Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Curious Changes of Patch 1.1.5

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

My thought is I won't return to SWTOR untill they make it fun, they implement basic mmo functionalities, they fix their numerous bugs, they implement decent textures, they put some life and ambience on their planets and stop asking for a monthly subscription for a single-player game with multiplayer options.

Edit : silly me I forgot that we want Star Wars space combats, not the tunnel "space invaders" gadget they granted us. Oh well, there are so many wrong things with SWTOR, I won't list them here...

Khm... swtor is most fun mmorpg besides wow I have ever played. Love also Rift, but I'm great sw fan and love fantasy settings. Not sure even about which bugs are you talking? Have not seen any crippling bug, only minor one.

Gameplay, textures, ambience, ... could not be more satisfied (altrough there is always space for improvement).

But is true could not care less then i currently do for pvp, so would not know if there are some bugs.

For me there  are only 3 Games: Wow, Rift and now Swtor. Enjoy every second in game leveling all 8 alts (later maybe something from Empire side). In no other game I have single maxed out alt. Lost interest long before, be it for bugs (real bugs) or being unfun.

I see swtor as most fun game and being around 50 (years, not levels :-) have played a lot.

• StarkStark Member Posts: 119

Is this F2P yet? You know it's just around the corner.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

oh great they are already starting to listen to the forum whingers.

They need to remove the mod vendors and crystal vendors so they can promote player crafting instead they add more........ And to top it off they now allow Sith to use any colour they like what happened to sticking to the lore of the game world ?

The reason Sith used red was because they are more powerful than the ones the jedi found. They are red due to they are a synthetic copy of the ones that grow naturaly.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I no longer play this...

However I am shocked lucas arts allowed the crystal change through.  The hype video even shows a bunch of sith with red lightsabers, now imagine if they were blue green yellow orange and red.

NO.

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59

this is great, realy great, i love this game

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

The sith could already have every colour sabre, they just had to choose to be 'light side' sith.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

swtor starting to go "Easy mode" just to hold on the subs of casual players. I bet coming up next is a f2p trial like rift and wow.

• TiggeTigge Member Posts: 35

How about they implement something basic as movable ui windows for starters and ability to have them to overlap each other.

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by XNephalimX

I agree with Bitton on the problems with vendors. However I think the 4 pages of crafting changes are going to be centralized towards fixing the economy. That one change with the crystal vendor didnt make much sense but you can sort of understand that they sold a few things like keys ect that they now have to support as exclusive.. Lets look at a few things you probably keep in mind when seeking a sustainable ((key word sustainable)) player driven economy.

What comes into the game must go out. This means that anything a player or developer makes available in terms of gear transportation and even housing must decay and then be replaced by the player. Players are going to have to understand this.

Do not put items on vendors that will create a trading/sales conflict with the player crafter. If a player can obtain items from a vendor, he wont buy from a crafter out of sheer convenience. You can give your vendors schematics, recipes or skill trains but never the items themselves. Exclusive items should probably be saved for veteran rewards over keys. Likewise beware of Item status you place on items. How much good does it do to give crafters items that he cant trade?

You must have Credit sinks/drains from progression to end game. Known and accepted types are player housing, guild bases and mini games where things like betting/gambling/decor come into the picture. Those are acceptable losses because players can consider them upkeep,or things lost/gained by their own device and chance. Trash cans help on the item side!

Draw a clear line between crafting and raiding. If you're trying to support both and trying to find some sort of sweet middleground, the players will be confused in the meantime. They dont get whether you need them to craft in order to raid, or raid in order to craft but the path can be a long frustrating one. To offset the two you'll have to offer the crafter in this case more item modification through tools. Colorwheels,dyes, recipes unobtainable by raiding. Possibly interchangable parts for item appearance. Things of that sort that help make crafted items worth the credit and time to seek out.

Ensure that players can focus on collection methods and production when you offer crafting and resource collection, separate the crafter from the adventurer. Not many get this reasoning entirely and people normally disagree again due to convenience, but if your economy is player driven, the player must have some focus and cant have that if he is too busy fighting off mobs or going on raids.

Trade centers must be readily accessible per planet.

The trade terminal can only be central to a hub if players can readily access them. Most often we find them in major cities, but consider minor cities as well. If a player has to go from one end of the "galaxy" to the other end to buy an item, he may as well stay where he is or log out from sheer frustration. Accessibility is the key here. In terms of creating hubs, you can only provide the tools and the center, the players will determine their hang out spots based one whats provided in terms of action-down the road, or by action within the hub.

#7 Players are vital to policing and owning their economy, make it known and be clear about it.

You will often find that when farming becomes an issue, the players are disgruntled. You only have a few GMs to police, but the player is ultimately responsible for reporting farmish behavior. Do not provide chests or resources that require no effort to unlock, get to, obtain and so on. Its fine to put a chest somewhere, its not fine to leave it out in the open and its not ok to make it a freebie along the way from point A to B. With that consider that Resource nodes respawn- seek another way of harvesting that requires actual effort on the part of the player to obtain.

Choose a single currency and stick with it.

If you have like 5 currencies... how do you plan to balance and centralize trade if youre trying to manage 4-5 different types of currencies? I dont see it happening. Go with the Galactic credit and call it good.

So, if you look at some of those you can sort of determine where you want to go and what youre trying to accomplished based on the type of economy youre trying to run. Some of those steps are vital right now and if not taken or addressed will ruin the game for many players. Be that by inflation or "profession usefulness."

See all of this? Spot on!   (I can't help noticing that many of these ideas are lifts from that what was actually now the superior Star Wars game in a lot of ways...and also how that one should have run as well.)

Listening to the players when trying to make a player driven economy isn't a bad  idea!

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Originally posted by Robsolf

..... And either way, if I were Sith, I would use a blue saber for the sole purpose of pissing off Jedi!

Quoted for epicness.  It is so Sith it makes more sense than using red sabers.

No it does not. First of all Jedi's would be far to disciplined to care about color of sabres and second Sith does not care about pissing people of, they care about dominating and subdueing them.

So from SW:TOR Sith, which is a bit childish and simplistic I would say, it could make sense but from Star Wars Sith/Jedi, no way. But that is a minor thing really, Hutt Ball is by far a bigger disgrace than color of sabres. Neither Jedi;s nor Sith would engage into that sort of silliness.

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by troublmaker

The removal of color limitations is a "no duh".  Particularly since this limitation extended to blasters as well. 

Seeing as how Han Solo's blaster shot red bolts, I guess that means he was a dark side kinda guy.  How he made it through Endor without shooting a single Ewok remains a mystery.

It was a dumb thing that they actually put in late in beta due to pressure from the Canonites in the beta forums.  Good riddance to total idiocy.  As though this game needs more limitations on what your character can and can't use.

Far as "Blue Sith" go... you could always be sith with a blue saber, you just had to avoid dark side choices.  And either way, if I were Sith, I would use a blue saber for the sole purpose of pissing off Jedi!

If you actually watched Star Wars you would know Hans Solo was in fact a dark side kinda guy.  Hans Solo served in the imperial military and left to become a smuggler.  In a famous bar scene Hans Solo fires on Greedo and kills him before Greedo can even get off a shot indicating that he's a "shoot first ask questions later" kinda guy.  In the "remasters" bullshit version of Star Wars they actually clean up Hans Solo quite a bit.  Included is adding in a new special effect to show that Greedo in fact shot Hans and Hans somehow magically dodged a beam that shoots at the speed of light.

The red beam fire is the make of the weapon and is supposed to indicate who are the bad guys and who are the good guys.  This is similar to how all bad guys seem to have red light sabres and all good guys have green, blue, and purple light sabres.

Hans Solo's story is so great because he is an anti-hero and maybe one of the first ones.  He is a guy who is looking out for himself and somehow saves the day every time.

One of my favorite parts of Knights of the Old Republic was how when you made dark side choices your flesh would deteriorate while if you are light side you have a radiant aura.  Light side/dark side should have SOME effect on the game.  If it is just a cosmetic choice that is more than fine by me.

Its Han, not Hans. And the color of lasers doesn't enter into anything really. Sabers a bit yes, red was always in the movies confined to the few Sith we ever saw but in space combat the colors of blasters was reversed so.... means nothing.

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

My thought is I won't return to SWTOR untill they make it fun, they implement basic mmo functionalities, they fix their numerous bugs, they implement decent textures, they put some life and ambience on their planets and stop asking for a monthly subscription for a single-player game with multiplayer options.

Edit : silly me I forgot that we want Star Wars space combats, not the tunnel "space invaders" gadget they granted us. Oh well, there are so many wrong things with SWTOR, I won't list them here...

I agree completely and I have great taste in video games.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Good to see every burnt out MMO'er has posted in this thread and literally every thread about SWTOR.  It's a 7/10 themepark, I wish it was more as well, but damn people it's not the worst MMO ever released.

I really can't believe the number of people that blew $60 on this game knowing full well what it was going to be. 

Consoles and GW2 are good outlets for you fried ex MMO players. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

is it just me or have the posts about this game in news become "what will they fix in the upcoming patch" rather then "this game is absolutely amazing 9/10"

Will people begin to do research about titles before they actually purchase a game instead of pre-ordering a poorly made title, and will they continue to not demand the absolute best for their money by continuing to pay these companies despite the issues with their games.

I doubt it.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

What will be said when, and if, BW gets their act together and fully tunes SWToR?

Will there be much lementing? Many "I told you so's"?

Will the game community again remember what, and how long it takes to have a polished game to play?

Doubt it. But maybe.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

This patch just gave no reason to go to Ilum anymore.

I feel like the crystals should have either been given to artificers to craft for people, thus enhancing that profession. Or spread the crystals throughout the world (mob drops) and make us work to go get them - give us something to do rather than simply buy them from a vendor.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by jonnyfrag

The removal of color limitations is a "no duh".  Particularly since this limitation extended to blasters as well. 

Seeing as how Han Solo's blaster shot red bolts, I guess that means he was a dark side kinda guy.  How he made it through Endor without shooting a single Ewok remains a mystery.

It was a dumb thing that they actually put in late in beta due to pressure from the Canonites in the beta forums.  Good riddance to total idiocy.  As though this game needs more limitations on what your character can and can't use.

Far as "Blue Sith" go... you could always be sith with a blue saber, you just had to avoid dark side choices.  And either way, if I were Sith, I would use a blue saber for the sole purpose of pissing off Jedi!

If you actually watched Star Wars you would know Hans Solo was in fact a dark side kinda guy.  Hans Solo served in the imperial military and left to become a smuggler.  In a famous bar scene Hans Solo fires on Greedo and kills him before Greedo can even get off a shot indicating that he's a "shoot first ask questions later" kinda guy.  In the "remasters" bullshit version of Star Wars they actually clean up Hans Solo quite a bit.  Included is adding in a new special effect to show that Greedo in fact shot Hans and Hans somehow magically dodged a beam that shoots at the speed of light.

The red beam fire is the make of the weapon and is supposed to indicate who are the bad guys and who are the good guys.  This is similar to how all bad guys seem to have red light sabres and all good guys have green, blue, and purple light sabres.

Hans Solo's story is so great because he is an anti-hero and maybe one of the first ones.  He is a guy who is looking out for himself and somehow saves the day every time.

One of my favorite parts of Knights of the Old Republic was how when you made dark side choices your flesh would deteriorate while if you are light side you have a radiant aura.  Light side/dark side should have SOME effect on the game.  If it is just a cosmetic choice that is more than fine by me.

Its Han, not Hans. And the color of lasers doesn't enter into anything really. Sabers a bit yes, red was always in the movies confined to the few Sith we ever saw but in space combat the colors of blasters was reversed so.... means nothing.

Can we interject Greivous(sp?) into this argument about saber color?

Where does he fit in to the puzzle with his 'captured' sabers?....hmmmmmmm

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Mardukk

Good to see every burnt out MMO'er has posted in this thread and literally every thread about SWTOR.  It's a 7/10 themepark, I wish it was more as well, but damn people it's not the worst MMO ever released.

I really can't believe the number of people that blew $60 on this game knowing full well what it was going to be. 

Consoles and GW2 are good outlets for you fried ex MMO players. 

Right, right... Everyone who wants depth and quality now is a fried out MMO player?

Just like all you casuals are bottom feeding gluttons for trash games?

Let's not deal in absolutes.

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I dinged level 50 on Sat. night, have already done EV and KP both in hardmode and normal mode, have BiS sniper rifle, 3/5 Rakata, Columi in my other slots, full epics, and blow people up in PvP with like 0 expertise.  I'm glad PvE gear can compete in PvP, because I'm completely against a PvP stat.  In to many games has a PvP stat ruined the PvP, becoming entirely gear-reliant, and not needing any real skill to survive and thrive.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by Celusios

Originally posted by ForumPvP

Originally posted by Celusios

Originally posted by arctarus

" 1.1.5 will temporarily add a new vendor that will sell previously unavailable endgame crystals for credits  "

Selling end-game contents in vendor...

I really wish people would stop crying. It doesn't matter dude, it's a GAME. Emphasis on GAME. If you want to go around showing off how you no lifed one minor a addon in a game, go play Darkfall or something.

I'm personally glad they're selling these items. Now players who do not want to sit there click spamming for hours a day, upon weeks can also have cool items. Nice move Bioware.

what are you doing there now then?buying these crystals all day long and that makes you glad ? no need to "click spam" hours a day,is it so painful to play that game ?

I think you're a bit upset that people who consider "clicky clicky spam" for hours a day are now being shunned. I don't even see how from there it affects you? You're upset someone can easily get something? If you want to "play the game" you go raid hours upon hours and get your copy.

I'm sure that method won't be removed for you people who "play the game".

so it is pretty painful to play that game then.

you easily get that "something" and you  dont use it ,because you dont want to "clicky clicky spam"

why do you even buy those things?

Let's internet

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Khaine007

I dinged level 50 on Sat. night, have already done EV and KP both in hardmode and normal mode, have BiS sniper rifle, 3/5 Rakata, Columi in my other slots, full epics, and blow people up in PvP with like 0 expertise.  I'm glad PvE gear can compete in PvP, because I'm completely against a PvP stat.  In to many games has a PvP stat ruined the PvP, becoming entirely gear-reliant, and not needing any real skill to survive and thrive.

The sad part is, this is what makes the changes in 1.1.5 so miserable from a PvP players perspective. Yes, it is a step in the right direction but... What you, and so many have done here, going from ding 50 to dominating PvP in less than 5 days with your PvE gear, will now take a dedicated PvP player months to accomplish when trying to dominate in like PvP gear.

Now I'm not saying the changes are bad, quite the opposite as I was one of the people on the official forums asking for these exact changes since launch. I'm happy they are coming in. But knowing I will be up against people who say I need no skill to get my BM set when they walk on the field after 3 days of PvE with better gear than I can get in 4 weeks doing PvP kinda chaps my ass a bit. 

I see some future changes coming down the pipe on the speed in which people get thier PvE sets to balance it out with the new PvP setup. At least I am pretty sure you will soon see this topic rise on the official forums - balancing gear gains between PvE and PvP. 

EDIT: And on the crystals being available on the vendors. It had to happen eventually. Too many games out there try to force people to do things they HATE doing, and soon find out it is a mistake and change it. Everyone can agree there are people who like to PvE / Raid and people who like to PvP. But what most miss is that there are also people who like to market/craft  - buy/sell. Most of the dedicated crafters normally dont like to do either PvP or PvE/raiding. Yet the game designers always try to limit thier end game crafting by forcing them into raiding to get thier recipes and mats.

In the end, what this does is remove the bulk of these players when they cap thier crafting skills and realize they can't do anything useful unless they buck up and do what they hate doing to advance thier crafting. This change, this vendor, is being put in to change that. Right now without it, people who raid are getting the mats and selling them to the crafters for 250k+ on the 3 servers I play on. Most crafters rely on thier cash rolls to further thier crafting, so to give it all up on a single stone is rather harsh.

If the raiders were not so damn greedy on the crafting mat prices, there wouldn't be a problem, but seriously, 250k for a single stone? And you honestly expect the crafters to not say something on the forums about it? They asked for this change, they are getting it. If your not a dedicated marketeer/crafter you probably dont see the reason behind it, but if you are I'm betting your happy as hell about this one.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

I guess the crystals is the least of the SWTOR problems... and crafting... well ...balancing it 3 months after the game launch... are you kidding me? I've already max-leveled my char, played through some basic PvP and PvE endgame and quit cause the PvP isn't fun ... I'm not coming back for my custom purple lightsabre and to check if any of the crafting skills except for biochem are anyhow useful...

They should fix the PvP system not feed players some very questionable "bonuses" like purple color crystals...

• DiEx80DiEx80 Member Posts: 31

When this game was still in beta and what not, people were clammering how TOR was going to be the WoW killer. How this game would magically cause all the subscribers from WoW to shift over to TOR and WoW would be ghost town MMO...

...After ~3 months, While WoW is still standing, I find that I haven't logged into WoW since I got TOR. I guess to some extent BW maybe onto something...

First with this idea of selling rare crystals - Considering these crystals don't appear in normal game operation (The White colored lightsaber ended up being a hack and got the player banned despite the fact it appears as a craftable item), it makes some sense to have a place to buy them at lest until they get around to adding them as part of a gathering/drop.

Second: It would be really great if there was a way for the crafter to set the color of the blade/blaster projectile. Having Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Purple or various tones of those colors doesn't give much as far as personalization. In fact, I was under the impression the crystal you got for a preorder let you do it... While I do like the black blade/yellow glow, I don't like the stat is static and will quickly become trash after a few starting levels. Some preorder gift...

Third: While I do like the PvP in TOR, and this is coming from a person who would rather get beat with a brick stick than deal with PvP in any game, what agitates me is the inballance the battles have. Somebody explain how a level 10 can magically defeat a level 40...Solo?!  Hacking? Unlikely. They had an alt give them better armor? Likely, but even a 40 should be able to put more hurt on even the best armor at that level. The fact is: In TOR PvP all players stats are averaged out. So a level 10 and level 40 are now at level 25 however the armor gets strangly distorted as far as the level.

Add to it: Both PvP and SC want you to have lagless internet. Great for those who have it. Anoying as all get out to those who don't. So that lucky level 10 has an awesome companion: the Lag Monster if the level 10 has Cable/Fiber Optic and the level 40 gets their net from a wifi router  from a neighbor downstairs (consentually, legitimatly).

So in a nutshell: Whats the point of a level number in PvP arenas if the base stats are equal for everyone but not the armor/weapon stats ?

Foruth:  The SC missons still have bugs that are continuously being ignored. I have missions that I must fail or commit game suicide in order to play propertly or have the combat arena load properly...

Fifth: All the talk about the commedations seems to ignore the fact that you can only carry 1000 at a time. Why? Why only 1,000? It is not like they are a physical spot inside your bag. Still, what makes no sense is that there is a disparagy between what levels the charaters can equip them. It starts at 20 (what?) and for basic stuff stops at 40. In between 20 and 40 is no armor upgrades. Drops from PvE? Doesn't matter: A set of purple for a 40 will have it decimated by some level 10. What they wear is hidden so you can't determine what they are doing right. So you are stuck grinding to 50 and get put in maches against other 50s who also are wearing armor that can't be penetrated.

Fianlly: It seems that these adjustments are for the end game, PvP, and crafting. That is fine and dandy. However: There needs to be some fleshing out beween starting and the finish. There needs to be more than just doing the same thing over and over again till you reach max level. Then when you hit that level, it is another set of lather, rinse, and repeat.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Han Solo I would put in the category of "neutral" neither light or dark or having parts of both.  He wouldn't kill a kid in cold blood, but yeah, he shot Greedo first(I consider it self defense and just smart myself) and wasn't quite on board the whole rebellion thing.

This whole color issue is just another example of how the game design is flawed.  Trying to copy WoW's 2 faction warfare instead of doing it the SWG way with a true neutral faction.

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by Kaocan

The sad part is, this is what makes the changes in 1.1.5 so miserable from a PvP players perspective. Yes, it is a step in the right direction but... What you, and so many have done here, going from ding 50 to dominating PvP in less than 5 days with your PvE gear, will now take a dedicated PvP player months to accomplish when trying to dominate in like PvP gear.

Now I'm not saying the changes are bad, quite the opposite as I was one of the people on the official forums asking for these exact changes since launch. I'm happy they are coming in. But knowing I will be up against people who say I need no skill to get my BM set when they walk on the field after 3 days of PvE with better gear than I can get in 4 weeks doing PvP kinda chaps my ass a bit.

Ya, I hear ya.  The PvP gear should be equally as easy to obtain as the PvE gear imo, but one side of the game should not provide a distinct advantage over the other.  So in that regards, I'm completely happy with not being destroyed in PvP even though I'm a new 50, since I've got the skill to survive and thrive.  But I do think that PvP gear should be just as easy to obtain, for the gamers that do not like even doing the PvE side of things at all, they shouldn't be punished with a lot longer gear grind. 

I want a game that has no real CC to speak of, with maybe only minor stuns and diminishing returns, with no PvP stats on gear, that is purely skill based PvP.  I'm hoping TERA is that way, since it involves actually having to time your attacks since you have to sit through their animations, and also to actually dodge and/or block incoming attacks, and to aim your attacks and spells/arrows.