Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] How do you view Bioware after SW:TOR?

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by dubyahite
    I honestly don't see what the big deal with the ME3 DLC. it's always some side story that is barely relevant to the main game.

The ME 2 DLC was very forgettable. People say they aren't getting the whole game, your missing out on a single side quest that barely even matters.

They could have released the same DLC in a few weeks and Boone would even care about it. I wouldn't even buy it based on experience with previous ME DLC.
    I tell you what the deal is.
    a) Some content is ONLY inside the Digital Deluxe edition, among it a Protean companion, and given how central the Proteans are to the entire ME story, I say that is frigging important and not arbitrary!
    b) Putting a DLC even at launch means the normal box has cut content they sell extra ON TOP of the already hefty box price of $60 for a NORMAL PC version. Which is already insane expensive!
    c) The DLC content gets larger and larger, and especially Bioware & EA are always selling smaller content for more money. Some of the DA DLC content was $7 or something for a mere 1 hour playtime! Given a normal expansion pack of $30 gives me 10-20 hours, that is extortion! This trend to take out content and add it as DLC to make even more money is just plain WRONG!
    d) EA continues it's policy to make re-selling your game impossible by "Origin" and content bound to one player. I VIVIDLY oppose that. If I pay 60 bucks, EA got my share for the development of the game. It then should be MY PROPERTY, and that includes my right to sell that game. Period. I mean, what comes next? Forbidding to resell used books or cars? That minimizes the profit of car companies and book authors, but no one would use that argument to make reselling impossible.

This is a bad development of things I can not support. So for me it's a clear boycott.

Apart from vividly not really being the word you want in that context, I agree completely with everything you said. There was a time when I could buy something, a book or a game, and it was mine. I owned it. I could sell it to someone else. I could lend the book or CDs to a friend, and if I liked it, they might get the same book or game to keep for themselves. Hell, even Starcraft had a spawn copy mode that let people play it a bit to get a taste, so they could know what the game was like before they bought it. Imagine a company doing that now!

Now, I don't own games or ebooks so much as rent them from companies. Even Steam, which I use and like because of the convenience and sales and lack of a better option for many games, especially indie ones, is really just a way to prevent me from truly owning the games I buy. What I am paying for these days is the right to play what someone else owns. Even the EULA or TOS say this, if not in so many words.

It's wrong, but I don't see a way to get them to stop. They know we will keep buying these things, because we want to consume the entertainment. So why let us really own the merchandise when it doesn't stop us buying stuff?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• ArgoZex77ArgoZex77 Member Posts: 40

Bioware RAPED the Star Wars franchise into oblivion. Their game is a complete failure.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    @argozex77

No, George Lucas did that long before this game came out.

Bioware did a better job with the SW universe (story wise) than Lucas did with the prequels, hands down.

If you don't believe that, then have fun at the Phantom Menace in 3D!

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

My opinion didn't change at all. I still like them, they aren't my favorite developer but they are one of the few I will always check out. Heck been playing a mixture of ToR and ME2 at the moment. I'm preparing for the ME3 which will probably be just as epic as ME2 :D

Was looking at my origin account, and I think the 5 out of 8 games I own are bioware lol.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont have a favorite game company so i never had BW on a throne. After SWtor i still have the same view of BW  i had before,  just another gaming company. Not a bad one but certainly not the best one. All the people who voted "yes, for the worst" were way overhyped before the game released and now they want BW's head lol

Thats why i dont have preferences over any gaming company. You never know when you will get disappointed.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Ok, hvent played a BW game before *gasp*  dont have time for much more than mmorpgs and well its their first.  So here is my unbiased view on them after playing their game for a bit.

Things i know are not their fault include the standard issue wow-park format...they didnt make it that way and im sure they were locked into doing it from the owner of the IP's lust for dollars over anything unique or quality.

They did solid cutscenes...voice over...facial expression..hand gestures...camera angle...character movement...was very impressive.  No more automatron mouth movement off key and stationary character with a repeating cycle of movement not based on whats being said.  They really know their shit when it comes to making a quiality movie cutscene...even if it is a mundane and short one...very good stuff and sets a new standard that wont be matched anytime soon...

The worlds are well done but you can see and hear their mmorpg developing noobyness.  Exhaustion zones are no bueno for mmorpg, especially when its an easily accessable area.. i dont like to die because i went to see whats over there near the edge of the map...and it wasnt anything but empty desert or snow fields.

Also their world was far too restrictive.  Unless programmed path, any sort of non flat area was a no go.  Slight rolling hill? need to find the programmed part that allows you to run over it or it acts like a 10 foot vertical incline that you cant scale (even if it is if theres a programmed path youll go up it)

THe above mentioned open world issues might fly in a FPS or a single player game, but in a mmorpg you need to explore and i dont like being restricted by small rolling hills or imaginary "your dead now" zones (only game ive seen do this right was fallen earth and high radiation zones...made sense why im dying at least)

Client customization was another mmorpg developer noob mistake.  We all like custimization of the UI and the graphics/sound ect because all out systems are diffrent and we want to maximize quality and preformance.  Can be fealt during lv50 RvR battles...i cant turn off others animations...too much ruckus with the scenery (bombs jets flying over lazers flying over me) the scenery is taking too much GPU/CPU and doesnt effect the outcome of the fight.  People wonder why a decent systemis getting single diget FPS (people with the best system money can by are getting low 20's though). Sound constantly cuts out as if the client is trying to produce every sound on the screen...it shouldnt if that number exceed what soundcards can produce ect.

Theres a lot of issues with the game mechanically ect that i cant blame on them.  For their first entry into the genere they released a decent game.  They didnt go off the beaten wow-park path, and not sure they would have been allowed to by the owners of the ip.

They need to tweak the client, allow us to maximize our systems capabilities, current settings are what you expect on a counsol game... Need tweak the game engin and terrain to expect that if they can see it people will try to go there, and will not enjoy pointless limitations, this goes for a slight hills and inclines being unscalable. 

My gripes are minor since the game is playable.  I will look forward to a new developer in the mmorpg genere.  Even if its not the gratest game ever...im glad lucas forked them over  a ton of money to make the game rather than blizzard/EA/sony ect.

My hopes is that once they get the lucas monkey off their back they will be able to make a mmorpg thats non a wow-park and something diffrent...since the current developer ppowerhouses wont touch anything other than that.

Damn i wrote too much...TLDR: see the guys post above me...

• DthRevanDthRevan Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

BIOWARE...

Sorry guys, had to :P

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Ok, hvent played a BW game before *gasp*  dont have time for much more than mmorpgs and well its their first.  So here is my unbiased view on them after playing their game for a bit.

Things i know are not their fault include the standard issue wow-park format...they didnt make it that way and im sure they were locked into doing it from the owner of the IP's lust for dollars over anything unique or quality.

They did solid cutscenes...voice over...facial expression..hand gestures...camera angle...character movement...was very impressive.  No more automatron mouth movement off key and stationary character with a repeating cycle of movement not based on whats being said.  They really know their shit when it comes to making a quiality movie cutscene...even if it is a mundane and short one...very good stuff and sets a new standard that wont be matched anytime soon...

The worlds are well done but you can see and hear their mmorpg developing noobyness.  Exhaustion zones are no bueno for mmorpg, especially when its an easily accessable area.. i dont like to die because i went to see whats over there near the edge of the map...and it wasnt anything but empty desert or snow fields.

Also their world was far too restrictive.  Unless programmed path, any sort of non flat area was a no go.  Slight rolling hill? need to find the programmed part that allows you to run over it or it acts like a 10 foot vertical incline that you cant scale (even if it is if theres a programmed path youll go up it)

THe above mentioned open world issues might fly in a FPS or a single player game, but in a mmorpg you need to explore and i dont like being restricted by small rolling hills or imaginary "your dead now" zones (only game ive seen do this right was fallen earth and high radiation zones...made sense why im dying at least)

Client customization was another mmorpg developer noob mistake.  We all like custimization of the UI and the graphics/sound ect because all out systems are diffrent and we want to maximize quality and preformance.  Can be fealt during lv50 RvR battles...i cant turn off others animations...too much ruckus with the scenery (bombs jets flying over lazers flying over me) the scenery is taking too much GPU/CPU and doesnt effect the outcome of the fight.  People wonder why a decent systemis getting single diget FPS (people with the best system money can by are getting low 20's though). Sound constantly cuts out as if the client is trying to produce every sound on the screen...it shouldnt if that number exceed what soundcards can produce ect.

Theres a lot of issues with the game mechanically ect that i cant blame on them.  For their first entry into the genere they released a decent game.  They didnt go off the beaten wow-park path, and not sure they would have been allowed to by the owners of the ip.

They need to tweak the client, allow us to maximize our systems capabilities, current settings are what you expect on a counsol game... Need tweak the game engin and terrain to expect that if they can see it people will try to go there, and will not enjoy pointless limitations, this goes for a slight hills and inclines being unscalable. 

My gripes are minor since the game is playable.  I will look forward to a new developer in the mmorpg genere.  Even if its not the gratest game ever...im glad lucas forked them over  a ton of money to make the game rather than blizzard/EA/sony ect.

My hopes is that once they get the lucas monkey off their back they will be able to make a mmorpg thats non a wow-park and something diffrent...since the current developer ppowerhouses wont touch anything other than that.

Damn i wrote too much...TLDR: see the guys post above me...

EA did make this game. Thats the problem with it. I"m not sure if anymore Bioware games will ever be made.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I don't really have much experience with Bioware in the first place.  I will say that they needed more experienced MMO developers on their team, though.  They really put all their eggs in one basket.  I also find it silly that they went with the same engine as WAR.  Really?  Why would you do that?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It definitely went down.  They clearly didn't do their homework on MMOs and past release mistakes.

• DthRevanDthRevan Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by bleyzwun

I don't really have much experience with Bioware in the first place.  I will say that they needed more experienced MMO developers on their team, though.  They really put all their eggs in one basket.  I also find it silly that they went with the same engine as WAR.  Really?  Why would you do that?

Ummm do some research SWTOR did not use the same game engine as WAR.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by DthRevan

Originally posted by bleyzwun

Ummm do some research SWTOR did not use the same game engine as WAR.

Well... could have fooled me.  I have the same issues as WAR.  Crazy lag in Open World PvP.  I get stuck on objects in the environment ALL the time.  Ability lag causing my character to spaz out.  

And before someone says I need a better PC.  It might not be the best but I have a 3.30 GHz i5, 12GB RAM, and a GTX560.  Pretty sure it should be able to handle the game.  

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

No, not really. All the did for me is show they cant make an MMO. Thats just my opinion though. As far as Bioware goes I always thought of them as a company able to tell great single player stories and they didnt disapoint me with that aspect in TOR.

As far as MMO's go I'm looking for games to offer something diffrent. Thats why I tried rift. Liked it for a short while but "rifts" got old fast being so static. I'll be picking up Tera for the combat alone. In paticular the healing. I love healing in MMO's and it just looks interesting. Same with GW2. I'll be picking that up just because it looks "Diffrent". If I dont like either of these games I wont think less of the company I will just realize I'm burnt out on the MMO genra in general.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

In my eyes they are following the path of Square. 

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Couldn't say that SWTOR changed my views on Bioware, because I didn't play it. DA2, for me, sent Bioware products from autobuy to rent or wait for free trail.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by ArgoZex77

Bioware RAPED the Star Wars franchise into oblivion. Their game is a complete failure.

I would not go that far but for an MMOG it is certainly a dissapointment. As a single player RPG I would say it is alright, even good, but problem is that it is not a single player RPG.

What made it really bad for me is the condascending remarks they made about SWG and how they dont want to have players playing a moisture farmer, like that is all SWG was about. Say what you want about SWG but as an MMOG it was vastly, vastly superior to SW:TOR.

Space combat, how they handled Jedi's (not everyone could be a Jedi from the get go) was simply so much better than this space on rails tripe and everyone, and their uncle and their dog, can be a Jedi. More over the lifeless world of SW:TOR cant hold a candle to SWGs rich and open ended world. Contrary to what mmorpg.com thinks, voice acting alone does not make a rich and vibrant world.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Most over done statement I have seen, I'll tell my guild and all the people that are still playing and loving it that the game failed and we all need to leave.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by Yamota

I would not go that far but for an MMOG it is certainly a dissapointment. As a single player RPG I would say it is alright, even good, but problem is that it is not a single player RPG.

What made it really bad for me is the condascending remarks they made about SWG and how they dont want to have players playing a moisture farmer, like that is all SWG was about. Say what you want about SWG but as an MMOG it was vastly, vastly superior to SW:TOR.

Space combat, how they handled Jedi's (not everyone could be a Jedi from the get go) was simply so much better than this space on rails tripe and everyone, and their uncle and their dog, can be a Jedi. More over the lifeless world of SW:TOR cant hold a candle to SWGs rich and open ended world. Contrary to what mmorpg.com thinks, voice acting alone does not make a rich and vibrant world.

I guess u dont like themepark mmo's :P

just saying

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Exactly, and I couldn't imagine it going any worse after the prequel movies.

I'm a huge fan of the original movies and all they stand for. But I really can't understand today's SW fans. It's like adoring someone who beats up your dog and then smears it with shit.

Guys, just stop and think. You kill Revan (whoever he is, some kind of a sith head honcho I believe) for his PANTS?! I mean what has this to do with Star Wars? I've never seen a game so much divorced from the essence of the IP. It's like making an Aliens game where you jump on Aliens' heads, turn them into flowers with your magical wand and collect their magical essences to complete a rainbow.

"Rape" is exactly what EA/Bioware did with the IP and I really cannot comprehend the defensive logic of the SW fans. They should be the the first up in arms about this, manning the barricades to protect their beloved world. I can't explain it except with primitive tribalism - "my IP, right or wrong" lol.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

I'm a huge fan of the original movies and all they stand for. But I really can't understand today's SW fans. It's like adoring someone who beats up your dog and then smears it with shit.

Guys, just stop and think. You kill Revan (whoever he is, some kind of a sith head honcho I believe) for his PANTS?! I mean what has this to do with Star Wars? I've never seen a game so much divorced from the essence of the IP. It's like making an Aliens game where you jump on Aliens' heads, turn them into flowers with your magical wand and collect their magical essences to complete a rainbow.

"Rape" is exactly what EA/Bioware did with the IP and I really cannot comprehend the defensive logic of the SW fans. They should be the the first up in arms about this, manning the barricades to protect their beloved world. I can't explain it except with primitive tribalism - "my IP, right or wrong" lol.

Heh, putting it that way really shows how absurd it is.

But at least it was in line. My Jedi got a pair of pants as end reward for saving the galaxy at lv 50 story-end. And not funny, it was the damn same pants I already had bought, the same model you get dozens of in the AH. Doh.

The overall focus really was less Star Warsy than it could have been. Even the SWG "Uncle Owen" approach would have been better than this. So yeah. It was essentially a SW rape.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

i would rather drink bottles of strong laxative and spend a day on the toilet before i play anotther EA/Bioware game.

it's not even funny like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NwcVJMvVWDA#t=26s

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

My view on BW has not changed.

They have been producing single player games with a playstyle I don't enjoy, i.e. story-driven, dialogue-heavy games with severly limited player freedom and cheesy characters - usually with an art style I don't enjoy; I thought DA1 looked really bland and boring, and I usually like "dark" settings.

Over time, these games have catered more and more to the casual, console-bred market (DA2 was horrible in almost every aspect).

So naturally, when they make an MMO based on the watered-down SW IP it's going to be bland, story-driven, dialogue-heavy and catering to the casual, brain-dead masses who like to be led along and told what to do. Add the EA suits and you've got a game that I will never play.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

Rape sounds like the proper description of what went on here. Personally I thought we where getting a new way to play mmo's, with a focus on story. What we got instead was WOW in space with Text dialogue replaced by VA cutscenes. They added some interesting features with the crew skills...but even they had no use at end game. The end game is 100% pure wow clone. Which if you like gear grind based pvp and grinding bugged raid instances is great.

Don't get me wrong, I played to 50. Completed the single player story and I thought it was alright. Certainly not seeing the promised "Kotor 3,4,5,6,7 all rolled in one" crap they where spewing for some time. Game was just way overhyped for what it is and also fails to be different or better then wow. The game is set out to compete with. I cancelled my sub a week ago and haven't looked back. Biggest MMO dissapointment since AOC imo.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Heh, putting it that way really shows how absurd it is.

But at least it was in line. My Jedi got a pair of pants as end reward for saving the galaxy at lv 50 story-end. And not funny, it was the damn same pants I already had bought, the same model you get dozens of in the AH. Doh.

The overall focus really was less Star Warsy than it could have been. Even the SWG "Uncle Owen" approach would have been better than this. So yeah. It was essentially a SW rape.

Noble Jedi, you have just saved us all from certain destruction!  And now you shall receive your well earned reward from one of these exciting prizes:

A.  The eternal gratitude of the galaxy's people.

B.  The ability to live a long happy life of peace and quiet contemplation.

C.  Pants.

SWTOR chose C :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

I used to view Bioware as one of  the great dev's. I would have put BW up there with Valve, RIOT, TRION, THQ as my favorite dev's.

Now I view BW as a subsidary of EA and like all EA subisdaries BW no longer cares about gamers. BW is just another company in a long list that have taken the golden paycheck and left their company in the hands of middle managers that were placed by EA because they smiled alot and shook hands in a very agreeable way.