Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your best memory of your favorite MMORPG?

AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287

My best memory of my favorite MMORPG....dang....tough question and I am the one asking the question...

There are several, so I will pick one....

In Everquest 1, one of the first times I was in a group in Guk (whoa was that scary), we were all hunkered down in a room not too deep into the dungeon (maybe 5 or 6 "rooms" in) and we had a higher level monk pull for us.  He would run down the hall and disappear and after 20-30 seconds or so would come running back with a Froglok chasing him not 10 yards behind him.  He would bring him to us lowbies (we actually were the appropriate level for upper Guk, but if things got dicey....we were all dead...and death in a dungeon in EQ1 was a precarious affair to say the least).  I remember one time the monk pulling a Froglok to us, except as we saw him reappear he shouted "RUN!" "RUN!".  Behind him was not 1, but a dozen or so hopping Frogloks chasing behind him, nipping at his heels, and we all panic....I tried to run across the planks but fell in and I watched as all dozen Frogloks chased after everyone above me who successfully made it across the planks.  I felt like I dodged a bullet....whew...was I glad they ignored me or I was hosed.

After I climbed out of the hole I had fallen in, I saw a few of my fellow comrades (group members) who had been slain by the Froggies.....SUCKERS I thought....they should have fallen into the pit like I had.....just as I was finishing that thought...I saw all 12 of the Frogloks rushing from the entrance towards me....they hadn't forgotten about me at all...they were coming back to get me....I died right next to my friends who had already died....

This may not seem like a "great" memory to some....but this was the kind of thing that made me LOVE EQ1....the fear of death....the excitement of fighting in a dungeon....the dependence of others to help you succeed....etc.  Anyway...I have others, but this one (or I should say "these" in Guk) were at least some of my favorite.

Comments

• KaminahKaminah Member Posts: 4

I used to play Ragnarok Online a lot.

I leveled a Rogue at Stalactic Golems, mobbing them with claymore trap. I'd gather up about 20-50 golems depending on my mood and place a claymore trap (does more damage based on how many targets it hits).

The private server I was playing on was starting to die, but I stuck there. Eventually people started to clear out, and I was sort of left with the whole map.

The map was covered with aggressive mobs, but I'd still go AFK there to get food or go to the bathroom forgetting that I would come back dead because I had spent so much time there that th map felt like my home almost.

Some person in some guild wanted to learn how to mob stalactic golems, and asked one of their friends who had heard about me and referred them to me.

It was really weird. I sat at this very dangerous map for hours on hours until it felt completely safe, I knew every nook and cranny. I had my tips and tricks that I didn't name, I just used. Then one day someone recognizes me because of that. Like he asked his friend, and was referred to me.

• KeshanberkKeshanberk Member Posts: 81

Lineage 1 - Silver Knight Town, elders and floating eyes would attack the town. The goblins that would leave broadswords on the ground as traps for new players--once picked up, the goblins would attack. Talking Island was also a good memory...Kurtz and the dock, etc.

Redmoon - This game is as old as Lineage 1...it didn't go very far, but private servers still exist.

Ragnarok Online - I played the alpha of RO...god damn this game was good when it was new. Killing baphomet solo and getting the same 4 items every time -- tsurugi, ring, 2 handed axe..and something else.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Playing a purist in old EQ.

Killing cross teamers on the pvp servers, telling them to loot and scoot. I used to take great pleasure in corpse camping those that refused back in the day.

The server had 4 teams split. Humans, short races, elves and then the evil side of trolls ogres and dark elves. The guild I was in had a mantra of keeping the server that way. Those that broke the "rules" to suck on the great xp titty felt our wrath. People were given a window to leave the area and scatter. Some complied others didn't. Those that didn't just made the nights more fun

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I'd have to say mine was in Dark Age of Camelot.

I was an Albion Theurgist, the game was still in its infancy, and the Midgard realm outnumbered and outskilled both the Albion and Hibernia  populations on our server (Merlin server).

How we suffered at the hands of our enemy.

The Midgardians had taken ALL of our relics with practically no contest, and they held them for about two months, giving them both a realm advantage and a relic bonus advantage.  We just couldn't take them back as a single realm no matter how hard we tried.

Then a rumor started spreading--- someone from the Albion realm was collaborating with a leading figure in the Hibernian realm, and there was a raid in the planning that would unite both our realms against the forces of Midgard, and WE WERE GOING TO TAKE OUR RELICS BACK!!!

The relic raid was slated to start at an ungodly hour when most Midgardians would either be too tired to respond, or asleep, so it was planned for about 4 a.m. PST.

Through an amazing effort, a leader for one of the more active Albion guilds helped coordinate hundreds of Albion players to meet up with hundreds of players from the Hibernian realm.  We deployed forces to Midgardian keeps, and despite the imbalanced use of crowd control spells and area-of-effect spells used on us by Midgardian forces (which used to be highly overpowered compared to other realm's skills and classes), we persevered through sheer zerg force, pushing them back and reclaiming our relics.

It was amazing how quickly the Midgardians responded.  Friends must have called friends, because the Midgard defensive was vast.  We didn't take them by as much of a surprise as we had hoped, but we overcame them.  The committment by some of our more seasoned raiders shown clear as they came charging into the fray, laying waste to veteran Midgardians. Spell effects, explosions, and the sounds of dying were all around us.  Corpses lay everywhere!

The amount of forces on hand amounted to hundreds of players from each realm, the server lag was almost unbearable, and most of us had to aim our in-game camera perspectives toward the ground to move, hoping we'd live through the onslaught--- but we crushed the Midgardian forces, taking their relics and peacably splitting them among the two conquering realms; Albion and Hibernia.  We had our power back, and we had Midgard's power as well!  We crippled them and gained strength through the Midgard relics we held!

The feeling of elation that everyone felt was amazing!  The chat windows were roaring with cheers, Albion players bowed or saluted Hibernians with respect, and assassination forces went to camp the graves of our enemies-- to demoralize the straggling Midgardian players that thought that they could scrape a retaliation force against us.

We had finally crushed our foe and left them disspirited and powerless.  VICTORY WAS OURS!!

To this day, that is my most fond MMORPG memory ever.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

The StarWars theme song playing at the Jedi Shine after I unlocked.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 245

Giving some bad advice to a fellow EQ player about how to format his /lastname. He ended up with a last name the same as his first, I felt bad, but laughed so damn hard at Mr. Laccan Laccan. And that time I got drunk while I was grouping with a bard and running through a zone. I swear when I woke up and logged in my cleric was embedded half way up a castle wall. Yes he had lev and selo's on, but jesus, how the hell did I end up *that* high?

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    @Bart, bro i was there for that fight! I was on hib side thou*also on kay server* I miss those days, when two under pop realms would team up to take down the bigger realm. Dam you're post made me wish i could re live those fights again.
  • deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by BarelyEin

Giving some bad advice to a fellow EQ player about how to format his /lastname. He ended up with a last name the same as his first, I felt bad, but laughed so damn hard at Mr. Laccan Laccan. And that time I got drunk while I was grouping with a bard and running through a zone. I swear when I woke up and logged in my cleric was embedded half way up a castle wall. Yes he had lev and selo's on, but jesus, how the hell did I end up *that* high?

Thanks... That is one of the best laughs I've had in a long time hehe

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Outer Empires, 5am when i cast the decidimg vote for my election as President of the Galactic Council after somehow getting my active pirate character through a popular vote to the council through sheer invented charisma and chutzpah and then finessing that into presidential votes from the other councillors using the various faction rivalries to my advantage.

Although run a close second was 3 months later when I used a loophole in the constitution to vote myself the budget surplus of 15m credits, well I was openly a pirate..

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    The first time I went to a Molten Core raid in WoW was really something Ill never forget. The raid I was in only had like 35 people from 3 guilds which let me slip in at 58 because any dps is better than no dps. Just zoning in for the first time and seeing those two giant lava golems staring at you was crazy. I was like "we gotta kill those things?!?!"

And the first Ragnaros kill was special, watching the giant hammer fly in the air was awesome
  • BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

EQ1 first time I charmed a giant to kill another giant and actually succeded! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

My favourite memory was actually a metagame experience: finding the UO:Kingdom Reborn promo website at the end of a long  mix of ingame events and message board collaberative speculation.

(but then when the new client was prematurely released and flopped, I was stuck with nagging irrational feeling of guilt that I was somehow personally responsible for everything that went wrong)

Originally posted by punkrock

@Bart, bro i was there for that fight! I was on hib side thou*also on kay server* I miss those days, when two under pop realms would team up to take down the bigger realm. Dam you're post made me wish i could re live those fights again.

Oh man, that's awesome!  Those were damned good times!  I wish I could find another game that brought about that kind of sense of community and those sorts of epic moments!

Hail, Pre-TOA-DAoC!

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

My strongest and special memory in an MMORPG would have to be shortly after I started WoW, I was playing with a good friend of mine from another game, we were trying wow together and both she and I loved it.

I remember we were standing on a path in Darkshore as little noobs, talking on msn and one conversation lead to another and I ended up declaring the feelings I already had for her.

2 years later we got married, for real not in game XD

We still go back to visit that same spot now and then, remember the good times :)

Goes to show you, you can meet your match anywhere :)

Originally posted by Dragonantis

My strongest and special memory in an MMORPG would have to be shortly after I started WoW, I was playing with a good friend of mine from another game, we were trying wow together and both she and I loved it.

I remember we were standing on a path in Darkshore as little noobs, talking on msn and one conversation lead to another and I ended up declaring the feelings I already had for her.

2 years later we got married, for real not in game XD

We still go back to visit that same spot now and then, remember the good times :)

Goes to show you, you can meet your match anywhere :)

I need a "Like" button for this!  Kudos!  That is awesome!

Wait...

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Funny but simple...

Back when the very first Monster Hunter was released on the PS2 (yes, this was technically an MMO, it had 1000s of online players and many servers at launch). First this I did was go online and find a group of guys just like me. People who just picked up the game and were rearing to go.. We could take on the world! We all decided that we could gang up on the first, weakest Dragon that was huntable..

Together we ran into the forests, charging the dragon as it appeared in sight! All of our weapons bounced off its thick hide, and it peeked us to death with his big beek-ish face one by one in a matter of seconds.

I was shocked! A bitter taste of reality hit me, I had found a challanging game! Afterwards, several years of fun followed.

RIP Monster Hunter.

Originally posted by TemperHoof

Funny but simple...

Back when the very first Monster Hunter was released on the PS2 (yes, this was technically an MMO, it had 1000s of online players and many servers at launch). First this I did was go online and find a group of guys just like me. People who just picked up the game and were rearing to go.. We could take on the world! We all decided that we could gang up on the first, weakest Dragon that was huntable..

Together we ran into the forests, charging the dragon as it appeared in sight! All of our weapons bounced off its thick hide, and it peeked us to death with his big beek-ish face one by one in a matter of seconds.

I was shocked! A bitter taste of reality hit me, I had found a challanging game! Afterwards, several years of fun followed.

RIP Monster Hunter.

There is a supposed homage to Monster Hunter in development called RaiderZ, you can read more about it here on MMORPG.com.

Here's the link:  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/604/RaiderZ.html

Although there's a minimal amount of coverage here on this site, there are a lot of gameplay videos for it on YouTube, and there was a pretty cool article about it in the last issue of games™ magazine.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

My 1st siege in Darkfall, unique fight with hunders of ppl. i still dont remember how many ppl i fully looted :D

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Completing the quest for my AF blm hat in FFXI back in 04, something special about getting that hat..

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

When myself and another Magician in my Everquest completed the Orb of Mastery (epic 1.0) quest 30 seconds apart from eachother.  We had both gotten very lucky and got the Staff of Elemental Mastery: Earth (the rarest item required for the quset, possibly the rarest item in the game at the time) about a week apart from eachother (at the time there was probably less than 10 of these on our server).  We both already had our Crown of Elemental Mastery (extremely hard to get raid drop), and what was left was a series of extremely long and difficult solo or small group camps.  We agreed that we would help eachother with the rest of each of our quests, and neither of us would complete the quest until we were both ready to complete it.  Finally about three months later after we had both completed everything, we went to the Plane of Sky and each completed our two quests, putting the total number of Orb of Mastery weilding mages on our server at just a handful, and if I'm not mistaken, making our guild the first on the server to have two mages that had completed it.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Knights online,

1 of my friend whom ive met in-game bring me for a tour of the world.

Its a huge seemless world! and ive seen all the mobs from the lowest to the most epic mobs around.

Pvp was epic, with the numbers of players dead being announce on screen , and you can see your alliance shouting, even when you didnt join them, in chat.

The winner side can come into your side of the world and kill all players! lol! so scary....

Was gona make it my aim to hit max level with my friends and kill the bird thing, but alas, wasted all my hard earn money buying dupe chitin from the wrong players who was hacking the game, which was wipe out few days later. Log in naked and i quit the game.... very sad...

haiz..... k2

RIP Orc Choppa

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I remember once while playing Final Fantasy XI, I was running through La Theine Plateau and I came across a ram.

...wasn't an ordinary Battering Ram, it was an NM (notorious monster).

...wasn't Lumbering Lambert, who also appears in La Theine from time to time...it was Bloodtear Baldurf, an extremely rare, and at the time crazy powerful NM.

I was a Lv. 55 Samurai. La Theine Plateau is a level 7~10ish zone. I thought to myself, "Woah I've never seen that thing before...but I'm Lv. 55, nothing in LaTheine can kill me." So I attacked him.

Five seconds later, he pops Mighty Strikes (an ability that makes every hit an auto critical). Three seconds after my character dropped. Two seconds later, so did my jaw.

Unexpectedly strong monsters in low level areas...you just don't see that anymore. Granted it was one of those "look back and laugh at it later" moments, but those were good times.

• Toast300Toast300 Member Posts: 3

Savage Eden. Just had alot of fun playing with my Son. Really would like to play it again if its still open.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

The Unstoppable Force + old stormstrike + 24h Alterac valley

super fun fun!

WoW Vanilla.

Let's internet

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

I haave 2 from 2 different games. The oldest memory is from Shadowbane.  Waking up at 4am to stop a seige on our city and the whole city had turned out.     It was great, Shadowbane was my favorite pvp fantasy game.  

Then there was the time when I was mining in a hi-sec system near a lo-sec system in EVe.  My system was like 0.7 or something.  I was playing 2 accounts - a miner and a hauler - mine the ore dump it, pick it up with the hauler. I had just finished filling up the hauler and was sending it back  to the base when a  couple of pirates showed up.  They killed my miner, and lost the attack ship but there was ahauler with scavenging unteamed right there that snapped everything up - even the attack ship that concord killed.  I got away with the ore(YaY) but lost an expensive barge(sadness).   I like that about EVE - never knowing when or where you are safe.

Currently bored with MMO's.