Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2!! What to do at level cap?

Comments

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

You're obviously not a Guild Wars 1 player.  In the world of Guild Wars max level does not matter. When players hit max level in GW1 they still had loads of places to explore, skills to unlock, titles to obtain,  and armor pieces to craft to make their character look pretty.  

In GW2 lvl 80 means you have reached lvl 80.  There are still places you may have yet to discover. There may be armor skins you would like to obtain or armor stats that you would like to have so your character dominates in WvW.  There may be skills that you havent obtained because you havent reached every corner of Tyria.  

Also guilds in the Guild Wars universe are very important so reaching lvl 80 means you can contribute to your guild a lot better by increasing production and influence for pvp. 

I really believe the OP has not done his/her research or is a GW1 veteran.  The reason why Guild Wars is made this way is so the game gets a productive community and  not  some server with a bunch of people sitting in front of some dungeon or raid.  GW2 is going to be truly different from other MMO's because of how it presents content and kids are too stubborn to see it. 

-I am here to perform logic

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Jonnas13

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by StriderXed

With all the complaints over SWTOR's and RIFTs lack of endgame content I think this site would be up in arms. 

Woah there.  Don't throw these 2 together.  Rift actually has endgame content.

Swtor had more end game raids at launch than rift did and it you saw how much screaming and ranting there was about lack of content. Given that GW 2 has no end game content specifically it will be interesting to see how the rabid fanatics try to turn this one around after the ravaging the same forum members gave swtor.

Broken bosses and encounters don't count and all end game content is not about raiding

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

End game starts at lv-...You know what. Forget it..

Doesn't that make things worse in terms of longtivity?

Seriouly imagine playing any other MMO, you spent weeks leveling to max level, when you get there you ask, "Hey whats there to do now?" and your response is, "Guess what you've been playing it the whole time!".

If Anet actually wants me to buy X-pacs and and what ever they throw in their store, they best have an acceptable endgame or else I might do what  I did with first GW and just wait till they bundel it up.

With all the complaints over SWTOR's and RIFTs lack of endgame content I think this site would be up in arms. 

If someone doesn't think dungeons, WvW ect. aren't good enough 'end game' for £40 they can quite happily stay out of GW2. If they're so obsessed about having every at level 80 they simply don't understand how to have fun any more. There's no gear treadmill in GW2. Once you've finished and complete the game to the point where you've had your fill, you simply go outside, have a life, get a girlfriend/boyfriend, play other games. What you don't do is craft a pathetic existance on a gear treadmill as the world passes you by, while 1%ers rake in your money as you slowly sink further into the oppresive skinner's box conditioning.

GW2 doesn't have a traditional endgame. But instead it is an actual game designed for fun, not a bunch of psychological tricks designed to drain you of £10 every month :D GW2 will last the average MMOer, if they aren't a completionist, play one storyline and hate any form of PvP about 200 hours. That's good enough by anyone's standards, that's a lot of game for £40.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Will this game succeed?

Yes, it only needs people to buy the box.

Will it last?

Not sure, the PvE crowd is a very large one and not a lot is offered to them in terms of GW2. Not to mention a large majority of the PvP crowd has nothing either. An e-sport fasioned WvWvWvW area, or arenas and no OWPvP or PvP gear does not appeal to a large majority of PvPers.

I do not deny it will be fun at first for sure, but will it stay popular? Only time will tell how fast people become bored with it, or if they add in more content later on.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

For me, it is WvWvW, i dont know if you have ever played DAOC, but the third "realm" is huge in my opinion, having three different teams fight for keeps, towers, land, is soo much fun, as 2 of the teams are fighting the third comes in and hits them both, it just adds so much more than instances, scenarios or even just head to head fights, you really have to watch your sides. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much for this game cause TOR let me down, but the more videos i watch and more i research, the better this game is looking at end game.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Seriouly imagine playing any other MMO, you spent weeks leveling to max level, when you get there you ask, "Hey whats there to do now?" and your response is, "Guess what you've been playing it the whole time!".

If Anet actually wants me to buy X-pacs and and what ever they throw in their store, they best have an acceptable endgame or else I might do what  I did with first GW and just wait till they bundel it up.

Rift has a lot more endgame content then SWTOR that is for sure

Depadable.

But you ignored what I typed.

I am seeing someone of a hypocritical mood here, in the case of ToR Rift and even Cata. The main complaints was lack of things to do at end game which was subjective due to both RIFT and TOR being new games at the time, but even then the two games had the baseline for a lot of content, look at RIFT now and TORs 1.2 notes.

How ever shitty you may thing the content in RIFT, WoW or TOR is at least its there. This is not the case when it comes to a few features in GW2. Not only is it missing a few of these features, Anet has no plans to add them. Then people procced to turn around and tell me, "Herp a derp, they'll play it because its fun.". Well I think lots of other types of mechanics are fun, so thats subjective.

Looking forward to this game all the same but come on.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by ComfyChair

If someone doesn't think dungeons, WvW ect. aren't good enough 'end game' they can quite happily stay out of GW2. If they're so obsessed about having every at level 80 they simply don't understand how to have fun any more. There's no gear treadmill in GW2. Once you've finished and complete the game to the point where you've had your fill, you simply go outside, have a life, get a girlfriend/boyfriend, play other games. What you don't do is craft a pathetic existance on a gear treadmill as the world passes you by.

GW2 doesn't have a traditional endgame. But instead it is an actual game designed for fun, not a bunch of psychological tricks designed to drain you of £10 every month :D

It's about the journey, y'know, that 200 hours BEFORE level 80 as well, something people seem to forgot a long time ago :p There's more than enough game for £40 by anyone's standards before you even start thinking about WvW :)

If you don't think there's enough 'game' in GW2 at release for £40 then GW2 simply isn't the right 'game' for you, and you should move on.

If it's not something to play for longer than the period in which you level your character, what purpose does it serve as an MMORPG? Luckily Anet plan on making an MMORPG, so this shouldn't be an issue.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Depadable.

I am seeing someone of a hypocritical mood here, in the case of ToR Rift and even Cata. The main complaints was lack of things to do at end game which was subjective due to both RIFT and TOR being new games at the time, but even then the two games had the baseline for a lot of content, look at RIFT now and TORs 1.2 notes.

How ever shitty you may thing the content in RIFT, WoW or TOR is at least its there. This is not the case when it comes to a few features in GW2. Not only is it missing a few of these features, Anet has no plans to add them. Then people procced to turn around and tell me, "Herp a derp, they'll play it because its fun.". Well I think lots of other types of mechanics are fun, so thats subjective.

Have you considered that GW2 fans haven't been wanting a traditional end game and weren't the one's complaining about ToR and Rift's? I certainly wasn't, neither was most of the GW2 fanbase.

It's not hypocritical. It's the poor souls trapped in WoW's web of tricks and conditioning versus people who simply aren't, or not any more. GW2 doesn't get critiqued for not having a gear grind, because it was never expected to have one.

If you clone WoW, you need to have WoW's gear grind because that's the only thing people seem to enjoy in WoW. Guild wars 1 and Guild wars 2 simply do not base themselves on gear grind.

Depadable.

I had issues geting past depadable, I tried to google it but.....

• jimbo833jimbo833 Member Posts: 158

People have to realise how a PvP game kinda works.  as i agree with the OP.

Think about it. WvWvW sounds awesome,  but its the same thingover and over again when your less than 80 theres a reason to do it but once you hit it your only doni it for fun.

and in MMo's fun isnt the only thing needed to keep people playing. And since there is no reason to PvP once 8- apart from fun wi lmake this game lose a ton of people.

Do not get me wrong i look forward to about 90% of this game, but PvP wise its missing a motive to do it.

Originally posted by jimbo833

Think about it. WvWvW sounds awesome,  but its the same thingover and over again when your less than 80 theres a reason to do it but once you hit it your only doni it for fun.

and in MMo's fun isnt the only thing needed to keep people playing. And since there is no reason to PvP once 8- apart from fun wi lmake this game lose a ton of people.

Do not get me wrong i look forward to about 90% of this game, but PvP wise its missing a motive to do it.

Fantastic! :D

It means people play for fun and don't waste their lives doing something that isn't fun! Don't you see how amazing that is? Come on! The reason so many of my friends want to play GW2 is because they DON'T want to waste their lives grinding gear or playing the game to 'earn' something. They want to have fun!

I didn't stop playing ToR because there wasn't an 'end game' for me to grind, i stopped because i no longer was having more fun than i would have had playing another game. People shouldn't be 'addicted' to GW2, they should play it to enjoy it because that's what life is about!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

It's not about quantity...sheesh lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

I plan to be PvPing in the WvWvW zone and then maybe some exploring, getting some new achievements, PvPing some more, maybe a dungeon if that does not keep one happy not sure what will.

GW2 doesn't have a traditional endgame. But instead it is an actual game designed for fun, not a bunch of psychological tricks designed to drain you of £10 every month :D GW2 will last the average MMOer, if they aren't a completionist, play one storyline and hate any form of PvP about 200 hours. That's good enough by anyone's standards, that's a lot of game for £40.

I play/ed WoW because I found it fun, I found that I enjoyed working for a piece of gear in the same since a sandbox player enjoy spending hours doing what ever it is he does in his sandbox game. I enjoy the journy to that acomplishment (spelling sucks) more then I enjoy the reward, but if there is no reward then I don't feel that I acomplished anything.

For me it would be like building a bird house and having said bird house dissapear when I was finished.

Anet has said that the leveling curb is weak in Gw2, and that leveling from like 61-62 will take the same amount of time as 14-15. Assuming it takes you an hour n a half to level once, it'll take you about 90 hours to level. But then again Bioware said it would take you 200 hours and most people where 50 by 150 hours.

Originally posted by jimbo833

Fantastic! :D

It means people play for fun and don't waste their lives doing something that isn't fun! Don't you see how amazing that is? Come on! The reason so many of my friends want to play GW2 is because they DON'T want to waste their lives grinding gear or playing the game to 'earn' something. They want to have fun!

i didn't stop playing ToR because there wasn't an 'end game' for me to grind, i stopped because i no longer was having more fun than i would have had playing another game. People shouldn't be 'addicted' to GW2, they should play it to enjoy it because that's what life is about!

Comfy PVP in videogames aide from DAOC,LoL,DOTA,Gears of War 1-3, any fps game...is not made for fun. 

Damn I couldn't even keep a straight face when typing this.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by RizelStar

You're right, it's not,  it's about creating features that promote long term play.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I play/ed WoW because I found it fun, I found that I enjoyed working for a piece of gear in the same since a sandbox player enjoy spending hours doing what ever it is he does in his sandbox game. I enjoy the journy to that acomplishment (spelling sucks) more then I enjoy the reward, but if there is no reward then I don't feel that I acomplished anything.

For me it would be like building a bird house and having said bird house dissapear when I was finished.

Anet has said that the leveling curb is weak in Gw2, and that leveling from like 61-62 will take the same amount of time as 14-15. Assuming it takes you an hour n a half to level once, it'll take you about 90 hours to level. But then again Bioware said it would take you 200 hours and most people where 50 by 150 hours.

About 100 hours if you're always out questing, but there'll be plenty of downtime as you move between events and storylines ect. :) hence about 200 overall. You won't spend 100% of your time fighting.

There are rewards, but they're not infinite rewards, you can 'finish' GW2 if you spend many hundreds of hours, like you can 'complete' GW1. They're cosmetic, difficult to achieve, armor and weapons. If you need that carrot at all times and simply can't do something because you simply enjoy it (and you'll always earn something, whether it's gold or karma ect. to put towards something rare) you can make a kind of 'mini game' out of it in GW2, because there will be rare items, but the game will not enforce or actively say 'this is our endgame'. Because it's not designed that way. Getting a tormented weapon in GW1 isn't the end game, but it takes as much effort to get as any other 'end game' reward.

You won't be playing Gw2 and not get any rewards at all, BUT the game is not based around getting those rewards. You play for fun, those rewards are bonuses.

Comfy PVP in videogames aide from DAOC,LoL,DOTA,Gears of War 1-3, any fps game...is not made for fun. 

GW2 isn;t a lobby based RTS or a FPS.

It's still a GAME.

Come on snaylor, are you saying MMO's aren't meant to be fun? They're meant to be work? What's happened to you? What have MMO's done to you? I'm actually really worried about how you view MMO's now ><

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

Just to clarify I'm not saying I want end game raids and gear grinds. Simply asking for some comments on it. That being said I play games for fun. If you find gear grinds and raids fun, then you will hate guild wars 2. Gear grinds and raids aren't "features" to me. They are mechanisms to keep you paying a sub, which partly explains the absence here. I keep seeing people refer to raids as "endgame content".  Yes in wow,tor,EQ and whatever else they are endgame content. In guild wars 2 they aren't, where never planned to be and quite frankly im glad they aren't. Plenty of games on the market for the raiders and gear collectors. Does anyone know of an mmo that uses GW2 Mechanics?

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It's still a GAME.

Come on snaylor, are you saying MMO's aren't meant to be fun? They're meant to be work? What's happened to you? What have MMO's done to you? I'm actually really worried about how you view MMO's now ><

This is why so many people hate mmos.

I know DJJazzy. People see statements like snaylor's and are scarred by them, never to look at MMO's again.

What you've said, snaylor, is actually pretty scarey. It's like you think MMO's are not meant to be as 'fun' as other games ><

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

When I hit 80, I'm going to take all my Charr friends to a Chinese restaurant for dinner.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

You won't be playing Gw2 and not get any rewards at all, BUT the game is not based around getting those rewards. You play for fun, those rewards are bonuses.

Any game for me will only be fun for so long.

For instance I would always take one or two month breaks from WoW and play RS or GW1, But  I never play either of the latter  like I did WoW (I did runescape when I was like 10 but later  I found better things) as much as I did WoW because of lack of end game rewards. GW1 became more of an E-sport type game which is great for the hardcore E-sporting peeps, but for people like me who wanted an actual MMO it was terrible.

Originally posted by Distopia

You're right, it's not,  it's about creating features that promote long term play.

You're freaking right, I'm glade we are all on the same page.