Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Knowing what you know now... (Poll Inside)

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I am curious.   Knowing what you know now, would you have bought SWTOR?

Comments

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49

Bought it for my son as his christmas gift. He asked for another game 2 weeks later.

Edit: I played beta and knew I wouldn't like it but I also knew my son loved WoW, Rift type of games. So to me it was a surprise he didn't like it. Like I already said in an old post when I asked him why the only answer was : It's not fun

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

After warhammer online, biggest dissapointment in my gaming life.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Didn't vote as knowing what I knew THEN after open beta, kept me from buying the game in the first place.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Pretty clear 'the honeymoon' is over.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

The honeymoon is indeed over and now the divorce process is now in full swing. I may stay subbed for 6 months through the long divorce proceedings to see if things improve much.

Sucks because as leader of my guild's Republic chapter I already see myself looking to TSW and maybe Guild Wars 2.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'd buy it again, just not the 'digital deluxe' edition this time. That thing was a damned ripoff, IMO.

Game was/is decent, but I've unsubbed because I've simply got too many single player games to finish, and Bioware's horrid, borderline unethical monetizing of Mass Effect 3 have made me wish to spend my money elsewhere.

As I've said before here, not playing ME3 is going to hurt a LOT more than not playing SWTOR though, so take that as you will.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by Tardcore

Didn't vote as knowing what I knew THEN after open beta, kept me from buying the game in the first place.

Weren't you quite a fan (not fanboy) of ToR beforehand?

Seem to remember DarkPony was your steed or something along those lines. :p

I sure as hell was as ashamed as I am to admit it. Once I played the game first hand I realized that what we were shown and what the devs were so passionite about was in actuality only half a game with some admittedly excellent VO questing feaures, holding together some bare bones, rather dull, poorly thought out, and poorly executed MMO features.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I knew already. I read all the articles. Played 3 betas including the last one which was open to almost all.(at least everyone I knew that applied for the last beta got accepted.). Talked with highest level characters i saw in beta..some of which were just shy of max level. There was plenty of opportunity to find out about the game..to get a good idea of what it was like throughout and up to endgame. Other than the issues with textures there really wasn't any thing surprising based on what was told to us by Bioware...on what they were giving us. I surely didnt think that it would look like the cinematic trailers because I'm not an idiot...though I am disappointed that they didnt leave it up to the consumer to toggle and adjust textures to suit individual PCs . It still looks pretty good imo.

Basically ..Yes I still bought it..there were no game-breaking surprises. Game-breaking to me that is. All else i was educated on beforehand to the utmost of my ability. Now I am still enjoying the game. I like making alts and am looking forward to the fixes,changes and additions to come. One of which is finding out more about Legacy stuff.

It serves to satisfy my theme-park fix and I now have Mortal Online as my sandbox game. I'll try other games like GW2 and Archage(hopefully) in the future but for now I'm set.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It was fun for a time.

I would have paid the 60$ for the box again but I would not have paid the 30$ for two months of game time (of which 1 month is pretty much going completely wasted.)

I also would have rolled an Imperial character instead (much better stories than Republic side) and I wouldn't have rolled on a PvP server (becasue open world PvP is pointless and they seem to have MUCH lower populations.)

I think that was my big problem...

Open beta - rolled Imperial on PvE server (though never got high enough level in beta for PvE/PvP server to matter.)

But then at launch guild was going Republic PvP server and... well... I had only played the Republic class stories up to level 10/11 in beta.

No way to know how much worse they'd be compared to the Imperial. No way to know how bad the PvP was at end-game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Sure.

The game is exactly what they said it would be. No more, no less.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I sure as hell was as ashamed as I am to admit it. Once I played the game first hand I realized that what we were shown and what the devs were so passionite about was in actuality only half a game with some admittedly excellent VO questing feaures, holding together some bare bones, rather dull, poorly thought out, and poorly exicuted MMO features.

Yep.  I followed this game here on mmorpg.com for quite a while even before it was confirmed to be Star Wars, posting what circumstantial evidence I could.  I was pretty excited at the notion of BioWare taking MMORPG's to a whole new level... but then the more I learned the more I began to worry.  Then I got into beta and I knew it was too late - the design decisions made at top level ensured this was not the Star Wars MMO I was looking for.

Of course, I came back here to tell the truth... some people knew it and agreed while others flamed.  To each their own. *shrug* I wish BioWare well and all, but I'm not about to consider TOR a great MMORPG.  It's a medicore MMORPG at best with a few great storytelling features.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I sure as hell was as ashamed as I am to admit it. Once I played the game first hand I realized that what we were shown and what the devs were so passionite about was in actuality only half a game with some admittedly excellent VO questing feaures, holding together some bare bones, rather dull, poorly thought out, and poorly executed MMO features.

Respect your honesty dude, happens to us all for different things, there's a lot of folks never admit to being wrong which makes it harder to respect their views i.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Better poll would have been "Did you know what you were buying when you bought TOR?" ... The results would be exactly the same :)

• hornedtoadhornedtoad Member UncommonPosts: 39

Yes.  Leveling to 50 was very fun and worth the money.  At 50 is mindnumbing though.  I just wish I would have signed up for 1mo subscription instead of 3mos like an idiot....:(

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Takes a lot to admit this - I respect you a lot more for it.

• MorbidCurioMorbidCurio Member Posts: 127

I'm with Timukas.

Do I still play the game now?

Not really.

Do I regret buying and playing it?

No.

I've played the game more than many single-player titles that have come out. A LOT more. And that's really all that matters.

I look at it as an entertainment, nothing more and nothing less. Way cheaper than seeing a movie (figure 10 bucks for the ticket, two hours on average of entertainment) and a fraction of the cost to go out drinking. Some games aren't worth the money, but this one, for me, was.

I knew going in that it was going to be pretty run of the mill in terms of an mmo experience. It's slightly more community-driven than WoW is, but not any more innovative or fresh.

In the end it was a Star Wars game. I didn't expect it to be anything other than that. I got to blast Sith and flip around like a ninja as a Jedi.

I approached the game as a single-player experience. It had the standard mmo interactions I've come to expect, but I let myself be 'surprised' by them. I'm not really sure what you guys expected it to be. Some open-world romp? A gritty, dark experience with body parts being lopped off all over the place?

Well, it's as open world as you make it. Once you're on a planet there aren't any loading screens and the planets get huuuuuuuuuuge. Go where you want to. If you get bored just following quest chains then that's on you. Quest chains are a simplified method for leveling, but you don't have to follow them. Do some pvp, just kill massive amounts of mobs, do space missions...there are alot of other ways to level than just following the quest chains. Back in the day people WANTED a clear path to follow to level. Back in the day all you had were a few quests and a whooooole lot of mob killing. Grind, grind grind grind...that's all we had ten years ago.

Really step back and lay out what you want in a game. Then really do some research to figure out if that's possible in a persistent, online environment.  You might just find that you're not an mmo gamer. You might just find that the games you're looking for exist, but they're just single-player.

Personally, I love everything about Eve....except for the way combat works and the enormous time requirement. I've accepted that there isn't likely going to be a game like the one I'm looking for, not any time soon. Since I accepted that I've really been able to enjoy gaming once more.

Go explore the world of single-player titles for a few years and then come back to mmos. You'll probably find some really cool stuff waiting for you.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Luckily I had spent several months in beta prior to launch and saved myself $50. 

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Yes - I really liked leveling my first character. I have no regret buying the game, I played it for one month and for me it worth it. It's a nice game, maybe not as good as I wanted it, but definetly worth the buy.

And a little....

No - If I knew I would lag so much, I would have wait before buying it. Sometime it was really frustrating on some planet.

This game is getting too many hate for no real reason except people beeing stupid over-hyping it thinking it would be the best game of the next 100 years and would be 100% innovative.

There was enough infomation, video and livestream that if you're so dissapointed, you're the only one to blame to be ignorant.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

For me it's a mixed bag but the answer is NO. My reasoning is not because of the game if you read my past comments you will see I never had high expectations of Star Wars: The Old Republic. All I expected was what they originally promised and that was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic with multiplayer features (you can read that as MMO features if you want but for me I looked at it as KoTOR with grouping.) Not once did I approach the game as an MMO but as a title whose story I enjoyed in the past and wanted to experience gain. In that regards I would have bought the game again as I feel BioWare did deliver KoTOR with multiplayer. 

However Electronic Arts ruined it for me in the long run with their no stance position with SOPAPITA. I canceled my subscription and didn't bother to renew after ESA announced they are pulling their support, because the way I view it is if ESA didn't pulled their support EA would have still remained silent, which is about as bad as supporting it as far as I am concerned.

The final nail in the coffin was BioWare admitting that a major plot character in Mass Effect 3 would be DLC on day one unless you paid $20 extra for the collector’s edition. I am not going to rant about that other then to say I would be going against my moral beliefs to support them so I will never experience  the ending of one of my most favorite titles in terms of story, but I would rather miss out it then go against my beliefs.

So in short if I knew what I know now about EA on SOPAPIPA and BioWare on what I can only see as corruption in regards to DLC (there are some one day DLC’s I will accept but when it's a major plot item it's going too far) I would not have forked over my money for SWTOR. As far as I am concerned BioWare no longer exist to me, I was a huge fan back in the day but now I want nothing to do with them as they are no longer the company I loved and have become worse then the image people paint for SOE.

Thank fully there are still companies like CD Project, Piranha Bytes and even Zenimax (despite the lawsuits). ^_^

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by MorbidCurio

Go explore the world of single-player titles for a few years and then come back to mmos. You'll probably find some really cool stuff waiting for you.

I recently did that (and still am) and found many awesome single player games. To be honest had more fun in the last year than I got since 2005 or so.Yet, when I came back for SW:TOR (beta), can't honestly said I found some cool stuff waiting. My MMOs golden years (99-2004) are maybe way behind myself but I'm cool with that, I'm a gamer and there's plenty of good games waiting.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I feel I got my money's worth. Regardless, I would not have purchased it knowing that I'd hit a wall so soon.

I buy MMOs hoping for longevity.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by DeaconX

Pretty clear 'the honeymoon' is over.

Thank god I signed the pre-nump

PM before you report at least or you could just block.