Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware (Mass Effect 3) is releasing DLC that was taken out of the full game

1235»

Comments

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by spaceport

It's always a blast trying to see people defend day 1 DLC.

Day 1 DLC is a rip off, PERIOD, you can't remove things from the game only to sell them for extra $$$, im already buying the F game, seriously, are you people real? do you guys even try to think for yourselves for ONE time in your life?

You are hurting us all, please stop lowering your standards, it's pathetic.

It's always funny to see people react as if gaming has a higher purpose in live then to actually see that gaming is just a form of entertainment where every person has a choice and is free to either buy or play them.

Yeah?; Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud, most commonly used in retail sales but also applicable to other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by advertising for a product or service at a low price; second, the customers discover that the advertised good is not available and are "switched" to a costlier product.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by ammonite

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by spaceport

It's always a blast trying to see people defend day 1 DLC.

Day 1 DLC is a rip off, PERIOD, you can't remove things from the game only to sell them for extra $$$, im already buying the F game, seriously, are you people real? do you guys even try to think for yourselves for ONE time in your life?

You are hurting us all, please stop lowering your standards, it's pathetic.

It's always funny to see people react as if gaming has a higher purpose in live then to actually see that gaming is just a form of entertainment where every person has a choice and is free to either buy or play them.

Yeah?; Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud, most commonly used in retail sales but also applicable to other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by advertising for a product or service at a low price; second, the customers discover that the advertised good is not available and are "switched" to a costlier product.

I understand the b&s but could you provide a link of some sort that shows that the DLC was once part of the orginal game and is taken out to become a DLC. Let me be clear I am not saying it doesn't excists but I personaly have not seen it, so please linky??

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Soooo glad I'm not the type that needs to have every new game the minute it comes out. I'll be picking up ME3 next year when it's on Steam for $19.99. By then there will be decent reviews on whether that DLC is worth it as well.

Good things come to those who wait. The less people put up with this kind of thing the less it will happen. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Zuuz

Not saying this is good, it's clearly not but you would be naive to think this is the first developer to do this.

I have been playing PC games for a LONG time.  NEVER have I bought a new game where, upon release I had the option to buy any additional content -- in any format whatsoever when the game shipped.  Feel free to give some examples to back up your point however.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

have to say I really do not like this take on DLC. DLC now seems to be factored into the first month of release these days instead of the bonus content later down the line. It's as close as a genuine con as you can get.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

In the three decades as an adult consumer, it amazes me how low consumers standards have continued to decline. At this rate, it wouldn't suprise me if three more decades from now, companies just take money from your account and you have to ask for persmission to spend it on something else from time to time.

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

Scummy. Not buying.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

Oh Westwood...Nox was a great game.

Bioware has been doing this ever since Da1 that I've noticed.  Anyone ever run into a advertisement in game that took you to a link in your web browser?  Pay now and you could find out what happened...such a shame.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by tawess

Preorderd the CE, could not care less.

But if no one have pointed it out yet, it was not taken out. It was simply not ready in time. Ofc they could have given it for free but then again they could have keept it exclusive to the CE too.

At least now you can buy it.

How was it not taken out if it is in the DE, seriously, did they make a different run for the DE then that standard, get real

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by DeltaFrc670

Never forget what EA did to Westwood

Westwood ....what is westwood

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

I have to agree with the OP I will not buy this game untill it is in the bagin bin on steam....in about 4-6 months

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    I am not trying to defend EA, but I feel as gamers we are selfish to an extent. The price of games has stayed pretty much the same for the last 30 years or so. They've actually gone down in some cases (I remember Donkey Kong Country costing 90.00 when it first came out). On the other hand development costs have shot through the roof. I read that the original Super Mario Brothers cost around 1.5 million to develop, adding in inflation would be around 3 million. now do the same for NES cartridges and you're paying anywhere between 80-100 for a game. Now think about how much it costs to develop games nowadays, and even with inflation that $60 game is only $30 in 1985.

We only see EA as a group of greedy CEOs with dollar signs for eyes. We forget about the developers hoping that their game profits enough for them to keep their jobs.
  • CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

But if no one have pointed it out yet, it was not taken out. It was simply not ready in time. Ofc they could have given it for free but then again they could have keept it exclusive to the CE too.

haha oh wow

kill me, i NEED to die

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Palladin

Originally posted by DeltaFrc670

Never forget what EA did to Westwood

Westwood ....what is westwood

I can't tell if you're being FOR real or not.  Trolling is so tough.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by pb1285n

I am not trying to defend EA, but I feel as gamers we are selfish to an extent. The price of games has stayed pretty much the same for the last 30 years or so. They've actually gone down in some cases (I remember Donkey Kong Country costing 90.00 when it first came out). On the other hand development costs have shot through the roof. I read that the original Super Mario Brothers cost around 1.5 million to develop, adding in inflation would be around 3 million. now do the same for NES cartridges and you're paying anywhere between 80-100 for a game. Now think about how much it costs to develop games nowadays, and even with inflation that $60 game is only $30 in 1985.

We only see EA as a group of greedy CEOs with dollar signs for eyes. We forget about the developers hoping that their game profits enough for them to keep their jobs.

I understand what you are saying but like TB said, plenty of other ways to do day1 DLC, special editions ect. Cosmetic stuff being the cheapest to make and possibly a bigger seller.

It wasnt hard to tell that the DLC was going to be more than cosmetic though. Simply because of the name of it and the fact that they tried hiding what the content was. EA isnt stupid. They knew that there would be a fairly large shitstorm for offering Day1 DLC that was actual content involving squadmates and quests.

Thats really my biggest issue. EA wanted to HIDE that it was more than just cosmetic or a weapon that didnt really matter. But a Prothean squadmate and quests? No wonder they didnt want it getting out. I wont be buying it. At least not till I see it 50% or more off and I just cant avoid it at that point.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Crynswind

haha oh wow

kill me, i NEED to die

The quoted part aside. It still amazes me that people believe the "It wasnt ready in time" bullshit excuse. The game is still over a week out and they could have verry easily done it like the cerberus network DLC (meanging free when you buy the game new).

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

ITT:  Capitalism ruins gaming.

Many of us saw this coming (the trend of nickle and diming gamers; not ME3 specifically) a long time ago and I'm extremely sad to be proven correct.  We could potentially reverse this trend if gamers banded together and refused to purchase games with DLC, but I doubt that will happen as in the states we have been propagandized to believe banding together (unionizing) for just about any cause is somehow communism.

I'll miss the good ol' days.  Maybe some industrious developers will start their own companies and compete with the titans of the industry (EA, Activision, etc.) that have bought their way to the top by releasing complete games at a reasonable price.  

Maybe.

Please?

Originally posted by Isasis

From TotalBiscuit (Cynical Brit): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2f1206cFUAAAAAAAAAA

Yup, looks like EA has definitely taken over Bioware...a huge shame. Purposely making content that should be in the full game, but instead will be 10 dollars at release. Not to mention the many many other DLCs that will be available from other places and sources.

I'm 100% fine with this.  Last bioware game I bought was DA:O.  I played ME, but not the sequel.  they can charge $1000 for the game and $10 for all the DLC they want.  It doesnt effect me as I have, and have had, no intention of buying this or any other Bioware game for years now.  The last straw for me was the DLC in DA:O.  But for people who want to continue to support this business model go ahead.  You are only encouraging more companies to follow suit.  In the meantime I will be playing Skyrim.

Originally posted by ive82syko

Game Developers have been doing this for a very long time. Buiness's in general apply the same practice in some shape or form. Nothing new.

Welcome to captialism.

and people like me dont support companies that do this.  welcome to freedom of choice.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Heard on the radio today that Game UK will not be stocking ME3, putting it down to 'supply issues'. Might just be the box version or maybe they are taking a stand against greedy money grabbing games companies?
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

They could have added the $10 to the box for the full game and said they added extra content, or even better just waited 3 months for the downloadable content.

But releasing a not full game as there is extra content does not seem clever...

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Can't really say I'm surprised. Every since EA got their hands on Bioware, it's been like watching someone slowly spray paint over the Mona Lisa with neon colors.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

It's crap like this why I won't buy a game.  I'll wait a year or two for a bundle sale on Steam.  I hope Bioware rots in hell now with this bullshit.  Loved Bioware and chalked up any of their games as the best of the best but this was the last straw.