Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drawing software

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Does anyone know what software tools the concept artists at arenanet are using?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• sylverCodesylverCode Member Posts: 25

If you're doing it right, what software you use is irrelevant.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

Most concept artists use the highly technical paper, pen and pencil for concept art. Sketching to make concepts that are later refined and then finalized for animators to recreate using software. Perhaps this is the stage your are referring to?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

They use Photoshop.  It's pretty much the industry standard.

3D Software generally varies from Maya and 3D Studio Max.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Since when PS is a drawing program?!

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

It's very likely photoshop.  Corel Painter is also a very good program for making concept art as it's designed specifically for creating drawings and digital paintings.  I use both depending on what I want to do.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by mazut

Photoshop is useful enough for many cartoonists, however I tend to believe that more expressive artists use Corel Painter which has myriad tools and brushes for professional concept art.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Since forever? The first version(s) might've been photo-editing tools.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Originally posted by Fusion

Since forever? The first version(s) might've been photo-editing tools.

o.O If you say soo.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

Photoshop can be used for coloring, refining, modifying etc., but most concept artist start by hand. Personally, if you know how to paint well, coloring by hand is much faster assuming you don't want to make any major adjustments.

One of the great benefits of PS is that you can take one sketch of say a male face, and then use PS to alter and modify to make many more different variantions of faces for the male (i.e. the face choices you have at character creation) without having to make a concept sketch for each one. 

A good concept artist should be adept at both mechanics.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Most artists I talked with that worked on both comics, CCGs and video games work with Adobe Photoshop with tablets (most often Wacom).

As far as modelling goes, depending on game and complexityof the models it's either just Maya or Maya combined with zBrush for the detail/sculpting.

Originally posted by Havok2all and then use PS to alter and modify

exactly, its not drawing software.

Source:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqAQCIdFIs&feature=player_embedded - using Photoshop there to design the Asura concept.

@wizyy ; I know there are plenty of other drawing software out there, just my experience is every major development studio I've seen uses PS for the vast majority of their 2D work.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    If i understood correctly allthe concept art is created digitally ..

Photoshop is not a drawing tool, but an edditing tool.
    Corel painter is, but there must e other tools

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Source:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqAQCIdFIs&feature=player_embedded - using Photoshop there to design the Asura concept.

@wizyy ; I know there are plenty of other drawing software out there, just my experience is every major development studio I've seen uses PS for the vast majority of their 2D work.

Yep, PS & tablets have been a standard for a long time now.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If i understood correctly allthe concept art is created digitally .. Photoshop is not a drawing tool, but an edditing tool. Corel painter is, but there must e other tools

Yes, but with a tablet essentially photoshop becomes a drawing tool.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

If i understood correctly allthe concept art is created digitally .. Photoshop is not a drawing tool, but an edditing tool. Corel painter is, but there must e other tools

Photoshop is an incredibly poweful drawing tool and very commonly used across the board in a lot of art related positions & projects, from start to finish. It's a misconception that it's 'just a photo touching tool'. It's become much more than that. 

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by Valkaern

Photoshop is an incredibly poweful drawing tool and very commonly used across the board in a lot of art related positions & projects, from start to finish. It's a misconception that it's 'just a photo touching tool'. It's become much more than that. 

what he said

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

i am a digital artist and do both 2d n 3d work. photoshop is the king of drawing programs and is the most used in the industry. most game textures u see are made in photoshop as well.

OP: GW2 art, the good stuff, is done by a japanese hawaiian by the name of kekai kotaki, his website is here:

http://www.kekaiart.com/

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Dawnbr3aker

Kekai Kotaki, anet leader concept artist mainly uses a Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet and Wacom Intuos with softwares like Gimp, Adobe Photoshop Extended and Lumograph Drawing Pencils. Sketch Set, 12/ST.

Gimp is free http://www.gimp.org/

As a professional, who started off as a texture artist he most likey uses what other pros use...A Wacom Cintiq and intuos as well as photoshop.

No pro would sit around using GIMP when they have the license to use photoshop both at work and the money to use it at home.

I highly doubt kekai would use a bamboo with its small size and limited pressure sensetivity.

GIMP is good for the beginner wanting to play around, but even then they can get educational versions of photoshop.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Kekai: [...]My setup when I am working is a very basic one: I use Photoshop CS2 – nothing really grabbed me about CS3 – and I am still waiting to get CS4. I tend not to change something just for the sake of changing it. I use an Intuos 3 tablet. And there’s nothing much beyond that. [...]

From http://www.3dtotal.com/forums_frameset/index.php?e=http://www.3dtotal.com/pages/interviews/kekai_kotaki/kekai_kotaki_01.php

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Many have already said it, but Photoshop can be excellent for digital illustrations if you setup your environment correctly and use the right brushes. For a cheap alternative just for digital sketching I use AutoDesk sketchbook pro with my wacom tablet. The program is about 60 dollars, so way cheaper then say Photoshop CS5