Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible news about DF 2.0

DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

As a veteran gamer  i am very worried about what AV is developing there. The more the reveal, the more shit it sounds. You all know i was a very avid supporter but i cant support the insta travel back after death = limbo and the global Auction House. Its the wrong direction i wanted to see this game heading to.

I m afraid DF flushes down the toilet.

"Once ganked, a character enters a limbo state where he is able to re-equip his character with items from his bank box, and reenter the battle at a random spot relatively close to his tomb stone." update 10 feb

"Browsing any marketplace will reveal all buy and sell orders currently available all over Agon. If  an item is located at the market you are at, you can buy it right there and then. If the item is located in another marketplace you have two options: You can either travel to the market and buy it there, or you can pay a courier cost related to the item’s price, and have it delivered to your location" update Feb 23

This will kill Darkfall for me. I ll supported it for become more rich gaming experience and not for it to become WoW. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
$OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Explain why these two changes will have such a devestating effect on gameplay and why it turns darkfall into the MMO toy'r'us that is Warcraft?

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

neither of those changes make it anything comparable to WoW.. overreact moar?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I actually like the new features particularly the Market system which is similar to EVE, which to me is the best.

You still need to travel to collect your stuff or pay someone else to bring it to you, +1 sandbox feature, result

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

LOL, the game gotta be be really crappy to begin with if those two changes made you quit!

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

A character going into a limbo state, and can only re-equip items he/she has in a bank then to get re inserted into the game world randomly "somewhere" near thier body is still pretty hardcore Raiden. They still get thier body looted and lose their stuff.

Just makes it slightly faster for them to get back to the fight if they so choose.

As far as the market addition, I can't seem to understand your logic about this. So you can use a market to purchase an item that is located at the market your standing at instantly... or you have to pay a fee for it to be brought to you... or go get it yourself?

Where is the problem with this? Sounds pretty realistic to me.

So I go to a department store in Real life and they have my item so I buy it and walk away...

OR

They don't have my product and I have to order it from another town/city and they bring it to the store I am at...

OR

I drive my happy butt to the other town/city and pick it up myself. Seems realistic to me.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Atheenah

LOL, the game gotta be be really crappy to begin with if those two changes made you quit!

hes a ganker, if you can dress in armor on corpse runs he cant camp and snipe you naked.

and if you can buy stuff in the safety of the town youre in from other towns, he cant camp you in that one town if it didnt have armor for sale to naked gank you as you left to go to another to regear.

basically the 2 changes negatively effect campers that wanna kill naked people repeatedly.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Originally posted by neorandom

Originally posted by Atheenah

hes a ganker, if you can dress in armor on corpse runs he cant camp and snipe you naked.

and if you can buy stuff in the safety of the town youre in from other towns, he cant camp you in that one town if it didnt have armor for sale to naked gank you as you left to go to another to regear.

basically the 2 changes negatively effect campers that wanna kill naked people repeatedly.

^this makes much more sense now.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

They already stated that the limbo thing was gonna be A. expensive and B. on a huge cooldown.

As for the global market...Whats wrong?

You can only buy things and recieve them if your in the market,Otherwise your paying for a service to have it delivered, Have you never bought anything in DF? Usually when you set up a deal you have to negotiate how your gonna recieve the goods...How is this any different? Sounds convenient to me and im sure it will not be cheap to move things from one side of agon to the other.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Arakazi

Explain why these two changes will have such a devestating effect on gameplay and why it turns darkfall into the MMO toy'r'us that is Warcraft?

Since i started to anticipate Darkfall i thought of it as a sandbox game. As a potentially medievel EvE  with groundplay.  There is just more or less sandbox abd Darkfall had the potential to become a really good game.

This two changes means less sandbox and  pulls Darkfall into themepark WoW paradigm, which for me personally doesn't even represent MMORPG's.   

About the limbo state. Darkfall isn't  a FPS shooter, it has to justify the MMORPG's part of it  . If i wanted a FPS MMO i would play WWIIOnline which is the most realistic and most skillfull represant of that playstyle. Choose a class jump into action, fight, someone wins, campaign and result reset after some time.

Your actions need to have an impact on the world . Something AV has advertised  DF with. Now with this change location doesn't  play much of a role. A clan starts a war on the other side of the world with litle to no care about logistics and even skill. Just have the numbers and with time and less skill even the most skillfull opponent will be defeated over time on the most distant point of the map because incapped peeps just get back into the fight. Paying doesn't  replace playing IMO. So with this mechanic you don|t outplay someone but outpay him.

AV  promised an authentic   gameplay. "What you do is what you get" so to speak. More and more features  become replaced by "pay your way out" simplicistic mechanics.  Which and that could be the reason it become now installed is the foundation  for future possible  "pay to win" cash shops. 

Another reason to now trash Darkfall away.

Now to the second. As you can imagine the spirit from where i come now. Insta retrieving  items on global delivery: Destroys any caravans that could have been created to get goods from one point to another. Any ambushes some thievs would have created on the way.  Any taxes some playerbuilded  Kingdom would impose on those caravans trespassing their border. Any mercenaries for hire to protect the goods. In conjuction with regional materials any need to have to  travel to different regions In short any player driven rich gameplay experience.  

DF 2.0  will be more blunt and shallow as the laucnhed version gameplay wise.

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by Arakazi

Since i started to anticipate Darkfall i thought of it as a sandbox game. As a potentially medievel EvE  with groundplay.  There is just more or less sandbox abd Darkfall had the potential to become a really good game.

This two changes means less sandbox and  pulls Darkfall into themepark WoW paradigm, which for me personally doesn't even represent MMORPG's.   

About the limbo state. Darkfall isn't  a FPS shooter, it has to justify the MMORPG's part of it  . If i wanted a FPS MMO i would play WWIIOnline which is the most realistic and most skillfull represant of that playstyle. Choose a class jump into action, fight, someone wins, campaign and result reset after some time.

Your actions need to have an impact on the world . Something AV has advertised  DF with. Now with this change location doesn't  play much of a role. A clan starts a war on the other side of the world with litle to no care about logistics and even skill. Just have the numbers and with time and less skill even the most skillfull opponent will be defeated over time on the most distant point of the map because incapped peeps just get back into the fight. Paying doesn't  replace playing IMO. So with this mechanic you don|t outplay someone but outpay him.

AV  promised an authentic   gameplay. "What you do is what you get" so to speak. More and more features  become replaced by "pay your way out" simplicistic mechanics.  Which and that could be the reason become now installed for a future possible  pay to win cash shops.  

Another reason to trash Darkfall away.

Now to the second. As you can imagine the spirit from where i come now. Insta retrieving  items on global delivery . Destroys any caravans that could have been created to get goods from one point to another. Any ambushes some thievs would have created on the way.  Any taxes some playerbuilded  Kingdom would impose on those caravans trespassing their border. Any mercenaries for hire to protect the goods. In conjuction with regional materials any need to have to  travel to different regions In short any player driven rich gameplay experience.  

DF 2.0  will be more blunt and shallow as the laucnhed version gameplay wise.

They removed portals from keeps in DF2.0.

Wouldnt this be pure speculation?, how do we know the global delivery system is instant?,Didnt they say something about contracts like they have in EVE?

We will know soon enough.

The colors where a bit confusing, but how we know ? read the quote more carefully please

"you can buy it right there and then."

The remove portals fromplayer cities  yes but just to replace it with a general, universal ability  to insta come back to fight.

The colors where a bit confusing, but how we know ? read the quote more carefully please

The remove portals fromplayer cities  yes but just to replace it with a general, universal ability  to insta come back to fight.

Oh you were referring to the limbo system?

Well there gonna be on a daily cooldown i believe and "expensive" to quote the DF blog, Doesnt sound very dependable imo and if you read the blog you can tell there being very carefull with how they implement it, we reallty dont have all the details yet.

Originally posted by youngkg

Well there gonna be on a daily cooldown i believe and "expensive" to quote the DF blog, Doesnt sound very dependable imo and if you read the blog you can tell there being very carefull with how they implement it, we reallty dont have all the details yet.

Why not instead dumb down these two changes and instead make some meaningfull use of  whats already there. Example

Make a type  of hulk  bearing the ability to deploy as a mobile camp (can bound on it for spawn and has local storage attached for equipement).

The same type can be used for transport goods and create the trader caravans between the local ! market spots.

Ready is  a player driven mechanic which would create a lot of gameplay interaction between players.

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

I would have to agree with DarkRaiden on this one. Sounds like they are taking out the sand of the box instead of pouring more into it. And it sounds like they are making way for future cash shops as well. Buy your way to victory. I was interested in giving DF 2.0 a shoot, but this sure didn´t win me over more. It rather set me back. Will have to see what they will do once it´s finalized.

Originally posted by youngkg

Why not instead dumb down these two changes and instead make some meaningfull use of  whats already there. Example

Make a type  of hulk  bearing the ability to deploy as a mobile camp (can bound on it for spawn and has local storage attached for equipement).

The same type can be used for transport goods and create the trader caravans between the local ! market spots.

Ready is  a player driven mechanic which would create a lot of gameplay interaction between players.

Uhh, Thats an awesome idea but let me clarify im not an AV apologist or anything lol....

I simply dont take the new changes as a deal breaker for me, and tbh i hate the limbo system thing....doubt it will even make it into DF2.0 after the negative backlash, But even if it does...imo the good still outweighs the bad at this point.

I just hope we start getting some more good announcements like the removal of the port keep system.

Originally posted by ste2000

I actually like the new features particularly the Market system which is similar to EVE, which to me is the best.

You still need to travel to collect your stuff or pay someone else to bring it to you, +1 sandbox feature, result

How you need to travel if you can browse and retrieve any item on the world there where you stand within some NPC city (also at a chaos city, but let me do a prophecy here no one will use chaos city - market on important things)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

"Browsing any marketplace will reveal all buy and sell orders currently available all over Agon. If  an item is located at the market you are at, you can buy it right there and then. If the item is located in another marketplace you have two options: You can either travel to the market and buy it there, or you can pay a courier cost related to the item’s price, and have it delivered to your location" update Feb 23

That sounds like it pretty much destroys the localized markets and the potential for trade between hubs.

I'd agree that is a step in the wrong direction.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

I already think global banking is terrible...  but global trading is another step in the wrong direction.

The limbo state will favor zergs over smaller, skilled groups.  A small group might be able to wipe a larger force through skill, but when they keep coming back, the smaller group will suffer attrition and won't be able to come back as fast as the larger force.

Limbo regear is a terrible idea, even if it has limits.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Global market is ok, so long as you have to pick up yourself or it be delivered by player driven mechanism at the most. Keep some regional flavours to games.
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

When you make this statement you've pretty much blown any credibility that you may have had on the topic. This is what I read: "If a MMORPG has any feature that remotely resembles a feature in WoW then it's 100% intentionally a rip off of WoW and the game is a WoW-clone and therefore isn't a real MMORPG."

If you, or anyone else, cannot come up with a reason that doesn't involve WoW then I pretty much assume you're an idiot that is going to whine and cry over any change that you do not personally like. Additionally, you lack any original thought whatsoever which is why you rely on the WoW argument for everything. Given these two assumptions, why does your opinion matter to me? Why should I take you seriously and try to get AV to reconsider these decisions?

You people that run around crying about every little thing being a WoW-clone or a rip off of WoW are like the boy who cries wolf. For a while people people payed attention and tried to find out what was going on, but it's so (wrongly) overused that most people just ignore you now. I bet a million dollars that developers are sick and tired of hearing people whine about WoW this and WoW that and at this point probably just ignore most of the comments that even mention WoW.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

The reason for these changes and the fact that they are making DF 2.0 in the first place is because there was no risk to being in a naked zerg yet everyone else had to take the risk. Since the game itself was broken and not what they intended they are remaking the game to fix the mistakes with allowing naked zergs to run around all powerful.

That is all it is! They are fixing what was broken in DF 1.0 and making 2.0. So the OP doesn't have to play it if he doesn't want to play it. No one cares.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by RefMinor

Global market is ok, so long as you have to pick up yourself or it be delivered by player driven mechanism at the most. Keep some regional flavours to games.

That depends on if the game wants trade and industry to be professions themselves.  Seeing global prices at a glance makes good deals too obvious and eliminates to possibility of local market manipulation.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I don't get it. By making it more convenient to buy stuff on the market and quicker way to get back into battle, when dying, that will destroy Darkfall?

Seems to me that they are simply making the game more accessable. Never understood the huge timesinks that games like DF and Eve has. What exactly does it add to the game experience?

And dont tell me that it makes death meaningless because you will still lose all your stuff.

Besides, neither of these two aspects has anything to do with sandbox. Pointless timesinks are not an inherent feature of sandbox MMOs.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I don't see any issue with the global market addition.  Assuming there is a fee for buying outside of the market and a delay in time that it takes to reach you, what's the big deal?  Some act as if this will remove any open PvP from the game.  There will still be people out PvE'ing.  They aren't removing the spawns from the game are they?  There will still be territory control.  It sounds more like a gankers mindset.  The ganker is just upset that the new player is offered a little bit of safety.  That's how I see it.

I personally don't like respawning on your corpse, or near it, with the ability to re-equip yourself.  If it were to take five minutes to respawn, then I don't see it being a huge deal.  Then I think of what made DAoC so great in their frontiers, speaking of the portal keeps.  They were on timers, and blocking reinforcements was a great strategy.  Allowing large forces to respawn and regroup within minutes makes things significantly less strategic and realistic when it comes to territory warfare.

I feel that having a mobile cart/hulk/whatever bind point with a cache of gear or a global bank on it would be far more beneficial to both defending and assulting forces.  Defenders will want to find it and destroy it, while the assaulting force will want to keep it safe and secret.  It's a mini-game for scout type characters, and adds another dimension to the fight.  Maybe the DF designers can't figure out how to implement a feature.  Hasn't been the first time.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I dunno, I can see how these changes are different, but not really how they are either really good or really bad. 

But I don't play the current title as it is designed so perhaps it means more to those who do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

This discussion has been closed.