeps "snowballing" he will be unstopable 1vs1, then 1vs2 or 1vs3 like Master Yi, Akali and other bad ass champs.

Read guides a LOT guides, dont waste IP points on champs you didnt tried expecialy the expensive ones. Tier 1 champs doesnt mean to be weaker or anything, for example Ryze is played on tournaments a lot and he is actualy one of the cheapest. Its just about their release. Some champions have strong early game like Brand, some are strong late game like most of the tanks, they will be pretty much immortal if build well, also some champs need a lot practice to play efectively, some champs need good items, some champs dont fit in teams....  So its good to have a ranged, melee, tank and mage for soloq so you take what your team needs.

GL&HF